Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

this always makes me laugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

President Beep posted:

oldest son just fell out of his bed (he’s fine) so after a mad dash into his room to investigate the loud thump
and subsequent crying i’m all :sludgepal:

one time not long after we got my son a real bed he fell out right onto a cushion i put down there and i found him still sleeping on teh floor lmao

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

bobbilljim posted:

one time not long after we got my son a real bed he fell out right onto a cushion i put down there and i found him still sleeping on teh floor lmao
same here with my daughter last year. it was pretty funny but we now use pool noodles under the fitted sheet to avoid it as she now doesn't sleep QUITE as soundly

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Kenny Logins posted:

same here with my daughter last year. it was pretty funny but we now use pool noodles under the fitted sheet to avoid it as she now doesn't sleep QUITE as soundly

filing this pro strat for later

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
jeez, my kid is doing this doing some online math exercises via this site called dreambox and he’s working on basic algebra. he’s not even finished second grade yet. I don’t think i got exposed to this stuff until middle school.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

President Beep posted:

jeez, my kid is doing this doing some online math exercises via this site called dreambox and he’s working on basic algebra. he’s not even finished second grade yet. I don’t think i got exposed to this stuff until middle school.

that’s how you can tell common core is garbage.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

im so mad about common core

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
common core happened after i left, would anyone give me a book jacket description of it?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
it would've made me like math a whole lot more and turned me into an even bigger nerd

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Stringent posted:

common core happened after i left, would anyone give me a book jacket description of it?

the idea, for math anyway, is that there are lots of different ways to do things, and different people are more adept at solving problems in different ways.

Which is great, but here's how it works out in practice:

Say there's 5 different ways to do Problem X. Ok, so you'd think you'd show the 5 different ways and let kids use whichever way they find clearest and easiest right?

WRONG. They have to do Problem X 5 times, one for each way, despite not being adept at four of them.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
that sucks, lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

it sure does.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

rotor posted:

the idea, for math anyway, is that there are lots of different ways to do things, and different people are more adept at solving problems in different ways.

Which is great, but here's how it works out in practice:

Say there's 5 different ways to do Problem X. Ok, so you'd think you'd show the 5 different ways and let kids use whichever way they find clearest and easiest right?

WRONG. They have to do Problem X 5 times, one for each way, despite not being adept at four of them.

isn’t that an implementation issue and not actually in common core

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

isn’t that an implementation issue and not actually in common core

well its the loving implementation that matters isnt it

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

rotor posted:

well its the loving implementation that matters isnt it

yeah didnt you see aaron sorkin movie 'the social network' sheesh

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

this isn't something where you tell your crying children who now hate mathematics after years of this bullshit that oh this is just a bad implementation of an idea, just wait around for a decade or two for people to sort things out

New Math rendered like 3-5 years worth of kids innumerate in the 70s, my prediction is the same thing will happen now and it's entirely because some Education PhDs needed to justify their existence.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

and for the record, there seems to be some New Math chucked in there as well, when it first showed up my 1st grader was bringing home things like

'here's the three apples you have [picture of 3 apples] and here's the two apples your friend has [picture of two apples]. Now draw a circle around all the apples - what is the cardinality of apples in the circle?"

New Math is a loving cancer and common core isn't much better. You do not teach 5 year old children math by starting at set theory and i dont give a gently caress if set theory IS the foundation of mathematics.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

rotor posted:

and for the record, there seems to be some New Math chucked in there as well, when it first showed up my 1st grader was bringing home things like

'here's the three apples you have [picture of 3 apples] and here's the two apples your friend has [picture of two apples]. Now draw a circle around all the apples - what is the cardinality of apples in the circle?"

New Math is a loving cancer and common core isn't much better. You do not teach 5 year old children math by starting at set theory and i dont give a gently caress if set theory IS the foundation of mathematics.

it’s 5 rotor, not that hard tbh

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Gentle Autist posted:

it’s 5 rotor, not that hard tbh

well yes in retrospect that is clear

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
i forgot what cardinality means. i have an engineering degree

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

bobbilljim posted:

its the number of elements in a set

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bobbilljim posted:

i always remember it as being the same as a magnitude because it uses the same notation

this has the bonus of making math people mad

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

i always remember it as being the same as a magnitude because it uses the same notation

this has the bonus of making math people mad

:mad:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
well, apples aren’t elements (they are fruit, technically) so the answer is zero.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

no, i didn’t graduate from high school. why do you ask?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

honestly i think we generally try to teach kids math much too early. a lot of material has crept down the ages as if you can just generally jumpstart knowledge in everything, and where i think reading and writing is better the earlier you can get onto it the same is not true at all for math. basic arithmetic sure, but just about everything past that requires a level of abstraction to be not only understandable, but at all enjoyable, and i just don't think young children have that yet.

not like you need it to round out the syllabus, there's tons of things you could teach first- and second-graders which they would enjoy and have use of knowing.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
admittedly my experience is skewed by not being in the US, but my impression from looking at my son's homework has been that anything beyond simple arithmetic (word problems or whatever) are made exceedingly difficult by textbook authors being utterly incapable of writing unambiguous problems.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

honestly i think we generally try to teach kids math much too early.

In the US, I think we teach a lot of things too early. Instead of sprinting through math to get kids into calculus in their senior year in high school we should be teaching more nonacademic subjects like "how to make food from ingredients," "how to manage a household budget," "how to understand common statistics," "how to manage time effectively" and other life skills that will help them be successful adults.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

you get a lot of people saying "these are the things parents should teach their children" but that tends to not happen reliably.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

rotor posted:

In the US, I think we teach a lot of things too early. Instead of sprinting through math to get kids into calculus in their senior year in high school we should be teaching more nonacademic subjects like "how to make food from ingredients," "how to manage a household budget," "how to understand common statistics," "how to manage time effectively" and other life skills that will help them be successful adults.

i had a bunch of practical home ec type stuff in school. i learned how to hem pants which was cool but i have long since forgotten how to do it. i can still sew buttons and darn sweaters tho. we went thru one thing where we had to plan out a monthly household budget complete with meal planning for a family

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Shaggar posted:

i had a bunch of practical home ec type stuff in school. i learned how to hem pants which was cool but i have long since forgotten how to do it. i can still sew buttons and darn sweaters tho.

yeah i'm talking about kids going to school in this century

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
fair. its definitely doable and idk what the hell they teach kids these days

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Shaggar posted:

idk what the hell they teach kids these days

set theory and eight different ways to factor the same quadratic equation

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
never let math majors have any input on the teaching of math because it will always be the most useless poo poo taught in the worst way possible

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Shaggar posted:

never let math majors have any input on the teaching of math because it will always be the most useless poo poo taught in the worst way possible

I got a math degree from a school where math majors were primarily math ed people and I 100% agree with this.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
bear grylls should be teaching math

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Shaggar posted:

fair. its definitely doable and idk what the hell they teach kids these days

xbox and myspace for all i know.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Shaggar posted:

same but programmers/programming

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Stringent posted:

admittedly my experience is skewed by not being in the US, but my impression from looking at my son's homework has been that anything beyond simple arithmetic (word problems or whatever) are made exceedingly difficult by textbook authors being utterly incapable of writing unambiguous problems.

I think they're meant to be developing verbal comprehension or something but I can never tell if I'm missing something or if the authors just have no idea what they're doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

pointsofdata posted:

I think they're meant to be developing verbal comprehension or something but I can never tell if I'm missing something or if the authors just have no idea what they're doing

me and my wife read them and frequently can't understand the questions so i'm pretty sure a lot of them are poorly written