Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I did like seeing naval infantry Han getting blasted through mud-hell instead of HOT SHOT FIGHTER CADET WOOOOOO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The comics decided that he was a hot shot fighter cadet, but he got kicked out of the navy for being too concerned about the survival of his squadron and broke a TIE saving someone... because the Empire is stupid as well as evil. Also that's how it works. You get kicked out of the navy and you automatically end up in the army.

teagone posted:

Pretty sure this was me because when Carano started going off the rails with her stupid rear end chud bullshit, I remember feeling so defeated lol.
If I am remembering it right it was almost a milkshake duck thing when the thread pointed to the transpobia that had gone unnoticed before she went full chud.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

Just caught up, glad to see someone finally found a use for the block chain

Palps grinds planets full of kyber crystals to get more energy for minting NFTs, Thrawn throws his hands in despair

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Sash! posted:

I did like seeing naval infantry Han getting blasted through mud-hell instead of HOT SHOT FIGHTER CADET WOOOOOO
I really like the deleted scene of his demotion to infantry, but it does bring up questions like "how could he have been able to look at the door to pilot training, let alone fly if he acts/is so dumb around superiors".

Edit: although now that I think of it and The Bad Batch's first episode, there's a good story/commentary on US corporations and false economy just waiting to be written. For example, is training conscripts really cheaper than paying for trained clones?

Cheesus fucked around with this message at 12:30 on May 11, 2021

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Almost certainly, you don't have to spend ten years of accelerated growth in a high tech facility, you just hang out a shingle on an impoverished planet and pick the 19 year olds who show up.

I've seen a suggestion that the structure of the imperial military is more about providing jobs than it is about military effectiveness. Getting poorer humans to enlist makes it less likely that their families will oppose the Empire and keeps a lot of young people busy and not joining pirates or rebels. The Empire could produce smaller numbers of superior fighters instead of TIEs, or make armor that could actually protect troopers, but spending more resources on individual recruits would mean fewer humans brought into the military complex.

Essentially, the response to the separatist crisis is a new policy for the outer rim: Repression and slavery for non-humans and military industrial complex Keynesianism for the humans.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
We even kinda see it in Season 3 of Rebels. The nice farmers we saw get evicted off their farms in season 1? Well now they are working at the Imperial Factory cause there are no other jobs. Albeit they are also there to sabotage it, but everyone else there was there for the paycheck

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
IIRC, part of the economic drain of the Grand Army of the Republic is that lots of their materiel and equipment is also sold as part of the package, by the Kaminoans. Conscription and the pseudo-nationalization of crony corporations like Sienar allows the Empire to box out Kamino entirely, which Lama Su may be anticipating based on the end of the pilot episode?

I dunno if it's ever said outright in the text, but one could argue that a major (implicit?) goal of the clone wars was for Palpatine to incur all this financial rigor and bad PR on the major alien-owned economic entities, wipe them out, then replace them with the Imperial state apparatus.

I quite liked Omega's reaction to landing on Salecumi and getting to put her hands into a planet, for the first time in her life. It feels to me like a refutation of the cynical missteps of the PT, which fits entirely into Filoni's creative philosophy since TCW. Omega, like Anakin Skywalker, comes from a single-biome world where she felt trapped and a yearning to escape. But unlike Anakin, she doesn't "hate rain" like someone would "hate sand"; rather, she "loves dirt", because dirt is novel and interesting. She focuses on the new experience and how the scope of the galaxy can contain wonder and beauty for someone who has seen only one corner of it, rather than anchoring her mindset in what she hated about her own upbringing.

tin can made man fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 11, 2021

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

tin can made man posted:

I dunno if it's ever said outright in the text, but one could argue that a major (implicit?) goal of the clone wars was for Palpatine to incur all this financial rigor and bad PR on the major alien-owned economic entities, wipe them out, then replace them with the Imperial state apparatus.

Oh, it’s the banking clan arc, except instead of nationalizing (galaxy-izing?) the whole thing it’ll be bankruptcy/genocide for the companies and aliens involved.

“Clones as an extension of Jedi treachery” could be a fun angle too, since they were created at the order of Dooku impersonating Sifo Dyas a Jedi council member.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Servetus posted:

I've seen a suggestion that the structure of the imperial military is more about providing jobs than it is about military effectiveness. Getting poorer humans to enlist makes it less likely that their families will oppose the Empire and keeps a lot of young people busy and not joining pirates or rebels. The Empire could produce smaller numbers of superior fighters instead of TIEs, or make armor that could actually protect troopers, but spending more resources on individual recruits would mean fewer humans brought into the military complex.

