Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Borrovan posted:

Personally I'm actually prepared to give her a second chance

Considering how hard she betrayed Corbyn, including saying she would kick thousands of members out of the party if she had to, I'd say that would be a massive mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
She's a politician. I'd trust her in relativity to those in the profession, but not absolutely.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

TheRat posted:

Considering how hard she betrayed Corbyn, including saying she would kick thousands of members out of the party if she had to, I'd say that would be a massive mistake.
That was just empty rhetoric pushing the party line that she had suddenly decided to get behind, imo the bigger betrayal was helping to rig the committee investigating the saboteur report, but if anything the extent of her betrayal only emphasises that the hard right will never not be her enemy & gives her more of a motive to try & get back with the left. She's demonstrated that she will act in her own self-interest, & her self interest is served by supporting the left

I still think she'd be a poo poo choice to replace Starmer, but that's more because it'd start a civil war that we probably can't win & also because she's a bit thick

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Just got my invite for the jab and I'm a sprightly mid 30s :corsair:

Not seen it announced that the 30s have started. NHS England booking site still says 40+
But thought I'd mention it as I suspect 30s is the most common age range in here.

Spots fill up FAST. I was gonna go for the 8:30 slot, in the time it took me to walk downstairs to check with my partner she'd be around to watch the dog, every slot up to 3pm had gone.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 13:42 on May 11, 2021

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Where do you live out of curiosity? My sister is 39 and three quarters and definitely hasn't been invited yet in south London.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
Despite betraying the left faction which promoted her to deputy she still seems to have tacit support from the trades unions and left, leadership is hers to lose at this point I think. She's trimming Starmer loyalists where possible to prepare the terrain for the next big gently caress up/tipping point.

As much as you can't let the personal influence the political it'd be nice to have someone with a bit of background and not just another be-suited PPE clone.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I’m 40 in August and about 6 weeks outside the current cutoff but haven’t heard anything from my GP yet. I just wanna gets stabbed with a needle!

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

How/when did she sell out the left exactly

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
Some combo of not opposing Corbyn's expulsion or the purging of CLPs enough.

What she could have done in those situations is a different matter but I'm also not hugely impressed by some of the most powerful politicians in the country perennially claiming their hands are tied as is convenient.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

peanut- posted:

My sister is 39 and three quarters

Noxville posted:

I’m 40 in August and about 6 weeks

could you imagine if this is how these posters found out they were related

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Rustybear posted:

What she could have done in those situations is a different matter but I'm also not hugely impressed by some of the most powerful politicians in the country perennially claiming their hands are tied as is convenient.

Must admit part of me is getting more and more irritated when people go "sorry we can't do [good thing] for [complex reason]" but "Oh we can always do [bad thing] because that's what we can do!" I'm starting to worry that seeing complexity as apriori bad is bad for me though.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Borrovan posted:

Rayner was the Momentum candidate

I thought Dawn Butler was the lefty for deputy? I voted for her, anyway.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

jiggerypokery posted:

UK is about 10% https://www.statista.com/statistics/317708/healthcare-expenditure-as-a-share-of-gdp-in-the-united-kingdom/ but has 10% less gdp per capita than germany https://countryeconomy.com/countries/compare/germany/uk

UK cost is about £4k per person per year.

e: India must have a healthcare spend of about £60 per person per year :yikeseroo:

Germany's healthcare system is an overpriced clusterfuck too - compulsory insurance which at least avoids the worst excesses of the American system through heavy regulation but can still leave you in a labyrinthine nightmare of overlapping and underlapping coverage and of course through atomisation leaves individual funds massively vulnerable to demographic shifts and predatory pricing by providers.

Despite paying almost 50% more on average for their healthcare than the average UK citizen, Germans get a lower life expectancy and considerably worse outcomes on long-term conditions. Also the fact that the insurers are free to pick and choose customers, and maintaining insurance is a condition of visas being granted, allows them to deport any foreigner who suddenly stops being economically productive through ill-health.

