Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I’ve grown to like gitlens to supplement the built-in git features.

Otherwise I mostly just use the terraform hcl plugin and go and powershell language plugins.

Checking my install I also have a bracket pair colorizer and the azure functions extension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I just did a migration with office 365, moving the files from the drive to share point was fine but the GUI is awful when trying to move a large number of files from one folder to another within share point. Ended up with a shitload of errors if you go too fast and it just stops you from doing more than a specific yet never explicitly stated number at once. And the libraries on doing stuff on share point in powershell is so bad it’s not even clear which library to use.

If you’re moving files use the library sync.

You’ll probably get throttled but unless you’re on a real tight time crunch it will get done with minimal headaches.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

The Fool posted:

You’ll probably get throttled but unless you’re on a real tight time crunch it will get done with minimal headaches.

Yeah, it’s just frustrating that the solution is that obtuse on a super locked down “easy to use” platform. Why won’t they just make it easy to use powershell to navigate a share point?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I mean, its sharepoint, that’s kinda its thing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Defenestrategy posted:

I would like to know more. It's been like two years since we migrated to azure and I can't remember anything about ut.

I think they have fixed it now, but Office 365 used to come out the box set so that anybody could grant any third-party web app full permission to their entire account to do whatever they wanted with it

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

I think they have fixed it now, but Office 365 used to come out the box set so that anybody could grant any third-party web app full permission to their entire account to do whatever they wanted with it

You can still add random saml applications to your farm even as a standard user, i've got random linkedin and garmin services with our users identities anchored to. Also i feel like the default onedrive sharing setup of "let everybody share everything to anybody even as anonymous" is debatable, their rationale of "so you can get the bad user sharing data" is defeated by the fact that data still escaped.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

StackOverflow appears to have changed their font today (?). Can't concentrate at all when looking at it.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
system-ui,-apple-system,BlinkMacSystemFont,"Segoe UI","Ubuntu","Roboto","Noto Sans","Droid Sans",sans-serif

Looks like same system font to me?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Biowarfare posted:

system-ui,-apple-system,BlinkMacSystemFont,"Segoe UI","Ubuntu","Roboto","Noto Sans","Droid Sans",sans-serif

Looks like same system font to me?

Yea, they went to system fonts from....Arial

I thought I edited my post to include a link https://meta.stackexchange.com/questions/364048/were-switching-to-system-fonts-on-may-10-2021

God I loving hate Segue.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
works great on a mac though.

userscript/style?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
just got a you have to put in more effort talk to after i had 13 hours of OT last week, and i should be happy i even have a job. Also should you be happy with your last raise you now make 41k a year instead of 38k. then compared me to a new that has been here for all of 3 months saying new guy is surpassing me in every level but new guy is always asking me questions about stuff. Boss like to pit workers against one another. gently caress i need a new job. Hopefully I didn't gently caress up the PGA interview, haven't heard anything since round 3.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

What certifications do you have? The contractors for the navy shipyard in Norfolk is paying 45k for anyone with an A+ and an ability to pass a background check. Why on earth are you working at a job that lovely in this market?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

What certifications do you have? The contractors for the navy shipyard in Norfolk is paying 45k for anyone with an A+ and an ability to pass a background check. Why on earth are you working at a job that lovely in this market?

Because jacksonville is a lovely market, and i have CCNA and the most basic of AWS certs.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You should be able to bag a decent fully remote position with AWS certs

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

You should be able to bag a decent fully remote position with AWS certs

just started going down the aws route, just grabbed AWS Cloud Practitioner over the weekend.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Just go straight for one of the associate level certs for AWS would be my advice.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

wargames posted:

Because jacksonville is a lovely market, and i have CCNA and the most basic of AWS certs.

