Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Do ya'll like watching birds?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml7bK1jg69I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

all this vtuber talk and nobody has mentioned deep web underground yet smh

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Artemis and Mocca real good from that list.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dawgstar posted:

The trick was of course most of the good 90's cartoons also had toys (Gargoyles, Batman, etc) they were just... also good.

true. i mean 40k is based on tabletop pieces but they have genuinely fantastic books and some good games and poo poo.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Hbomb's Vaccines video is up on Patreon and it is incredible. It's mostly about the history of Andrew Wakefield's paper—which is insane, but it's also maybe the funniest video he's ever done.

Hareton Splimby posted:

Now, the clever clogs among you will know that there was an anti-vaccine movement of sorts in the 1800s when they were first introduced, but that movement died out on its own a long time ago. Of smallpox.

Edit: there's even an Aristocats! bit... only it's not a bit. gently caress some of this stuff is dark.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 11, 2021

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
Vtubers are good although we're on the verge of the inevitable reactionary Vtubers becoming a thing with rantsonas wobbling around in a screen corner.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Vtubers are basically just hired actresses, right?

Seeing everyone personalize them and get all highly specific with references to them, it's still a corporate owned mascot they could just retire the second the person doing the voice became a problem or wanted more money.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

pentyne posted:

Seeing everyone personalize them and get all highly specific with references to them, it's still a corporate owned mascot they could just retire the second the person doing the voice became a problem or wanted more money.
Hasn't that already happened?

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Hasn't that already happened?

Two streamers of Hololive mentioned Taiwan when looking up the demographs of their viewers on stream and they got a lot of threats from Chinese users. This lead to the termination of the Chinese division of Hololive. It was really ugly.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

pentyne posted:

There are plenty of independent vtubers that don't have any sort of corporate backing. Also, while yeah theoretically any of the ones that belong to an agency could be forced out from their current character, there is basically 0 chance that someone else would be hired to continue playing the character, given the massive backlash to when Active8 did that to Kizuna Ai.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Two streamers of Hololive mentioned Taiwan when looking up the demographs of their viewers on stream and they got a lot of threats from Chinese users. This lead to the termination of the Chinese division of Hololive. It was really ugly.

Admittedly that was basically them deciding not to give the two who mentioned Taiwan's heads to the wumao mob. So like in terms of corporate decisions I kind of respect deciding to cut off China to protect the rest of their business instead of bending over like most businesses. Sucks for the Chinese branch but the alternative was canning Haato and Coco for mentioning Taiwan.

Or technically Haato for mentioning Taiwan just reading her sub numbers and not thinking and then Coco deliberately mentioning it in solidarity with Haato. Which like drat. Gotta respect Coco for that.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

IIRC they didn't even say it, the word was just on screen because that's how YouTube presents its stats.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Those that belong to an organisation like Hololive could indeed be disappeared at a moment's notice for any reason, but a good number of them got that job specifically because they were streamers or even vtubers beforehand. They might lose the ability to play that specific character they're known for, but like regular streamers most people are watching them for their personal brand of entertainment, not just because they're a cartoon dog they want to gently caress. If they continued streaming of any kind after leaving there's a non-zero number of people who would be instantly on reddit sharing links to it.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

it's honestly a weird situation where the companies tend to own the characters, but the fans are more than willing to stop supporting a character if they try to introduce a new "actress'" and have been willing to follow an actress to a new company/persona.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

edit never mind :cripes:

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 07:59 on May 11, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Maybe find an account reporting on this that hasn't retweeted Nick Fuentes and a bunch of other hardcore white supremecists? Just a thought. Also who gives a gently caress?

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 11, 2021

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

I'm not sure that I can support them just outing a major witness like that before the trial is over.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

nine-gear crow posted:

Maybe find an account reporting on this that hasn't retweeted Nick Fuentes and a bunch of other hardcore white supremecists? Just a thought. Also who gives a gently caress?

:cripes: sorry! I didn't bother looking at that accounts other tweets and that's what I get for it

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

A Sometimes Food posted:

Admittedly that was basically them deciding not to give the two who mentioned Taiwan's heads to the wumao mob. So like in terms of corporate decisions I kind of respect deciding to cut off China to protect the rest of their business instead of bending over like most businesses. Sucks for the Chinese branch but the alternative was canning Haato and Coco for mentioning Taiwan.

Or technically Haato for mentioning Taiwan just reading her sub numbers and not thinking and then Coco deliberately mentioning it in solidarity with Haato. Which like drat. Gotta respect Coco for that.

Early reporting went with that Coco interpretation and American Keyboard Warriors kept the narrative of it going but Coco has come out to say that it wasn't deliberate on her part, just FYI.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

One of Pikamee's friends, Jitomi Monoe, got retired for a breach of contract in like February and I don't know if they ever elaborated on what happened.

