Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Every time I go an extra day without checking the reports I miss out on an ML slap fight. You guys are good at moving on but don't post like on the page 1227. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
yeah i was having a gently caress awful day. sorry

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

lazerwolf posted:

But your favorite Midwest emo tuning like FACGC#E you probably want to get specific gauges strings to keep the tension balanced. here’s a handy calculator

so if I’m picking up what you’re putting down you’re telling me to get a whole bunch of telecasters

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
that tone on the first Tame Impala album is all Big Muff, right?

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I’m using a USB guitar cable and it seems to completely ignore the tone knobs on my guitar. Is that normal?

Strat plugged into a Mac running Logic Pro and Guitar Rig if that matters. If I use a regular cable into an amp the knobs work fine.

Vintage strat wiring doesn't have a bridge pickup tone knob so that could be it? Depends on which strat you have

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

GreenBuckanneer posted:

edit2: what do people think about 2/3 for G instead of 1/2/3 for G? I was looking at Justinguitar and he says to do 2/3 and it seems slightly easier and I can't honestly tell a difference in the sound

You can really do the G a bunch of ways. You don't really need the low B in there when you're strumming it, makes it a bit muddy IMO. But if you're doing basslines it's good to have on hand. But try sprinkling in the high D in there as well, it's a nice sound. Really as long as you have the low G just try poking around at the other strings and see what sounds good.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Gramps posted:

Vintage strat wiring doesn't have a bridge pickup tone knob so that could be it? Depends on which strat you have
2006 (? +/- a year) MIM.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

They still wire some models like that. Plug it into an amp and try which knob does what.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Into an amp the knobs all work as expected. Not a big deal, I was just wondering if it’s a “yeah that happens” thing.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That’s not a thing that happens, is the thing.

Does the volume knob work?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
could be the cable has a built in low / high pass filter for *reasons*, but yeah, that's not normal.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Yeah but the tone knob is already a low pass filter. A cable can't un-filter that signal, right? Unless you run the knob at 0 you should notice a difference.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Siivola posted:

Yeah but the tone knob is already a low pass filter. A cable can't un-filter that signal, right? Unless you run the knob at 0 you should notice a difference.

if the cable is doing what the tone at 100 does (again, very unlikely) then there will be no change no matter what the tone knob is doing, since the cable is doing what the tone knob at max filter would be doing.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I’m using a USB guitar cable and it seems to completely ignore the tone knobs on my guitar. Is that normal?

Strat plugged into a Mac running Logic Pro and Guitar Rig if that matters. If I use a regular cable into an amp the knobs work fine.

What is a USB guitar cable?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

What is a USB guitar cable?

https://www.amazon.com/Recording-Converter-Connection-Interface-Computer/dp/B01N9MPLTJ

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Boy I sure wouldn't think so. Is it truly just a cable with 1/4 on one end and USB on the other, or is there something else included like a fob or whatever?

Also guitar wise...many makers over the year have gotten fancier than just an RC filter for the time knob. But if you are playing a pretty boiler plate guitar, it should be an analog circuit up until the jack out. Would have a hard time thinking of how the USB could get the signal before the tone knob portion of the circuit.

USB itself shouldn't be doing any sound colorization, but since it's serial...something has to be doing the a to d conversion before the USB can do anything with it...

In the event that the a to d is going on in the cable or either end, I'd blame that, or the soundcard.

What sound card are you using? Or just going directly into the Mac?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
anyone here got any familiarity with Warp Core pickups? They look sick with the see-thru neon bobbins, and it’s neat to support a super-independent outfit.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

sorry for just jumping in but i was thinking and i realized more specifically what my chord progression issues are.

i've so internalized major key chord function, that it's tough for me to get other types of relationships, so when i want to do something that isn't super major key sounding, that has more neutral or even minor intervals in a major key, that sort of knowledge just isn't in my fingertips at all. so when i have a really specific, melancholic feeling in my head that i want to get out into music, i'm totally incapable of translating that.

