Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
I'm skeptical, but that's pretty much my feeling towards any MMO these days. If this one turns out to be actually good I'll be thrilled but I'm keeping my expectations close to non-existent. I'll give them this though - their preorder packs look to be beta access, sub time, cosmetics, and cosmetic store cash which isn't the worst I've seen. At least they aren't selling day one castles and land plots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.

Erev posted:

I'm skeptical, but that's pretty much my feeling towards any MMO these days. If this one turns out to be actually good I'll be thrilled but I'm keeping my expectations close to non-existent. I'll give them this though - their preorder packs look to be beta access, sub time, cosmetics, and cosmetic store cash which isn't the worst I've seen. At least they aren't selling day one castles and land plots.

I'm in the NDA pre-alpha....it's....k...... It needs a lot of work. A few more years at an absolute minimum....still closer to being done than star citizen. So it has that going for it.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
https://ashesofcreation.com/r/1Z9GDANCVN6FZGTS

Here's my referral link. Maybe we can update the OP with a bunch of them or something. Do we need the code as well- 1Z9GDANCVN6FZGTS

edit* Thanks to the 9 people who have already used it! :doit: :doit:

hobocrunch fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 12, 2021

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

warcrimes posted:

Which is good as it was a test bed for this game. They spotted some fundamental issues and have supposedly fixed them. We're not far from non-NDA content, so tracking this game's development will be in real time.

Pretty much this.

I can't say a lot.

But I have a lot to say when I can.

I can just say "it's looking better than star citizen"

Not that that's saying a lot.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Looking forward to seeing some non NDA footage so I can either get excited or have my hopes crushed. The class diversity looks really good. The class footage released so far has good looking skills but the animations do seem kind of “piffy”. I think I probably made that word up but the skill impacts didn’t feel very weighty, a fireball just goes “piff” when it hits.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
Kickstarter MMOs are such a poo poo show. It's really just a race to get real funding, and then your development process actually starts because until then you're just cutting corners everywhere to try to get an investor client out there to show the game off enough. I mean they've hired like 70% of their developers in the last year or so. Can't expect much to have happened before that point.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Before anyone says anything about the alpha delay I will with 100% certainty say it was needed. For various reasons I can't go into yet.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Ffycchi posted:

Before anyone says anything about the alpha delay I will with 100% certainty say it was needed. For various reasons I can't go into yet.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say it's because the game was bad

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Comrayn posted:

I'm going to take a wild guess and say it's because the game was bad

Na. There's a mix of TBC being released at the same time as well as the fact that, to be honest, it's simply not loving ready.

Reviewers will get their hands on it and instantaneously destroy it. It's STRAIGHT alpha. like 90% of poo poo doesn't work or isn't implemented.

Steven has said he wants to actually implement the upcoming combat changes before it leaves NDA.

The fact is they aren't ready.

I SEE the potential in the game.

I see the constant work that is getting put into it every time i test it (unlike star shitizen where nothing happens for years because of magical unicorn engineering dust that crobear cant seem to find in his mansion and yacht)

The bad press that would inevitably come with it being as unfinished as it is is just an absolute nope in any business sense to release to people who don't get that yet. Which is almost everyone.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
OK thanks for confirming I was correct

I was excited to see some stuff but probably a good move. Back when Blizzard made good games they would delay stuff to make sure it’s right, which is always the best move for the long term.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Ffycchi posted:

Pretty much this.

I can't say a lot.

But I have a lot to say when I can.

I can just say "it's looking better than star citizen"

Not that that's saying a lot.

I'm going to ask two things:

#1 Is the quality of it point to the direction that it can be a true "big 5 competitor"?

#2 Is it achieving its "sandbox" MMO promise?

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
Yea I've heard from people in it that the game is not even close to where they act like the game is at this point. Game is not as far along as they have been communicating at all.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ort posted:

I was excited to see some stuff but probably a good move. Back when Blizzard made good games they would delay stuff to make sure it’s right, which is always the best move for the long term.