But also, no one has been brought in to replace her. So it's still less cursed than the third Fantastic Beasts movie.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

pentyne posted:

yes

Ghostlight posted:

Those that belong to an organisation like Hololive could indeed be disappeared at a moment's notice for any reason, but a good number of them got that job specifically because they were streamers or even vtubers beforehand. They might lose the ability to play that specific character they're known for, but like regular streamers most people are watching them for their personal brand of entertainment, not just because they're a cartoon dog they want to gently caress. If they continued streaming of any kind after leaving there's a non-zero number of people who would be instantly on reddit sharing links to it.

you really underestimate how much of the fanbases are mainly attached to the character. like obviously there are people who would follow the actress to her new venture but she wouldn’t have a huge marketing push behind her.

imagine if jerma for example had to change his name and were unable to use any of his old accounts or even mention anything he had done before that point. also the character based on his personality was copyrighted by a large corporation in one of the countries with the most strict copyright laws. also none of his old friends were allowed to collaborate with him anymore. how long do you think it would take to build his fanbase up again?

watho fucked around with this message at 09:48 on May 11, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I imagine the really distinctive ones who've leaned into the role, sort of really made the character their own, would have 0 trouble gaining enough of a fan-base to support them if they went independent. The tech start-up cost would be a hurdle, $15k for a full mo-cap suit, and getting all the back-end support, but it seems like a lot of channels can afford that with much smaller fanbases.

I imagine the $$$ from the super fans must be at least $100k on average if the most popular ones are making close to $1mil so there's plenty of money to go around. Unless it gets weird like Maker did (I didn't follow too closely but recall several major channels cutting ties around the same time) I don't really see too many problems.

RareAcumen posted:

One of Pikamee's friends, Jitomi Monoe, got retired for a breach of contract in like February and I don't know if they ever elaborated on what happened.

But also, no one has been brought in to replace her. So it's still less cursed than the third Fantastic Beasts movie.

All I can find from a search is people discussing a stream where the other 2 members of the trio and the boss all agreed it had to be done. Can't imagine it was anything they could hide or get away with because either way it's definitely costing them a chunk of money.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Chinese users are pretty vocal, seems like. Nigel Ng did an Uncle Roger collab video a while back with Mikey Chen of Simply Dumpling, who's a Chinese immigrant to the States and has been vocal in the past about the Chinese government, and it caused enough of an uproar with Ng's Chinese viewers that Ng took the video down

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

pentyne posted:

I imagine the really distinctive ones who've leaned into the role, sort of really made the character their own, would have 0 trouble gaining enough of a fan-base to support them if they went independent. The tech start-up cost would be a hurdle, $15k for a full mo-cap suit, and getting all the back-end support, but it seems like a lot of channels can afford that with much smaller fanbases.

Except the people acting as the vtubers don't have the rights to the character and (I believe) they're not allowed to disclose their real names or association with the character if/when they get terminated/leave.

The vtuber industry is really similar to the idol industry. You either play by the big company rules, or you'll never work in the town again.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

99% of vtubers use face tracking via webcam/phone camera so luckily a mo-cap suit isn't really necessary for them.

Archer666 posted:

Except the people acting as the vtubers don't have the rights to the character and (I believe) they're not allowed to disclose their real names or association with the character if/when they get terminated/leave.

The vtuber industry is really similar to the idol industry. You either play by the big company rules, or you'll never work in the town again.

This is mostly an issue for the big 2, Hololive and Nijisanji (and they should change that IMO). There are a lot of smaller vtuber groups where the talent retain full ownership of their digital likeness even if they leave. Not to mention all the indies.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ibblebibble posted:

99% of vtubers use face tracking via webcam/phone camera so luckily a mo-cap suit isn't really necessary for them.

I've heard you can do it with bog-standard SteamVR hardware too iirc. (It's like a SteamVR Tracker on each wrist, and one tied to your head on a headband).

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Happy to hear someone other than me is plugging Doc Destructo On this thread!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Saagonsa posted:

, given the massive backlash to when Active8 did that to Kizuna Ai.

And even that turned out to be a misunderstanding because the original actress owns the character and had only intended to take a break to work on the business side or was ill.

Iirc there's now Kizuna and her several "clones" that look slightly different and have different VAs so they can keep things running steadily and her original VA spun the entire thing into its own company she runs.

It would be extremely hard to recast most of these folks nowadays because even with the corporate ones the characters are so tied to the personalities behind them. If they break the rules they get "graduated" and most of the corps have regular audition cycles to bring in new talent.

I do know of at least one indie vtuber who doesn't want to join the English side of Hololive because they'd force her to give up her current character to switch to one they fully own and she likes her current one too much (it helps that she's truly a one person outfit who does all her own art and rigging.)

