Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
It's a server board, even if the CPU supported quick sync or had integrated graphics, the board disables it apparently. Intel SPS? That was why I was looking for a GPU unfortunately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Isn't the GTX 1650 Phoenix literally built for this purpose?

edit: just checked pricing and lol

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I'm starting to wonder how badly the quadro pricing is hit

edit: $500 and not even free shipping??

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GTX-1650-OC-4GT/dp/B07ZTXYVMN

Here's something that fits your need, but once again, lmao at the pricing.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Yeah it would be cheaper to just buy a NUC for encoding right now.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Digging deeper into it, it looks like there's 2 types of GT 730 - one that was based on the older fermi GPU, which does not support NVENC, and one based on the more modern kepler, which does support NVENC. Fun!

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

i'd rather take my chances with the integrated graphics than use a GT730, such a garbage GPU.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Kunabomber posted:

Digging deeper into it, it looks like there's 2 types of GT 730 - one that was based on the older fermi GPU, which does not support NVENC, and one based on the more modern kepler, which does support NVENC. Fun!

Neither of which are listed on the NVENC support matrix! :toot:

wafflemoose posted:

i'd rather take my chances with the integrated graphics than use a GT730, such a garbage GPU.

Unfortunately I dont' have integrated graphics on the Xeon, and even if I did, it appears the board will disable it. It detects a 8 MB (?) Matrox GPU of sorts.

But holy gently caress why is a GT730 $200?

e: vvv yeah, but the 730 is completely useless for crypto, isn't a first or second or third pick for low tier old-game players, and presumably there are tons of these OEM in optiplexes or similar ..etc

Impotence fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 10, 2021

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Covid supply issues + covid demand issues + cryptocurrency. These are nominally $400 GPUs.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Biowarfare posted:

e: vvv yeah, but the 730 is completely useless for crypto, isn't a first or second or third pick for low tier old-game players, and presumably there are tons of these OEM in optiplexes or similar ..etc

It's still A Graphics Card. If your GPU explodes tomorrow, what are you going to do to replace it? You can't just walk into a store and get a card anywhere on earth right now. A GT730 might be your best option to get your computer running again without breaking the bank, and to a scalper that's a nice $110 or so profit.

Yeah if you work at a large organization you could just steal one from e-waste but not everyone has that option either.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Biowarfare posted:

Unfortunately I dont' have integrated graphics on the Xeon, and even if I did, it appears the board will disable it. It detects a 8 MB (?) Matrox GPU of sorts.

I have a GT 730 GDDR5 that may work for you? PM me, I'm not looking to get $200 or anything crazy for it if that's what you need.

1050ti isn't single slot but doesn't need additional power.

Biowarfare posted:

It's a server board, even if the CPU supported quick sync or had integrated graphics, the board disables it apparently. Intel SPS? That was why I was looking for a GPU unfortunately

what chipset

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Grumbles posted:

Presumably that's just to avoid any kind of trademark dispute or brand confusion with Supreme. Especially now that both brands cater exclusively to scalpers waiting in line for drops at short notice

It could be the initial reason. I did hear some reviewer talk about how they had spoken to some contact at MSI in Taiwan who insisted that it was pronounced 'supreme' when spelled like that in English, even though the reviewer was a native English speaker. Might have been Hardware Unboxed, not sure, but it was a fun little story.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Why can't it be pronounced "supreme?" English pronunciation is whatever you want it to be. There are no rules

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

bus hustler posted:

I have a GT 730 GDDR5 that may work for you? PM me, I'm not looking to get $200 or anything crazy for it if that's what you need.

1050ti isn't single slot but doesn't need additional power.

what chipset

I have a 730 but it doesn't fit due to the large sink. I only have a single slot to work with, so a large passive sink seems to be my problem.

It's one of these with 32GB, very little remaining power budget left. I am not running Plex or anything similar, this is for some side project crap.

https://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-Netservers/Microserver-Gen10-Plus-and-Intel-Quick-Sync/m-p/7084676/highlight/true#M22347

Impotence fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 11, 2021

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Just take the heatsink off and dremel off what keeps you from installing and maybe stick a small fan near it? This kind of stuff is what makes hardware fun.

If you don’t want to do it, send it to me and I’ll make it fit. I’ll even pay return shipping.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Sagebrush posted:

Why can't it be pronounced "supreme?" English pronunciation is whatever you want it to be. There are no rules

Same reason any native speaker of English would, upon seeing the made-up word “ghoti,” guess that it should sound kind of like “goatee” and not at all like “fish,” even though the letters of “ghoti” can (separately) make the “fish” sounds

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
If you’re in the Bay Area might get lucky with central computers

Build only though

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Signed up for EVGA Step Up for the EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING ( https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=24G-P5-3987-KR ) on the 4th of May and I got the email today that I'm done with the queue and they're reviewing my invoice.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

3090 remains the quickest card to get and the least-gouged (proportionally) by scalpers, if you're okay with paying three grand for a GPU that probably won't even fit inside your computer

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
fits perfectly fine in my case, people need to stop building meme mini-ITX builds

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
EVGA makes great stuff, but the RGB strip on their FTW3 cards are horrendous looking to me.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

https://www.adorama.com/ev01gp31313.html The 210 I bought that's eligible for Step Up appears to still be in stock if anyone wants to give it a shot. The 3090 they're offering ends up being around $1972 plus shipping shenanigans.

