Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What were the reasons given?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Regarde Aduck posted:

the only thing more pointless than watching a show about zombies is one where the zombies are also just magic

so congrats i guess

to be clear i don't think its bad because 'magic'. It's bad because 'why not any other monster?'.

Good zombie shows/books/media aren't about zombies, generally speaking. Like most other good speculative fiction they are about people. The zombies are just part of the setting.

It occurred to me almost immediately (and I have no idea if it was the authors' intent, but probably) that the titular Walking Dead are the living, not the zombies (also lol that no one ever says "zombie" in like 14 seasons of zombie shows)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

hawowanlawow posted:

wrong, the best zombie movie just made them super irrationally pissed off and they could still run fast

I don't remember this in Cockneys vs Zombies

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Bloop posted:

Good zombie shows/books/media aren't about zombies, generally speaking. Like most other good speculative fiction they are about people. The zombies are just part of the setting.

Or they're commentaries on the way society views out-groups and minorities and things.

Or more frequently they're the author's wallowing in those views to stoke a hero fantasy

(I don't like zombie movies very much)

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Or Shaun of the Dead

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Data Graham posted:

Or they're commentaries on the way society views out-groups and minorities and things.

Or more frequently they're the author's wallowing in those views to stoke a hero fantasy

(I don't like zombie movies very much)

TWD was extremely blatant about this and they did an ok job of it I thought. For the first 5 seasons or so that I watched.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

TWD was extremely blatant about this and they did an ok job of it I thought. For the first 5 seasons or so that I watched.

There are definitely only tainted heroes on that series. Even the obvious initial protagonist gets his hands dirty quickly and stops thinking of himself as The Good Guy

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The Bloop posted:

It occurred to me almost immediately (and I have no idea if it was the authors' intent, but probably) that the titular Walking Dead are the living, not the zombies (also lol that no one ever says "zombie" in like 14 seasons of zombie shows)

Not sure how you came to this conclusion

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Chad Jihad posted:

Not sure how you came to this conclusion

Pretty obviously from my post by watching the show not reading the comics

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

nexus6 posted:

Or Shaun of the Dead
I think that dogs are like zombies and just kind of look up arbitrarily.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Man not only did that show get like 50 seasons they even made spin-off comics of it? Jeeze, talk about stomping a franchise into the ground.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

organburner posted:

Man not only did that show get like 50 seasons they even made spin-off comics of it? Jeeze, talk about stomping a franchise into the ground.

Full of plot-holes too:

I mean which is it?! Sloppy

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

organburner posted:

The Walking Dead? Didn't that start as a comic and then adapted into a TV series (then an adventure game series, then a failed fps, then a VR game)? Unless :thejoke:

They did run it into the ground, though, I agree.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Velocity Raptor posted:

The Walking Dead? Didn't that start as a comic and then adapted into a TV series (then an adventure game series, then a failed fps, then a VR game)? Unless :thejoke:

:thejoke:

There are three (3) theatrical movies in the works as well

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Velocity Raptor posted:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

barbecue at the folks posted:

I know you're supposed to rag on gimmicky romance novels (they're for Girls and therefore must be ridiculed!) for being formulaic dogshit (unlike, let's say, 90% of any genre literature anywhere) but seriously, a novel about regular people just dealing with life after the apocalypse and falling in love and maybe doing alright in the end sounds like just the kind of chill jam I could go for after the last few years :unsmith:

You should read Farnham's Freehold. At the end, it's just a man and his love, running a small post apocalyptic trading station.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Read a short story or something in which the global zombie plague starts up and the narrator follows human trying to cope with it. Came up with an elegant solution to the upcoming zombie problem: knock out all the teeth of every living human. Overnight. Can't remember how it worked out, but you gotta give em points for pragmatism!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Cocaine Bear posted:

Read a short story or something in which the global zombie plague starts up and the narrator follows human trying to cope with it. Came up with an elegant solution to the upcoming zombie problem: knock out all the teeth of every living human. Overnight. Can't remember how it worked out, but you gotta give em points for pragmatism!

That's what North Korea does in World War Z, because oh those wacky North Koreans right guys? right????

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

vyelkin posted:

That's what North Korea does in World War Z, because oh those wacky North Koreans right guys? right????

Canada just made everyone wear hockey skates at all time, leaving them useless as zombies (unless they're on the ice, then watch out!)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The Chad Jihad posted:

Full of plot-holes too:

I mean which is it?! Sloppy

The dead can't walk all the time. Sometimes they are the standing dead, sometimes they are the sitting or even the lying down dead.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Paladinus posted:

The dead can't walk all the time. Sometimes they are the standing dead, sometimes they are the sitting or even the lying down dead.

When you get flying dead, that's when to really watch out

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

vyelkin posted:

World War Z was funnier: North Korea moves their entire population into massive underground bunkers and nobody knows if they’re alive and well down there or it’ll be millions upon millions of zombies if they open it up.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

CainFortea posted:

You should read Farnham's Freehold.
Reported for advocating self-harm

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I enjoy this FOTM meme a lot, I feel people focus on the "Think!" part too much over the IMO funnier "Why did you make me do this" parts though

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

fartknocker posted:

World War Z was funnier: North Korea moves their entire population into massive underground bunkers and nobody knows if they’re alive and well down there or it’ll be millions upon millions of zombies if they open it up.

Love that Korea has the resources for this sort of thing while switzerland, which actually has massive underground bunkers for the populace, probably goes unmentioned

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Paladinus posted:

In that case it turned out to be The Screaming Dead

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Bloop posted:

There are definitely only tainted heroes on that series. Even the obvious initial protagonist gets his hands dirty quickly and stops thinking of himself as The Good Guy

The movie Us also gets a lot close to showing zombies as the Other.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

The Bloop posted:

Taint Hero was my favorite video game series, shame about the required peripherals though

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Taint Hero was my favorite video game series, shame about the required peripherals though

Best implementation of waggle and hd rumble ever imo

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Nothing beats the original arcade experience

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Stexils posted:

this is possibly the lowest bar ever

the vast majority of zombie stories are written by people who seem to just kind of hate humanity in general. like they think that the instant central authority collapses everyone will turn into a petty little self centered rear end in a top hat. even within the ultimate libertarian fantasy libertarian societies immediately fall apart

"What if humans are the real monsters?" sounds really cool and profound the first time you encounter it. After a while it's just exhausting and you stop caring about saving the survivors because humans suck.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Saw a meme recently, about the new RE. It wasn't solely focused on big lady. I think it was making fun of the what I assume is protagonist. Seen on the forums within last few days but I've been playing catchup so no clue how many pages

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
There might be meme potential in RE8’s protagonist having an absolutely silly amount of hand violence inflicted upon him.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

"What if humans are the real monsters?" sounds really cool and profound the first time you encounter it. After a while it's just exhausting and you stop caring about saving the survivors because humans suck.

Aaaaah! Real Monsters!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Facebook Aunt posted:

lmao at the goku slipped in there

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Goku isn't even human!

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

I'm ignorant, what media do I need to consume for these to make sense?

(not the American Civil War, Thomas the Tank Engine, the Simpsons, Fallout or Dragonball Z, I already know about those :v:)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Heath posted:

Goku isn't even human!

Humans and Gokus are the real monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

mrpwase posted:

I'm ignorant, what media do I need to consume for these to make sense?

(not the American Civil War, Thomas the Tank Engine, the Simpsons, Fallout or Dragonball Z, I already know about those :v:)

Invincible on Amazon streaming.