Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I do not advertise to people that I like anime. I simply lay traps.
Oh, you recognize the symbol on my pin?
You fool. You've sown the seeds to your own destruction. Let me tell you about Madoka Magicka...

e: Whotta snype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
I like Rick and Morty, it is a generally very funny show. When the fan base got infested with insufferable assholes I stopped interacting with the fan base and continued enjoying the funny science man show.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I enjoy the writing of David Foster Wallace but I will knee the sack of anyone who talks about how everybody should read Infinite Jest

dude was an utter piece of poo poo, though

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I like Solar Opposites, it's got the sci-fi comedy of Rick & Morty with better characters. There's no god like character like Rick, the aliens are always failing and making fools of themselves with their misunderstandings. They also don't hate each other, which I find show's like Family Guy & RM do that for cheap laughs and it gets too predictable.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Willatron posted:

I like Rick and Morty, it is a generally very funny show. When the fan base got infested with insufferable assholes I stopped interacting with the fan base and continued enjoying the funny science man show.

I get that it’s a genuine case of #notallfans, but I’m sure you can see why people might also assume the worst as well.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Not only that, but again it's not just a matter of vanity or worrying about other people's perceptions of you as this or that fan.
Even if you think you're consuming something with open eyes and awareness it's still going to have an effect on you.

My dad started off mostly hate watching Bill Maher, talking about how he could see Maher's flaws clearly, etc etc and now he's just hooting and hollering along with the rest of the audience.
South Park is one of the best examples of this sorta mind poisoning.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Conveniently, Rick and Morty got a lot shittier right around the time the fanbase became insufferable.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Communist Walrus posted:

I dug a labyrinth under my house and blocked it off with a hatch from a decommissioned fallout shelter. It is only there, deep below the earth, that I can safely enjoy Rick & Morty and not live in abject terror that a random passerby might see me watching it and think I'm one of those fans.

I think what people mean (or at least maybe what Das Boo meant) isn't necessarily "I don't want to be associated with the fans" (though that is true) but more "there's something about this show that attracts bad actors, and I don't want to support that"

Like with the Civil War Reenactment example, the thing that is attracting bad actors is getting to live out fantasies about being in / fighting for the confederacy.

"Something" about R&M appears to attract lovely people, so maybe some people don't want to engage with a show that has that something buried in it. Maybe it's the views of the creator(s), or maybe it's a subtext of the show that is easy to miss at first but becomes more apparent as the show goes on, it could be anything. But it's not unreasonable to go "oh hey, this show tends to attract a type of person I don't like, there may be things about this show that I dislike enough not to watch it"

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
That seems a bit of a stretch to me. MLP attracts weird adult men with deviant sexual desires, I don't then think letting children watch MLP will turn them into sexual deviants. I like South Park (even the newer episodes are decent) but it isn't like I watch the earlier episodes deriding climate change as an environmentalist conspiracy and think "Hmmm, well this show IS funny, so maybe i should take everything it says seriously and let it guide my world views!"

In the case of Rick and Morty, I've met those same kind of insufferable fans in a dozen other fan bases for a dozen different kinds of fandoms and it's always a case of the person already being an insufferable rear end in a top hat and merely using their fandom as a conduit for that. Guys who unironically think they're "a Rick" or whatever would be latching on to some other fictional character that is "the cool guy" in some other fictional narrative if it weren't R&M, in my opinion.

I get that nobody is immune to propaganda, I just don't think 18-20 year old edgelords identifying with totally rad Mary Sue cartoon characters falls under that umbrella.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Not speaking for anyone else, but at least for me if I avoid something because of distaste for its fans, it's not usually because of anything wrong with the media (e.g. 'Nightmare Before Christmas') or that I'm worried about becoming one of "those guys", so much as I don't want anyone else to think I am. Sort of like if you learn that neo-fascists really love some brand and color of polo shirt, so you stop wearing yours. Not because of anything inherently wrong with the shirt, or that you're worried the shirt will turn you into a nazi somehow, but just because you don't want to be mistakenly identified with that group of people.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

CodfishCartographer posted:

I think what people mean (or at least maybe what Das Boo meant) isn't necessarily "I don't want to be associated with the fans" (though that is true) but more "there's something about this show that attracts bad actors, and I don't want to support that"

Like with the Civil War Reenactment example, the thing that is attracting bad actors is getting to live out fantasies about being in / fighting for the confederacy.