Get your LinkedIn up and let the recruiters come to you. I've turned off "Open to new opportunities", and have a recent (<3 months) New Position in my profile, and I'm still getting recruiters spamming me. Sure, at this point I'm just part of their numbers game, but there's a ton of decent companies out there actively snapping up all the talent they can.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Get your LinkedIn up and let the recruiters come to you. I've turned off "Open to new opportunities", and have a recent (<3 months) New Position in my profile, and I'm still getting recruiters spamming me. Sure, at this point I'm just part of their numbers game, but there's a ton of decent companies out there actively snapping up all the talent they can.

I do have a linkedin, and while it suppose to be the opposite of tinder, in that young attractive (hr) ladies are suppose to message computer nerds only to get ignored. I find it to be exactly like tinder in that i am completely ignored by everything.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

wargames posted:

I do have a linkedin, and while it suppose to be the opposite of tinder, in that young attractive (hr) ladies are suppose to message computer nerds only to get ignored. I find it to be exactly like tinder in that i am completely ignored by everything.

Goddamn this made me laugh

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

wargames posted:

Is it filled out properly, with a picture and lots and lots of keywords?

Recruiters are lazy, they just search for <keyword> <location> on LinkedIn, you need to SEO yourself to make sure you're at the top of those search results.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

wargames posted:

1: Get a picture. You probably already have one, but it helps more than you think. It should be professional, but people nowadays will understand a selfie taken via phone cam as long as you look presentable and professional.
2: Grow your network. You aren't an isolated person. Send connection requests to anyone and everyone you've ever worked with professionally. Even C-levels. Worst that happens is they just ignore your request. Many of those C-levels will accept your connection just to grow their own network. A larger network generally makes you look more relatable.
3: Get your work history updated with action-verbs starting each bullet point. Don't just list what your day-to-day was, list what big projects you are proud of completing, or rough time you had with a bad ticket and how you resolved it, etc. Someone coming from your one or two page resume (Yes it's okay for a resume to be more than one page now!) should be able to get a good idea of what you've done in the past.
4: If you're looking for $jobTypeA, then start researching it and tailor your resume (And work experience) to hit the buzzwords of $jobTypeA. Don't expect $jobTypeA to do that on your behalf. My original college degree was in education, but I'm now in a technical support field. You'd better believe that when I was tailoring my resume to this job that I was using technical support buzzwords and key phrases. This is what resume scrapers and automated reviews look for, and gets you past the initial HR review to that initial interview. Once you're talking with a real human, that's when you draw the lines of how your $background fits in and makes you a good fit for $jobTypeA.
5: The Negotiation thread has a lot of great advice, even just in the OP, of how to structure your responses around the all-important compensation question. Thinking about this now gets you thinking about how valuable you really are. You're technically minded. You are incredibly valuable. Don't let a prior lovely job convince you of anything otherwise.
6: If you can get coworkers you know previously to endorse you for things on LinkedIn, great. Even better if they have a cool title (Scrum Master, Director IT, etc) and write you an actual recommendation. When asking someone for a recommendation, it helps to give them something you want to highlight about your career. Maybe you worked with them on an issue around a project they were in charge of and a superstar? Ask them to highlight that! Generic recommendation letters can do more harm than good. Something specific will not only get you a better written letter in general (Since the person writing it is reflecting on the item fondly) but will give major credence to your profile over a generic "oh yeah, I worked with wargames for 2 years and (s)he was always very helpful and awesome".

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

One trick (besides just paying a pro a couple hundred to do your linked in) is to look at job descriptions of desired positions and just reverse engineer buzzwords from those.

I may actually suck at IT stuff and have almost no worthwhile certs but I get spammed by recruiters.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Speaking of that, is there a resume thread still?
I remember there used to be one, I need to update mine, would be helpful to see some good examples of do's/don't's.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

One tip I got from a recruiter who was just shooting the breeze with me (also trying to convince me to apply for positions) when I was looking for security jobs.

Dont just list your job, title, years in the employment history. Make it look a bit more like a resume with accomplishments listed, projects, and a ton of buzzwords.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

One trick (besides just paying a pro a couple hundred to do your linked in) is to look at job descriptions of desired positions and just reverse engineer buzzwords from those.

