Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

KingKapalone posted:

Has anyone fished Lake Vermilion in Minnesota? We're going up next weekend four walleye. We'll be on the west side if you have any tips. It sounds like jig and minnow are the best bet for walleye right now.
Yeah it's all about the jig and minnow on the fishing opener. I haven't fished Vermilion or anything up that way except Lake of the Woods. The weather looks good so it'll probably be nuts. I like to look shallow for warmer water and feeding walleyes, but it's such a crap shoot that all I can really say is "Good Luck!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I have always wondered about what fishing is like for you northerners. Since you only get part of the year to fish with good weather, I would think it always gets super busy.

Texas is just busy all the time so I am use to it.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Dik Hz posted:

Yeah it's all about the jig and minnow on the fishing opener. I haven't fished Vermilion or anything up that way except Lake of the Woods. The weather looks good so it'll probably be nuts. I like to look shallow for warmer water and feeding walleyes, but it's such a crap shoot that all I can really say is "Good Luck!"

I've heard long shallow flats like 10-12 feet. We'll try bass and pike if we need to.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Sickening posted:

I have always wondered about what fishing is like for you northerners. Since you only get part of the year to fish with good weather, I would think it always gets super busy.

Walleye opener used to be ridiculous here. It's like the circus comes to the boat launch. Guys shitfaced drunk trying to start a boat they haven't touched since the year before's opener. 6 boats can launch at once and someone always jackknifes the trailer and blocks half of them. Boats falling off trailers, trucks sliding into the water, some dude with a pontoon boat and barrel of beer just egging everyone on. A friend of mine bought a house across the street from a boat launch. He woke up on opening day to find ten trucks parked on his front lawn. He put up a no-parking sign and the next day awoke to ten trucks in his lawn and a crushed no parking sign. So he drug out his welder and put a tack weld on each of the ball-hitch connections.

It's not so crazy anymore, but more likely because of the fish laundering that was/is going on. Numbers are way down from where they should be.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Yooper posted:

It's not so crazy anymore, but more likely because of the fish laundering that was/is going on. Numbers are way down from where they should be.

What is fish laundering?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sickening posted:

What is fish laundering?

To conceal the source of fish as by channeling it through an intermediary.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

To conceal the source of fish as by channeling it through an intermediary.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Sickening posted:

Ice fishing is a thing, and it's great

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Ghostnuke posted:

Ice fishing is a thing, and it's great

Yeah I’m not disputing that, but I think we can all agree with ice fishing that it’s probably slightly less busy and has slightly better parking situation. just not having to deal with boat ramp congestion Hass to be pretty bad rear end.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.

Sickening posted:

Yeah I’m not disputing that, but I think we can all agree with ice fishing that it’s probably slightly less busy and has slightly better parking situation. just not having to deal with boat ramp congestion Hass to be pretty bad rear end.

My favorite lake to go to during winter is a well known spot. By January the parking lot is full so people just park on the ice.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I still had a christmas gift card floating around and the urge to pick up another rod and reel for freshwater so I grabbed a Black Max baitcast combo and a couple topwater lures so I could rig a couple each time and not spend so much time tying knots each time out. gently caress yes.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

I still had a christmas gift card floating around and the urge to pick up another rod and reel for freshwater so I grabbed a Black Max baitcast combo and a couple topwater lures so I could rig a couple each time and not spend so much time tying knots each time out. gently caress yes.

I don't think they are bad, but man those shimano slx's are incredible baitcasters for the money. Depending on how much you fish, will probably last you a lifetime.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Things i have never caught a fish with:

Any topwater bait

Any panther martin / mepps etc. inline trout spinner

A couple of years ago i was fishing my usual spot at the canal and a guy strolls up, starts casting a buzzbait, and on the second cast he gets a northern. He catches 2 more pike in the next 10 minutes, then wanders down to the beach to cast.

I immediately pack my gear and run to the store. I couldn't find a single buzzbait but i did find a big fat topwater buzz plug. I was back at the same spot in less than 40 minutes with a line in the water. I never got a single hit on that bait.

I still fish it out of spite

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I have a ~4" 1/3rd lecustic (front), 2/3rd normal (back) piebald Bluegill!!!

Never seen a Bluegill morph before and if it's gotten this big it should survive.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Sickening posted:

I don't think they are bad, but man those shimano slx's are incredible baitcasters for the money. Depending on how much you fish, will probably last you a lifetime.