"Something" about R&M appears to attract lovely people, so maybe some people don't want to engage with a show that has that something buried in it. Maybe it's the views of the creator(s), or maybe it's a subtext of the show that is easy to miss at first but becomes more apparent as the show goes on, it could be anything. But it's not unreasonable to go "oh hey, this show tends to attract a type of person I don't like, there may be things about this show that I dislike enough not to watch it"

I think it's because the show's premise is perfectly primed for those type of people. "Haha nothing matters so gently caress it, be a dick, who cares" is the show's big statement. Naturally, angsty teenagers and 20-something edgelords who never grew out of their teenage angsty phase are going to eat that poo poo up. I think I'd have more respect for the show if they directly tried to combat these fans. BoJack Horseman, for example, went well out of its way to ensure the audience would know that BoJack isn't someone to idolize. Rick, on the other hand, is never ever wrong, he's an unstoppable God who always wins no matter how cynical his reasoning is. I initially really enjoyed the first two seasons because it was nice to finally see something on Adult Swim with some actual effort put into it again, but with season 3 and 4 and the stigma behind the show now I actually retroactively enjoy seasons 1 and 2 less. I can't hear most of what Rick says without imagining some sneering neckbeard edgelord nodding along with him, for instance.

And then there's the forced character drama in the show. The stereotypical Rick and Morty fan has probably never watched anything deeper than everything else on Adult Swim, so Rick and Morty having some layers to its characters is going to seem super deep and thought provoking to them. This only adds to the "you have to be really smart to enjoy Rick and Morty" takes.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I liked The Midnight Gospel a lot.

For some reason Dr. Drew is the first episode but even that one isn't all that bad.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

CodfishCartographer posted:

I never tried watching Rick and Morty because I didn't think I would enjoy it. I don't think I have much in common with the creepy fans so I didn't know what would I get out of it.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Rick and Morty appeals to the worst people because it's a show written by nerds that appeals to nerds and deals with more obtuse concepts. That alone doesn't make the show intelligent.

I feel like if you watch the show, you're not supposed to take Rick as this ultimate god who is never wrong. Nor is he an absolute poo poo pile - he's a flawed human being. Then again, in the first season, he basically was just an rear end in a top hat Doc Brown, and people started reading him as something more than that. But throughout, they show Rick as a fundamentally unhappy person.

It becomes the problem of making an antiwar film. You know how many people joined the Marines because of Full Metal Jacket - a film that depicts training as psychological and physical torture to the point where a soldier literally blows his brains out with a rifle, and then goes and shows war as this horrible thing where you're likely to just die randomly and be forced to do hosed up things? People will misinterpret things and see it as cool.

Don't watch Rick and Morty and try to understand the shitlord fans. Watch it and if you enjoy it, cool. And if you hate it, cool.

Just accept that you need a high IQ to appreciate a show that features a joke where Morty has sex with a sex bot and ends up fathering a child. Only people with high IQs can appreciate that.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
You'll never guess who I saw watching Rick & Morty in a labyrinth under their house. They must be one of "those" fans

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Now, let's spend the next couple of pages of this thread discussing Paradise PD

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Whizzing Wizard posted:

I've never seen it but I hear Paradise PD fans only eat marmite every day.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

For some reason Dr. Drew is the first episode but even that one isn't all that bad.

I tried giving it a fair shake until I realized it was just a boring podcast using unrelated cartoon visuals to mask its true nature.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Tree Bucket posted:

You'll never guess who I saw watching Rick & Morty in a labyrinth under their house. They must be one of "those" fans

:ohdear:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Ultimately, I think both concerns are fair: It's valid to not want to expose yourself to the rallying point of a toxic community and it's also valid to not want others to associate you with that toxic community. A consideration that might've benefited Matt Groening when he was invited on the Lolita Express. :v:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Das Boo posted:

I do not advertise to people that I like anime. I simply lay traps.
Oh, you recognize the symbol on my pin?
You fool. You've sown the seeds to your own destruction. Let me tell you about Madoka Magicka...

e: Whotta snype.

That gets its own thing going since a ton of magical girl anime is straight up lesbians and all over the place queer themes which you basically almost never see anywhere else

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

PostNouveau posted:

I could not loving stand that poo poo, I would rather wacth zombie simpsons and I'd rather go for a walk alone at night in a thunderstorm than do that

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

My favorite Rick and Morty thing was going to Gencon in I think 2018 and seeing a half dozen father son pairs cosplaying as the dynamic duo of Rick and Short Rick. Makes sense, even if you agree that Morty is the better person you don't want to BE Morty.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Whizzing Wizard posted:

That show was made by the same guy who made Brickleberry, the worst show I have ever seen. Like, Allen Gregory was terrible, but it was at least fascinating in how terrible it was. Brickleberry was just terrible in a bland, boring way. The animation looks like those cheap Facebook avatars people used to do, the writing felt like people who hated laughter trying to write comedy, and the whole thing was unpleasant.