I may actually suck at IT stuff and have almost no worthwhile certs but I get spammed by recruiters.

I saw a tip once to take the job listing and throw it into a word cloud generator. Take the most common words and work them into your resume.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

:hmmyes:

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Also it can be hit & miss but ask people in your field straight up if they know of 1) any openings 2) any good recruiters they've worked with in the past.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

I saw a tip once to take the job listing and throw it into a word cloud generator. Take the most common words and work them into your resume.

This is a really loving good idea actually.

I have a job so I don't really have to do this, but I'm 100% remembering this for the day when I need a new one.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Holy poo poo. I just did this and I've already added 3 lines of achievements to my current job and refined some stuff from past jobs, all by reading a word cloud and going "Oh poo poo, I've done that!"

One thing I've started doing is call out a Key Achievements section before Work Experience, with three essay-style bullet points that highlight the big traits that I'm bringing to the table and a project or example of each. I want them to be thinking "gently caress yeah, this is who we're looking for" before they even get to the job history.

At what point do you just drop a job from your resume entirely? Surely nobody cares that I worked a night shift job at a NOC ten years ago where I walked around every hour and went "yep, no red lights, cool". But part of me is also worried that some HR idiot will pitch any resume that doesn't have "at least 10 years of computer".

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

wargames posted:

idk most of my LinkedIn inbox very much fits the image of “hot girl ignoring computer nerds”

Tbf most of them are recruiters but there’s a healthy dose of local communities and no-name conferences and organizers who reach out too, some with better social skills than others.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Also strongly disagree on friending everyone and their mother. I’m not always the best at this, but it’s far more useful to only connect with people who can actually do things for you.

Yes that can include recruiters.

Edit: this also gets you to a place where nobody gives a poo poo about the resume very quickly.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 11, 2021

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Cenodoxus posted:

At what point do you just drop a job from your resume entirely? Surely nobody cares that I worked a night shift job at a NOC ten years ago where I walked around every hour and went "yep, no red lights, cool". But part of me is also worried that some HR idiot will pitch any resume that doesn't have "at least 10 years of computer".

When your resume gets too long and it's no longer worth the space. What I've done is have it where I put the title and years, but no further description, then the older stuff I dropped entirely.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

My resume has my current job with a full description and everything before that only has a one-liner, maybe an extra line if it's relevant to the job I'm applying to.

(also, posting on the private network page)

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

DelphiAegis posted:

3: Get your work history updated with action-verbs starting each bullet point. Don't just list what your day-to-day was, list what big projects you are proud of completing, or rough time you had with a bad ticket and how you resolved it, etc. Someone coming from your one or two page resume (Yes it's okay for a resume to be more than one page now!) should be able to get a good idea of what you've done in the past.

The rest of the post is good advice, but I want to expand on this point a bit. Don't count on recruiters and hiring managers extrapolating from the cool things you did, spell out how your actions improved the BUSINESS. "Reduced process X time by Y%" and "Saved 500 work-hours/year by automating Z" or "Using $HotProcess, grew sales by 15% YoY". They need to be true, and you need to be able to talk about them confidently in an interview.

If you have the opportunity, sprinkling some savings numbers on your resume/linkedin is like gold-plating it. Make the connection easy for the non-technical people, and your whole process will be smoother.

One of my favorite personal examples is we had a major project to replace a ton of physical servers that were high-security, and isolated from our normal deployment environment. The only access we had was via remote management. My team-lead was going to just manually configure 75+ servers through the GUI while watching a movie after hours, working from home. The manual process took about four hours per server. I took one look at what he was going to do and said "no that's dumb". I spent a workday breaking down his manual process into two PowerShell scripts and built them into a floppy image (!) because we could copy that to the remote management tool. Reduced the configuration time down to a few minutes per server. The end result was turning roughly two work-months into a single work-week. Our part of the project finished early, and my team-lead got a bunch of his evenings back.