Essentially, the response to the separatist crisis is a new policy for the outer rim: Repression and slavery for non-humans and military industrial complex Keynesianism for the humans.

The Imperial military also doesn't have a near-peer opponent for a couple of decades. There are some rationalizations that could be made for the conversion of the Republic-era equipment, intended for a slugging match on conventional battlefields, to the Imperial systems designed to squash poorly-equipped insurgents.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Angey Staff Officer on Twitter posted a blog about it at one point a few years back drawing parallels between the Clonetrooper to Stormtrooper conversion and the US military invading Iraq as if it was the USSR and then having to transition to policing duties. It's an interesting thing to examine through the sci-fi lens.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
Yeah, I don't know if they still call it "The Tarkin Doctrine", especially since he's being given these spotlights in TCW6/Rebels/TBB, but it's explicitly his contributions to the Imperial transition which causes the Empire to focus on the practical and psychological use of war assets for domestic oppression and police actions, as opposed to combat against a symmetrical force

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Marsupial Ape posted:

I always thought it was lovely that Rey didn’t get Han’s DL-44 blaster. It was an iconic item and would have been a bridge between the generations.

People were already pissed she got Anakins/Lukes lightsaber. They would have been absolutely seething if she also had Hans gun.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

AndyElusive posted:

People were already pissed she got Anakins/Lukes lightsaber. They would have been absolutely seething if she also had Hans gun.

That's an extremely weird thing because that really seems like the inevitable logical consequence of being trained by Luke and then Luke dying, unless they gave her the plot of that episode in season 1 of Rebels

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

AndyElusive posted:

Let's see what Rey picked up over the course of the ST

Luke's lightsaber
Han's ship and pet dog
Leia's...uh... Jedi training...?
Poe's droid
Finn's plot relevance
Kylo's redemption
Palpatine's spirit

...did she take anything from Lando, or does that fit into the Millennium Falcon since that was originally Lando's ship

I am honestly surprised they haven't put Rey into PT/OT-era plotlines through use of time travel (aside from the Lego Holiday Special, of course, which now means there's precedent for it to happen...)

I'd honestly be intrigued by Rey and Ahsoka interacting

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

AndyElusive posted:

I just wish it had been passed on to somebody. Han’s blaster and his gun belt were visually iconic.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Marsupial Ape posted:

I just wish it had been passed on to somebody. Han’s blaster and his gun belt were visually iconic.

"They'll pry my weapon from my cold dead hands" - Han, at some point, probably

Joke's on them, he threw himself into a star so they could never take it from him

*sighs*

They're gonna find a way for someone to recover it, aren't they

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Vinylshadow posted:

"They'll pry my weapon from my cold dead hands" - Han, at some point, probably

Joke's on them, he threw himself into a star so they could never take it from him

*sighs*

Well his hands are certainly not cold...

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Vinylshadow posted:

That's the plot of the Johnson trilogy

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

I am honestly surprised they haven't put Rey into PT/OT-era plotlines through use of time travel (aside from the Lego Holiday Special, of course, which now means there's precedent for it to happen...)

I'd honestly be intrigued by Rey and Ahsoka interacting
She’s gonna pop out of the World Between Worlds in Kenobi, only to realize it’s the wrong “Ben”.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Urdnot Fire posted:

She’s gonna pop out of the World Between Worlds in Kenobi, only to realize it’s the wrong “Ben”.

:hmmyes: Papa-Wan Kenobi, continuing the trend of adopting a child and taking care of it

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

AndyElusive posted:

Ahem. it's the youngling slayer 3000.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Spookydonut posted:

Ahem. it's the youngling slayer 3000.

On Hit: Slay (Younglings)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

tin can made man posted:

Yeah, I don't know if they still call it "The Tarkin Doctrine", especially since he's being given these spotlights in TCW6/Rebels/TBB, but it's explicitly his contributions to the Imperial transition which causes the Empire to focus on the practical and psychological use of war assets for domestic oppression and police actions, as opposed to combat against a symmetrical force

It's still there. The Empire purely rules with terror. There is no reason to go along with them other than if you don't, you'll die, your family will die, everyone in your village or block will die. Its even worse because most fascist and totalitarian states have a nebulous other to free that justifies their oppression and violence against its own people. People join the Empire because its basically the only choice they get, better to be the boot than the face its stomping on. Plus we've seen in Rebels that Imperial Propaganda is pretty effective, that by controlling all sources of information, it can make outrageous lies and the average person can't see though it because they don't have any frame of reference. Unless you were at the top of the Republic Goverment like the PT characters were, you can buy that the Clone Wars were some Jedi coup, and they had to be destroyed.