I have no reason to suspect that Paradise PD is anything different.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Holy poo poo, I forgot about Brickleberry. When you consider “gross and unpleasant for the sake of being gross and unpleasant” is enough to carry a show devoid of any humor, you get Brickleberry. Just absolute dreck.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

You Are A Elf posted:

Holy poo poo, I forgot about Brickleberry. When you consider “gross and unpleasant for the sake of being gross and unpleasant” is enough to carry a show devoid of any humor, you get Brickleberry. Just absolute dreck.

Hulu kept trying to make me watch Brickleberry for a while, I'm glad I never took them up on it.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

You Are A Elf posted:

When you consider “gross and unpleasant for the sake of being gross and unpleasant” is enough to carry a show devoid of any humor, you get Brickleberry. Drawn Together.

Fixed.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Oh gently caress, I recently watched a few episodes of Drawn Together for the first time since it was cancelled and holy poo poo that show is even worse than I remembered.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean it definitely went hard on the "let's be as much grosser than South Park as South Park was than the Simpsons" premise, but I thought at least the writing was pretty funny and the animation-industry humor was good :shrug:

That ":airquote: ironic racism :airquote: against Indians" one they ended up doing though, wooowww yeah that might be the archetype of why that's a bad idea

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Drawn Together had its moments, but the cringe often outweighs the good bits, and a lot has aged poorly even compared to where it started.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i totally get the idea of not watching something cause of a toxic fanbase, but if a show is legitimately good, it'll stand on its own.

Cemetry Gator posted:

It becomes the problem of making an antiwar film. You know how many people joined the Marines because of Full Metal Jacket - a film that depicts training as psychological and physical torture to the point where a soldier literally blows his brains out with a rifle, and then goes and shows war as this horrible thing where you're likely to just die randomly and be forced to do hosed up things? People will misinterpret things and see it as cool.

wait what? i get that people can often misinterpret the message of a film, and something like American History X supposedly wound up making nazis even more popular, but how the gently caress does anyone watch FMJ and think to themselves: "yeah, i definitely wanna be a part of THAT!"?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

There are some people who will read a movie’s message as the complete opposite of what it actually is, even if it’s screaming into your face the entire time.

It’s that “wow cool robot” meme with Gundam but on some further level where instead of missing the message they take the opposite meaning.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mr Interweb posted:

i totally get the idea of not watching something cause of a toxic fanbase, but if a show is legitimately good, it'll stand on its own.

wait what? i get that people can often misinterpret the message of a film, and something like American History X supposedly wound up making nazis even more popular, but how the gently caress does anyone watch FMJ and think to themselves: "yeah, i definitely wanna be a part of THAT!"?

"I would be R. Lee Ermey, except I'd just shoot the kid instead of getting capped like a sucker"

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

You Are A Elf posted:

One thing I always found incredibly obnoxious about Rick & Morty is just how much Rick addresses Morty by his name. Non-stop “Morty, we gotta Morty outta here, Morty. Morty, listen, Morty, we’re going, Morty, okay, Morty?”

Also, the constant belching in between words. I think they tamed that in the later seasons, though.

this is because the character and the entire show are based on a bit where doc from back to the future talks marty into gargling his balls

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

super sweet best pal posted:

I tried giving it a fair shake until I realized it was just a boring podcast using unrelated cartoon visuals to mask its true nature.

Oh yeah I started listening to the podcast too. Good stuff

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I mean

I think it's like avoiding the Beatles because you're afraid their music might make you start having people murder actresses in the name of the coming race war, rather than because you don't like how they sound or whatever.

if we're all that fragile, we need to be watching nothing but Mr Rogers, which now that I think about it is something I can get behind.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Empty Sandwich posted:

if we're all that fragile, we need to be watching nothing but Mr Rogers, which now that I think about it is something I can get behind.

Even Bob Ross is a gateway drug

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Mr Interweb posted:

Film is not about horrors of war and how system of violence uses violence to mold its members to become users of violence themselves.

It is about how through trial and tribulations private Joker rises to the challenge of Animal Mother and becomes a true killer.

And why wouldn't you want to be a killer? Are you pussy or what?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Fish of hemp posted:

Film is not about horrors of war and how system of violence uses violence to mold its members to become users of violence themselves.

It is about how through trial and tribulations private Joker rises to the challenge of Animal Mother and becomes a true killer.

And why wouldn't you want to be a killer? Are you pussy or what?

Also it's about a funny drill sargeant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Empty Sandwich posted:

I mean

I think it's like avoiding the Beatles because you're afraid their music might make you start having people murder actresses in the name of the coming race war, rather than because you don't like how they sound or whatever.

If you get enough Beatles fans who murder actresses in the name of the coming race war to populate a convention, you bet your rear end I'm avoiding the Beatles.