Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

THEY'RE MAKIN HIM WATCH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
MI GENTEEE

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i hope this isn't a squash lol

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

HE'S GOT THE BELT

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/DannyLimeLight/status/1391900063211786240?s=20

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

thank you, adr tony

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Nice Meteora.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
It's not adr, Tony just felt like talking through a pringles can.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/voqkxkT.mp4

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MI GENTE

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

This is a dope match.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
holy poo poo that tope

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

DA BLOCKBUSTER

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010
I really like Mox in AEW but it would have been great to see him lose two minute matches against Baron Corbin by DQ.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
lol how bad was Tony's call that they had to re-dub it

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

with da Avalanche Death Rider

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
:staredog:

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

smarxist posted:

lol how bad was Tony's call that they had to re-dub it

They left in him repeatedly calling New Japan "IWGP," so I'm guessing pretty bad

They really gotta get in a PBP dude who knows what things are, especially working alongside a green commentator

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

new japan should change its name to IWGP

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

they get excalibur in the booth but he's only there to laugh at the bad calls

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i know iwgp is a thing. but still

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

xbilkis posted:

They left in him repeatedly calling New Japan "IWGP," so I'm guessing pretty bad

They really gotta get in a PBP dude who knows what things are, especially working alongside a green commentator

In defense of Tony, "International Wrestling Grand Prix" is a great name for a wrestling company, and it's kind of a shame it's just the name of New Japan's titles.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Elevated Darkthoughts

Golly, AEW have a lot of guys to put in the title sequence.

1) David Ali vs Lee Johnson. I like Ali's look. I like Lee's theme remix. I still dislike "big shotty" as a nickname. Solid chain wrestling at the start. This is a well wrestled if unspectacular face vs face match. Nice and technical and proves that Ali's got something, but does more to establish Johnson as dominant, something he hasn't been on Dynamite.

2) Eddie Kingston vs VSK. Hey, is that VSK? Rolls into the ring and directly into a headlock from Kingston. Toney describing the specific shots he wants Kingston to take on Nick Jackson is funny. Nice dodge of the backfist and some good offense from VSK. Props to Kingston for giving him this much. Not much of a match, but it was fine.

3) Fuego Del Sol and Baron Black vs Page and Sky. Honestly I really quite like Page and Sky. I want them to do more, but what they do is perfectly entertaining. Baron Black, I continue to implore you to get different gear. Black looks good here, very hard hitting, stood toe to toe with sky, but they do a good job of showing the experience edge by having him hoodwinked into disadvantage. Fuego ragdolls nicely for Page. Easy win. It's not competence, it's all Fuego.

Danny Limelight interview. This guy is so goodhearted and humble. He's also a really good straightforward talker.

4) THUN-DER RO-SA vs Renee Michelle. Thunder Rosa is so loving cool. She's got that Miyu Yamashita thing of having such iron clad inner confidence that it gives her swagger. Nice bridge from Renee there. This is a bit clumsy as a start, but as soon as they're on their feet and Rosa is in control, it warms up. As time goes on this match goes from okay to good. Rosa is a violence machine, Renee is a damage sponge, and thus our story goes. Great weird submission from Rosa too.

Pretty good Kingston promo, liked the shout out to Renee (different Renee).

5) Chuck Taylor vs Vary Morales. Morales has impressed me so far on Dark. Small, which makes him easy to overlook, but fast and athletic and he gets it in the ring. Kind of want to see him face a hoss in an even match. Jesus, that Chuck knee in the corner snapped Vary's head back like a Pez dispenser. Not a long match, but both guys looked great. And I will never tire of the Rainmaker zoom out for the Best Friends hug.

6) Leyla Hirsch vs Dani Jordyn. It's a crowded field these days, but I think Leyla is my favourite wrestler in the women's division. Just so confident, so competent, so much fun to watch. Dany Jordyn has improved before our eyes on Dark and is at the point where I really hope they've got her on some kind of deal. I love that Leyla makes every match she's in a wrestling match. Other people can do what works for them during it, but Leyla is going to get you on the mat and make you suffer. Nice fightback from Jordyn though. I liked this one.

Dasha interviews Page and Sky. They've got fun absolute dirtbag energy.

7) Matt Sydal vs Manny Smith. I like that you can tell whether you're getting Matt Sydal or Matt & Mike from whether it's My Time To or Our Time To. Manny Smith is a nine piece chicken mcnothing. Sydal is strange and innovative and I love how he's changed up his style from just high flying guy to submissions offense. A match between him and Angelico would be money. Manny gets a bit of personality as the match goes on, but he's not much of anything here.

8) Jade Cargill vs Reka Tehaka. We all know Jade looks good and is getting very competent in the ring. Worth also looking at how hard hitting and strong Tehaka is. Fast and explosive and has real potential. However, this match is all about Jade's vicious precise moves.

