Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I have a level four iron mace and it still takes forever to work through bonemass. He’s such an HP sponge.

I like the idea of leveling the ground around him so that I don’t have to dodge the water and leeches. That’s clever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Scruffpuff posted:

I love my Frostner, but the excessive knockback makes it difficult to use combo attacks against goblins, and that third swing is the haymaker. You chew them up more quickly with swords. That said, for groups, knockback comes back into fashion because it's more about crowd control than speed. I kinda like it - each weapon is a tool that you choose for the situation you're in.

Yeah I suppose that by the time the plains roll around, and debatably in the mountains, that swords and atgeirs become really useful. That said until then a mace in the bronze/iron age is great.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I have a level four iron mace and it still takes forever to work through bonemass. He’s such an HP sponge.

I like the idea of leveling the ground around him so that I don’t have to dodge the water and leeches. That’s clever.
drat, I can't imagine spending the time to get all the iron to fully upgrade the mace, and really don't think it takes that long to kill him either. Maybe if you're farming him for some reason it could get tedious but I think it took me about as long to kill him as it did Eikthyr, and less than time fire-arrows on the Elder. None of the bosses have outstayed their welcome so far.

And I like the swamps kind of encouraging you to terraform them as a way of gently encouraging you to do the same to the bonemass fight area. A finished swamp is pretty satisfying.

Do guck clusters regrow?

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 10, 2021

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So I found my first swamp biome today, and of course forgot to bring the key, but not a big deal since I was really only exploring and getting my feet wet, and harvesting some draugr so I could make some sausages and come back with better food.

Fishing is really annoying and slow, but it's my 2nd best food right now until I get my carrot garden up and running (I discovered that the local wildlife will eat it so had to fence and start over, doh).

Since I found the swamp biome and scouted to make sure it was big enough to hopefully keep me busy for a while, I made a building for my portal in that area, and since I need a place to park the boat anyway, I decided to make it a boathouse.

I spent way too much time and food building this silly thing. While it was under construction and before I dug the moat, it was regularly getting attacked by the local fauna. What's the normal way to deal with that, just put up the big wooden palisade walls, or will they just attack that anyway? I kind of wanted to have this without the outer walls at all, but after it got attacked numerous times I dug the moat and added the front bridge exit.

My main base has never been attacked other than those event things (which strangely haven't happened since I posted about them), but this portal location which is in a meadow biome seems to attract annoying little dudes on the regular.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

The Locator posted:

I spent way too much time and food building this silly thing. While it was under construction and before I dug the moat, it was regularly getting attacked by the local fauna. What's the normal way to deal with that, just put up the big wooden palisade walls, or will they just attack that anyway? I kind of wanted to have this without the outer walls at all, but after it got attacked numerous times I dug the moat and added the front bridge exit.

My main base has never been attacked other than those event things (which strangely haven't happened since I posted about them), but this portal location which is in a meadow biome seems to attract annoying little dudes on the regular.

I don't have the pattern down 100%, but playing in numerous worlds and building more outposts than I care to remember, one thing I've noticed is that mobs tend to have spawn and patrol behavior patterns, particularly linked to time of day. They're also attracted to noise. If you're near enough to a heavy spawn, just your regular activity in the base will be enough to get them to come sniffing around. Fences can help with that to some degree - if they can't path to what they hear, they can't spot you, and the visual on you is what seems to trigger their desire to start knocking down obstacles. It's not just that, though - I've got one spot in the meadows, not far from black forest, that's always swarming at night. I've made myself a little elevated spot to watch stuff, and once the sun goes down, I'll crouch to stay out of sight, and the mobs all come running out and just surround the base. Many of them get stuck against the fence. They don't hit anything, they just come out and mill around until dawn, then scuttle back into the forest. My other bases don't have that behavior, just this one.

So it seems that you can wind up building in a "busy" spot. Some people recommend building shitloads of workbenches to limit spawns, I find that to be more trouble than it's worth personally, particularly since you can't be sure where stuff spawns so you wind up just littering the landscape with workbenches. I'm not even sure there are hard spawn spots, they might just spawn in a general area.

I try to put walls around everything. It definitely helps with quality of life, and there's something oddly disquieting about something hitting the wall of your house vs. it hitting a fence some distance off. Even in a game it kinda gives me the creeps.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
RE: Swamp bases, just build a tree house. The fallen trees where one branch juts up diagonally can be used as a place to put your stairs. If the fallen tree's branch 'points' to another tree or group of trees, it's really easy.