Unsurprisingly this is the exact model that most of the Tory party consider to be optimal (excluding the ones who want a straight-up American style free-for-all of course)

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

jiggerypokery posted:

How/when did she sell out the left exactly
When the NEC was looking into all the leaked texts &c showing how the right sabotaged the 2017 election she voted with the hard right Blairite stooge faction to fill the committee with hard right Blairite stooges (her vote would have been enough to get the left's preferred people in). This was literally about a week after the election.

There was also supporting the suspensions, & I think there was a third thing on top of generally following Starmer 100% in every lovely thing that he did or didn't do.

feedmegin posted:

Nah, the Momentum ticket was RLB/Rayner. I remember because I put Rayner first despite liking Butler & Burgon better.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

feedmegin posted:

Momentum higher-ups did some discussing and politicking, decided to endorse the pair of RLB/Rayner, then put that endorsement to the membership for legitimation as a Yes/No vote. it passed, but did not go down well - iirc sub-30% turnout

("this is what grassroots bottom-up democracy looks like?" was the feeling)

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Why would you vote for raynor over butler

The Labour Party sucks

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Borrovan posted:

Same thing in Northern Ireland, the peaceful civil rights movement was violently crushed by the State so violence became the only solution: the problem isn't with that part of the argument, it's where people make the leap from "some violence is justified" to "therefore any violence is justified so I guess I'll just blow up a schoolbus or w/e".

I mean, the mainline IRA very specifically did NOT do this. They attacked what they considered legitimate targets (soldiers/cops/Tory politicians) and phoned up the polis to warn when they'd placed bombs so that civilians could be evacuated. When the Real IRA didn't do that this happened and they basically were condemned by all their potential supporters and went out of business as a result.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 11, 2021

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Failed Imagineer posted:

Is there a similar bot for the Guardian? I'm sure it would show some equally disgraceful bootlicking

I'll get right on it if there isn't.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

God Bournville is so drat nice. Love getting a reason to stop off here for a bit. Got some good photos of ducks.
https://i.imgur.com/Y6pGfjk.mp4

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Dabir posted:

God Bournville is so drat nice. Love getting a reason to stop off here for a bit. Got some good photos of ducks.

poo poo chocolate tho

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Dabir posted:

That's a terrible photo of a duck, sorry

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

How's this?

Dabir posted:

Posting OC (Original Cwacktent)

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

feedmegin posted:

I mean, the mainline IRA very specifically did NOT do this. They attacked what they considered legitimate targets (soldiers/cops/Tory politicians) and phoned up the polis to warn when they'd placed bombs so that civilians could be evacuated. When the Real IRA didn't do that this happened and they basically were condemned by all their potential supporters and went out of business as a result.
idk what you mean by mainline IRA but the Real IRA didn't exist in 1988, when whichever-IRA blew up a school bus (looks to be the Provos according to this).

e: I guess it's a bit pointless debating which-IRA-did-what though, the point remains the same: political violence is sometimes necessary, but some right shady bastards tend to float up to the surface when political violence is going on. It's bogus when mainstream liberals use the shady bastards to condemn literally anyone resisting oppression, but pointing that out doesn't mean that the shady bastards aren't still bastards.

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 11, 2021

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Dabir posted:

How's this?

Better :colbert:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Communist Thoughts posted:

Why would you vote for raynor over butler

The Labour Party sucks

Was it maybe an insurance thing? In the sense that they'd worked out that Rayner would pick up some votes from other factions of the party, so if the Momentum vote alone wasn't enough to get RLB in as leader, they wouldn't get in Butler either, but they might get Rayner in as a compromise candidate. Better to have a soft-left deputy than a not-left deputy, essentially.

I think I went for RLB/Butler based on the advice of the thread? Memory's hazy. I can't believe it's only been a year and a bit, feels like ages ago.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
:thunk:

quote:

Queen's Speech commits to Troubles legislation

Based on details of the plan leaked last week, it is proposed that all prosecutions prior to 1998 and related to the Troubles will, in future, be banned under a statute of limitations.
x

quote:

10 people shot dead in Ballymurphy were innocent, inquest finds

Report says killings during British army operations in Belfast in 1971 were unjustified
x

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

When the Real IRA didn't do that this happened and they basically were condemned by all their potential supporters and went out of business as a result.
Britcops and Gardai both knew where the real bomb in that case was and both avoided mentioning it to Ulster, so there's blood on those hands too.