i have no idea how to practice that aside from maybe pulling apart a bunch of chord combinations on paper and noting the intervals between them so i can maybe end up coding "minor in major" relationships into my head.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
play a bunch of songs in minor keys and analyze them. learning full on songs is a better way to learn harmonic techniques than trying to game out combinations in isolation, although that can be helpful for trying to nail down fingerings etc. at the end of the day, you can learn everything you need to know about music directly from pieces themselves, barring technical necessities like scales, although a ton of pieces have been written specifically to teach stuff like that, like School of Velocity

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 11, 2021

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

landgrabber posted:

sorry for just jumping in but i was thinking and i realized more specifically what my chord progression issues are.

i've so internalized major key chord function, that it's tough for me to get other types of relationships, so when i want to do something that isn't super major key sounding, that has more neutral or even minor intervals in a major key, that sort of knowledge just isn't in my fingertips at all. so when i have a really specific, melancholic feeling in my head that i want to get out into music, i'm totally incapable of translating that.

i have no idea how to practice that aside from maybe pulling apart a bunch of chord combinations on paper and noting the intervals between them so i can maybe end up coding "minor in major" relationships into my head.

Here are some things to try:

Variant chords: functionally you can replace any diatonic chords for literally any other chord quality with the same root. For example, Cmaj can become a C minor, Aug, m7, 7, 6/9, go ham. Trust you ears but a great way to add variety.

Relative minor - every major has a relative minor. For C it's A minor and shares all the se diatonic notes and will have an a minor as it's tonic.

You can grab literally any dominant chord at any time and it there is a strong chance that it sounds fine so long as you immediately resolve it to it's tonic (it's the five of it's one).

Parallel subs : borrow chords from a minor mode that shares the same root. True for any mode whose first three notes make a minor triad (root, 3 half steps, 4 half steps).

Pick a minor key, write a melody in it, and harmonize it using only chord tones, or at least chord tones on beats 1 and three, or resolve to melody to a chord tone quickly on beats 1 and 3 in each measure.

One final one, you can just sort of play as many chords as you want of the same quality with roots in some diatonic scale (or not...still works if you aren't using iffy interval movements..like stick to thirds and seconds up and down, and fifths down).
And an ear will accept it. For example in C Maj, instead of harmonizing as I ii III IV, V7, vi,vii, just use the same root and make every chord a minor, add embellishments to taste. This works pretty good imo with all m9 chords. It has a very distinct jazz sound if you do a ton of them...but stick to a few and it's moody but can still be pop.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I've been GASing for an LP-style guitar to fill the high-gain hole in my life. It's probably not really the neck style for the metal I've been messing around with lately, but I'm setting that aside. There's a shop near me that says it has a few Firefly LPs, though for all I know their inventory hasn't been updated, but I'll check on that. Rondo says it will have some SX LPs in stock soon, which are suspiciously cheap. And, of course, I could go for Epis 60s or Classic ranges. Any feelings on how much I'd be missing out on my going for the more budget options vs. the Epis?

(I wish I could compare these against an ESP EC-256, but nothing in my area has them in stock).

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 11, 2021

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

beer gas canister posted:

play a bunch of songs in minor keys and analyze them. learning full on songs is a better way to learn harmonic techniques than trying to game out combinations in isolation, although that can be helpful for trying to nail down fingerings etc. at the end of the day, you can learn everything you need to know about music directly from pieces themselves, barring technical necessities like scales, although a ton of pieces have been written specifically to teach stuff like that, like School of Velocity

i have no practice with minor key songs because i don't listen to any bands that write minor key songs ever, because i don't listen to wanky metal

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Epiphone will have better resale value if that's a consideration maybe better fit and finish but most of the cheap guitars are pretty good now.
If you have a shop that carries them locally try each one out see if they feel any different.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I've been GASing for an LP-style guitar to fill the high-gain hole in my life. It's probably not really the neck style for the metal I've been messing around with lately, but I'm setting that aside. There's a shop near me that says it has a few Firefly LPs, though for all I know their inventory hasn't been updated, but I'll check on that. Rondo says it will have some SX LPs in stock soon, which are suspiciously cheap. And, of course, I could go for Epis 60s or Classic ranges. Any feelings on how much I'd be missing out on my going for the more budget options vs. the Epis?