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Mokinokaro posted:

And even that turned out to be a misunderstanding because the original actress owns the character and had only intended to take a break to work on the business side or was ill.

Iirc there's now Kizuna and her several "clones" that look slightly different and have different VAs so they can keep things running steadily and her original VA spun the entire thing into its own company she runs.

It would be extremely hard to recast most of these folks nowadays because even with the corporate ones the characters are so tied to the personalities behind them. If they break the rules they get "graduated" and most of the corps have regular audition cycles to bring in new talent.

I do know of at least one indie vtuber who doesn't want to join the English side of Hololive because they'd force her to give up her current character to switch to one they fully own and she likes her current one too much (it helps that she's truly a one person outfit who does all her own art and rigging.)

The time commitment makes sense since all the vtubers who get big, indie or not, stream a stupid amount of time but I'm surprised at the switching part since at least a couple Hololives openly but not really openly stream on other platforms/other youtube accounts without much issue?? Or maybe they're grandfathered in somehow.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Finally saw Kallgreens part 2 video on Starship Troopers:

- Part 1 was really interesting because of his dad being an old sci-fi head who knows a lot about Heinlein, this one feels like extended Patrick Willems skit of terrorizing his family with Verhoeven's filmography
- said filmography is incredibly interesting, that guy has been making movies since 1960
- I think all "Dutch ~national characteristics~ as reflected in Verhoeven cinema" stuff is ridiculously regressive and if he ever applied it to a Japanese or Indian director he would've been rightfully laughed at
- Bugs!!

Everyone and their mother has made a "Starship Troopers is an amazing satire! Do you want to know more???" video so another angle was necessary but I think it is mostly a miss.

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 13:34 on May 11, 2021

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Magna Kaser posted:

The time commitment makes sense since all the vtubers who get big, indie or not, stream a stupid amount of time but I'm surprised at the switching part since at least a couple Hololives openly but not really openly stream on other platforms/other youtube accounts without much issue?? Or maybe they're grandfathered in somehow.

It all depends on how strict the company wants to be. Calliope Mori still performs under her old stage name for instance and her new outfit has a hat with her logo but she's not allowed to openly connect the two.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Every STARSHIP TROOPERS video is the same video.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

DrVenkman posted:

Every STARSHIP TROOPERS video is the same video.

I see you haven't subjected yourself to Sargon of Akkad's braincell killing video on the book, wherein he lays out the thesis that people think Starship Troopers the novel is fascist because Heinlein is very fanatical about what he's writing about and people somehow... think that makes it fascist....?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Archer666 posted:

I see you haven't subjected yourself to Sargon of Akkad's braincell killing video on the book, wherein he lays out the thesis that people think Starship Troopers the novel is fascist because Heinlein is very fanatical about what he's writing about and people somehow... think that makes it fascist....?

I saw a Sargon fan on twitter ridicule people who pointed out Doogie Howser shows up in a Hugo Boss uniform just in case you didn't get it yet. He was acting like they were reading too much into it lol

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

watho posted:

you really underestimate how much of the fanbases are mainly attached to the character. like obviously there are people who would follow the actress to her new venture but she wouldn’t have a huge marketing push behind her.
i just don't want to believe in a world that cummy.

Mokinokaro posted:

You can just say the moth lady's name.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Mothra?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Apparently Boogie's getting arrested, over that time where he pointed the gun at the crazy rear end stalker that showed up to his house. gently caress Boogie but honestly at the same time it kind of sucks, because the dude that just showed up on his doorstep had done poo poo like sending him pictures of him pointing a gun at pictures of him and similar freaky poo poo. He should've just stayed inside and called the cops, but like when someone like that shows up at your door, I dunno man, it wouldn't be too far out to think that this creep had showed up finally intending to hurt you or your family.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

i just don't want to believe in a world that cummy.

me neither but i’ve seen people lose a vast majority of their audience because their account got suspended

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Isn't there a Vtuber lady who was a very experienced movie VFX/Mocap engineer and started doing the vtuber thing because COVID basically turned the lights out on the movie industry for months?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Yardbomb posted:

Apparently Boogie's getting arrested, over that time where he pointed the gun at the crazy rear end stalker that showed up to his house. gently caress Boogie but honestly at the same time it kind of sucks, because the dude that just showed up on his doorstep had done poo poo like sending him pictures of him pointing a gun at pictures of him and similar freaky poo poo. He should've just stayed inside and called the cops, but like when someone like that shows up at your door, I dunno man, it wouldn't be too far out to think that this creep had showed up finally intending to hurt you or your family.

Boogie fired a shot randomly into the air in a populated neighborhood.

(a) A person commits aggravated assault if, under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life, he or she purposely:
(2) Displays a firearm in such a manner that creates a substantial danger of death or serious physical injury to another person; or