Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

The Tesla wipers have improved a whole lot since 2016. A whooooole lot.

I still have to hit the "wipe the drat window" button more than I'd like, though.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I dont know wether to be impressed or concerned you actually spent the time to work that out.

I like doing units conversions :shrug:

Maybe I should have been a college physics instructor, since this sort of thing was 70% of every physics class I took.

E: I just remembered, when power door locks came out, the old lady across the street was locked in her car in the driveway because the battery was flat after she turned off ignition. She stayed in there four hours waiting for her husband to get home and unlock it from the outside. Some people are willing to go to great lengths in order to avoid learning anything new.

cruft fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

cruft posted:

I still have to hit the "wipe the drat window" button more than I'd like, though.

I have the exact opposite problem, it wipes far longer than it should.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Already caught out on the streets:

https://mobile.twitter.com/spann/st...agenumber%3D844

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Mzuri posted:

Thanks for this, it does put it into perspective. And you're right about the lack of proper boots - won't somebody think of the white, middle-aged men with families?!

Good news!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zzqIMXWlH0

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Incredible. How do the door handles line up straight like that?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Indiana_Krom posted:

Oh absolutely, the automatic wipers suck. With that huge touch screen they could at least give us a couple more options for manual delays other than than "off" "too fast", and "even faster" "on". All my previous vehicles did not have automatic wipers at all, but they did have 5-7 different delay settings which was actually less of a hassle than these lovely blind AI controlled automatic wipers.

The rest of the complaint about adjusting the mirrors and what not wouldn't have been an issue if he had just read the screen as he was adjusting them. It literally says on the screen how to adjust the mirror in a giant image and text, and then shows how to switch to adjusting the other mirror. It isn't even "read the manual", its basically a guided setup wizard! It doesn't get any more idiot proof than that, but of course there is always a bigger idiot. Please forgive Tesla for assuming anyone needing to adjust the mirrors has basic literacy.

whats wrong with normal mirror adjustment controls tho

edit: tesla has done some really innovative things in areas that matter, and a bunch of stupid useless "innovative" things that are actually not improvements on anything. it would be awesome to get the former without the latter but in fairness it may not be possible.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Having a 'guided setup wizard' to tell you how to adjust something as simple as a mirror is insane

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

You know how fiction writers get that creative boost from one glass of wine? Then after a bottle and a half it just falls apart into nonsense. The same probably applies to tech execs and cocaine.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

dissss posted:

Having a 'guided setup wizard' to tell you how to adjust something as simple as a mirror is insane

I dislike the everything touchscreen of a Tesla and it's a deal breaker for me, but I don't think it was that hard to adjust the mirrors. You touch which mirror you want to adjust and use the scroll wheel. It tilts left and right too.
Then again I rented it back in September and maybe the UI has changed again already.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

They had me at German man on a skateboard. The car looks surprisingly good too, although at that probable price point I would be tempted to just go for a Rivian instead.

.... Now I want a HiLux EV, damnit.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ola posted:

You know how fiction writers get that creative boost from one glass of wine? Then after a bottle and a half it just falls apart into nonsense. The same probably applies to tech execs and cocaine.

it's almost certainly true that in order to break a few things successfully you have to adopt a pretty insane mindset. better to overreach than underreach i suppose.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it's almost certainly true that in order to break a few things successfully you have to adopt a pretty insane mindset. better to overreach than underreach i suppose.

And to be fair, I think the mirrors are fine. It's not like traditional stuff, but you can save all kinds of different profiles between users or between your own "low rider" and "parking lot scout" seat settings, which includes the mirror position.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ola posted:

And to be fair, I think the mirrors are fine. It's not like traditional stuff, but you can save all kinds of different profiles between users or between your own "low rider" and "parking lot scout" seat settings, which includes the mirror position.

my model year 2000 E39 does this

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

my model year 2000 E39 does this

I wasn't selling in the concept of mirror memory on its own. The subtext is "it's no big deal, you don't need to adjust mirrors that often".

