Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Yeah, definitely bind a milestone to Rivendell when the storyline takes you there. The Middle-Earth equivalent of "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" is "If You Deliver Elrond's Message", except the mouse changes what it wants and Elrond just wants to keep sending messages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Babe Magnet posted:

beats the other kind of lotro quest: guy in location A tells you to talk to guy in location B on the other side of the zone, who tells you go to back to guy in location A, who teleports you to location B but then makes you walk back to location A only to tell you to go to location B (because location B is near the exit to the zone).

If you're following the Book questlines (because you've over-leveled or whatever) you get hit with three of those around level 30, and could easily run around for an hour without even seeing a bandit lol
That is pretty lore appropriate though - lot o'walkin' in the tolkienverse :D

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

There is a reason I have often referred to LOTRO as a Middle Earth travel simulator.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

I'm lurking around twitch to see who is streaming lotro, and I happened to notice this amazing quickbar layout:

At first I thought it was smart for the hotkey aspect, but he's clicking the buttons so the benefit is lost :D

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

fenix down posted:

I'm lurking around twitch to see who is streaming lotro, and I happened to notice this amazing quickbar layout:

At first I thought it was smart for the hotkey aspect, but he's clicking the buttons so the benefit is lost :D

Wait, how do you do that? I only saw options for vertical or horizontal.

Would love to set up two quick bars that were shaped like my mouse’s side buttons (3x4).

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Pretty sure it's 5 extra rows, just most of the spots are empty.

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 11, 2021

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

beats the other kind of lotro quest: guy in location A tells you to talk to guy in location B on the other side of the zone, who tells you go to back to guy in location A, who teleports you to location B but then makes you walk back to location A only to tell you to go to location B (because location B is near the exit to the zone).

If you're following the Book questlines (because you've over-leveled or whatever) you get hit with three of those around level 30, and could easily run around for an hour without even seeing a bandit lol

lol yeah i'd never do the epic questline on a class that doesn't have instant fast travel options

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

HPanda posted:

Wait, how do you do that? I only saw options for vertical or horizontal.

Would love to set up two quick bars that were shaped like my mouse’s side buttons (3x4).
If you hit ctrl+\ you can move the quickbars around to wherever you want them.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

fenix down posted:

If you hit ctrl+\ you can move the quickbars around to wherever you want them.

I’ve done that a bit, but no way to change their shape that I can see. Just vertical/horizontal and placement for the whole bar line.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

HPanda posted:

I’ve done that a bit, but no way to change their shape that I can see. Just vertical/horizontal and placement for the whole bar line.

Look in the toolbar options and you have to check something like "quickbar 1/2/3/4/5" or something, then you can change their layout.

I hated those Evendim hobbit quests so much. They're worth a couple of levels, though, and getting out of Evendim at the highest level possible is a definite good thing to quickly get into Moria

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

HPanda posted:

Ah yeah I guess there's a limit to the fine tuning. I thought you meant that you would bind the mouse buttons to use 4 on quickbar 4 and 3 on quickbar 5.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Level 50 is the highest I can get without buying the little expansion packs, yeah? I'm approaching that on one character, might level another before I buy in.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

Level 50 is the highest I can get without buying the little expansion packs, yeah? I'm approaching that on one character, might level another before I buy in.

There’s no F2P-specific level cap, so theoretically you could go all the way to 130 without buying anything at all.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

oh dope

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I assume they still occasionally put the region bundles on sale, too, so you might try out another class's early levels or grind crafts or something and wait for a sale to buy more regional quest content.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

if/when you decide to move on to actual expansion content, this is still a pretty good deal. $17 gets you the first four expansions and enough poo poo to do to keep you busy until lvl85 (at least).

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

The anniversary token outfits looked a little too aggressive for my minstrel, so i went with one of the older ones

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Comrade Koba posted:

if/when you decide to move on to actual expansion content, this is still a pretty good deal. $17 gets you the first four expansions and enough poo poo to do to keep you busy until lvl85 (at least).

is this a steam key? I might go ahead and grab it now lol

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Was digging through old screenshots and figured I would post an album of some Nazgun shenanigans.

https://imgur.com/a/WAUGAPL

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

fenix down posted:

Was digging through old screenshots and figured I would post an album of some Nazgun shenanigans.

Some of those names bring back memories, Moria was a pretty fun time for Nazgun.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

fenix down posted:

drat there’s a lot of old names on there.

One thing I’ll probably always remember is Oswolf getting killed in a town area by a GM. Kitsune I believe?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

is this a steam key? I might go ahead and grab it now lol

no, you redeem it through the in-game store. no idea if it works on steam-installed versions.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

boutta find out

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Just saw this, nice!

