Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

BANNED USER posted:

Having played ground branch, Tarkov is still missing like half of its core features, which isn't good if the game is allegedly in "beta". I blame streamers for the lack of focus on finishing core gameplay before adding "content" like new weapons or locations. You have to appease your sapient advertisements and the company they keep.

I'm really not sure Ground Branch is the example to put up there of timely or high content development.

Not that I disagree that Tarkov is not in a great place for a game in beta for three(?) years now, though everyone knew it was a sham beta when they announced it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Almost positive it will never come out of beta and BSG will just move onto the next game, which Nikita has talked about before.

Anyway, today is some stupid Star Wars made-up day so you have a very high chance of spawning with a stormtrooper mask on your scav.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
How CPU dependent is tarkov? I have a ryzen 3600 and a 3080 playing at 1440p. It runs well for the most part but still dips sometimes. Would a ryzen 5900x be worth upgrading to or is it just a case of a poorly optimized game running on unity?

Orv
May 4, 2011

mysteryberto posted:

How CPU dependent is tarkov? I have a ryzen 3600 and a 3080 playing at 1440p. It runs well for the most part but still dips sometimes. Would a ryzen 5900x be worth upgrading to or is it just a case of a poorly optimized game running on unity?

Tarkov is one of the most random games in terms of rig performance I think I've ever seen so that upgrade could keep your frames steady or it could do nothing at all. It would be unlikely to be worse but it might just manage it.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

mysteryberto posted:

Supposedly it leans more on the cpu than gpu, but I play on a 4770 I7 and a 1070, and the game runs well enough. I'll take that 3600 when you upgrade...

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I was having absolutely nightmarish hitching in the game, mostly on reserve, but lowering the textures to medium / increasing page file to 16gb has totally smoothed it out. Got a ryzen 5 5600x myself. RTX 2060 for gpu.

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

mysteryberto posted:

Streamer Pestily upgraded from a 2080ti to a 3090 and saw a few frames of improvement.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Maybe I'm misremembering how it was back in like '17/18 but does anyone find themselves having trouble judging distances on reports? I'm getting better at it as I get back into playing more but I still have trouble and compared to what I feel like I used to be able to easily judge a fight or report between dorms and new gas now it can be anywhere in there or up in the hills above them and I can't tell for sure. Might just need more time to acclimate back to Tarkov's insane audio processing but it's annoying.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Orv posted:

Maybe I'm misremembering how it was back in like '17/18 but does anyone find themselves having trouble judging distances on reports? I'm getting better at it as I get back into playing more but I still have trouble and compared to what I feel like I used to be able to easily judge a fight or report between dorms and new gas now it can be anywhere in there or up in the hills above them and I can't tell for sure. Might just need more time to acclimate back to Tarkov's insane audio processing but it's annoying.

You're probably noticing the change back to steam audio it takes a while to get used to, I had the same experience when I got used to it last wipe and it was off until recently

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

I feel like that is subjective for everyone, but I find it helps if you always use the same type of earpro. The differences are small for some, vut the consistency definitely helped me at ranging sounds when I first started playing

Khorne
May 1, 2002

mysteryberto posted:

More cores isn't going to help. Going from 3600 -> 5600x or higher is probably 8%-15% fps. Hard to say without actual benchmarks.

I have a 5950x due to work, and my fps in tarkov varies from 70s to 144 (the cap I have atm) at 1440p. I have all low settings and a 2070s. It definitely still dips sometimes. Maybe it's lower at times but I don't stare at my fps.

South
Apr 9, 2001

I am the highest paid lifeguard in the world. Love me.
Speaking of twitch streamers, heres a pretty cool one who's currently doing a charity stream and was linked here months ago.

He's a quadriplegic gamer who plays using an xbox adaptive controller and an eye tracker. Dudes got better skills than me.

https://www.twitch.tv/jmaxjourneys

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004
I watched a streamer once and now I'm addicted to crack cocaine

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Tarkov is going on sale this weekend. 20% - 25% off all editions. I'm actually probably gonna go ahead and buy another copy of the game so I can have a regular account and a hardcore account.

https://twitter.com/bstategames/status/1390281260799516677

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I think I got killed by the stupidest looter in all of Tarkov...I died with a Slick, Exfil with all the doodads, and an RSASS, and this goofball only took the gun.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

It was me. I moved all your stuff into your bag, dropped my own, then ran off with no bag for the fiftieth time.

(Not actually but might as well have been)

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Cage Kicker posted:

I think I got killed by the stupidest looter in all of Tarkov...I died with a Slick, Exfil with all the doodads, and an RSASS, and this goofball only took the gun.

Whenever I get things back from insurance I just assume the person was killed by a scav and no one found their body after that.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

El Jebus posted:

Whenever I get things back from insurance I just assume the person was killed by a scav and no one found their body after that.

Or they got killed by yet another player, and your loot didn't make the cut among all of the loot that biggest fish was picking from

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Franks Happy Place posted:

Or they got killed by yet another player, and your loot didn't make the cut among all of the loot that biggest fish was picking from

Exactly. What you thought was your best gear didn’t even catch the nine-figure-looters’ eye.

You poor rear end scum.

Wipe when.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Franks Happy Place posted:

tokenbrownguy posted:

Exactly. What you thought was your best gear didn’t even catch the nine-figure-looters’ eye.

You poor rear end scum.

Wipe when.

Definitely a possibility. You can tell when the person who looted you died because you get your armored rig back with half your stuff in inside it.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is there any new news on 12.11, the engine update along with new wipe? I want to start playing again but it feels like it's better waiting until things get reset.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

tokenbrownguy posted:

You poor rear end scum.

Wipe when.

He must have already had a backpack full of slicks then I dunno.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I want to start building up a bank of Euros, anyone have suggestions on best items to sell? I think the rate is basically 151 roubles = 1 euro, so I should just convert whatever i'm trying to sell to that, right?

I don't us a ton of euros, already have the solar plant, I just want a bank of them incase sometime comes up. I'm guessing I could sell some ammo to start building up my euro bank, but what else could be good?

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
When I did it, I basically just sold anything on flea that has a reasonable turnover rate for euros. The flea exchange rate ~2 months ago seemed to be ~133 roubles = 1 euro, so I got a discount vs buying them outright.

Full disclosure: I haven't really been playing that much the last couple months, so I have zero idea what's hot on flea right now. At the time ammo isn't a great thing to sell here because of the low per item cost but most anything over 10k and that sells well should be if you want to go through the effort. I personally didn't really bother unless it was 50k+ - most of what I did was bolts, empty blue fuels, filters, intel, that kind of stuff. I never tried with anything worth more than ~500k, but the air filters were selling around that when I did it and they'd always sell.

I think once folks get solar (and for poors like me, stash4), there isn't really a whole lot people spend the euros on so they just buy it if it is anywhere close to the top of the list on flea and they don't really care if the math works out as a deal or not.

Edit: I also paid less in flea listing fees if doing it in euros, so it was a double win

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

The flea is around 130 roubles per euro. Ammo sells well at euro prices, as does ammo/mag boxes and the like. I've been selling anything less than 50k roubles for roubles, and anything more for euros.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I don't necessarily need them and could just buy some if I do, but I have been buying a ton of 50-round Glock mags to use with Vectors and am getting to the point where I could probably use more. I'll just start listing a few pricy, sought after items for Euros and see what happens.

My latest past time has been tracking down REAP-IR weapons as trophies. I love night maps, but you generally see them more on those maps so I go for silenced shots and see what happens. So far, the most used weapon for REAP-IRs is the SR-25, which I have a few of. I guess long-range weapons make sense, but boy do PMC's get reckless later on in a map when they feel that PMC's are all used up. Well, they are, but this scav boy sure can surprise you and take that REAP-IR from you.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Factory expansion: https://twitter.com/bstategames/status/1392511509486612485

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Anyone else been watching deadlys hardcore run? It’s been a ride

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

What do they mean “by yourself” is it going to be single player content or solo drop only?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Bucnasti posted:

What do they mean “by yourself” is it going to be single player content or solo drop only?
"You'll soon be able to experience Chemical Facntory No.16 yourself!" is the intention. This is an ESL/translation artifact thing.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Second set of shots in the thread in case anyone didn't click through.

https://twitter.com/bstategames/status/1392511800068001792

I'm curious as to how much it'll be expanded, large parts of those shots are just parts of factory already or look extremely similar. I doubt factory will become a woods style map where you can loot an entire backpack full of poo poo without seeing another player but it'd be interesting to see it be significantly larger.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Tabletops posted:

Anyone else been watching deadlys hardcore run? It’s been a ride

Him and Smoke are my favorite streamers for Tarkov. They are so chill.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
No plan for a wipe at the moment. From Nikita. He says no plan for wipe over next coming weeks or months, but he also said he can't tell us more.

So we could go without a wipe for a very long time or we could have one tomorrow. It's Nikita.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

ShowTime posted:

No plan for a wipe at the moment. From Nikita. He says no plan for wipe over next coming weeks or months, but he also said he can't tell us more.

So we could go without a wipe for a very long time or we could have one tomorrow. It's Nikita.

I mean that's pretty par for the course, the last several wipes have been right around 200 days and we're currently at ~140 or so, another couple of months would be exactly what you'd anticipate

I know people want an early wipe because of the hosed economy, but it's not like it'd make them any faster on the new content (maps especially), and I feel like people tend to forget that they typically do mini-patches to add some new gear and revitalize the player base a bit

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is there any news on the upcoming inertia system? It's kind of dumb how CHADDED out players move like ninjas - it's like I'm almost playing Unreal Tournament.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Orv posted:

I'm curious as to how much it'll be expanded, large parts of those shots are just parts of factory already or look extremely similar. I doubt factory will become a woods style map where you can loot an entire backpack full of poo poo without seeing another player but it'd be interesting to see it be significantly larger.

Per the podcast interview Nikita just did it's about twice as large as it used to be

apparently new boss will have a huge sledgehammer and a saiga shotgun

other patch things:

content will be locked sometime this month, with a two week testing period and release in June

optics revision

apparently we're also getting some new systems that may be fun/disastrous:
-the first iteration of the scav karma system and ability to level fence - apparently level 2 fence lets you purchase unclaimed insurance items lol
-weapons jams/malfunctions (probably accompanied by scav guns often having lowered durability and corresponding reliability)

inertia/new unity engine/voip not in yet

DLSS is apparently coming "soon" but won't be next patch

they may start doing some community event things (like free labs weekends)

LGD fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 14, 2021

Orv
May 4, 2011
Having karma in without VOIP seems like it's gonna be a real bad time and especially if they implement that whole "You have to walk up to someone to initiate VOIP". We'll see.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Huh? That's part of being a scav. The change is probably going to be as simple as expanding out the aggressive scav AI for initial pscav on pscav. Encourage not just blasting any pkayers.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Huh? That's part of being a scav. The change is probably going to be as simple as expanding out the aggressive scav AI for initial pscav on pscav. Encourage not just blasting any pkayers.

The stated intent of the karma system, unless Nikita talked about it more today, is that scav karma;

- Gives better scav loadouts with high karma
- Give access to stuff from a revamped Fence, better stuff with higher karma
- Causes much more frequent weapon jams with bad karma

Scavs are supposedly getting an objective system for every run, one of which includes defending a scav boss if it spawns (though how that's going to work with the super late scav spawns on some maps I dunno) and ignoring objectives or letting the scav boss die decreases karma, or visa versa. And killing other scavs, of course.

I think karma has the potential to make the game actually really interesting, but it also has the potential to kill it.

E: Also 11 question Q&A over on the forums.

Orv fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

LGD posted:

optics revision

Are they going to finally align red dots with actual weapons now? This has been delayed forever.

LGD posted:

inertia/new unity engine/voip not in yet

Ugh. This one of the biggest things the game needs.