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Some disguised photos of the Macan EV in this article.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/porsche-macan-electric-first-look-review/

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

So basically its not "a lot of cars" and even then not in the manner Tesla have been doing esp with handing out upgrades as their software tuning gets better, that wold be a more accurate statement?

this is from a few pages back but my gas mustang does ota updates and i got one a few months ago which significantly improved the dynamic cruise control behavior. it used to be really jerky and timid and now it’s smooth as hell

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

whats wrong with normal mirror adjustment controls tho

Maybe doing it this way reduces assembly time, supply chain complexity, and overall cost of goods?

The words I used may have made it sound like I know what I'm talking about here but I'm really just speculating wildly. I've never assembled an automobile, I have no idea.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh yeah it definitely has to be the cost. The screen is standard off the shelf poo poo that costs like $100 and can do everything, while a million different switches have to be designed, made, stored, connected and installed separately.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

There's some ups and downs with putting everything on the screen. Cost savings is the biggest advantage but putting all your feature-eggs into one fail basket sometimes isn't great. At least have the Tesla app have all the console controls as a back up if necessary.

Last year, I accidentally cracked my Model 3's screen, and it was unusable until I ordered a used one pulled off a crashed car on eBay. Was weird driving without a screen for a few days. At least it was relatively easy to replace on my own, it's about the same difficulty as changing a CPU cooler on a pc.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 11, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

cruft posted:

Maybe doing it this way reduces assembly time, supply chain complexity, and overall cost of goods?

The words I used may have made it sound like I know what I'm talking about here but I'm really just speculating wildly. I've never assembled an automobile, I have no idea.

it definitely does reduce all of those things

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
The mirror thing on the Model 3 is a non-issue, you tweak it one time and its simple to accomplish. I can't imagine complaining about this. The wiper stuff is insane though. I hate the auto-wipers on the Model 3. People defend it, claiming its better than first iteration and I'm sure that's true but it still sucks.

Anyways I'm super stoked about the Ioniq 5 after watching the latest Asian Petrolhead video. He went really in depth on a lot of the features and I didn't expect that much software maturity from Hyundai so soon. I really like the range estimate showing with HVAC and without, that's a nice touch. I am strongly considering selling my Model 3 privately and getting one. I really wanted into the EV world last year but I would've bought this instead if it was available at the time. The problems I have is that the missus loves the Model 3 and is vehemently opposed to me selling it and that I am leery buying a first year model.

Oh and the weird interior side displays, I don't want those at all.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

The Gunslinger posted:

Oh and the weird interior side displays, I don't want those at all.

These are an option though I don't remember if they're forced on you at the top trim/option level in the UK/Germany or if they're optional on top of that. Moot if you're in the us since our options will be different

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Gunslinger posted:

I hate the auto-wipers on the Model 3. People defend it, claiming its better than first iteration and I'm sure that's true but it still sucks.

It absolutely is better than how they were at release, but absolutely agree that they're still not great.

Counterpoint: The photo-optical rain sensing system on MrsYenko's Jetta is gently caress-awful as well, and likes to turn the wipers on full-blast when the very first drop of moisture hits the bone-dry, dirty, 170° windshield in the florida summer. She goes through wiper blades like you wouldn't believe.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The mirrors are kinda important safety kit that someone that jumps into the car should be able to adjust. It would be sensible to use the same control format as every other car for the last 30 years rather than trying to go zero physical controls to save $5 per car (same goes things like wipers, indicators and gear selector)

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Looks like Subaru is jumping in next year with Toyota. No details tho.

https://twitter.com/subaru_usa/status/1392155089398284294?s=20

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Bone Crimes posted:

Looks like Subaru is jumping in next year with Toyota. No details tho.

https://twitter.com/subaru_usa/status/1392155089398284294?s=20

A Subaru EV CUV?.. Could be amazing.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I've been waiting for Subaru to wake up for many years now.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Sub-E

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

That is some Final Destination poo poo, I hadn't even thought of that as a possibility but it makes sense

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Mzuri posted:

They had me at German man on a skateboard. The car looks surprisingly good too, although at that probable price point I would be tempted to just go for a Rivian instead.

