Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

What about shooting holes in engine blocks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BitBasher posted:

The difficulty of hitting a target at long range goes up nonlinearly with range.

That said if someone really wants to shoot long range, which is the only meaningful purpose for a round that large, there are rounds that are notable superior to the .50. The .338 Lapua is a smaller cartridge that is basically superior in every single way for long distance shooting. In long range shooting competitions the sport is generally ruled by 6mm, 6.5mm and 7mm rounds out to 1000 yards.

Basically, the only people who ever want a .50 are video game and 80s/90s bad movie loving jackasses that want to spend more per shot and per gun for inferior performance, entirely because ".50 IS AWESOME BRO!"

They are the gun equivalent of barbed wire tattoo sporting coal rolling bro truck people.

I don’t disagree with this because that stereotype has proven true shockingly often in my experience as well, but shooting .50s and anti-tank rifles is fun as gently caress. I mean .50s built from actual gun parts though, not the ones built out of the leftovers from a plumbing supply van.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The .50 was a repurposed round from a heavy machine gun (hence “50 BMG” or Browning Machine Gun”) when the military wanted something to reach out and touch targets at ridiculous ranges. The Lapua round was specifically designed as a sniper round to meet and exceed the capabilities of the .50 sniper rounds.
Think of the .50 as an old-school carbureted V8, and the Lapua as a high-tech turbo 4. The 50 was good for its time, but now it’s outdated, mainly fun for what it was.

Anti-materiel is a whole ‘nother thing, I think. Sometimes you gotta throw big chunks to mess things up.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

don't .50 BMG rounds also cost like 5 dollars each

just take out ol' abe and light him on fire every time you pull the trigger

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
In the video he specifically says they cost him "a hundred dollars a piece" because they're rare surplus rounds.

So replace Abraham with Benjamin.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

MrYenko posted:

I don’t disagree with this because that stereotype has proven true shockingly often in my experience as well, but shooting .50s and anti-tank rifles is fun as gently caress. I mean .50s built from actual gun parts though, not the ones built out of the leftovers from a plumbing supply van.

While true, if you are going to give that as the reason then don't half rear end it. go buy a Lahti

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9qHv_XEAZg

It's actually cheaper than some Barrets and it fires a big manly round unlike that pansy .50 which is like what, .5 of a real bullet? Shoot a .787 (20mm) instead!

It throws a 4.1 oz projectile at 2950 feet (900m) per second! Muzzle energy of 34,655 ft⋅lb!

Under $10k!

https://www.gunsamerica.com/947473456/Lahti-20mm-Anti-Tank-Rifle.htm

Murica! :patriot:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Yeah, even 7.62 NATO is lethal out to many km, if the weapon rules I once got drilled in were right. 12.7 seems kind of overkill unless you are using it as light AP?

The story going around my middle school friends about the .50 cal (as seen in, say, Delta Force 1) was that in real life you weren't allowed to use it against people, but that the obvious loophole was to claim you were aiming for his rifle. I will assume that none of that is true in any way.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 10, 2021

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Barrett .50 sniper rifles vaporized plenty of targets’ heads, which I think counts for aiming at the person.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

guns suck and are dumb

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

drat you Chrysler

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

:dafuq:

That’s not how you defrost a mirror.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Memento posted:

drat you Chrysler

Isn't the Chrysler minivan failure the entire shock tower rusting loose from the chassis? That looks like a strut top mount failure.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Computer viking posted:

Yeah, even 7.62 NATO is lethal out to many km, if the weapon rules I once got drilled in were right. 12.7 seems kind of overkill unless you are using it as light AP?

The story going around my middle school friends about the .50 cal (as seen in, say, Delta Force 1) was that in real life you weren't allowed to use it against people, but that the obvious loophole was to claim you were aiming for his rifle. I will assume that none of that is true in any way.

Gun Jesus has a whole bunch of videos about big powerful rifles and he always points out that the .50s and other enormous cartridges are not sniper rifles; you simply don't need that much power when you're shooting humans. A .30-06 or .338 will kill a person just as dead at sniping distances (where you're far more limited by the environment and the shooter skill than simply running out of range) while being much more portable and less obvious when fired.

Guns like the Barrett .50s are antimateriel rifles, designed for destroying fuel tanks, light vehicles, helicopters, and unexploded ordnance from a distance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEDFn3UtVIc

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Powershift posted:

guns suck and are dumb

Yes but if you asked me to deal with that I'd want to shoot it from as far away as I could. Not with a .50. Well I'd want to but a .22 should be fine. Hell a pellet gun could probably deflate that.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Memento posted:

drat you Chrysler

Porsche does something similar to this too :lol:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
.50 BMG is an antimateriel cartridge. Full stop. It was built for the M2 and was designed for the things that heavy machine guns did around WWI; provide suppressing fire, hit people out of cover, hit people behind cover, take out light fortifications, and destroy important things in aircraft that fly too low or vehicles that get too close.
Those criteria mean the cartridge has the capability to impart a lot of force from very far away, and can be used to ruin someone's day from the next town over. However:

Sagebrush posted:

Gun Jesus has a whole bunch of videos about big powerful rifles and he always points out that the .50s and other enormous cartridges are not sniper rifles; you simply don't need that much power when you're shooting humans. A .30-06 or .338 will kill a person just as dead at sniping distances (where you're far more limited by the environment and the shooter skill than simply running out of range) while being much more portable and less obvious when fired.

