Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Bonaventure posted:

a big ingredient in what made SBFP good was their enthusiasm and engagement with the games. i gave oneyplays a shot since at least they have the energy; i found them not very funny but more than anything what bothered me is, like, they barely seemed to acknowledge a game was being played and then only for one of them to be like "dude... what the gently caress are you playing? what the gently caress is ... this...?" it felt like they were forcing a lot of humor just to stop themselves from being bored, never mind the audience.

Man, we're just not gonna get moments like these from anyone else are we :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5gCs1qgT34&t=108s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Woolie & Friends will do it, but first you have to watch 15 minutes of an inventory screen

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Woolie and Reggie have gotten a great rapport over the last year or so.

Also I think time has made it obvious that, yeah, the only person who really wanted to be in SBFP after a certain point was Woolie.

loose goose
Oct 29, 2012

once i possess what i desire the millenium rod will mean absolutely nothing to me

Bonaventure posted:

Woolie & Friends will do it, but first you have to watch 15 minutes of an inventory screen

I've tried to dive into some of the WoolieVS LP's but I feel like there is A LOT of dead time like that, at least of what I've seen. I've found myself watching his compilations more than anything. I can't get into Pat's stuff because I cannot get into Solo LP's unless it's docfuture's Sonic 2 Special Edition or Cybershell. Selfishly I wish we could have more Woolie and Pat but it's for the best the boys are doing their own thing.

loose goose fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 10, 2021

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Yeah, I definitely agree on SBFP being like the last fun video crew. It's such a shame that the SA LP forum became such a land of backseat modders and tattle-talers who demanded that posters only create monotone bullshit.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Man, I went from Tipping 40s to SBFP after the former stopped. And then SBFP stopped and I haven't been able to find another group like that. Such a shame.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Giant Bomb was still consistently solid up to the quarantine and had some all-time greatest hits during the quarantine as well, but they just fell apart a few days ago so welp

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Pennsylvanian posted:

Yeah, I definitely agree on SBFP being like the last fun video crew. It's such a shame that the SA LP forum became such a land of backseat modders and tattle-talers who demanded that posters only create monotone bullshit.

Well you see LP is art and must adhere to the conventions.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Well you see LP is art war and must adhere to the conventions.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Giantbomb just kinda died with Ryan for me honestly, it sucks, but there was such a personality vacuum left by him.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
SA's formerly own Chip and Ironicus, exiled for suggesting that Lowtax was a less-than-ideal father, provide entertaining and exceptionally polished group-commentary of games they actually like; but only once every two weeks if you're lucky because they have real jobs, and i use LPs for low-investment entertainment when i'm exercising or drinking alone; and i do at least one of those more often than that schedule can accommodate

solo commentary is poison

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I know I've said it like a thousand times but if you haven't watched Woolie and Super Eyepatch Wolf's Goemon LP you're missing out on an all-time great

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Ironicus still posts here but yeah, just here and there to talk about bits of what they're doing usually.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pennsylvanian posted:

What do you mean became?

For better or worse it basicallycame to exist because of a tyrian 2000 lp not being up to par :v

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Blockhouse posted:

I know I've said it like a thousand times but if you haven't watched Woolie and Super Eyepatch Wolf's Goemon LP you're missing out on an all-time great

I just loaded that one up since I never got around to watching it, and I think the internet has broken my ability to see things clearly.

Let's zoom in...

Woolie's eyes are looking kind of sus there, huh... :negative:

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I miss the Freelance Astronauts terribly. And to a lesser extent but also a lot the Me Drinking Coffee.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Yardbomb posted:

Giantbomb just kinda died with Ryan for me honestly, it sucks, but there was such a personality vacuum left by him.
while it's true ryan can't be replaced, there is an incredible wealth of amazing content that is on par or better than pre-2013 gb. you should watch their Contradiction: Spot the Liar playthrough with Austin Walker.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Bonaventure posted:

SA's formerly own Chip and Ironicus, exiled for suggesting that Lowtax was a less-than-ideal father
no they weren't, you're thinking of psychedellic eyeball

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

beep by grandpa posted:

no they weren't, you're thinking of psychedellic eyeball

Voidburger was as well, which pretty well meant Chip was out too.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Chip and Ironicus' Jojo podcast, "Bizarre Podcast: Dogs Must Die" is a lot of fun, and somewhat worth mentioning since I imagine most SBF people either already knew Jojos, or were like me and felt the need to watch the anime to understand the references they'd constantly make to it.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Acerbatus posted:

What do you mean became?

For better or worse it basicallycame to exist because of a tyrian 2000 lp not being up to par :v

I remember the dogpiling of Crab being such a weird and creepy rallying point. His LPs were kinda poo, but who cares? I remember giving up around the time that any fun new thread had the inevitable "Did you check with the sandcastle before posting this?" post as the first reply.

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

Reading those old lp critique threads and old retsupuraes and stuff are in hindsight pretty funny. They always used to push people towards obscure video hosts that basically had no chance of exposure outside of your forum thread and a lot of the stuff they complained about ended up being stuff that ended up making let’s plays some degree of mainstream, like facecams and blind playthroughs and casual commentary

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
To this day I still don't get the point of the whole polsy thing instead of directly linking to youtube.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Keeps YouTube's related videos from potentially spoiling stuff.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

But.. You can just embed a youtube video directly on the forum and it will be basically the same without being one failed payment from a fuckload of archived lp's being nuked?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You can *now*. I don't think it was a thing at the time.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah but what I mean is people still use polsy

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Tradition, text links are tidier, they don't want a big pile of thumbnails spoiling things? Ask them I guess.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Using Polsy is largely a courtesy thing.

