Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jiggerypokery posted:

Again, not on twitter. Is that what linehan actually espouses or is that a caricature? (genuine question)
Some of the smooth brained youtube conference calls he and his little crew did definitely went into this, and J.K. Rowling's famous letter referenced the discredited Rapid Onset Gender Dysphoria conspiracy theory, which outright says that more kids are trans now just because of knowing what trans is, which is straight up Section 28 bullshit about how you can't tell the kids what a gay is otherwise they might turn into one (which is terrible).

e: 70 appears a lot in the books of all Abrahamic religions and is the UK motorway speed limit.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 11:32 on May 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

jiggerypokery posted:

Again, not on twitter. Is that what linehan actually espouses or is that a caricature? (genuine question)

If you want to know where he’s currently at, in February he joined a lesbian dating app with photoshopped pictures of himself in protest at the platform allowing trans lesbians to join.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Flayer posted:

I am so sick of politicians banging on about "change" without actually specifying what that change is.
He did that already, it's the thread title

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEBlaMOmKV4

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Noxville posted:

If you want to know where he’s currently at, in February he joined a lesbian dating app with photoshopped pictures of himself in protest at the platform allowing trans lesbians to join.

I don't think he even photoshopped it, he just put his face up there and called himself a woman

Like all the conservative "comedians" who are obsessed with trans women going into women's bathrooms and so dress up in drag and per on women in bathrooms to prove their "point"

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

The Perfect Element posted:

God that's just really sad. What is it about the existence trans people that breaks peoples brains so severely?

There's legitimate issues that arise from a question as deep as what it means to be who we are and most people are utterly incapable of even the most basic self-reflection.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He has already managed to change half the party's vote share away so I for one an excited to see how much harder he can change.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Noxville posted:

With an almost totally compliant press and party too, it’s an unbelievable achievement to be doing this badly

Every time he's on tv, he's saying: "The Labour party's poo poo and the public hate us and I can understand why people feel that way but we can change, I promise!"

I know the intent is to convey a fresh leadership moving on from the past and reconnecting with the electorate but to me it just comes across as incredibly weak and pathetic and, going by that chart, most of the public agrees with me.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Pistol_Pete posted:

Every time he's on tv, he's saying: "The Labour party's poo poo and the public hate us and I can understand why people feel that way but we can change, I promise!"

I know the intent is to convey a fresh leadership moving on from the past and reconnecting with the electorate but to me it just comes across as incredibly weak and pathetic and, going by that chart, most of the public agrees with me.
Especially as he was nominally in Corbyns corner before the last election, or at least appeared on that side of things during TV appearances. He really is nothing in a suit.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
It's become genuinely comical how nebulous the Labour policy position has become since Keith took over. They're literally incapable of committing to anything or expressing an opinion on anything other than a need for unspecified 'change', but then they seem confused about why people don't want to vote for them? If I had voted for Labour on Thursday, I would have had literally no idea what I was voting for, as even the one policy they did announce was literally never mentioned again.

I'm using loads of words like 'literally', 'genuinely' 'actually' etc. because the situation is just so farcical that it feels like I MUST be exaggerating.

Utter poo poo heaps.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Noxville posted:

The woman I am thinking of that died of cancer had a YouTube channel where she was ranting about being accused of being a bigot for not wanting to date a trans woman. I'm 100% convinced he must have taken up her cause with absolutely zero comprehension of wtf she was saying.

I've never seen her videos, btw. I'm sorry if they are/ended up being more crazy than that. This is very much second hand information from a friend who's broken YouTube recommends her exclusively cancer survivors and TERF videos.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think it is necessary to think that he isn't just like that of his own volition.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Maybe not, but it's an amazing, distressing phenomenon that the YouTube algorithm links the two.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pistol_Pete posted:

The funny thing is you can actually get far by going "the previous leadership was poo poo, we're the NEW leadership!". Its exactly what Boris did.

But you have to imply you used to be poo poo for a short period at the start of your reign, as justification for all the sweeping changes you're making. Then your new policies speak for themselves.

Keir is still going "we used to be poo poo!" a year on, and hasn't instituted any changes to convince people he's not poo poo any more.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

jabby posted:

Keir is still going "we used to be poo poo!" a year on, and hasn't instituted any changes to convince people he's not poo poo any more.

That's not really fair, he changed being a vegetarian

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

jabby posted:

The funny thing is you can actually get far by going "the previous leadership was poo poo, we're the NEW leadership!". Its exactly what Boris did.

But you have to imply you used to be poo poo for a short period at the start of your reign, as justification for all the sweeping changes you're making. Then your new policies speak for themselves.