.... Now I want a HiLux EV, damnit.

Well, it is basically a reskinned Renault Kangoo so it shouldnt be that expensive. The Renault will have a 44 kWh battery which provides a range of 265 km. Which is rubbish. I really hope Merc installs a bigger battery pack but I fear they are just going to put the star in the grill and call it good enough.

PSA will also electrify the Berlingo-family MPVs with 50 kWh capacity batteries. Disappointing

bad_fmr fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 11, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bad_fmr posted:

Well, it is basically a reskinned Renault Kangoo so it shouldnt be that expensive. The Renault will have a 44 kWh battery which provides a range of 265 km. Which is rubbish. I really hope Merc installs a bigger battery pack but I fear they are just going to put the star in the grill and call it good enough.

It's for in town taxi and tradesman work, 265 should be sufficient for a lot of the intended users

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's for in town taxi and tradesman work, 265 should be sufficient for a lot of the intended users

For the van that it is based on, yes I agree. But for the MPV that is supposed to be a family hauler I think it is not enough.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

It's kind of crazy how far behind the times Subaru seems to be with hybrids and BEVs considering they angle themselves to be for hippies

Full disclosure I own a Subaru

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

bad_fmr posted:

PSA will also electrify the Berlingo-family MPVs with 50 kWh capacity batteries. Disappointing

I would 100% get a cheap used Berlingo or Kangoo with below 200km range for our daily in-town stuff like pick ups, drop offs, supermarket runs, and sundry errands. My wife's 2004 Berlingo died three weeks ago and we settled on a well used petrol Caddy as a replacement that will hopefully last until used EV mpvs hit a reasonable price point in 5-6 years.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Legac-E

Also I can't remember if I hated the Kangoo rental I had more than the Mokka. It was certainly more embarrassing even if technically a better car.

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 11, 2021

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I wish people itt would stop making up words like Mokka and Kangoo and Berlingo.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I hate Mokka Joe

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
I test drove a Mercedes EQA today. It felt like an entirely normal small crossover that just happened to be electric, which is probably the point. Not hugely fast, but comfortable and easy to drive. It's for my mum, who has never driven an electric car, and she took to it immediately, despite her normally being skeptical to any new technology. I guess electric cars that don't try to change everything about cars have their market too.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Humbug posted:

I test drove a Mercedes EQA today. It felt like an entirely normal small crossover that just happened to be electric, which is probably the point. Not hugely fast, but comfortable and easy to drive. It's for my mum, who has never driven an electric car, and she took to it immediately, despite her normally being skeptical to any new technology. I guess electric cars that don't try to change everything about cars have their market too.

That's super encouraging to read, and I 100% agree.

Indexed bicycle shifting is a great analogy here. Shimano introduced indexed shifting initially as a low-end product to help people new to bicycles. Makes sense, right? You want to just "click" into the right gear, not think about why your chain might be grinding against the derailer and make small adjustments to how it lines up with the freewheel. Well, it bombed, so they took it off the market. A few years later, they brought it back, but as a bazillion dollar top-of-the-line item that only super rich people could afford, and suddenly everybody was raving about how great it was.

So the fact that your mom, who doesn't get all excited about new tech, drove a boring electric car and thought it was great, to me means we're now at the stage where there's this hot new technology that previously only rich eccentric people wanted, and now Humbug's mom is giving it serious consideration. For people like me who want there to be more electric cars, this is way more exciting than a Model S refresh or the 0-60 time of the latest Taycan. The F150 announcement is a friggin huge deal too.

cruft fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I'll personally feel like we're there when all the busses and delivery trucks around me are zero emission. Sick of smelling diesel.