That's a bullet-point practically every interviewer has asked about.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

The Fool posted:

Ah, is there an explanation of that? I can’t figure out what you’re referring too, I only see the ability to sync to a one drive, not another share point file and google turns up the same thing

Ooooh I see how it works. Odd, but much better it lets you use it through the computers file browser. That definitely seems like a very strange way to semi-address the need to manage very large number of files.

I don’t understand why they don’t just tell us how to do it in powershell, but whatever, that’s Microsoft.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 11, 2021

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Wizard of the Deep posted:

The rest of the post is good advice, but I want to expand on this point a bit. Don't count on recruiters and hiring managers extrapolating from the cool things you did, spell out how your actions improved the BUSINESS. "Reduced process X time by Y%" and "Saved 500 work-hours/year by automating Z" or "Using $HotProcess, grew sales by 15% YoY". They need to be true, and you need to be able to talk about them confidently in an interview.

If you have the opportunity, sprinkling some savings numbers on your resume/linkedin is like gold-plating it. Make the connection easy for the non-technical people, and your whole process will be smoother.

One of my favorite personal examples is we had a major project to replace a ton of physical servers that were high-security, and isolated from our normal deployment environment. The only access we had was via remote management. My team-lead was going to just manually configure 75+ servers through the GUI while watching a movie after hours, working from home. The manual process took about four hours per server. I took one look at what he was going to do and said "no that's dumb". I spent a workday breaking down his manual process into two PowerShell scripts and built them into a floppy image (!) because we could copy that to the remote management tool. Reduced the configuration time down to a few minutes per server. The end result was turning roughly two work-months into a single work-week. Our part of the project finished early, and my team-lead got a bunch of his evenings back.

That's a bullet-point practically every interviewer has asked about.

This is interesting to me. On one hand, this specific technique is probably not valuable to future employees, and you could frame it as being about knowledge of the tools, and it wouldn't communicate much. But if you frame it more broadly, about how you saw a problem, understood available tools, and were able to use your knowledge of those tools to save all this time, you show how you can solve problems to save time, which is valuable in any context. I'll have to think about this, because it's a lot of what my experience is, and what I'd like to convey when I talk about what I do.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Ah, is there an explanation of that? I can’t figure out what you’re referring too, I only see the ability to sync to a one drive, not another share point file and google turns up the same thing

Ooooh I see how it works. Odd, but much better it lets you use it through the computers file browser. That definitely seems like a very strange way to semi-address the need to manage very large number of files.

Library sync isn’t really there for managing large number of files, that’s kind of an off-label use. It’s there to provide a local OneDrive experience for sharepoint libraries since webdav access was phased out.

quote:

I don’t understand why they don’t just tell us how to do it in powershell, but whatever, that’s Microsoft.

Last I checked the accepted way to do this in powershell still required loading the csom dll’s, it’s not exactly a pleasant experience.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Resume talk is always interesting. I am in the short, to the point resume person when reading it as a hiring manager. Your last 3 jobs are the most important and that is what I want to read. A page front and back is all I need. Our interview is where we can go into more detail and figure out if we are a good fit.

The issue is that some managers (hello infosec, you fucks) expect novels. If you don't have a 4 page resume then obviously you aren't experienced enough to look at their nessus scans. I honestly would prefer to dodge these types of weirdos, but they are so entrenched in the industry that this is basically impossible. This has become increasingly more frustrating as more people I have worked with have used me as a reference for new opportunities.

Yes, I am becoming more in love with the infosec side of the house every day while also loathing infosec employees more and more. I am somehow more jaded than before.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Sickening posted:

Yes, I am becoming more in love with the infosec side of the house every day while also loathing infosec employees more and more. I am somehow more jaded than before.

Have you ever had anyone show up with the long resume and the short resume and ask which one you want?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

TheParadigm posted:

Have you ever had anyone show up with the long resume and the short resume and ask which one you want?

No. but this is both simple and brilliant!