Borrovan posted:

idk what you mean by mainline IRA but the Real IRA didn't exist in 1988
Midland Mainline IRA hijacked trains and delayed them for an hour without telling anyone.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Guavanaut posted:

Midland Mainline IRA hijacked trains and delayed them for an hour without telling anyone.

Presumably because it meant the trains got in earlier than people were expecting. GG, IRA.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

As a concept, an RLB/Rayner ticket was a good idea - RLB from the left, Rayner as a sop to the right, but sympathetic and not a wrecker. It was a good plan for unity.

Unfortunately, it was also a plan made from an assumption of strength. It was quickly clear that RLB was on the back foot, and so that kind of politicking wasn't going to work.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

peanut- posted:

Where do you live out of curiosity? My sister is 39 and three quarters and definitely hasn't been invited yet in south London.

Hampshire

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Boris trying to distract from everything by inciting war with NI, great!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Comrade Fakename posted:

As a concept, an RLB/Rayner ticket was a good idea - RLB from the left, Rayner as a sop to the right, but sympathetic and not a wrecker. It was a good plan for unity.

Unfortunately, it was also a plan made from an assumption of strength. It was quickly clear that RLB was on the back foot, and so that kind of politicking wasn't going to work.

Rayner was never going to work as a sop to the right because she was firmly of the so-called "soft left". Who the Labour right barely tolerate as a necessity.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

I'm in Oxfordshire, and my 38 year old wife just got a text to go get hers.
I'm 40 and mines due tomorrow!

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Rayner was never going to work as a sop to the right because she was firmly of the so-called "soft left". Who the Labour right barely tolerate as a necessity.

Well, the relative right, if you prefer.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Borrovan posted:

Christians have been waging unprovoked wars of aggression on Muslims for like a thousand years, no amount of peace has stopped it, so the only remaining choice is to keep doing violence until the West gets the message that the only way to stop the violence is to stop invading the Middle East. It's a consistent narrative, with a strong factual basis.

While I agree that violence isn’t always and everywhere something that has to be condemned, this is an, uh, interesting take on the early modern period. Where are the borders of the Middle East in their narrative?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/MENnewsdesk/status/1392121501403557892

Burnham is definitely going for the leadership. He's hoping this column will be the equivalent of Boris writing for the Telegraph while May was in charge, just a platform to get his policies across.

A choice between Burnham and Rayner for leader would be tough I think. Neither are massively Lefty but Burnham started out poo poo and got better while Rayner started out good and is now poo poo.

I'm not surprised people were encouraging Rayner to launch a challenge though. If she did the SCG could immediately say "gently caress you" and field their own candidate.

The main thing that annoys me is that while the soft left have Rayner and Burnham to choose from there's nobody from the proper left that seems like a leader in waiting. Or even being groomed for the job. And that lack of planning is why RLB crashed and burned.

jabby fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 11, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jabby posted:

I'm not surprised people were encouraging Rayner to launch a challenge though. If she did the SCG could immediately say "gently caress you" and field their own candidate.

I was under the impression that a challenge necessitated a specific challenger not that it triggered a new leadership election with normal nomination rules?

Also I dispute that Rayner was ever "good" she has always given off a very strong air of trying to ingratiate herself to any cause she can, see "I'm basically gay because i am working class"

I don't at all understand why she was a supposedly left pick other than apparently RLB likes her which is more of an indictment of RLB than anything.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Feel the Burnham

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
lol i got told off in a meeting for saying offhand that i wanted a second indy ref becasue it would lead to the dissolution of the uk

unionists are such snowflakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Beefeater1980 posted:

Where are the borders of the Middle East in their narrative?

OwlFancier posted:

"I'm basically gay because i am working class"
Fellas, is it gay to labor for others' profit?