Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

LRADIKAL posted:

Does she age normally when not a monster? If so, she's immortal!

She basically is, yeah. There are some interesting events with her and robot in the comic. I hope they actually get to it in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Monster Girl says that she lost a week at one point after transforming and it's not really specified how her power works, so it could be somewhat trivial to manage as long as she doesn't get called into action like, literally every day. :shrug: If the de-aging is a constant for each transformation (like a week) it wouldn't be that hard to sit out on superhero stuff for a week or so unless she's absolutely needed.

Now if the amount of time spent in ogre form is the sole deciding factor then yeah that power is terrible. It's arguably more manageable in some ways but if you stayed transformed for too long you might literally end up young enough to be barely cognizant once you transform back.

I realize that the power's de-aging effects are probably defined as "whatever the writers find convenient" and she'll stay a preteen until the script calls otherwise, but logically thinking how bad it sucks really depends on how bad it works.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

stev posted:

Yeah if I had a superpower that not only took years off my life but made my life actively worse every time I used it I'd just... Never use it. Like I get that it could help people but there are loads of other superheroes with way better powers that don't cost poo poo to use.

zoux posted:

And that's why she's a superhero, she can't not help people.

Exactly, that makes her more heroic, not less!

But it is pretty wild how much variety there is in superpowers and how some people just get screwed (Monster Girl) and some people are just massively, massively OP with no drawbacks (Omni-man) but that's accurate to comics.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hamelekim posted:

She basically is, yeah. There are some interesting events with her and robot in the comic. I hope they actually get to it in the show.

I've read the comic myself, as I recall, she ends up as an adult with YUUUUGE cans!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

most superpowers would be useless in a world where people knew how to use guns anyway, aside from the absurd poo poo like superman

real life 'superheroes' wouldn't be fighting criminals, they'd be players in America's most popular new combat sports series

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

LRADIKAL posted:

I've read the comic myself, as I recall, she ends up as an adult with YUUUUGE cans!

Edit: Removed because spoiler was too big....

Hamelekim fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 10, 2021

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Man the comic got real weird in sections

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Hamelekim posted:

They also major comic spoilers.

yo maybe don't click on this unless you want like a whole arc of the comic spoiled

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Hamelekim posted:

They also maybe don't post comic spoilers of this magnitude here.

That is a huge comic spoiler.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Ccs posted:

Yeah this is something an artist on the show was taking issue with. One of his tweets was "why cast poc characters if you're just going to write them like white people." Which, I dunno, they're middle/upper middle class surburbanites, Debbie could be 2nd or 3rd generation, the Korean heritage isn't really relevant to the show's plot (as opposed to Viltrumite heritage...)

Yeah. Debbie is basically any suburban North American mom. She doesn't eat with chopsticks or serve Bulgogi for dinner. There's no coding here. The only real indication that she and Mark are Asian are their voice actors and apparently being drawn differently, cause I sure as hell didn't notice. Maybe it's just me but skin tone and eye shape are not enough to definitively say one person is one race or another.

I don't really agree with the tweeter either. There are Asians who have completely adopted North American culture and it's nice when we get representation too.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Somebody just needs to start a comic thread already since y'all clearly wanna talk about it :cheeky:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Why do I always click the boxes. :doh:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

You should remove this entirely

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Azhais posted:

You should remove this entirely

Yeah, we really need a place to discuss the comic/show with spoilers.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

Yeah. Debbie is basically any suburban North American mom. She doesn't eat with chopsticks or serve Bulgogi for dinner. There's no coding here. The only real indication that she and Mark are Asian are their voice actors and apparently being drawn differently, cause I sure as hell didn't notice. Maybe it's just me but skin tone and eye shape are not enough to definitively say one person is one race or another.

It's a combination of that and also the voice actors. Like maybe it stands out to me more because I have read the comic, but it was a deliberate choice by the creators to make Mark biracial for the adaptation. You can find the creator saying as much. I'm not going to try and determine whether or not it's appropriate that they have Asian traditions in their household, that's a different discussion, but they are Asian and trying to pretend like they are making it ambiguous is a really loving weird thing for this thread to do. No, it's not a part of the story, it doesn't necessarily have to be, people were praising the show for making Will being gay feel very natural and not commented on, and it is clear that they are doing the same thing here.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

LOL

https://mobile.twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1391739958302478342

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Okay that's great

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Hamelekim posted:

Yeah, we really need a place to discuss the comic/show with spoilers.