Ahahaha, Smart Mark Sterling! Jade is looking at him with this wonderful contempt. But maybe not, I was sure this was going to be Sterlng getting destroyed, but this is interesting.

9) Matt Harty and Marq Quen vs Dean Alexander and Dillon McQueen. McQueen is pretty good. Hardy is a superb bully. Love the street clothes HFO team. Alexander is a great serious bruiser. Treat him right and he could be a Lance Storm. Expected result but this was good.

10) Dr Britt Baker DMD vs Raychell Rose. This left little impact on me. It was fine.

Ogogo as next guest on Outside The Ring could be fun.

11) Tay Conti vs Madi Wrenkowski. Bell wrings and Tay goes for Leyla's rep as an arm collector. Lots of nice submissions, lots of nice strikes. Wrenkowski looks pretty good here, but she's up against Tay on the run of her career. It occurs to me that we have never had Hirsch and Conti face each other. That's one to bank for a rainy day. Tay's looks of glee when she gets to do the hammerlock DDT is great.

Rosa introduces her new submission move, the Calavera Choke. I really like the concept of introducing new moves like this. I also love them putting over the NWA women's championship here.

12) Chaos Project vs Jurassic Express (Stunt and JB). Looking forward to some fun little guy as weapon stuff. Congrats to Serpentico for being the taller dude in a fight. Hahaha, the presto-changeo of Serpentico using Luther as a weapon is great. This is a super entertaining house show match.

13) Isiah Kassidy vs Alex Reynolds. Expecting a low key belter of a match here. Did something happen to Toney's voice during this match? At points he sounded really weird. Nice athletic contest, with frequent outside interludes for the hardy interference story. Reynolds is just remarkable. It's easy to focus on Silver because he's a pneumatic bout machine, but Reynolds is quietly brilliant. Super solid win from Reynolds and then a brutal beating after the bell.

Love the Mox / Nagata package. This match is going to be a corker.

14) Denny Lamlat vs Jon Moxley. sickos window dot jpg. Mox comes out with the belt to fight a New Japan guy. I'm absolutely fine with this. As expected, this is really good. Obviously Mox is dominant because he's Mox, but Limelight has good white meat babyface fire. The Limelight leg capture sequence where he rises to his feat and then shoots his shot on Mox is great. Thanks for your support, Toney In Post. Holky gently caress, that top rope Death Rider was absolute murder. Jesus, you pair of madmen doing something like this on a Youtube show. Limelight looked great here.

Overall, good show. Some filler, but the last few matches were all great.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

punchdaily posted:

I came into AEW just late enough that I cannot imagine Baker as a face. It just makes no sense to me.

Her biggest babyface promo involved her discussing how much pain she was going to inflict on Bea Priestly in detailed medical terms. It was a very 'not' babyface promo. Really it was far more vicious than anything she's said as a heel.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
https://twitter.com/thunderrosa22/status/1392116210746204164

Rosa's new finisher is called the peruvian necktie, apparently. Which I thought was when you cut someone's throat and pulled their tongue through.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Mr. Squishy posted:

Rosa's new finisher is called the peruvian necktie, apparently. Which I thought was when you cut someone's throat and pulled their tongue through.

I don'y know if thats her name for it, but it's definitely the name of the move in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Mr. Squishy posted:

That’s the Colombian Necktie.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mr. Squishy posted:

The origin of the name is, IIRC, (not the MMA fan I once was) the move was "created" by a Peruvian grappler, & the position of your arms around the neck look like a tie. But it absolutely references the Colombian necktie because BJJ culture is very healthy.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

The origin of the name is, IIRC, (not the MMA fan I once was) the move was "created" by a Peruvian grappler, & the position of your arms around the neck look like a tie. But it absolutely references the Colombian necktie because BJJ culture is very healthy.

Making references to Hitman poo poo in combat sports is cool and good, actually.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
let me introduce you to this up and coming wrestler, bret 'the hitman' hart

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Waiting for Angelico to come up with a new submission finisher based on South African Necklacing.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1394272785665601536
https://twitter.com/YOGASAULT/status/1394259281369837571
https://twitter.com/LanceHoyt/status/1393991494273536009
https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1393925388217294852

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Oh man, Archer/Bronson is gonna be some BEEF.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I feel like Dustin / Solow could be a sleeper hit as long as they let Solow actually fight.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Jungle Boy vs. Byzantine Reigns

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Adrian Alanis sounds like he should be an Adrian Adonis ripoff but looks like a Roman Reigns ripoff

Being named after a Canadian Pop-Rocker probably doesn't help.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
is elevation not happening today because I don't see the video up on the channel

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Wonder if they had to edit something.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It's up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

It's up on fite I guess? Weird.