Oh I’m sure I’ve just never used a bait caster and the Blackmax was heavily recommended here last year. If it goes well and I get the hang of it I’ll pick up a “nicer” one later on.

I’ve been fully bit by this...ugh. It’s gonna get expensive at some point I can tell.

I’ve already been looking at kayaks. :ohdear:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Oh I’m sure I’ve just never used a bait caster and the Blackmax was heavily recommended here last year. If it goes well and I get the hang of it I’ll pick up a “nicer” one later on.

I’ve been fully bit by this...ugh. It’s gonna get expensive at some point I can tell.

The Blackmax is a decent entry-level. There are definitely nicer options out there, but the Blackmax combo is still a solid choice for the money.

If you want to talk kayaks (or anything else), consider joining us on the fishing discord: https://discord.gg/SupMruhb

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

There is a lot of advise out there for kayaks. The best advise I can offer is to try before you buy if possible. The bigger kayak dealers have events where you can test the product, please do so.

Also, get one with peddles because paddling and holding a fishing rod is frustrating, some love it though so results may vary.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Sickening posted:

There is a lot of advise out there for kayaks. The best advise I can offer is to try before you buy if possible. The bigger kayak dealers have events where you can test the product, please do so.

Also, get one with peddles because paddling and holding a fishing rod is frustrating, some love it though so results may vary.

Peddles are great but increase the base price significantly. $200-300 vs $1,000-5,000.

Anybody trying to paddle with a rod in their hand should invest in one or more rod holders. They aren't expensive to buy and even cheaper to make.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Anybody trying to paddle with a rod in their hand should invest in one or more rod holders. They aren't expensive to buy and even cheaper to make.

Its not so straight forward as that. You need to paddle more than just getting to the spot, you need to adjust position after casts, because of wind, and about everything else that moves the kayak. Your paddle is mostly in your lap while you are casting and then you have to swap between them for every little thing. It can be very frustrating at time. Peddle kayaks are way less frustrating.

I won't argue on price, although getting a used one offers some pretty big discounts.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I worked as a sea kayak and canoe guide for awhile in college (gently caress, that was over 15yrs ago :corsair:) so I know enough to make sure to get a long tryout. I’ve tried some fishing from rec kayaks but only out of necessity.

My inner monologue is scoffing at the pedals but I know the paddle strokes will be much much different than a sleek little 18’ sea kayak, so I need to be open to whatever makes the fishing easier.

It’ll be a hard sell to my wife, but I’m already salivating pretty hard at the possibilities.

Wilderness Systems still the bombass fishing yak master or has someone else come along and claimed it?

The Blackmax is a decent entry-level. There are definitely nicer options out there, but the Blackmax combo is still a solid choice for the money.

Yeah that’s all I was looking for really—entry-level. I’d like to get a good feel for using one and it seemed to get really good reviews for an 80$ combo.

Once I get used to it I’m more likely to splurge on something a bit more robust.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Sickening posted:

Its not so straight forward as that. You need to paddle more than just getting to the spot, you need to adjust position after casts, because of wind, and about everything else that moves the kayak. Your paddle is mostly in your lap while you are casting and then you have to swap between them for every little thing. It can be very frustrating at time. Peddle kayaks are way less frustrating.

I won't argue on price, although getting a used one offers some pretty big discounts.

Yeah, peddle kayaks are superior in basically every way save for costing as much as five paddle kayaks or one bass boat. That's way beyond a lot of people's budgets and that is worth keeping in mind. You're going to catch more fish when you get off the bank, but the price of entry doesn't need to be four digits.

It's me, the guy who wants poor people to be able to fish, too.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

titties posted:

Things i have never caught a fish with:

Any topwater bait

Any panther martin / mepps etc. inline trout spinner

A couple of years ago i was fishing my usual spot at the canal and a guy strolls up, starts casting a buzzbait, and on the second cast he gets a northern. He catches 2 more pike in the next 10 minutes, then wanders down to the beach to cast.

I immediately pack my gear and run to the store. I couldn't find a single buzzbait but i did find a big fat topwater buzz plug. I was back at the same spot in less than 40 minutes with a line in the water. I never got a single hit on that bait.