There are a couple of BSS threads about comic adaptations or the image comics thread where spoilers are allowed. Not a lot of invincible discussion there right now though

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Hakkesshu posted:

It's a combination of that and also the voice actors. Like maybe it stands out to me more because I have read the comic, but it was a deliberate choice by the creators to make Mark biracial for the adaptation. You can find the creator saying as much. I'm not going to try and determine whether or not it's appropriate that they have Asian traditions in their household, that's a different discussion, but they are Asian and trying to pretend like they are making it ambiguous is a really loving weird thing for this thread to do. No, it's not a part of the story, it doesn't necessarily have to be, people were praising the show for making Will being gay feel very natural and not commented on, and it is clear that they are doing the same thing here.

It is ambiguous because we're used to seeing Asian coding in other media. It's refreshing that this show doesn't do that.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

It is ambiguous because we're used to seeing Asian coding in other media. It's refreshing that this show doesn't do that.

I'm sorry you did not notice it, but it absolutely does.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Invincible gets so weird at points that real spoilers and fake spoilers are hard to tell apart.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Away all Goats posted:

I've started my second watch through and a few things I noticed:

-In the fight against the Guardians, Red Rush doesn't just save Immortal and FishGuy, he also blocks one of mark's punches that was intended for War Woman
-Nolan crushing Red Rush's head happens instantly, but Red Rush and Nolan have super speed making it seem longer. This must have been particularly long for Red Rush who tells his wife he experiences all of life in slow motion and he can't turn it off.
-Nolan tells Cecil he doesn't know who attacked him and the Guardians because someone cut the lights and they were ambushed. Cecil tests this theory by teleporting into the Grayson's darkened home which Nolan promptly sniffs out. Cecil knew he was lying.

This is a good observation. Never even considered that but it makes sense.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Ccs posted:

Yeah this is something an artist on the show was taking issue with. One of his tweets was "why cast poc characters if you're just going to write them like white people." Which, I dunno, they're middle/upper middle class surburbanites, Debbie could be 2nd or 3rd generation, the Korean heritage isn't really relevant to the show's plot (as opposed to Viltrumite heritage...) but, eh, I can see how it could be interpreted as half-assed representation. In the most uncharitable reading.

But as far as the plot gets into anything concerning immigration or hertiage, it's focused around the alien bloodline. It might have been weird to bring Mark's partial Korean heritage into it. The important thing is he's half human. The show wants to depict a diversity in humanity, but not get concerned with much social dynamics between different immigrant groups and so forth beyond that.

They had that festival scene where Mark and Amber got Halo-Halo, which I got excited about, since you don't see Filipino food much in media.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Bust Rodd posted:

Wow! That’s really awesome! I can’t really think of another property that is changed a main character’s ethnicity for a screen translation without just rewriting a new character instead. Really cool how this show manages to be progressive about race and gay stuff in a way that feels natural to me.

Maybe not main characters but for what it's worth in the comics:

Amber is white.
Rex is white.
Darkwing is white (I think? he's usually shadowed.)
Shrinking Ray is male.
Green Ghost is male.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

NmareBfly posted:

Maybe not main characters but for what it's worth in the comics:

Amber's white.
Rex's white.
Darkwing's white (I think? he's usually shadowed.)
Shrinking Ray's male.
Green Ghost's male.

Seance Dog does science

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Away all Goats posted:

This really feels like you’re saying “Amber doesn’t feel “black-coded” because she doesn’t walk around listening to hip-hop and sagging her pants”. Saying that characters with Asian skin tones and Asian eye shapes and dark Asian hair aren’t sufficiently “Asian Coded” means you’re expecting them to be wearing rice-paper tama hats and, like you said, eating all their food with chopsticks.

Like, seriously, if not for Amber's skin, how would you know she was black? How is that not enough?

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 11, 2021

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
And not a single geta in sight

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Bust Rodd posted:

This really feels like you’re saying “Ashley doesn’t feel “black-coded” because she doesn’t walk around listening to hip-hop and sagging her pants”. Saying that characters with Asian skin tones and Asian eye shapes and dark Asian hair aren’t sufficiently “Asian Coded” means you’re expecting them to be wearing rice-paper tama hats and, like you said, eating all their food with chopsticks.

Is it uncommon for Korean-Americans not to practice a lot of Asian traditions in their household? I always figured there are tons of people from whatever race or ethnicity that just kinda live here and don't pay any particular attention to their heritage. I also expect a lot of the individual culture to be washed out of people living in wealthy suburbia in favor of the bland generic wealthy suburban lifestyle.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

LRADIKAL posted:

Reading through the series things like this seem to happen a lot to female characters and it just gets ridiculous the further along we go. That and having other characters call attention to it doesn't make it better but at the end of the day, it's a comic, specifically one from the 00s so these things just happen

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Phenotype posted:

Is it uncommon for Korean-Americans not to practice a lot of Asian traditions in their household? I always figured there are tons of people from whatever race or ethnicity that just kinda live here and don't pay any particular attention to their heritage. I also expect a lot of the individual culture to be washed out of people living in wealthy suburbia in favor of the bland generic wealthy suburban lifestyle.