This is why Tarkin preferred the Death Star over the TIE Defender, it fit exactly into his plan of "making everyone in the galaxy poo poo themselves in fear constantly" to maintain control. The TIE-D was more effective in actual warfare, probably a hell of a lot cheaper and easier to build, but Tarkin is like Hitler, thinks this one weapon will win the war and secure their future for eternity.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

tin can made man posted:

I quite liked Omega's reaction to landing on Salecumi and getting to put her hands into a planet, for the first time in her life. It feels to me like a refutation of the cynical missteps of the PT, which fits entirely into Filoni's creative philosophy since TCW. Omega, like Anakin Skywalker, comes from a single-biome world where she felt trapped and a yearning to escape. But unlike Anakin, she doesn't "hate rain" like someone would "hate sand"; rather, she "loves dirt", because dirt is novel and interesting. She focuses on the new experience and how the scope of the galaxy can contain wonder and beauty for someone who has seen only one corner of it, rather than anchoring her mindset in what she hated about her own upbringing.

There was always anger in that boy. There's no anger in Omega.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
As a general FYI. Star Wars Celebration is changing its date again next year... and moving earlier!

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-celebration-anaheim-2022-dates-changing

Will now be held in May, rather than August.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Doronin posted:

There was always anger in that boy. There's no anger in Omega.

Well, yeah. He grew up a slave and lost his mother because the Jedi couldn't be arsed to free her. He should be angry. He just shouldn't have let that anger define and consume him. Omega didn't exactly have a mother and seems to have been reasonably well-treated so she apparently has less issues.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Urdnot Fire posted:

She's gonna pop up like the Flash in B v. S right before the 2nd Kenobi/Maul duel goes down allowing Maul to escape, therefore giving them the ability to bring Maul back for a 3rd time.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Dingleberry2 posted:

She's gonna pop up like the Flash in B v. S right before the 2nd Kenobi/Maul duel goes down allowing Maul to escape, therefore giving them the ability to bring Maul back for a 3rd time.

Except that Maul won't try to escape and will instead attempt to use Rey's distraction to kill Kenobi. Except that Kenobi is pretty much a Jedi Master, so he really doesn't do distraction. He still kills Maul, then turns to Rey and says, "Really, dear, I'd hoped future Jedi would show a bit more discipline about using the World Between Worlds. You have holocrons and written histories. You don't have to see every single event with your own eyes. Now toddle off. I've got quite a bit of crazy hermiting to do for this next bit."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I guess I wasn't wrong about Crosshair being the first Death Trooper.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
That b plot went way darker than I thought this show would ever go, good lord.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Pops Mgee posted:

That b plot went way darker than I thought this show would ever go, good lord.

“Finish the mission.” followed by that close-up of the helmets and the sound of the blasters and flame-thrower going off was really something. I am all for Crosshair’s incredibly dark and conflicted storyline so far.

This show continues to be way better than I ever expected.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea each episode has been real strong so far.

Something I think happened in the legends books about this era that I'm kind of anticipating in the show, so i'll spoiler it, is that the Empire basically purges Kamino and leaves it utterly ruined.

I'm a bit surprised that the guy running the Death Trooper program wasn't Krinneck.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Kind of funny to me that essentially the first Storm Troopers are getting trained by an expert marksman

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Gonk Status: Still Gonkin’

Also, while I don’t think the timeline works for this, I briefly thought that the female trooper, who I don’t think had any lines, was Iden Versio from Battlefront II.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

fartknocker posted:

Gonk Status: Still Gonkin’

Also, while I don’t think the timeline works for this, I briefly thought that the female trooper, who I don’t think had any lines, was Iden Versio from Battlefront II.

Yeah I think the timeline is a little off and I also believe that Versio is Hispanic.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Anita Dickinme posted:

Yeah I think the timeline is a little off and I also believe that Versio is Hispanic.

Janina Gavankar isn’t Hispanic, her parents are from India.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

About that program name... My ears perked up at War Mantle being used, because it’s one of the project programs Jyn reads off on Scariff.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Teek posted:

About that program name... My ears perked up at War Mantle being used, because it’s one of the project programs Jyn reads off on Scariff.

Yeah, I caught that too. I think a few books in the new canon have made similar references.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Echo has a minigun painted on the thigh of his armor with the aurabesh writing "for hevy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

fartknocker posted:

Yeah, I caught that too. I think a few books in the new canon have made similar references.

I like it because it more or less completely changes the meaning of what I thought it was alluding to, and still makes perfect sense. I thought War Mantle was some superweapon that attacked a planets mantle, like a World Devestator or something. Instead it's about the mantle of war being passed from the clones to conscripts.