Also, a protip for building in the air - a horizontal half-piece of wood connected to a floor tile will allow a full-size log to be placed half way on that floor tile and halfway out into the air, which can then in turn receive another floor tile, etc...

Also, I'm 99% sure Guck doesn't ever respawn.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Noone used mace or arrows the first time we 5 manned Bonemass on my server. Everyone just brought whatever they had.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

OwlFancier posted:

Depending on how you set up your base defences if you dig a moat, you can fairly reliably get gobbos to fall in and end up wet, which causes frost damage to do more damage.
Wait but I dig moats so I can ignore the invasions

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
We killed bonemass fine the first time though IIRC someone had a Frostner which helped a lot.

I killed him OK solo with the iron mace, but when he was down to the last 5 or so per cent I just went ham and ignored the poison cloud, and died from it after he'd died, because I couldn't be bothered waiting for another loop.

And I don;t think I used another power after getting Bonemass, it's just such a boon to survivability, and I almost never sail.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
I do appreciate how single player you're like analyzing boss patterns and learning how to go several minutes without taking one point of damage, then multiplayer its just max unga bunga with everyone screaming in voice chat. Both equally valid ways to succeed although you can guess which one involved doing 10 corpse runs.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I really hated doing the bosses with my group because there was 8 of us and every single boss was a teleporting fiesta of poo poo, whereas doing it solo or with one or two friends it was ridiculously smooth in comparison

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Magmarashi posted:

Me and my wife did kite and shoot on bonemass ezpz

Maybe not OPTIMAL but it was completely doable

It took me until Bonemass to realize dodging prevented ALL damage.

Then you realize that you only have to run away from Bonemass's AoE attack and the the rest of the time you can hug his slimy little shins with a mace.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Continuing my silly playthrough, I found iron on the hillside adjacent to the swamp to get an early stonecutter, and have now found a silver vein next to the moder summon

Have yet to kill bonemass or make anything besides a level 1 iron pickaxe

Fully upgraded bronze gear is getting me way, way farther than expected. Can eat a bunch of hits from fulings when I forget to equip my shield, etc.

Oh yeah and I refused to use bows this run, drakes have been a huge problem. No way I can fight moder without one I assume

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 10, 2021

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I haven't used bows since the very beginning of the game. First because my mouse was a bit poo poo and the game is VERY strict about its hold-duration, meaning even a slight stutter releases your arrow early, and now because despite having a new mouse I realized it was just more fun not using them.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Moder lands to fight on the ground periodically so you could beat him that way.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
You could also fill your inventory with spears! Heave ho

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Phigs posted:

Moder lands to fight on the ground periodically so you could beat him that way.

Moder's female, it's in the lore and everything =) She's the one who lays the eggs the male drakes spawn guarding.

Yeah, the most difficult thing to deal with in the whole game without range will be Drakes, followed closely by Fuling villages, since getting them to aggro without drawing the entire drat village will be tricky.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

Moder's female, it's in the lore and everything =) She's the one who lays the eggs the male drakes spawn guarding.

Yeah, the most difficult thing to deal with in the whole game without range will be Drakes, followed closely by Fuling villages, since getting them to aggro without drawing the entire drat village will be tricky.

They could just chuck spears at Fulings. Sure it's expensive and probably impractical, but the game is built on a mountain of cheese so

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

AmbientParadox posted:

They could just chuck spears at Fulings. Sure it's expensive and probably impractical, but the game is built on a mountain of cheese so

Ooze bombs, people.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So I found a swamp biome with a bunch of crypts that is on a seashore. Can I safely park my boat on the shoreline and haul iron to it for storage for the eventual trip home, or will the mobs attack and destroy it while I'm in the crypts or the swamp away from the boat?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

You're better off deconstructing boats either way since heavy weather will eventually break them unless they're in very deep water.

They are only spawned whilst you're in the overworld though, IIRC - when you're in a crypt you're out of render range of the overworld, so there's nothing to kill them.

You're better off breaking the boat, building a treehouse, and sticking it in a chest in a treehouse.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Breaking up and storing the boat is the safest option, to be sure, but I've parked for many in-game days in that scenario and never lost a boat

Mobs go into a 'stasis' (or don't even spawn) unless a player is nearby, so they won't attack it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, things outside render range of players just plain don't exist until players are in range. There's no active overworld where mobs spawn and act without players present, and when you're in a dungeon you're outside render range of the overworld (I understand they take place very high up in the sky, above the skybox, to keep your position relative to the map accurate).