Johnson didn't spend his entire time apologising like Keith does, he just bigged himself up. The message needs to be "We are great", not "we were poo poo" (emphasis on the parts the listener will hear).

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I've enjoyed this BBC graphic (accompanying an article about covid-19 in India):

Because it conveniently misses that the UK sits snugly below South Africa at 7.53%.

e: depending on what numbers you look at, either way it's not great

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 12:06 on May 11, 2021

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

UK is about 10% https://www.statista.com/statistics/317708/healthcare-expenditure-as-a-share-of-gdp-in-the-united-kingdom/ but has 10% less gdp per capita than germany https://countryeconomy.com/countries/compare/germany/uk

UK cost is about £4k per person per year.

e: India must have a healthcare spend of about £60 per person per year :yikeseroo:

jiggerypokery fucked around with this message at 12:11 on May 11, 2021

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

jiggerypokery posted:

UK is about 10% https://www.statista.com/statistics/317708/healthcare-expenditure-as-a-share-of-gdp-in-the-united-kingdom/ but has 10% less gdp per capita than germany https://countryeconomy.com/countries/compare/germany/uk

UK cost is about £4k per person per year.

e: India must have a healthcare spend of about £60 per person per year :yikeseroo:
As much as I've read about the Indian healthcare system it's almost all private so the median spend is probably less than a quid.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1392073585313951744

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sikh gurdwaras are setting up oxygen langars to give oxygen to as many as possible at the moment, doing more than the nationalist government.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"doing more good than the national government" is a fairly common trend for gurdwaras across the planet, though.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

He has already managed to change half the party's vote share away so I for one an excited to see how much harder he can change.

Momentarily failed to mentally gear shift and thought you were saying Linehan had somehow done this.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Dude's just not having a good time, is he.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I wonder if change change change wages the jobs jobs jobs.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Carolyn Harris is awful, just a rude & nasty person in general.

Can anyone get past that paywall?

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
step 1: go on tv/radio/print/megaphone and tell anyone who'll listen that labour is poo poo and voters are right to reject the party but that you'll change it somehow
step 2: refuse under any circumstances to elaborate on what that change is

why wont people vote for us! voters are just so stupid!!!

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Borrovan posted:

Carolyn Harris is awful, just a rude & nasty person in general.

Can anyone get past that paywall?
Reader view in Firefox

quote:

Sir Keir Starmer’s closest parliamentary aide has resigned amid allegations she spread baseless rumours about Angela Rayner’s private life, The Times has learnt.

Carolyn Harris, Starmer’s parliamentary private secretary since he became leader last year, has left her position as the fallout from Starmer’s botched reshuffle enters its fourth day.

Harris, the MP for Swansea East and deputy leader of Welsh Labour, is accused by some MPs of spreading unfounded allegations about Rayner, Starmer’s deputy, including at the weekend while negotiations about her position in the shadow cabinet were ongoing.

As parliamentary private secretary, Harris was Starmer’s eyes and ears in the parliamentary party, but her relations with some MPs are said to have soured in recent months.

In a statement released by Starmer’s office, Harris said: “It has been the proudest moment of my career to co-chair the campaign that saw Keir Starmer elected as Labour leader, and to serve as his PPS [parliamentary private secretary] for the past year.

“Stepping back from this role is the right thing at this moment, coming as it does after some trying personal times and an ever-increasing workload as Deputy Leader of Welsh Labour. I have enjoyed every minute, and look forward to supporting Keir the best way I can in the months ahead.”

Asked by The Times about the claim she had been spreading rumours regarding Rayner, Harris immediately blocked the reporter on WhatsApp. Starmer’s office declined to comment. Rayner’s spokesman said that she and Starmer were working together on Labour’s response to the Queen’s Speech.

Senior figures said Starmer needed a radically different approach in the role. Asked who Starmer should appoint to improve relations with MPs, one shadow minister said: “Anyone but Carolyn.”

Another said: “She was briefing salacious rumours about Angela over the weekend and got caught. She’s a total wrecking ball and has done him a lot of harm in PLP [parliamentary party].”

Harris, 60, entered the Commons in 2015 and has built up a reputation as a passionate and effective campaigner on issues including gambling and the cost of funerals. However, there is understood to have been consternation in Starmer’s team earlier this year when The Times revealed that she had invited a fraudster who swindled £45,000 by faking cancer to address an anti-gambling event.

It comes after The Times revealed that Starmer was warned Rayner could topple him as leader at the height of the reshuffle row

The prospect of a leadership challenge was relayed to Starmer and his team on Sunday by supporters of the deputy leader, sources familiar with the discussions have told The Times.