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I forgot how much the elves in Rivendell hate all living things. Every animal in the Trollshaws is up for a hunting quest. So many bear asses

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Probably because they're a race of spirits given flesh or whatever the exact deal is in the lore. Sailing to the west is what they do when they can't deal with being around biology anymore.

Though that raises the question of why they decided to take a couple of hobbits with them. I assume Frodo and Bilbo were unceremoniously shoved overboard at some point on the way.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Frodo et al just get to spend some time in heaven before they die and go to real heaven

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
Hm, is the LOTRO Store supposed to work? I'm clicking the button in-game, but it only opens a 404 in my browser.

https://www.lotro.com/LOTROStore

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Zam Wesell posted:

Hm, is the LOTRO Store supposed to work? I'm clicking the button in-game, but it only opens a 404 in my browser.

https://www.lotro.com/LOTROStore

I think you need to be logged in with your account. I can always get to it in-game, but not just directly from a browser.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
Weird. I’m def logged in, I can see my 10 coins and account name in the top right, but get an error message in the middle of the screen. Tried blocking all Firefox addons on the domain as well…

After playing a few hours, what strikes me is how peaceful and just nice it is to run around in this game. Not a constant mess of sound and particle effects and constantly instancing in and out of «epic moments». I think the calmness of old school MMOs is something I’ve been missing. Also, the super active World chat makes it seem like there’re loads more playing this game than most other MMOs where no one is talking.

Not feeling the combat though. I quite like tab target and hotkeys in games like WoW and SWTOR, and to a lesser extent FF14 (it’s so slow). This game seems slow and unresponsive so far, maybe that’ll change.

Edit: Figured out why the store didn't work. Turns out my Firefox settings were a bit too strict with regards to the tracking settings.

Zam Wesell fucked around with this message at 10:31 on May 24, 2021

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Do you use "activate on key press" in WoW or "activate on key depress"? That would be my first guess as to why LOTRO feels slower to you; a lot of early MMOs use on-depress, but WoW had a popular mod that they eventually built into the client to allow on-press. However, LOTRO also has something like 4 different ways skills can interact with GCD. Your go-to skills might be ones with longer delays.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Zam Wesell posted:

Not feeling the combat though. I quite like tab target and hotkeys in games like WoW and SWTOR, and to a lesser extent FF14 (it’s so slow). This game seems slow and unresponsive so far, maybe that’ll change.
Try a different class. I started with hunter, but it was mostly a turret with long cast times. Minstrel is a lot more active. Running around shouting at things is fun.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I also found that some classes just feel less impactful, at least at the early stages. Weirdly, Minstrel feels like their attacks have some actual impact to them, moreso to me than something like Champion or Hunter. Minstrels are definitely glass cannons, but they at least seem to have the cannon part at the proper level to be fun to play.

Bear is also fun. Bears throw bees at orcs. I have a bear scholar. She throws bees at people when they interrupt her studying an ancient ruin.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

If you want an extra challenge, try a burglar.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

Started out with hunter, but switched over to champion. It's okay, maybe I'll give minstrel a shot?

Also, I have this rental mount thing for another 8 hrs or something. There's no way I'm going back to not having a mount. What's the easiest/cheapeast way of acquiring a mount in this game?

e: Another thing, is this a game where I should be doing sidequests? Or is following the main quest enough? Everything is really easy so far, but I'm only level 11 so.

Zam Wesell fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 24, 2021

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Zam Wesell posted:

Started out with hunter, but switched over to champion. It's okay, maybe I'll give minstrel a shot?

Also, I have this rental mount thing for another 8 hrs or something. There's no way I'm going back to not having a mount. What's the easiest/cheapeast way of acquiring a mount in this game?

e: Another thing, is this a game where I should be doing sidequests? Or is following the main quest enough? Everything is really easy so far, but I'm only level 11 so.
You can unlock the riding skill for 95 lotro coins, but I'm not sure the easiest way to get a horse. You may be able to just buy one outright from the farm north of Bree. If you need cash and are on Landroval I could send you some.

As far as sidequests, you won't need that many to stay on-level with the main story. I've been doing a bunch of them, and now I'm 5 levels above the requirement for the story quests I'm on. :D

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
there are so many quests, overleveling entire zones is definitely a thing and you will have to skip a bunch of it, so try not to worry too much

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

fenix down posted:

You can unlock the riding skill for 95 lotro coins, but I'm not sure the easiest way to get a horse. You may be able to just buy one outright from the farm north of Bree. If you need cash and are on Landroval I could send you some.

as VIP, you get a quest at level 20 to unlock riding. As non-VIP, the only way is to buy the riding skill with LOTRO points.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

I forgot, is there any way to unlock account-wide riding for all your characters aside from that Samwise Gamgee pack for :10bux:?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

Comrade Koba posted:

I forgot, is there any way to unlock account-wide riding for all your characters aside from that Samwise Gamgee pack for :10bux:?

Seems like it?