I still fish it out of spite

:wth: I thought fishing with spinners was easy mode? I think I've caught just about every species of game fish swimming in Ontario on spinners. Smallies are especially fond of them. They've been so effective I bought a kit to make my own so they're not so expensive to lose

I agree about the top water stuff tho, I think I've only ever caught young bluegills during spawning season when they're out in packs attacking everything they see with them

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
The only topwater bait I've caught a fish on was on the first cast of a buzz bait early in the morning on a private pond that hadn't seen a fisherman in probably 7 years. Otherwise every frog, super spook variation or other floating bait has been fruitless for me. For some reason I've caught only catfish on spinnerbaits/beetlespins and caught nothing on chatterbaits, which I'm reluctant to use since they're expensive and the easist lure for me to lose to snags.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
I caught one largemouth on a frog. That's it in like 3 years.

All the bass guys around here swear by them and I see them catching on them but the bass do not like my topwater lures specifically.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ihop posted:

The only topwater bait I've caught a fish on was on the first cast of a buzz bait early in the morning on a private pond that hadn't seen a fisherman in probably 7 years. Otherwise every frog, super spook variation or other floating bait has been fruitless for me. For some reason I've caught only catfish on spinnerbaits/beetlespins and caught nothing on chatterbaits, which I'm reluctant to use since they're expensive and the easist lure for me to lose to snags.

I feel like the berkley choppo is pretty solid as far as top water goes. But I also use it to catch striper, so I am biased.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Sickening posted:

What is fish laundering?

So if you are poaching fish and suddenly try to sell a thousand pounds of walleye you get in trouble. There is supposed to be a chain of custody from the commercial fisherman, to the dealers, to the bar down the street. The bay near me is/was stocked with millions of walleye fry every year by the DNR and various fishing groups. But the fishing never really seemed to get any better. People theorized it was anything from the fish migrating out as the waters could only hold so many fish to disease to poaching.

What was happening is they were being poached through the ice in gill nets and sold through a a dealer who was able to cook the books to hide the origins. Eventually the discrepancy came to light and the operation was discovered. Here's a link to the original news release.

The tl;dr of it all is there was a tribal twist to the plot that led to the accused basically walking away with no penalty. After probably taking over 100,000 lbs of fish if not more. It wasn't uncommon in the summers to run into gillnets of rotting fish.

This led to some really active fishing clubs basically saying gently caress it. They quit stocking and abandoned a lot of the community outreach they were doing in disgust.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Fly rod + Popping bug for bass. Ultimate top water fishing

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Dik Hz posted:

Fly rod + Popping bug for bass. Ultimate top water fishing

:yeah:

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

LeeMajors posted:

Last year I went less than two weeks from buying my first fishing rod to buying a kayak: a $300 Lifetime Tamarack Angler 10' from Tractor Supply, and I don't regret it a bit. I did buy a Crescent CK1 Venture this spring but hung on to the Lifetime boat so I can have a spare for my kayak-less friends. Pedal kayaks are great if you're fishing bigger water, but I'm mostly on ponds, creeks, and small rivers. If you have a place to store it and a way to haul it I say go ahead and buy a cheap one and go from there.

Since we're talking about kayaks and topwater fishing, here's a spotted bass I caught out of my cheap kayak on a 1/4oz buzzbait back in mid-March

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Yooper posted:

The tl;dr of it all is there was a tribal twist to the plot that led to the accused basically walking away with no penalty. After probably taking over 100,000 lbs of fish if not more. It wasn't uncommon in the summers to run into gillnets of rotting fish.

Do you know enough details to tell that story? I'm morbidly curious.

Here's what I was able to piece together, following up some leads from your link and being persistent with Google.

1 - The feds realized they had no jurisdiction.
2 - The Sault Ste. Marie Tribe of Chippewa charged and convicted 3 of the 6 men involved. They were sentenced to ~$15,000 in fines and lifetime forfeiture of their tribal fishing rights.
2.5 - A tribal appeals court overturned that sentence and reduced the 'lifetime forfeiture' to one year, the fine to ~$3350. They did still forfeit their nets and snowmobiles.
3 - The tribe was going to try two other men out of the six the feds identified; I don't know what happened, but I suspect it went similarly.

Does that line up?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Yond Cassius posted:

Do you know enough details to tell that story? I'm morbidly curious.

Here's what I was able to piece together, following up some leads from your link and being persistent with Google.

1 - The feds realized they had no jurisdiction.
2 - The Sault Ste. Marie Tribe of Chippewa charged and convicted 3 of the 6 men involved. They were sentenced to ~$15,000 in fines and lifetime forfeiture of their tribal fishing rights.
2.5 - A tribal appeals court overturned that sentence and reduced the 'lifetime forfeiture' to one year, the fine to ~$3350. They did still forfeit their nets and snowmobiles.
3 - The tribe was going to try two other men out of the six the feds identified; I don't know what happened, but I suspect it went similarly.