My only Korean friend in college was adopted by Japanese people who were super into Martial Arts and she was always so embarrassed by it.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

This really feels like you’re saying “Amber doesn’t feel “black-coded” because she doesn’t walk around listening to hip-hop and sagging her pants”. Saying that characters with Asian skin tones and Asian eye shapes and dark Asian hair aren’t sufficiently “Asian Coded” means you’re expecting them to be wearing rice-paper tama hats and, like you said, eating all their food with chopsticks.

Like, seriously, if not for Amber's skin, how would you know she was black? How is that not enough?

Wait no I don’t think they were saying that. It’s just that maybe the drawing wasn’t specific enough to completely suggest they were from Asia, let alone a specific Asian country, and you’d have to look at the ethnicity of the voice actors to really figure it out.

But whereas people like the Indonesian-Canadian artist who worked on the show saw it as a huge problem that they weren’t coded more specifically, this poster said that it was fine to depict ppl of different races as typical suburbanites and not having to be steeped in the specific heritage. They said it’s nice when immigrants who have totally immersed in the culture also get representation.

The show was pretty darn subtle about all of the ethnicity stuff. Like there’s no suggestion of what heritage Rex has. Maybe Mantzoukas’ casting clarified it but that’s outside of the diegesis of the show

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Bust Rodd posted:

It doesn't matter if Amber is black coded or not, because it's not important to the story they're telling. Just like it doesn't matter that Debbie/Mark are Asian coded or not. Amber could be South Asian for all it matters

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 11, 2021

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

While the representation of race and sexuality is pretty good for a tv show there are some wired things going on. Amber is a really cringy mainstream idea of a genz sjw type. It's even weirder when you look at the way Doc sizmic is presented as a crazy guy for bringing up the history of the US etc.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Is she? She seemed fine to me. Maybe I need to rewatch but the show didn't portray her in a particularly annoying manner or anything. Doc Seismic was the weird, out of place "HEH LOOK AT CRAZY ESS JEE DUB" character.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

ughhhh posted:

While the representation of race and sexuality is pretty good for a tv show there are some wired things going on. Amber is a really cringy mainstream idea of a genz sjw type. It's even weirder when you look at the way Doc sizmic is presented as a crazy guy for bringing up the history of the US etc.

I took Seismic as then making him more compelling by giving him legitimate things to be angry about as opposed to just being earthquake guy. Even if the villain is saying stuff it still gets the message out there. It’s not like Mark and Eve refute his points, they just punch him so he stops destroying stuff

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

Is she? She seemed fine to me. Maybe I need to rewatch but the show didn't portray her in a particularly annoying manner or anything. Doc Seismic was the weird, out of place "HEH LOOK AT CRAZY ESS JEE DUB" character.

The books referenced in the study date, the soup kitchen volunteering, knowing foreign foods and items. It's all banal feel-good liberal values, when I would imagine someone like her would probably be masked up and ready to burn down a wendys at that point.

Ccs posted:

I took Seismic as then making him more compelling by giving him legitimate things to be angry about as opposed to just being earthquake guy. Even if the villain is saying stuff it still gets the message out there. It’s not like Mark and Eve refute his points, they just punch him so he stops destroying stuff

I was just trying to compare the two (amber and doc) at that point in the show. Primarily because her character and doc sizmic are the two points of reference to African Americans in the show and it's very different. Just felt that if amber were somehow in the scene she would have quipped something along the lines of "vote". Probably has something to do with what was going on irl at the time :shrug:

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 11, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
What about the black Luke Cage style guy who tricks Invincible into taking out his boss so he could become the new crime lord?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bust Rodd posted:

What about the black Luke Cage style guy who tricks Invincible into taking out his boss so he could become the new crime lord?

You mean Black-man?

the guy you're talking about is Titan

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Flag Man? Comics would never be that silly...

Oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

ughhhh posted:

The books referenced in the study date, the soup kitchen volunteering, knowing foreign foods and items. It's all banal feel-good liberal values, when I would imagine someone like her would probably be masked up and ready to burn down a wendys at that point.

I'm a little confused. So she's cringy because she's not throwing Molotovs through windows, and is doing community service and stuff instead?