Threads full of embedded youtube videos can be a pain in the rear end to browse (I've never had an issue unless there's a million videos on a single page, but people often complain about them killing their browsers), and embedding directly on the forum can still show random spoilery thumbnails at the end. When you play a video on Polsy, it only shows thumbnails from the same uploader.

Also, while LP genuinely used to be full of elitist dickheads simultaneously demanding perfect quality from your videos and treating the entire "pseudo-hobby" as something you should be ashamed of doing and most certainly should never try to make money from, it's been pretty chill for the last five or so years and the whole "but what do you bring to the table :smug:" poo poo is actively mocked nowadays. Of course, most of the bigger names have moved on as well.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vandar posted:

I just loaded that one up since I never got around to watching it, and I think the internet has broken my ability to see things clearly.

Let's zoom in...

Woolie's eyes are looking kind of sus there, huh... :negative:

f...uck...

Pennsylvanian posted:

I remember the dogpiling of Crab being such a weird and creepy rallying point. His LPs were kinda poo, but who cares? I remember giving up around the time that any fun new thread had the inevitable "Did you check with the sandcastle before posting this?" post as the first reply.

Part (a lot?) of it had to due with crab being a prick.

Reaverbot posted:

Reading those old lp critique threads and old retsupuraes and stuff are in hindsight pretty funny. They always used to push people towards obscure video hosts that basically had no chance of exposure outside of your forum thread and a lot of the stuff they complained about ended up being stuff that ended up making let’s plays some degree of mainstream, like facecams and blind playthroughs and casual commentary

I will say I hate facecams for further enabling parasocial relationships and generally people that just talk about random bullshit the entire time without even acknowledging the game, especially for indie stuff. It just feels disrespectful to me.

Exposure also wasn't a big deal since despite how seriously people took it there was a mindset of "stop trying to make money off of a hobby you should be doing for passion" which as a starving artist type I can kinda get.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 08:26 on May 11, 2021

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The height of talking over video games has been Giant Bomb for 13 years, though with Alex, Vinny, and Brad simultaneously retiring, on the heels of losing Dan, Abby, and Ben one by one since 2020, the future of the Gerstmann Empire is

Well, not for nothing, Vinny has said that RedVentures, the new owners, are actually giving GB attention they never got at CBS, so we'll see how that goes.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The thing that always made me laugh about the LP forum was that the Yogscast were goons, and their channel was the biggest thing in the UK for a long time, but it was largely ignored. I always assumed that's because they were hugely successful goons who weren't part of that sub's community.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

The thing that always made me laugh about the LP forum was that the Yogscast were goons, and their channel was the biggest thing in the UK for a long time, but it was largely ignored. I always assumed that's because they were hugely successful goons who weren't part of that sub's community.

To an extent I imagine it was also because they were mostly just goofing off in Minecraft and the such, not playing relatively structured games with defined endpoints.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Well yeah, for sure. But that just reflects the myopic nature of that sub-forum at the time.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's more that it's mine craft. Gamers and forums have a blind eye to the most popular video game.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I’m pretty sure I learned about mine craft specifically through SA. There was a goon server or something for the original Java version.

There was no blind spot, minecraft just didn’t fit the ethos of LP at the time. That said, we had stuff like that animal crossing LP that crafted its own narrative, so it’s not like it wouldn’t have been possible.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

What's sort of funny about this discussion being in this thread is iirc chipcheezum and ironicus did a (deleted) retsupurae of a video of matt and pat playing some hunting game back during the height of the forum's elitism.

Makes me wonder how many of the channels that were made fun of back then went on to be hugely profitable when AFIAK no one from SA was ever able to make a live off of full time LPing

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Oxyclean posted:

I’m pretty sure I learned about mine craft specifically through SA. There was a goon server or something for the original Java version.

There was no blind spot, minecraft just didn’t fit the ethos of LP at the time. That said, we had stuff like that animal crossing LP that crafted its own narrative, so it’s not like it wouldn’t have been possible.

dave_o was doing minecraft videos on this website

beep by grandpa posted:

What's sort of funny about this discussion being in this thread is iirc chipcheezum and ironicus did a (deleted) retsupurae of a video of matt and pat playing some hunting game back during the height of the forum's elitism.

Makes me wonder how many of the channels that were made fun of back then went on to be hugely profitable when AFIAK no one from SA was ever able to make a live off of full time LPing

just because something is profitable, doesn't mean it's good

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

beep by grandpa posted:

When I found this thread, I was astonished there were threads about YT Lpers at all much less the ones I really liked. Back then the hard rule was "there was nothing of value to be found outside SA's hallowed gates, absolutely none".

Like Retsupurae was born due to a large amount of legitimately terrible LPs on Youtube from like 2008-2011, but there was definitely an element of "how DARE these outsiders do our thing."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

i was never really into sbf let's play stuff apart from really lovely games tbh

i was all in on friday night fisticuffs/saturday morning scrublords and the podcast