Most games you could delay for their entire dev cycle again and unless they spent that time stripping out the rotten core designs the game will still turn out terribly. Far, far more games have been delayed - at least at the level of global delay announcements - and still come out bad than have been saved by them. One or three person indie passion projects probably skew that math a little but certainly not a lot. Ashes of Creation is probably not at either point yet and realistically creating an actual honest to God indie MMO that isn't just a playable half scam is gonna take a ton of time, but it won't magically turn into a good game if they take forever. What Miyamoto should have said was that a delayed game is better, if it's already good.

Orv fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 11, 2021

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

punk rebel ecks posted:

#1 Is the quality of it point to the direction that it can be a true "big 5 competitor"?

....Maybe.

if they really don't push development for the sake of "not being star citizen" and do stupid things...yes.

The ideas behind the game are solid. The mechanics...they have some pretty solid people there.

It really comes down to time.

The Devs have shown willingness to change their ideas based on community feedback.

The actual bugtesting going on is actually pretty big. We found a LOT.

almost everything in the game is placeholder. This is a true alpha, not some crap cash grab alpha. People shouldn't have their hands on it yet. It's buggy. Most of the game isn't implemented...it probably needs 3-4 years more worth of work to be even considered for a release.

Honestly people were making jokes about how they would donate for delays instead of cosmetics. People in the community really don't want this to fail. Everyone in the NDA pretty much agrees it's not in any way ready for content creators to start giving opinions on.

I guess the most I can say is its less buggy and more to do than star citizen.

Will it be AAA competitive....maybe. I hope so. But maybe.

Far too early to tell. But I'm....optimistic?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Orv posted:

Most games you could delay for their entire dev cycle again and unless they spent that time stripping out the rotten core designs the game will still turn out terribly. Far, far more games have been delayed - at least at the level of global delay announcements - and still come out bad than have been saved by them. One or three person indie passion projects probably skew that math a little but certainly not a lot. Ashes of Creation is probably not at either point yet and realistically creating an actual honest to God indie MMO that isn't just a playable half scam is gonna take a ton of time, but it won't magically turn into a good game if they take forever. What Miyamoto should have said was that a delayed game is better, if it's already good.

https://www.nintendo-insider.com/sh...ociated%20with.

Miyamoto posted:

I didn’t mean to say a bad game is always bad, what I meant to say is if you release a game in a bad state you will always regret it,” Miyamoto explained when asked by TheJWittz.

Also, the thing is that Miyamoto said that at a time when forever delayed games weren't a thing yet. Duke Nukem Forever, the most infamous title, was announced the same year that comment was made. Kickstarter obviously wasn't a thing yet. Games often had development times of a year or two at most. Even massive RPGs. I mean, Half-Life 2 was seen as being in "development hell" because it took five years to release. The issue back then was that publishers really pushed developers to released games that were just not ready. It wasn't uncommon to have developers be commissioned to create and ship titles in under six months. Today it may seem that many developers need to know when to call it quits like Kojima or countless Kickstarter campaigns, but at the time rushed game releases were a major problem.

*I assume this is a translation error and he meant to say "I didn't mean to say that a non-delayed game is always bad".

Ffycchi posted:

....Maybe.

if they really don't push development for the sake of "not being star citizen" and do stupid things...yes.

The ideas behind the game are solid. The mechanics...they have some pretty solid people there.

It really comes down to time.

The Devs have shown willingness to change their ideas based on community feedback.

The actual bugtesting going on is actually pretty big. We found a LOT.

almost everything in the game is placeholder. This is a true alpha, not some crap cash grab alpha. People shouldn't have their hands on it yet. It's buggy. Most of the game isn't implemented...it probably needs 3-4 years more worth of work to be even considered for a release.

Honestly people were making jokes about how they would donate for delays instead of cosmetics. People in the community really don't want this to fail. Everyone in the NDA pretty much agrees it's not in any way ready for content creators to start giving opinions on.

I guess the most I can say is its less buggy and more to do than star citizen.

Will it be AAA competitive....maybe. I hope so. But maybe.

Far too early to tell. But I'm....optimistic?

Great response. Thank you.

Orv
May 4, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

https://www.nintendo-insider.com/sh...ociated%20with.

Also, the thing is that Miyamoto said that at a time when forever delayed games weren't a thing yet. Duke Nukem Forever, the most infamous title, was announced the same year that comment was made. Kickstarter obviously wasn't a thing yet. Games often had development times of a year or two at most. Even massive RPGs. I mean, Half-Life 2 was seen as being in "development hell" because it took five years to release. The issue back then was that publishers really pushed developers to released games that were just not ready. It wasn't uncommon to have developers be commissioned to create and ship titles in under six months. Today it may seem that many developers need to know when to call it quits like Kojima or countless Kickstarter campaigns, but at the time rushed game releases were a major problem.

*I assume this is a translation error and he meant to say "I didn't mean to say that a non-delayed game is always bad".

I was being overly pithy and shouldn't have misquoted a half remembered thing anyway, but what I was getting at was actually something else after I thought about it. My concern with Ashes is that as Ffycchi has said, it's actually in development and even if they're delaying it now, it's still going to be in an actual, honest to god alpha state in July. We've seen a ton of games go down the road of giving backers access during even late alpha stages where a lot of stuff is set up and figured out and then spin their wheels for years trying to accommodate frankly a bunch of people that shouldn't be anywhere near a game in that stage. Kickstarted MMOs in particular have failed at this stage of things or come out of it with a giant, unfun mess - Crowfall most recently - that isn't going to be remotely sustainable. The ideal thing would be to close up shop, tell everyone to gently caress off for four years and deliver a game. But that djinn is long out of the bottle, that probably isn't sustainable unless they have a ton of outside investment and people would lose their goddamn minds because gamers are the most entitled children on earth.

I honestly hope it turns out differently, I hope it comes together and is decent and sticks around for more than eight months or two years or whatever. I expect, however, that they're making the exact same mistakes everyone else has and it's going to end the same way, even with this delay and the apparent knowledge of the devs/backer community that they need to keep it hands off for a while longer. And while as I said in my first post, things like this do take a large amount of time, five years into a project with "We probably shouldn't let people without a critical eye/development knowledge anywhere near this" is not a great look no matter what.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Unfortunately I have no faith in anyone developing an MMO of any real size the “normal way” to make anything interesting right now, so I kinda just have to cross my fingers and hope something like this ends up working out, even if it feels kinda skeezy at times. I check out their monthly streams occasionally and they’ve at least been very clear that you shouldn’t be trying the alpha unless you’re really into playing broken, buggy stuff, which all games are at this point. So that’s good I guess.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Anno posted:

Unfortunately I have no faith in anyone developing an MMO of any real size the “normal way” to make anything interesting right now, so I kinda just have to cross my fingers and hope something like this ends up working out, even if it feels kinda skeezy at times. I check out their monthly streams occasionally and they’ve at least been very clear that you shouldn’t be trying the alpha unless you’re really into playing broken, buggy stuff, which all games are at this point. So that’s good I guess.

Yeah they don't hide that it's a hot mess in its current state...which gives me hope.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I only recently remembered this game existed after seeing Josh Strife Hayes' video about not over hyping the game. I looked at some videos and it looks really good, I'll probably check it out in beta in a year or 2.

I have one big question though, I didn't watch the whole video to find an answer, but have the devs stated why they think a 60 man raid boss is ok in 2021? They know that kind of poo poo is why wildstar tanked right?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Elblanco posted:

I only recently remembered this game existed after seeing Josh Strife Hayes' video about not over hyping the game. I looked at some videos and it looks really good, I'll probably check it out in beta in a year or 2.

I have one big question though, I didn't watch the whole video to find an answer, but have the devs stated why they think a 60 man raid boss is ok in 2021? They know that kind of poo poo is why wildstar tanked right?

40 man raiding outlived 25 man raiding in wildstar so I'm not sure I agree it is what killed wildstar.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

30.5 Days posted:

40 man raiding outlived 25 man raiding in wildstar so I'm not sure I agree it is what killed wildstar.

Pointing to, like, anything at all that Wildstar did is maybe not the ringing endorsement of trying to herd 40 cats together for hours on end. Times have changed, we can do better now.

edit: Well OK their housing was amazing, more games need to do that.

Orv
May 4, 2011
We're all decrepit ancients now, ain't nobody got time for that poo poo.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Orv posted:

We're all decrepit ancients now, ain't nobody got time for that poo poo.

I'll barely have time to play it on release but eh. I'm hoping for that old nostalgia from good MMOs.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Ffycchi posted:

I'll barely have time to play it on release but eh. I'm hoping for that old nostalgia from good MMOs.

this but every time a new MMO launched since like 2006

I'm hoping for a game that's fun enough to justify burning some vacation time to get that old poopsockin' fix, I want a solid uninterrupted week of that just-barely-launched jank that MMOs do so well

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
Verbal NDA was dropped so anyone in the A1 is able to talk about their experience, just no pictures of videos.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I think so, it definitely needs a ton of polish, but you can start to see the way things are behind the scenes. I think the biggest indicator is in the A1 test Steven and some of the other devs were incredibly involved in working with people. Testing was also hyper-focussed.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Pretty early days, the first Alpha tested the node system. We were able to level nodes and build stuff like shops. It's hard to say since it's still very much Alpha, but a node town was necessary to get mounts and stuff.

The alpha is very much an alpha - it's as you'd properly expect from an early software alpha, so it's hard to give feedback on how things work, or what's possible. IMO, what I saw, looked good. I wasn't necessarily impressed, but I wasn't disenchanted or unhappy with the game state.

Referral code if anyone is so inclined: https://ashesofcreation.com/r/GZ6F55UW9N3VZ1YU

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Red Herring posted:

Verbal NDA was dropped so anyone in the A1 is able to talk about their experience, just no pictures of videos.

I think so, it definitely needs a ton of polish, but you can start to see the way things are behind the scenes. I think the biggest indicator is in the A1 test Steven and some of the other devs were incredibly involved in working with people. Testing was also hyper-focussed.

Pretty early days, the first Alpha tested the node system. We were able to level nodes and build stuff like shops. It's hard to say since it's still very much Alpha, but a node town was necessary to get mounts and stuff.

The alpha is very much an alpha - it's as you'd properly expect from an early software alpha, so it's hard to give feedback on how things work, or what's possible. IMO, what I saw, looked good. I wasn't necessarily impressed, but I wasn't disenchanted or unhappy with the game state.

Referral code if anyone is so inclined: https://ashesofcreation.com/r/GZ6F55UW9N3VZ1YU

You just restated basically everything I said :dafuq:

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
it’s good to get some confirmation from different alpha goons.

Can’t wait to play this in 5 years.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Kaysette posted:

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Kaysette posted:

True.

About 5 years is pretty accurate tbh.

Looks like the lead game designer just left the company and project today, so that will probably throw some kinks into the works.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Ort posted:

Looks like the lead game designer just left the company and project today, so that will probably throw some kinks into the works.

None of us have any real idea on the inner workings but this is 99.9% of the time a red flag, especially for a company that is(was?) growing so quickly.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Word on the street is that juice guy went on one power trip too many

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Pretty glad I managed to convince myself to never invest in these games beyond following threads. Seems to have been a decision that has saved me yet again.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Ort posted:

Kaysette posted:

lmao

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I can’t imagine how I’d be feeling right now if I was one of the people that purchased the $500 package.

Edit: Went through and read the thread from the beginning until right when COVID started and wow, I had no idea. I just started looking into the game because I’d heard about it before and honestly, because it was at the top of this forum. This thread is a pleasure to read armed with the most recent info from the last page or so. I even feel bad about what I said about the $500 version because it’s clear some people in this thread are among them.

I’ll finish the last 5-6 pages tomorrow when I’ve had some sleep. I wanna see what people say while the pandemic is raging.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 09:38 on May 29, 2021

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
If someone gave five hundred dollars to a game before it was even playable they were going to lose it to the wallet inspector anyway.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
They’re not called bideo shames for nothing.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Let he who has not thrown down $200 on a beta cuz of FOMO cast the first stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

Let he who has not thrown down $200 on a beta cuz of FOMO cast the first stone.

[Casting Stone ... 3.2]