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

thespaceinvader posted:

You're better off deconstructing boats either way since heavy weather will eventually break them unless they're in very deep water.

They are only spawned whilst you're in the overworld though, IIRC - when you're in a crypt you're out of render range of the overworld, so there's nothing to kill them.

You're better off breaking the boat, building a treehouse, and sticking it in a chest in a treehouse.

I just had the scenario that my boat got destroyed while mining in the crypt by a single skeleton which wasn't there when I entered the crypt, so better be safe.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Just don't park your ship immediately next to the shore. Most enemies can't attack any more than you can while swimming.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Mobs will only attack boats if they can't get to you. Either by you standing in the boat or if you're behind a wall or similar.

You also don't have to worry about weather/waves battering your boat on the shore in the swamp because the only weather there is the constant drizzle.

tbh, I find the whole thought of manually breaking my boat each time I leave it unnecessarily tedious.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I've pretty much given up on trying to micromanage boats. I've had boats straight up disappear before. Since this isn't boat simulator, I just use cheats to spawn them as needed.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Weird, i've never had a boat disappear on me in the 200 or so hours I played this for.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

For short term docking, I always land at a large rock sticking out from the shore, and then build a further pier from that, to keep the boat as far away from shore as possible.

For long term docking, the boat goes back in the chest.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Natural inlets are often safe because water that is inland is always calm. Deep water is also relatively safe, the issue is the littoral zone where it still receives major storm swells but is shallow enough that the boat hits the seabed during them.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i always just break down boats immediately once i get to shore. first thing once i've landed somewhere fresh is get ashore, put my portal up, and smack my boat til i get the pieces back. then i usually drop off the boat parts back at base. unless you got a cool dock where you want a boat hanging out, no reason to have boats sitting around.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Or just put it on a simple post+platform, literally anything that's off the ground by a bit becomes untargetable it seems.

Kibayasu posted:

Just don't park your ship immediately next to the shore. Most enemies can't attack any more than you can while swimming.

This is just wrong. Enemies can attack while swimming just fine. I can't think of an attack an enemy in the game can make at all that they can't make while swimming. Trolls can still do both swings, greylings can still punch and throw rocks, archers can still shoot just fine from under water, etc. and so on.

Rectovagitron
Mar 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The easiest for me is to bring portals with me and just portal in boat components when I need to one, as they're all portal safe. We didn't end up using boats on our server until portal components were trivial to acquire anyway.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

cams posted:

i always just break down boats immediately once i get to shore. first thing once i've landed somewhere fresh is get ashore, put my portal up, and smack my boat til i get the pieces back. then i usually drop off the boat parts back at base. unless you got a cool dock where you want a boat hanging out, no reason to have boats sitting around.

I'm just going to voice my opinion that beating down my 1000hp Longship until it breaks every time I get out of it is never something I will do just due to the sheer absurdity of it.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
If I'm out exploring, once I reach whatever arbitrary end-point I can, I drop a portal and break down my ship to take it home. Other than that I haven't had an issue with a ship floating away or being significantly destroyed by the environment after that recent patch anyways.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I mash my longship as close to the shore as possible and if it breaks (which doesn't happen often) I scoop up the materials and remake it. It takes a few in-game days for stuff to get garbage collected so it's not much of a stressor. There's always a portal nearby so I can go get more nails too.

Usually don't need a diving board to get the nails, that's only a problem if I parked over deeper water.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

xzzy posted:

Usually don't need a diving board to get the nails, that's only a problem if I parked over deeper water.

A what now?

scopes
Jun 5, 2004

DelphiAegis posted:

A what now?

Since there's no real way to intentionally swim underwater but for the dip you take when falling in from heights, building a quick structure and jumping into the water is the only way to get to things too deep to reach when swimming.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Floppychop posted:

I'm just going to voice my opinion that beating down my 1000hp Longship until it breaks every time I get out of it is never something I will do just due to the sheer absurdity of it.

but it levels up your weapon, too!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I never use longships anyway, the deeper draft makes them way harder to actually get around in, and in solo the extra seats are unnecessary.

But then, I sail as little as possible, I really don't find it that engaging as a single player experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

I never use longships anyway, the deeper draft makes them way harder to actually get around in, and in solo the extra seats are unnecessary.

But then, I sail as little as possible, I really don't find it that engaging as a single player experience.

I use it purely to haul metals around thanks to the storage size but otherwise yeah, it's all karve all the time.