Does that line up?

Pretty much. The Michigan DNR was the initiating investigators and, like you said, didn't have jurisdiction. The DNR put a ton of effort into the case too.

Last I heard everyone walked away with misdemeanors.

Tribal fishing rights are a touchy subject around here. It rapidly turns into a really lovely conversation with very polarized opinions.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

:wth: I thought fishing with spinners was easy mode?

It sure seems like it is when my friends do it but i think I'm just bad at fishing.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Yooper posted:

Pretty much. The Michigan DNR was the initiating investigators and, like you said, didn't have jurisdiction. The DNR put a ton of effort into the case too.

Last I heard everyone walked away with misdemeanors.

Tribal fishing rights are a touchy subject around here. It rapidly turns into a really lovely conversation with very polarized opinions.

I've gotten into this conversation and it just boils down to me laughing at veiled racism. I like saying treaty rights matter.

I wrote a lovely paper about Ojibwe fishing rights in the Upper Midwest once. Those are my credentials.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Mukulu posted:

I've gotten into this conversation and it just boils down to me laughing at veiled racism. I like saying treaty rights matter.

I wrote a lovely paper about Ojibwe fishing rights in the Upper Midwest once. Those are my credentials.

This is pretty much it. My sisters in laws first husband was in the Sault tribe, the way he looked at it this was just like anyone else poaching. They have a legal right to a subsistence quantity, but not free rein. He was as pissed about the poaching as anyone else because it made those who did it legally look bad. They want to combat stereotypes as much as the other side wants to perpetuate stereotypes.

The tribe also stocks a ton of Walleye throughout our area.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Yeah, peddle kayaks are superior in basically every way save for costing as much as five paddle kayaks or one bass boat. That's way beyond a lot of people's budgets and that is worth keeping in mind. You're going to catch more fish when you get off the bank, but the price of entry doesn't need to be four digits.

It's me, the guy who wants poor people to be able to fish, too.

If budget is an issue, buying used can always get you heavy discounts if you are patient. I would also advise against 3k+ abominations unless you absolutely love kayaks and have tons of experience with them.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Yooper posted:

This is pretty much it. My sisters in laws first husband was in the Sault tribe, the way he looked at it this was just like anyone else poaching. They have a legal right to a subsistence quantity, but not free rein. He was as pissed about the poaching as anyone else because it made those who did it legally look bad. They want to combat stereotypes as much as the other side wants to perpetuate stereotypes.

The tribe also stocks a ton of Walleye throughout our area.

Yeah, many tribes do a lot for conservation that gets ignored. I really want to go up to Red Lake someday because I've read that the tribe does a lot to preserve the resources up there. Plus they stock sturgeon.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Does anyone have some insight into the back end of how stocking is managed? I'm just curious how they go about raising millions of trout, walleye, etc to dump into lakes every year.. how they identify and access lakes, whatever else.

I've been to some pretty remote lakes that are stocked and like.. how? ATV trails? Float planes? How many liters of water do you need to transport 2000 trout fry? Are they transplanted as fry?... That itself is another assumption. Are there giant tanks of domestic fish they harvest from? So many questions!

Math You fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 13, 2021

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Math You posted:

Does anyone have some insight into the back end of how stocking is managed? I'm just curious how they go about raising millions of trout, walleye, etc to dump into lakes every year.. how they identify and access lakes, whatever else.

I've been to some pretty remote lakes that are stocked and like.. how? ATV trails? Float planes? How many liters of water do you need to transport 2000 trout fry? Are they transplanted as fry?... That itself is another assumption. Are there giant tanks of domestic fish they harvest from? So many questions!

around here they come in a truck that backs up to the water and they all get dumped out a chute

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
you should absolutely try a kayak before you buy. I ended up getting a freelfree lure 13.5 last summer during the height of the pandemic and kayak shortage. I had bux and it was what was available so I got it. The seat is uncomfortable unless its in the highest position. It's tough to keep stable without the rudder kit which is a several hundred dollar add-on. It's less stable than a lot of newer purpose built fishing yaks and therefore a bit more difficult to stand in. At the moment I am considering unloading it and going with a Bonafide SS127.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Math You posted:

https://youtu.be/-8bwZPIzuug

If the lake is pretty remote, they don't even bother landing the plane