Divisions at the top of the Labour Party emerged over the weekend after Starmer moved to sack Rayner from her role as party chairwoman after disappointing election results.

She resisted the sacking, which led to hours of negotiations between her and Starmer over her role on Sunday. The talks prevented a planned shadow cabinet reshuffle from happening until late into the evening.

“There were a lot of people encouraging her to run and saying they would back her,” a friend of hers said. “She could have easily challenged Keir on Saturday night and won with support from all wings of the PLP and trade union movement.”

As deputy leader, Rayner is in a powerful position because she has her own mandate after being elected by members in April last year alongside Starmer. It means he is unable to sack her from the role.

Despite suggestions to the contrary from shadow cabinet sources, however, Rayner herself is understood not to have threatened to challenge Starmer.

The developments have exposed a split between Rayner and Starmer and led to a war of words between their camps. Rayner’s supporters argue that her new role amounts to a promotion and boost to her authority and influence. She has been appointed shadow chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, making her Michael Gove’s opposite number, as well as shadow deputy prime minister and shadow secretary for the future of work.

“She’s come out of this so much more powerful after a year of being held back,” one said. “On Friday Keir couldn’t answer a simple question about what Labour’s vision is, what our offer is and how we will win back the voters in our heartland seats. Angela can answer that question.”

Starmer’s allies accused Rayner of making “unreasonable demands” and her allies of “burnishing their own credentials” for a future leadership race.

One said: “It’s been going on for months — and it is patently obvious. I think people in the shadow cabinet are under no illusions that these people are serially disloyal,” one said. “There is a sense that she was very much siding with the unions to signal that she would toe their line. They are more interested in positioning themselves with the unions and the members. They are putting themselves before the party and the country fundamentally.”

The Starmer ally added: “Rayner now has a very strong policy development platform that gives her the chance to preach to the members.”

Starmer and Rayner sought to defuse tensions yesterday. “People need to calm down and stop getting carried away,” a source close to Rayner said. “As Angela herself has said she’s focused on the job of reconnecting with the voters who have lost faith in the Labour Party and setting out our policy offer.”

Starmer praised Rayner in a shadow cabinet meeting yesterday and said her new role would allow her to take the fight to the Tories.

He has appointed Rachel Reeves as his shadow chancellor, demoting Anneliese Dodds to party chairwoman, the role previously held by Rayner.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Azza Bamboo posted:

change change change wages the jobs jobs jobs.

Can someone who is good at such things make this into a promo poster for Kieth please

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/PanopticonGaze/status/1392082710722613254

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

CGI Stardust posted:

Reader view in Firefox
Thanks friend :)

Was hoping for the salacious rumours though

e: vvv thanks also :)

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 12:59 on May 11, 2021

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Edit: I got beaten to it.

But also, for those on Chrome... https://github.com/iamadamdev/bypass-paywalls-chrome

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Keir has had 00.0000001% of the media criticism that Corbyn had and he's absolutely hosed it.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Copsucker supporter posted:

They are more interested in positioning themselves with the unions and the members. They are putting themselves before the party and the country fundamentally.

Umm, who the gently caress is "the party" if not the members?
Someone told on themselves there I think.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

quote:

They are more interested in positioning themselves with the unions and the members

hosed up if true

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Gonzo McFee posted:

Keir has had 00.0000001% of the media criticism that Corbyn had and he's absolutely hosed it.
& the criticism that Keith does get is people who used to be his fanatical supporters eventually saying "come on ffs do something"

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Sure has (posting my own tweet)

https://twitter.com/sebzilla89/status/1392090881616928770?s=20

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Who actually leaked that Rayner was getting sacked? Does she and Keith actually have issues or are they just surrounded by tiny bickering idiots?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

jiggerypokery posted:

Who actually leaked that Rayner was getting sacked? Does she and Keith actually have issues or are they just surrounded by tiny bickering idiots?
Rayner was the Momentum candidate & immediately sold us out & threw her lot in with Keith & the hard right after getting elected. She's been completely loyal to Keith as far as I can tell. imo this was probably all the hard right around him whispering in his ear that he needs to go even more right wing & cut off anyone left-seeming

Personally I'm actually prepared to give her a second chance, it looked like the right thing to do for her career at the time but I very much doubt she'll make the mistake of trusting those fuckers again, whereas I reckon she'll be working pretty hard to earn our trust back. Like it says a lot about her character that she'd betray us for personal gain in the first place, but she's got no motivation to do it again & a strong motivation not to

(I'll eat my words if she repeats Friday's immigration rhetoric)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Whether or not she is a poo poo it still seems like it would be advantageous to put her in if only because it would either limit the right's power or tar even more of them as loving idiots if she continues that approach.