Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

spacetoaster posted:

There's a rich neighborhood in our city that has a public school with so few students there's only one class per grade. The city has tried multiple times to close this money sink and simply have those students go to the big school nearby, but the parents, through hook or crook, have managed to force the city to keep it open for their precious babies.

The school is so small, and so nice, that teachers do all kinds of backstabbing just to try to get assigned there.

the actual solution is to send a bunch of kids from The Big School to The Small School, not to close the loving school lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

the actual solution is to send a bunch of kids from The Big School to The Small School, not to close the loving school lmfao

No, the right call would be to close that school. It's very much on the outskirts of the district and the correct thing would be to close it and consolidate the students into the actual school that was built for that district. Rather than having a special little school just for the rich neighborhood.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
stop advocating for the closure of public schools goddammit. it's so loving dumb and you can't undo it.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
Those small out of the way schools are usually older, and are a drain on the already stretched general funds of the school. Whenever improvement/millage time comes around and the idea to consolidate buildings and dramatically remodel one, it's those same people who will show up and pitch a loving fit and swear not to vote for the millage.

Public school funding in the US is a loving poo poo show, and we need to break away from the property tax model yesterday.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

CA lost population last year for the first time ever due to the combo of covid deaths, immigration restrictions, and people fleeing the state for chudly reasons, or fleeing because housing is too expensive, or fleeing because they are WFH fancy folks who dont want to be in the big bad city anymore and went back to their parents mansion in connecticut or their new Zealand bunker or nature cabin or whatever::

https://www.dof.ca.gov/forecasting/demographics/estimates/e-1/documents/E-1_2021PressRelease.pdf

Wow it's almost like if our society wasn't a capitalist hellscape, people would be able to find affordable housing without leaving the state. And it's almost like there wouldn't have been decades of right wing propaganda culminating in hundreds of thousands of people deciding they need to leave CA and move to Oregon/Texas/Idaho instead, to be with REAL PATRIOTS.
:smugdon:

And its almost like the pandemic would have been addressed properly to begin with, leading to even more people not leaving and not being blocked from moving here

On the other hand humans are a waste give the state to the birds

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Len posted:

My school board was anti snow days until a bus carrying one of their kids went off the road. They got heavy into snow days after that

Here we got hurricane days instead cuz once the wind gets to 40mph the busses could get pushed off a bridge. In like 2004 we had 4 hurricanes one after the other and wound up out of school for like a solid month. Had to stay extra weeks that year to make up for it though, and the power was out for most of it, so it wasn't that fun.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Sanguinary Novel posted:

Those small out of the way schools are usually older, and are a drain on the already stretched general funds of the school. Whenever improvement/millage time comes around and the idea to consolidate buildings and dramatically remodel one, it's those same people who will show up and pitch a loving fit and swear not to vote for the millage.

Public school funding in the US is a loving poo poo show, and we need to break away from the property tax model yesterday.

you're talking about what should happen and I'm talking about an actual workable solution that these rich assholes would actually have to put in effort to defeat (and show their rear end in the process).

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

They probably report you to unemployment if you don't take the job, too.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Can't tell if this is real but fuckers probably report to the state like some McDonald's do

JADED JINX! you owe me a small frosty

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

How badly do you have to tank a Wendys interview to not get the job, not get reported to unemployment and get the free sandwich?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

blunt posted:

How badly do you have to tank a Wendys interview to not get the job, not get reported to unemployment and get the free sandwich?

As someone mentioned earlier, you can just already have a job

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Whats with the cash value: 1/100 of a cent? Are they required to put that there? Why isn't the actual cost of the sandwich?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

blunt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVp9rKF3hag

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Feral Integral posted:

Whats with the cash value: 1/100 of a cent? Are they required to put that there? Why isn't the actual cost of the sandwich?

All coupons say that poo poo. I've always assumed it was a tax loophole thing

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
i once got hired and fired by Wendy's in a span of 20 minutes

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

how was the sandwich?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Feral Integral posted:

Is it so you can't ask for cash instead of the item?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/26838/why-are-coupons-worth-1100th-cent

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

how was the sandwich?

this was back when they had the "frescata" line, so pretty good iirc. they found out i was 15 and took their t-shirt back though

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

blunt posted:

The first job I ever applied for was for the Wendy’s around the corner from me and I didn’t get hired.
The next job was for a busboy at a restaurant which I also did not get hired at.
Then I got a job as a busboy at the next place I applied and decided to stick around for 6 years cause even as a teenager I’ve been a glutton for punishment