Guns like the Barrett .50s are antimateriel rifles, designed for destroying fuel tanks, light vehicles, helicopters, and unexploded ordnance from a distance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEDFn3UtVIc

Powershift posted:

guns suck and are dumb

Gun debates suck and are dumb because it's like arguing about what oil to use. Everyone has an opinion and almost all of them are valid, so it goes in circles forever

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I don't really think anyone disagrees here, though - we're basically all united in .50 cal rifles being good for putting large holes in stuff at longish distances and possibly having fun making big (if expensive) booms at a firing range, while not being meant for or good at sniping in any traditional sense.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BitBasher posted:

While true, if you are going to give that as the reason then don't half rear end it. go buy a Lahti

Going to a caliber over .50 (and not in a shotgun or muzzle loader) puts you in Destructive Device territory.

The two hundred dollar tax stamp isn’t as big a deal as it was in the Depression, especially not when the guns and ammunition themselves are more expensive, but it’s more paperwork for comparable entertainment value.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

50 cal is hilariously fun, you just have to find a place to shoot them.
I can't imagine 20 mm has many ranges that allow it but I would be first in line if I found one.

mischief fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 11, 2021

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

mischief posted:

50 cal is hilariously fun, you just have to find a place to shoot them.
I can't imagine 20 mm has many ranges that allow it but I would be first in line if I found one.

You can do that at Big Sandy.

But agreed that guns are stupid and dumb and we should quit talking about them in this thread.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

wrong thread

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 12:54 on May 11, 2021

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Advent Horizon posted:

:dafuq:

That’s not how you defrost a mirror.

Ahem. Was the mirror covered in frost or not?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Occupants had some cuts and bruises from the glass, but no serious injuries.

The red on the windshield is just reflections from the emergency vehicle lights, not blood or paint or anything.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BitBasher posted:

That's a destructive device according to the ATF, the .50's just a rifle.

Platystemon posted:

Going to a caliber over .50 (and not in a shotgun or muzzle loader) puts you in Destructive Device territory.

The "shotgun" bit doesn't matter. A 12-gauge shotgun is a destructive device if the Secretary of the Treasury says so, which is why the Street Sweeper and similar 12-gauge shotguns are DDs. Muzzleloaders are okay though because they're not considered firearms and don't fall under the NFA.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 11, 2021

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The result of a mid air collision today in Colorado.

https://www.9news.com/mobile/article/news/local/plane-collision-crash-cherry-creek-reservoir/73-79563af1-af84-482c-b3f8-f9b40d9378eb

Edit: I now see it's well covered in the airplane thread! Well I'll just leave it here for those if us who stay on land.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 12, 2021

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

https://twitter.com/aimee_lewisTV/status/1392548614573015042?s=20

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
TIL plane parachutes are a thing

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh boy are they ever

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
we do not speak of airframe parachutes

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

BlackMK4 posted:

TIL plane parachutes are a thing

Did you think they had inflatable boats like in Indiana Jones?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Imagine exiting your plane after your white knuckle emergency landing and realizing that this is what it looks like

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

aphid_licker posted:

Imagine exiting your plane after your white knuckle emergency landing and realizing that this is what it looks like

There have been worse.

Look up Aloha Airlines Flight 243. Someone did die in that accident though since they were standing when the roof opened up.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

aphid_licker posted:

I believe the IDF still holds the record for this

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

StormDrain posted:

The result of a mid air collision today in Colorado.

https://twitter.com/scottiebateman/status/1392565518972903426

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

Flying and then landing on one loving wing. I had no idea the F-15 had that much body lift, that's the only way you could pull that off. I believe there are also stories from WW2 of bombers landing without tails and at least one landing itself without a crew.

And then there's this poo poo! Guy survives landing in a bombers severed tail!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub3WJVi-LjY&t=118s

Now that I think of it, these are all successes not failures.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

shame on an IGA posted:

The pilot didn’t know he was missing that much plane and said if he had known, he would have ejected.

Phanatic posted:

The "shotgun" bit doesn't matter. A 12-gauge shotgun is a destructive device if the Secretary of the Treasury says so, which is why the Street Sweeper and similar 12-gauge shotguns are DDs. Muzzleloaders are okay though because they're not considered firearms and don't fall under the NFA.

Well if we’re going to be pedantic about this, it’s no longer the jurisdiction of the Secretary of the Treasury. Now it’s the Attorney General’s bailiwick.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Platystemon posted:

The pilot didn’t know he was missing that much plane and said if he had known, he would have ejected.

Yeah, so much fuel vapor spraying our he couldn't see anything to that side.

They were actually able to bolt on a replacement wing and put that plane back into service.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
This led to some redesign work.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Godholio posted:

This led to some redesign work.

"why are we spending all this good money on vertical stabilizers and rudders when the drat things fly just fine without them?!?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Platystemon posted:

I think she was too low or in the wrong orientation to eject but when she'd leveled it out was surprised it seemed stable so opted to fly it home. Very badass.