Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Isn't Iger the reason shows like Iron Fist were crap?

Producer: Iron Fist is a show about a man with no superpowers who got so good at martial arts he was able to punch a dragon in the loving heart.

Iger: Okay, but we're on a tight schedule here because I want to push this out the door yesterday. So, how much practice for a fight scene do they need? 15 minutes sounds about right.

I’m not sure about Iger’s involvement with Marvel stuff, I think that was more on Perlmutter and/or Jeph Loeb (?). I may be wrong though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’d be down for a Q’ira/Maul/whatever show. I’m not sure I’d say I liked Solo, but I didn’t think it was anywhere near as bad as the reviews made it out to be and the cast was fun.

Eh, the problem with doing anything with Maul is that Rebels brought his arc to a pretty satisfying end. (Yes I know and agree with 'gently caress continuity', but Rebels did it well and didn't leave much left to do with the character).

I remember watching Solo with a friend and our reactions were both 'that wasn't bad, but if it wasn't a Star Wars film I'm not sure I would have bothered to see it'.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I think there's opportunity continuing with the aborted Solo storyline without Maul and focusing on Q'ra.

You might even be able to extend it through and beyond the ST. For example, Lucasfilm was so insistent on ruining the OT heros, go whole hog on it and have Han have an affair with Q'ra years earlier (while still married to Leia) and have a series focusing on her trying to pass her crime syndicate empire to a child that doesn't want it.

Might even work into a story similar to Lucas's original idea for the sequel trilogy.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Sash! posted:

So how long has that one guy been a deserter (or whatever) there on Farm Planet? He's got a family and stuff.

I'll contend for the rest of my life that they should have made the Clone Wars at least a decade long, so that they have time to make more stories work over a long war instead of cramming stuff into two years.

The kids are from his wife's last husband, and at this point, he's been there for about two years and some change

TCW were three years long (22-19BBY)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Vinylshadow posted:

The kids are from his wife's last husband, and at this point, he's been there for about two years and some change

Yeah, he's the kids step-dad. And I think he had been there since almost the start of the war. He defected after his first combat, so mayb 3ish years and change. Doesn't really matter.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Arquinsiel posted:

It's the "I didn't think there was this much green in the whole galaxy" line, except... better.

I actually always really liked that line.

Jerkface posted:

They kept the May release date instead of pushing it to December like it should have been. Star Wars owned the holidays and it was cool to have them released in the same season so you could identify winter as "star wars time".

This. Disney had a great thing on their hands. Christmas time was Star Wars time at the theater. They could have kept that up. Every December could have been time for a new Star Wars movie. But they wanted to test the waters on if they could do 2 Star Wars movies a year, so they went with another less than 6 months after the last one, and it blew up in their faces. Star Wars isn't Marvel.

I really liked that short few years when I knew every December was Star Wars time. Way to gently caress it up, Disney.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Its Rinaldo posted:

I had no problem with Omega doing that, made perfect sense for her character. "We'll get the ball later, don't go past the fence" and "We'll get the ball later when our dad can make sure nobody is going to get eaten, don't go past the fence" are two very different things! A couple of young kids may or may not convey that but it is believable that they didn't and Omega wanting to make sure the fun doesn't stop with new friends and not thinking why they would have rules not to go past the fence that has booby traps is also a good bit of characterization

I agree it's totally a thing an innocent like Omega would do. And I don't blame the other kids at all - they're kids.

What annoyed me is that it was the responsibility of every adult present - including the other childrens' parents - to make her aware that passing beyond the wire could have meant death and they didn't.

Then they treated her like what happened was her error when there was no possible way for her to know it was dangerous*.

* I know, this is Star Wars. Everywhere is dangerous and crawling with monsters.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Larryb posted:

Do her and Han ever cross paths again in any EU material? I know she pops up in some of the comics at least.

For that matter, has there been any post-ROS EU stuff yet?

Probably the closest was The Lego Star Wars Holiday Special.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

This. Disney had a great thing on their hands. Christmas time was Star Wars time at the theater. They could have kept that up. Every December could have been time for a new Star Wars movie. But they wanted to test the waters on if they could do 2 Star Wars movies a year, so they went with another less than 6 months after the last one, and it blew up in their faces. Star Wars isn't Marvel.

I really liked that short few years when I knew every December was Star Wars time. Way to gently caress it up, Disney.

Hopefully they start it back up. Star Wars movie every Christmas was pretty great. I did like that they dropped Solo in May since that’s Star Wars month but it did hurt them and I was looking forward to a sequel. So hopefully they’ll start up with a Star Wars movie every Christmas and a couple show premiers throughout the year, including May the 4th. :3:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Anita Dickinme posted:

Hopefully they start it back up. Star Wars movie every Christmas was pretty great. I did like that they dropped Solo in May since that’s Star Wars month but it did hurt them and I was looking forward to a sequel. So hopefully they’ll start up with a Star Wars movie every Christmas and a couple show premiers throughout the year, including May the 4th. :3:

They seem to be focusing almost entirely on TV shows for the foreseeable future, with the sole exception of Rogue Squadron. So I guess we'll have to see how that does.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Vinylshadow posted:

Huh, weird, for some reason I always thought the kids were human/Twi'lek hybrids, hence their weird blotchy skin colors. But of course you're right, it makes no sense in the timeline.

Then again, if Rebels taught us anything, human/Twi'lek hybrids simply look like humans, but with green hair for some reason.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

thrawn527 posted:

I don't dislike it, but it is a slightly silly thing to say about a colour.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Dave Syndrome posted:

Huh, weird, for some reason I always thought the kids were human/Twi'lek hybrids, hence their weird blotchy skin colors. But of course you're right, it makes no sense in the timeline.

Then again, if Rebels taught us anything, human/Twi'lek hybrids simply look like humans, but with green hair for some reason.

drat, I’d thought they were his too, but you’re right. The timeline wouldn’t make sense for that.

I wonder what Rex was up to when he passed through? I’d like to see Gregor and Wolffe make an appearance too, maybe set up as an analogue to Crosshair’s chip and loyalty situation? Wolffe did rat out the Spectres, after all.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The kids are hybrids, her first husband was also a human. They don’t mention if he died or just abandoned them, but Cut is their adopted father.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

thrawn527 posted:

They seem to be focusing almost entirely on TV shows for the foreseeable future, with the sole exception of Rogue Squadron. So I guess we'll have to see how that does.

There are still a surprising number of theatrical projects in the pipeline--in addition to Rogue Squadron; Johnson's trilogy, Waititi's film, and one produced by Feige are all still coming.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

jivjov posted:

There are still a surprising number of theatrical projects in the pipeline--in addition to Rogue Squadron; Johnson's trilogy, Waititi's film, and one produced by Feige are all still coming.

I'm not saying they're cancelled, because I'm sure they're not, but they're clearly on the back burner for now. Feige, Johnson, and Waititi are all working on other things (Johnson, for example, is going to be busy making his two Knives Out sequels for Netflix), and Lucasfilm hasn't talked about them in a while, and certainly haven't given a release timeline for them, so I'm not counting them until I see anything new from them. They're in development hell, as far as I'm concerned.

Rogue Squadron, however, seems to be moving forward faster than the other movies mentioned, and has, at least, a soft release date. So let's just say that it's the only movie coming in the next few years.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 10, 2021

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Just caught up, glad to see someone finally found a use for the block chain

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

thrawn527 posted:

Rogue Squadron, however, seems to be moving forward faster than the other movies mentioned, and has, at least, a soft release date. So let's just say that it's the only movie coming in the next few years.

My guess is Waititi’s film will come not long after Rogue Squadron given Taika’s current popularity. He’s a busy man, but the only other major project he has after Thor is his soccer film that already finished filming in 2019.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My guess is Waititi’s film will come not long after Rogue Squadron given Taika’s current popularity. He’s a busy man, but the only other major project he has after Thor is his soccer film that already finished filming in 2019.

He's also acting as Blackbeard in an HBO pirate comedy (and directing the first episode), but I'll admit that won't take nearly as much of his time.

I'm hopeful we'll get more Star Wars movies. But that returns to my original point, that it will depend on how Rogue Squadron does when it comes out in (maybe) December 2023. Because other than that, we're looking at Star Wars shows for now.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

thrawn527 posted:

I'm not saying they're cancelled, because I'm sure they're not, but they're clearly on the back burner for now. Feige, Johnson, and Waititi are all working on other things (Johnson, for example, is going to be busy making his two Knives Out sequels for Netflix), and Lucasfilm hasn't talked about them in a while, and certainly haven't given a release timeline for them, so I'm not counting them until I see anything new from them. They're in development hell, as far as I'm concerned.

I’m pretty sure Waititi’s film, and maybe Feige’s as well, were both announced at the same investor event as Rogue Squadron back in December. It was clear Rogue was the one most developed or along, for whatever that’s worth for a movie they said wouldn’t be out until December 2023, so it makes sense we have heard next to nothing about the other two.

Johnson's trilogy is the one that’s probably on the back burner, up in the air, or whatever, since I don’t think anyone remotely associated with Star Wars has acknowledged it in a while.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

By the way, I updated the woefully out of date OP (it was made before Mando or Resistance premiered) since we now have a poo poo ton of new shows coming. For anyone who cares about that kind of thing.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

fartknocker posted:

Johnson's trilogy is the one that’s probably on the back burner, up in the air, or whatever, since I don’t think anyone remotely associated with Star Wars has acknowledged it in a while.

When the Knives Out sequels were announced earlier this year Johnson did an interview where he was asked about his future Star Wars stuff and he confirmed that it’s still in production, just at a very early stage. He’s also been on-set during Mando season 1 & 2 filming, so he’s still involved with LFL in some capacity. I don’t think it’s dead, I just think the success of Mando (and potential for more SW shows) paired with his own success with Knives Out has shifted priorities for all parties involved.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I love the lightning concepts they put out as part of the episode guides

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Wait how do you whitewash a character that is played by Harrison Ford?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Wait how do you whitewash a character that is played by Harrison Ford?

As in make Han less morally ambigious and more straight up boy scout

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yeah, maybe “whitewash” was the wrong word but that’s basically what I was getting at.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

bunnyofdoom posted:

Oh, I haven't heard "whitewash" used in that way in ages. I was confused because I thought it was being said that Han was a non-white character in the original films.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

thrawn527 posted:

By the way, I updated the woefully out of date OP (it was made before Mando or Resistance premiered) since we now have a poo poo ton of new shows coming. For anyone who cares about that kind of thing.

An updated OP is a blessing for those who come into a topic years after the fact so thanks from this goon

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
My biggest gripe about Solo was how it was just painfully determined to explain Han Solo completely, like who in the gently caress seriously needed to know where his last name came from??

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

How did he get those dice?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Why do his pants have a stripe on them?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Where did he get his gun?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

How did he get those dice?

Arquinsiel posted:

Why do his pants have a stripe on them?
Funnily enough, I don't think the movie answers either of these questions

bunnyofdoom posted:

It did this one though, and it was goofy

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Cross-Section posted:

It did this one though, and it was goofy

No it does. It's a tragic keepsake from Q'ira

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

bunnyofdoom posted:

No it does. It's a tragic keepsake from Q'ira

Yeah, she really loved those pants.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cross-Section posted:

It's a joke about it being the thing that they've already just decided to explain in the old continuity, while ignoring the stripes on everyone else's pants.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Going back and rereading the thread, amused at both highly right and wrong predictions we all made.

Oh, past us, how innocent we were:

quote:

As far as I know, Carano isn't a transphobic piece of poo poo Sandy Hook truther like Rousey.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Madurai posted:

Oh, past us, how innocent we were:

Pretty sure this was me because when Carano started going off the rails with her stupid rear end chud bullshit, I remember feeling so defeated lol.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Solo would have been a lot better if they’d just skipped the opening and meeting Chewbacca and started the movie right before he meets Beckett with Chewie already serving as his copilot. Then have the main plot cover his first meeting with Lando and reuniting with Q’ira for the heist. You don’t need any of the street urchin Corellia stuff or the Cadet Han scenes and starting the Q’ira/Han relationship as an old flame that isn’t fully explained or shown would have helped make her actions more ambiguous and kept you guessing where her loyalties lie.

I like the movie, but the flaws all seem so easy to fix. And step one is finding a completely different composer because that score is awful and anemic and utterly forgettable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

bunnyofdoom posted:

I always thought it was lovely that Rey didn’t get Han’s DL-44 blaster. It was an iconic item and would have been a bridge between the generations.