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I regret my pro-lawn posts from earlier

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

I think it would be funny to show up at a Wendy’s in a designer suit with a 3 page CV with executive expierence and then do a serious interview to get the free sandwich

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Nastier Nate posted:

I think it would be funny to show up at a Wendy’s in a designer suit with a 3 page CV with executive expierence and then do a serious interview to get the free sandwich

They would probably tell you to gently caress off

Coin flip on whether you get the sandwich

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

The Bloop posted:

Worked for Kevin spacey in American Beauty

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Bloop posted:

You would get the sandwich. The gimmick is that anyone already making more than 10 bucks an hour won't waste 30 minutes redeeming the coupon. Dealing with a handful of smart alecs isn't a problem

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt posted:

You would get the sandwich. The gimmick is that anyone already making more than 10 bucks an hour won't waste 30 minutes redeeming the coupon. Dealing with a handful of smart alecs isn't a problem

This doesn't account for local managers hating corporate gimmicks and exerting power like minor feudal lords

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

stop advocating for the closure of public schools goddammit. it's so loving dumb and you can't undo it.

Nobody is doing that.

The place I'm talking about was supposed to be closed a long time ago when the new facility was built.

Instead it was kept open for one very small number of people and it's wasting money because it still has to have a full custodial/office/lunchroom/etc staff for 60 kids.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

Nobody is doing that.

The place I'm talking about was supposed to be closed a long time ago when the new facility was built.

Instead it was kept open for one very small number of people and it's wasting money because it still has to have a full custodial/office/lunchroom/etc staff for 60 kids.
They can close it when they make all the other schools as good or better. Whatever is stopping them from doing that should be the target of your ire, not the one school that's as good as a school should be

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
The ideal school has exactly zero children.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

kaschei posted:

They can close it when they make all the other schools as good or better. Whatever is stopping them from doing that should be the target of your ire, not the one school that's as good as a school should be

Orrrrr the 60 families could direct their energy and efforts towards that single larger school for the benefit of way more children?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Boywhiz88 posted:

Orrrrr the 60 families could direct their energy and efforts towards that single larger school for the benefit of way more children?
if you can convince them to stop being so drat bougie be my guest

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I need to find one of those Wendy's application sandwich coupons. I've got a creditor that's so bad at motivating me to pay my debt that they could use a different job. And it would be a break from the Arby's coupons I've been mailing them for months.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

kaschei posted:

This makes sense, I see your point.

There's nothing wrong with the other school though. The problem is how the hell do these rich parents get the taxpayers to continually cover the cost of their kids private (yet "public") school?

I'd read the heck out of an investigative article on the history of the board trying to close the place and being stopped somehow.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Wawa is giving new hires a $500 bonus after 90 days working to try and entice people.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
After taxes, that’s like… $3/day bonus. What a poke in the eye.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

After taxes, that’s like… $3/day bonus. What a poke in the eye.

$350 in a lump sum after taxes is nice though

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Line Feed posted:

Wawa is giving new hires a $500 bonus after 90 days working to try and entice people.

You'd think that a more regional company would be able to pay more or do more to entice people. A manager of mine tried to get me to come back, and even with 5 years experience there and coming in on her recommendation, the max they would give me is 12, part-time, no more than 30 hours a week. Nobody who works at or has worked at Wawa would recommend anybody work there unless they're somebody who's bought into the culture there for whatever reason.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

If you’re sitting on a big pile of Shake N Bake coupons, you might as well give it a try; your supermarket will probably gladly surrender a penny to ensure you don’t make a scene.

Make some minimum wage employee's day worse for a cent

Reminds me of a middle school teacher I had once that insisted that if something said ".99 cents" you could hand them a penny and they had to sell you the item for it. She had all sorts of stories of how she totally got them to take the penny after telling them she wasn't leaving until they did and insisting that otherwise it's FALSE ADVERTISING, and the fact that they accepted it was definite proof of how true this was and not at all them just wanting to get her the gently caress out of the store because a line was forming behind her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

SpacePig posted:

You'd think that a more regional company would be able to pay more or do more to entice people. A manager of mine tried to get me to come back, and even with 5 years experience there and coming in on her recommendation, the max they would give me is 12, part-time, no more than 30 hours a week. Nobody who works at or has worked at Wawa would recommend anybody work there unless they're somebody who's bought into the culture there for whatever reason.

Wow sounds like no one wants to work anymore :colbert: