Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I think they fixed most of that nonsense. I'm afraid now it's just very boring and predictable. You really had to play it at release to fully appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe
^^ Yes, current Andromeda animations are just... not great. The Launch animations were a whole other level of bad.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Once you "get" Vanguard the whole game changes. It plays nothing like the others.
I think the only thing I found anything like it (in that it played differently than everything else, not that it ping-pongs around like a vanguard) was when I unlocked the Geth Juggernaut in MP and figured out how to melee tank with it. After spending so much time hiding from Banshees, suddenly being able to facetank them was really fun.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The ME2 Sentinel, not so much the 3, has its own playstyle too, in that you barely need to use cover and just become an unstoppable titan of destruction. They really worked to find alternatives to a cover shooter.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Andromeda has a pretty decent first 5 hours, but quickly squanders it’s potential once the game opens up its galaxy map. Once it starts to lose the whole “you’re trubofucked” feeling to things, a lot of the charm evaporates.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The final mission is good too. Not so much the dumb fight with the slave architect, but everything up to it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The final mission is good too. Not so much the dumb fight with the slave architect, but everything up to it.

Yeah, Title Screen to Aya is really good, and Meridian is really good. Shame about basically everything in between.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I’m not sure what’s supposed to be especially bad about the first few hours of Andromeda compared to the open world tedium that is the next 20-40. I guess it depends on whether you hate that more or the lesser but typical video game writing.

Also the main line and companion stuff for DA Inquisition is fine, good to great even. The tertiary stuff isn’t a lot of the time though and I’m not even talking about that timer war board thing. A lot of it is just reading a text file and getting a point on the map to go to to do a fight and then read another text file.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
If you want a sci-fi flavored single player open world game to tool around and shoot stuff in, andromeda is completely serviceable, don't let the haters put you off.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I was happy with Andromeda because I picked up the super special edition for under $5.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
The main hurdle of the opening hours of Andromeda is it was the first Mass Effect game in a while where there's no save import, and no "we'll just start your character at level 20 so you can pick up close to where you left off" bonus those came with.

Meaning you're stuck starting with a Level 1 character with only 1-2 powers and Level 1 junk guns for a while. It makes narrative sense but doesn't really hit you with satisfying feeling action for a while. And the early-release preview of the game people got their first impressions from only contained that part!

g0del posted:

I think the only thing I found anything like it (in that it played differently than everything else, not that it ping-pongs around like a vanguard) was when I unlocked the Geth Juggernaut in MP and figured out how to melee tank with it. After spending so much time hiding from Banshees, suddenly being able to facetank them was really fun.

As well as being a nigh unkillable damage sponge a full tank spec Juggernaut can also function as a pseudo-healer, with low cooldowns you can just throw turrets at your teammates constantly to give them shield boosts. I run it specced that way and usually with Cryo ammo to slow/freeze things, it's a treat.

It's actually very satisfying to have multiple Banshees and Brutes futilely mashing against you as your team safely shoots them from a distance.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Unormal posted:

If you want a sci-fi flavored single player open world game to tool around and shoot stuff in, andromeda is completely serviceable, don't let the haters put you off.

That's all I'm really expecting. The jump jets are a nice addition, makes movement a lot more interesting.

e:

Seemlar posted:

Meaning you're stuck starting with a Level 1 character with only 1-2 powers and Level 1 junk guns for a while. It makes narrative sense but doesn't really hit you with satisfying feeling action for a while. And the early-release preview of the game people got their first impressions from only contained that part!

Yeah, it's a little frustrating going from Level 60 Biotic God with a massive arsenal, to plinking things with a basic-rear end rifle and occasionally hitting guys with Throw. I know that's like every RPG sequel ever, I assume you get back to a cool set of powers eventually.

Wingnut Ninja fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 11, 2021

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, Title Screen to Aya is really good, and Meridian is really good. Shame about basically everything in between.

When I played it I did all of the viability unlock poo poo first. So I got a mission to go back to the first planet where the game spoiled the ending for me and told me about poo poo I hadn't done yet as though I'd already done it.

Seemlar posted:

The main hurdle of the opening hours of Andromeda is it was the first Mass Effect game in a while where there's no save import, and no "we'll just start your character at level 20 so you can pick up close to where you left off" bonus those came with.

The main hurdle with the opening hours of Andromeda is that it's boring and stupid and everyone sucks especially the person you're going to play for the next 60+ hours.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It’s easy to forget about but for Andromeda don’t forget you can create I think it’s 4 sets of 3 skills/powers. You can swap between the sets freely in combat. It’s more awkward than just having the wheel with all your powers on it from previous games but it does let you have the something like the anti armor set, the anti shield set, the anti robot set, and so on.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Muscle memory is a real fucker when starting Andromeda.

"Oh no, a firefight, let just me pop into cover by hitting space bar!"

*jets 20 feet into the air*

*is shot a bunch*

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
The most horrifying thing is when you instinctively try to reload cancel

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Andromeda gave me one genuine laugh

This is the "please don't hate the staff-level devs" insert, and you know what, that's fair

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

I’m not sure what’s supposed to be especially bad about the first few hours of Andromeda compared to the open world tedium that is the next 20-40. I guess it depends on whether you hate that more or the lesser but typical video game writing.

The storytelling premise of the first few hours of Andromeda is really great: every promise the Andromeda Initiative corporate heads sold everyone one was at best a wild miscalculation and at worst an outright lie, all the people you would have had to rely on as experts are now either dead or incapacitated, you're in a region of space that's literally dangerous to even try navigating, the center of your expedition had a civil war two years before you arrived and is now fighting itself all across the star cluster, resources are scarce to none, there's no way home, and every possible contingency plan is impossible to execute, so you need to dig until you hit daylight. And then you hit daylight like a couple hours of gameplay later. Welp :toot:

They also should have included the Reaper reveal that comes at the end of the game-spanning sidequest right up front. It would have been a nice little character piece to see how people react to the knowledge that as far as they know they are possibly the last surviving members of their respective races and there's no way to know for certain that doesn't involve hopping back on an Ark, going back into cryo and making the 600 year return trip back to Earth/Thessia/Palavan/Sur Kesh/The Citadel/ect. Instead of just letting the playable Ryder sibling find out and then undersell the revelation like hell.

The game runs out of steam really quickly once you realize it oversold you on the "You're hosed" premise and instead turns into More Mass Effect by way the BioWare D-Team.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 07:23 on May 11, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Andromeda's premise was fraught from the beginning: A side story in another galaxy that by definition could not include anything from the original trilogy besides the memes, boring open world combat that did not play to any of the dramatic and well-designed set pieces the series was known for, lame squad of OC do not steal retreads of the first game's cast. Bad bad bad.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Drack is cool, he can stay. Admittedly maybe just because he’s kind of just an older Wrex.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Drack, Jaal, and maybe Peebee just because while she gets annoying in places she at least actually has a personality compared to the remainders.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i remember the turian being tolerable (so tolerable i can remember all of that she's a turian and female)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i'd say its worth that just to experience the s-tier :wtc: train wreck of the first three or four hours, which can't really be adequately described

(make sure to make your twin look as ridiculous as possible for added comedy)
There was supposed to be a trainwreck in the first three or four hours? Am i playing the same andromeda everyone else is? It's just a normal video game dude

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Might be wrong but I think some of the complaints about the beginning are that everything feels hollow and has no life. Feels like someone winging someone else's PowerPoint presentation.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It feels like a teen drama set in space and almost every character is a teenager. If you think of the characters as a bunch of kids suddenly they don't seem so badly written. Mass Effect: The Academy Years and there's like a whoopsie or something in the quantum field generator and the class got launched into Andromeda, now they have to fend for themselves against the evil... Grorgs? What the hell were the bad guys called? The Keth?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Bought Andromeda on Steam because gently caress it, for the price of a chicken sandwich I'm sure I'll get at least my money's worth.

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!
The only classes I've never played in Mass Effect are sentinel and engineer. In your experiences which one is more fun for a full series playthrough?

Obviously, vanguard us the most fun class, and I'm mostly just using deep concentration to stop myself from picking it again.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
I wonder if you can still bring back Mordin and Samara from the dead in the legendary edition of 2. Basically if you progress Mordin's quest to the getting a ride in a truck from the chief scout on Tuchanka and progress Samara's quest to talking to the bouncer for the VIP section of Afterlife then you kill them on the Suicide Mission you can come back in the post game and complete the side quests, Mordin even comes back on the ship. And if you kill Miranda on the Suicide Mission and then do Jacob's quest she will appear in a cut scene at the end.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
there's a Reaper in Andromeda?

lol i don't even remember that part

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, can you elaborate? The main story is easily googled but I've never heard that one.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
There's no reaper in Andromeda, they mean the little audio log you get access to near the end of the game when the Ark ship picks up (I haven't heard it in ages so this might be wrong) messages from the Galaxy getting culled by the Reapers. Also the dad character knew it was going to happen the whole time. I don't think anyone but Ryder gets to know what actually happened to the Galaxy and even they don't get to know that the Reapers are actually defeated, so yay depressing.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I'm also lowkey like mega side-eye @ everyone saying that Andromeda is better than Inquisition

like, I mean yeah Inquisition is a million hours long and whatever but it has likeable bros and sisters and pretty cool class powers and decent loot and big HELL YEAH setpiece moments and...

drat it no I am not gonna reinstall aaaaaaaaaaa

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

SoldadoDeTone posted:

The only classes I've never played in Mass Effect are sentinel and engineer. In your experiences which one is more fun for a full series playthrough?

Obviously, vanguard us the most fun class, and I'm mostly just using deep concentration to stop myself from picking it again.

Obviously it shifts between 1 and 2 so take these with a bit of a grain of salt and I've never completed a whole trilogy run with either so take this with even more salt -

Engineer:
ME1 - you have a lot of tools at your disposal to lock down enemies with your powers + the unlocking and mako power up skills which is always useful to have. You only get pistols and light armor though so your combat focus is generally on your powers
ME2 and 3 - While a lot of their lockdown powers are gone as well as mako/unlocking skills, you do have powers that remove pretty much every protection enemies have which again means you can deal with whatever the game throws at you. You also get your own VI drone you can send out to gently caress people up which is super cool.

We have a resident Engineer-evangelist in the thread who will pop up and write you 20 page document about the One True Church of Engineer so just wait for that

Sentinel:
ME1 - You're an adept and an engineer but not as good. You're missing singularity (ouch) and a few good engi skills, but mostly hacking (also ouch due to the fact that most enemies are Geth). But you do have the electronics and decryption skills which are probably the most important. You have no weapon skills and no armor/defensive skills other than barrier - you will get your rear end kicked if you get too aggressive but you have a wide variety of talents which also means you and Engineer share a sort of "jack of all trades" roles
ME2 and 3 - You've got tech armor as a special skill which means you're a hulking tank who barely needs cover! Neat right? Well your weapons are garbage until the Collector ship so not really. You have warp and overload which means you laugh at any special defenses an enemy has. I played ME3 insanity as a Sentinel and I remember having a lot of fun due to being able to actually pick whatever weapons I wanted rather than in 2 being stuck with the SMG + pistol

Actually both of them are SMG + Pistol in 2 so they're both kinda boring in that sense.

So yeah, they're both fairly similar in that they're typically more 'support' than the more aggressive classes (at least until 3) and they have a wide variety of tools in their toolbox rather than just adjusting their monocle between charges, running away again to snipe more people in the head from the other side of the map, popping slow-mo again to shoot people more good like, or throwing around magic powers like a fuckin' wizard.

I've beaten ME1 10~ times and I'm not sure I'd recommend a sentinel (I plan on doing Adept -> Sentinel -> Sentinel in my Insanity runthrough when the LE releases) as I don't think what they get for what they're giving up from their two parent classes is really worth it. In 2 and 3 the Tech Armor is very cool and on lower difficulties means you pretty much don't ever need to take cover which is a neat playstyle change.

That's just my 2 credits. Hope it helps.

DourCricket fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 11, 2021

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

The storytelling premise of the first few hours of Andromeda is really great: every promise the Andromeda Initiative corporate heads sold everyone one was at best a wild miscalculation and at worst an outright lie, all the people you would have had to rely on as experts are now either dead or incapacitated, you're in a region of space that's literally dangerous to even try navigating, the center of your expedition had a civil war two years before you arrived and is now fighting itself all across the star cluster, resources are scarce to none, there's no way home, and every possible contingency plan is impossible to execute, so you need to dig until you hit daylight. And then you hit daylight like a couple hours of gameplay later. Welp :toot:

They also should have included the Reaper reveal that comes at the end of the game-spanning sidequest right up front. It would have been a nice little character piece to see how people react to the knowledge that as far as they know they are possibly the last surviving members of their respective races and there's no way to know for certain that doesn't involve hopping back on an Ark, going back into cryo and making the 600 year return trip back to Earth/Thessia/Palavan/Sur Kesh/The Citadel/ect. Instead of just letting the playable Ryder sibling find out and then undersell the revelation like hell.

The game runs out of steam really quickly once you realize it oversold you on the "You're hosed" premise and instead turns into More Mass Effect by way the BioWare D-Team.

I mean all of this is true but one of the first characters you run into is like "oh we just gave up searching after a year" because hey I mean it's not like your survival literally depends on it or anything

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Engineer is by a wide margin the least played class so you know it's awesome

I think the number was like 5% of people picked Engineer

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Drak is good because he’s kind of the anti-Wrex, where on the surface he’s going to seem similar but there’s enough differences to make him stand out on his own.

I also like Andromeda’s quest of “do you kill the space whales or not?”

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Simone Magus posted:

Engineer is by a wide margin the least played class so you know it's awesome

I think the number was like 5% of people picked Engineer

I liked that the Omega DLC had specific engineer only options. I wish more of the game had little things like that to reflect your class background. I did an engineer playthrough last fall and I found that in one it was a kinda boring control class but by 3 you're a crazy space wizard and I could go through some missions without ever shooting.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Engineer really hits its stride in 3, full-on space wizard flinging fireballs, ice blasts, summoning minions, mind controlling robots. It's a loving blast. I think Sentinel wins on flexibility in the first two games, but in 3 Engineer just gets all of the toys.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SoldadoDeTone posted:

Engineer changes pretty drastically throughout the series, so it's a little hard to say.

ME1: Engineers are masters of the debuff. You have overload, pistols, and then a bunch of powers to make enemies stop shooting/stop shooting as much. Now, pistols are incredible weapons in ME1, so that's no issue, but most of the engineer's kit in this game is about making it easier for your squad to kill the enemy rather than killing the enemy yourself, and engineer powers in this game have a bad record of being situational (hacking doesn't affect organics, dampening does nothing if the enemy doesn't have powers, sabotage is irrelevant to melee enemies, overload has no effect on enemies without shields).

ME2: Engineers pick up the drone and their powers become more broadly applicable. Overload is a great tool for stripping shields and barriers, and sabotage is terrific against everything but husks and friends. Pistols aren't as good in ME2, and your powers aren't as good as they'll become in ME3, so you'll need to find a way to cope (DLC weapons which will come as part of Legendary will do the trick). Probably the most awkward game to be an engineer.

ME3: You are an unstoppable space wizard with a tool for every occasion and a counter for every trick. Every power you have is good, and you have a power for every enemy and every situation. Your gun is irrelevant, get 200% recharge speed and burn, electrocute, freeze, hack, and poison everything. You have a drone and turret to distract enemies (launch them behind Guardians!), and the turret does respectable dps to boot. You also get unique dialogue in Omega and Citadel, according to Bioware specifically because engineer was the least played class in the series.

I rave about Engineer, but truth be told that's mainly in ME3. The class struggles to find an identity and role in the first two games, particularly ME2.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
I've gone through all the Soldier variants, so wanted to go for an Adept. How do they play? Can I do a bit of attacking or should I remain more in the back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Baron von der Loon posted:

I've gone through all the Soldier variants, so wanted to go for an Adept. How do they play? Can I do a bit of attacking or should I remain more in the back?

Amazingly OP in ME1

Nerfed to the ground in ME2 (still cool you can make black holes but stick to easy difficulties)

Back to Amazing in ME3.

In 1 and 3 as Cythereal said about Engineer - you're a space wizard throwing powers around willy-nilly like a god who barely even uses their weapon to flatten your enemies. In 2 all of your powers share a cooldown (lame) and enemies have defensive layers that make your abilities next to useless. They're not BAD in 2, they just aren't great. Superb in 1/3 though.