3080's Step Up queue is still in October or whatever. The 3070 queue is now processing people who signed up Jan 2nd. The 3090 queue is less than a week long.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

mA posted:

EVGA makes great stuff, but the RGB strip on their FTW3 cards are horrendous looking to me.

When the RGB is off, it just looks silver. Cant even tell it is a light bar. It is actually pretty awesome if you don't like RGB.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

mutata posted:

https://www.adorama.com/ev01gp31313.html The 210 I bought that's eligible for Step Up appears to still be in stock if anyone wants to give it a shot. The 3090 they're offering ends up being around $1972 plus shipping shenanigans.

3080's Step Up queue is still in October or whatever. The 3070 queue is now processing people who signed up Jan 2nd. The 3090 queue is less than a week long.

dang you can do a step-up and get a 3090 in a week?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Shipon posted:

dang you can do a step-up and get a 3090 in a week?

You can do a Step Up and get to the review stage in a week from signing up. That's step 2. From there you get notified that you can place your order, which you have 7 days to do. Once your order is placed, you have to ship your old card back to them, then, after they receive the old card, they ship the new one to you. So it's not a week from when you sign up for Step Up until you have your new card, but it's looking like it's a couple weeks from when you sign up for Step Up until you can press the "Submit Order" button on a 3090.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Alan Smithee posted:

If you’re in the Bay Area might get lucky with central computers

Build only though

Hello fellow Bay Area goon! Which of the five stores did you get those photos?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Shipon posted:

fits perfectly fine in my case, people need to stop building meme mini-ITX builds

It even would fit in my Cerebus X if I decide to go that route, and the Cerebus X is one tiny case...

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Lol cut me open and let it flow!

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Do they take mail-in entries?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

3090 remains the quickest card to get and the least-gouged (proportionally) by scalpers, if you're okay with paying three grand for a GPU that probably won't even fit inside your computer

evga != ebay

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Hello fellow Bay Area goon! Which of the five stores did you get those photos?

sunnyvale off lawrence

santa clara had 1 60 and 1 70 couple days ago

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Shipon posted:

You can fit an FTW3 in an NCASE M1. I guess what i'm saying is there's no reason to own a case that isn't the NCASE M1

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Why on earth does the 3060 have more VRAM than the 3080/70? This company makes no goddamn sense sometimes

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Sphyre posted:

I guess what i'm saying is there's no reason to own a case that isn't the NCASE M1

It's over $200?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Sagebrush posted:

Why on earth does the 3060 have more VRAM than the 3080/70? This company makes no goddamn sense sometimes

Because of the way the memory chips connect to the GPU to maximize the bus, it was either going to be 6 GB or 12 GB

They couldn't go with just 6 because it'd make them look too bad compared to AMD, so 12 it was

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Sagebrush posted:

In the case of the 3080 it uses GDDR6X instead of plain old GDDR6. It's a lot faster and has error correction.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

LRADIKAL posted:

I think you need an Nvidia 1030 or better to do h265, I'm using a gtx750ti which doesn't. There's a matrix on nvidia's site that breaks it down.

Maxwell cards will do H265 decode but yeah you need Pascal for H265 encode support.

You want a Turing card for encode though, they are way way better than anything else on the market for H264. It's a big step over even Pascal.

Alternately RDNA1/2 cards do very well at H265 encode. If you know your Plex devices will support H265 that's a viable option too.

Shipon posted:

haha holy poo poo electronics are just going to keep skyrocketing in price

also the cryptocurrency situation is actively getting worse, it's almost three times as profitable as it was a couple weeks ago, this is the highest it's ever been. A 3080 is doing $23 a day right now.

at this rate even EIP-1559 and the mining limiter together would literally just bring profitability back to where it was a couple weeks ago. it's the "what if crypto prices do a runner and just completely outweigh the attempts to brake it" nightmare scenario.

Biowarfare posted:

afaik GT cards don't support NVENC at all. Maybe there are some niche exceptions with those GT730s and stuff where it's actually a rebranded GTX card but they may just turn it off. Also Kepler era NVENC sucks balls in comparison to the modern stuff and if you've got a Xeon it's not that hard to out-do it. It's maybe equivalent to x264 "veryfast" or "superfast". (same goes for QuickSync)

Prices are hosed because every high end card made for the last 7 years (since 390/980 Ti) is being sucked up for mining. On top of that everyone is fighting over the scraps that remain in the market, so prices are going nuts even for the stuff you can't mine on, just because there's been a 10x increase in the number of people interested in those cards as they try to find anything that can run.

ironically it may actually be a matrox GPU! servers don't care about 3D performance as long as it can run a server console, so stuff like ATI Mach64 and Matrox Millennium had surprisingly long lifespans, only getting discontinued into the late 2000s or early 2010s iirc. it was the 8600GT/GT210/GT710 "literally never gonna stop making the drat thing" of its time.

vvv yeah I forgot about that, super dumb vvv

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 11, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

You want a Turing card for encode though, they are way way better than anything else on the market for H264. It's a big step over even Pascal.

I do want to make another note here: the GTX 1650 still uses the Pascal-era NVENC, even if it is technically part of the Turing generation. You'll want a 1650 Super / 1660 / 1660 Super as the lowest GPUs in the Turing stack that actually has a Turing NVENC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

MSI should capitalize on the current market craziness and simply rebrand the Suprim to "$uprim" or "$upreme"