(I wish I could compare these against an ESP EC-256, but nothing in my area has them in stock).

Idk, the aquamarine sweetwater 1960 Tribute Plus would be my pick if I wanted the best Gibson replacement. The upgraded pickups + electronics, hard case, finish, name brand probs make it worth it once you consider what it would cost to build up an inexpensive clone

Also the the flame top Epi Moderns + Traditional Pro III in ‘ocean’ are pretty, but I’d probably replace their guts

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

landgrabber posted:

i have no practice with minor key songs because i don't listen to any bands that write minor key songs ever, because i don't listen to wanky metal

Say it ain't so by Weezer is in Am. Trillions of other examples. You definitely listen to minor key songs

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

landgrabber posted:

Do you think minor keys are just a metal thing?

Try some REM, or maybe some Dvorak - the super pretty section in the middle of his famous humoresque is in a minor key.

Smells Like Teen Spirit is in f minor, jeez.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
put on some fucken miles davis or something and learn 2 jazz

listening to jazz is proven to make you a more complex guitarist

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I think I'll split the difference and pick up a cheapo off Rondo to keep in B standard next time I have some type of handy excuse to spend a few bucks, and probably go with an Epi in the next couple of weeks.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I think I'll split the difference and pick up a cheapo off Rondo to keep in B standard next time I have some type of handy excuse to spend a few bucks, and probably go with an Epi in the next couple of weeks.

I bought a Harley Benton progressive series LP clone from Thomann and it's a really nice set-neck with gold hardware and some crunchy hot active pickups in it. It's metal as all hell. UPS dropped it on its way across the pond and cracked the corner of the headstock a bit though so I gotta get some wood glue and some clamps and stitch 'er back together.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

landgrabber posted:

if you want to play well, then it's important to broaden your horizons and listen beyond your comfort zone. metal is certainly not at all the only genre that employs minor keys. i don't think you could find a genre that DOESN'T use them. hell "Getchoo" is in a minor key, if you can truly only stand to play Weezer tunes

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

landgrabber posted:

Plenty of songs are in minor you dork.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

This, too, is in minor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXIZBq_MJF0

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

landgrabber posted:

:mrgw:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
ironically the wankiest kinds of metal are usual major

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Yeah I associate the combination of "minor" and "wanky" with like, britpop

JagerNinja
Sep 13, 2011

Steely-eyed Missile of a Man

Ok Comboomer posted:

Idk, the aquamarine sweetwater 1960 Tribute Plus would be my pick if I wanted the best Gibson replacement. The upgraded pickups + electronics, hard case, finish, name brand probs make it worth it once you consider what it would cost to build up an inexpensive clone

Also the the flame top Epi Moderns + Traditional Pro III in ‘ocean’ are pretty, but I’d probably replace their guts

Yo, that Epi 1960 LP Tribute Plus is nuts. Push/pull pots, USA pickups, locking tuners, included hardshell case, not bad in that price range. Plastic nut, though, which is kind of disappointing since they apparently went balls out everywhere else. It's not in the same price range as LP or even an EC-256, but if I was in the market, I'd be tempted.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I thought phygian (dominant) was for metal? Brb writing a bad metal song

Either way I like signals music studio for composing with modes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-j4g0ktPGw

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

beer gas canister posted:

if you want to play well, then it's important to broaden your horizons and listen beyond your comfort zone. metal is certainly not at all the only genre that employs minor keys. i don't think you could find a genre that DOESN'T use them. hell "Getchoo" is in a minor key, if you can truly only stand to play Weezer tunes

The delightful concept of only listening to songs in major keys aside for a second, reharmonising your fav pop songs into their relative minor is an easy way to get your brain round such things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVtghJN_g8c

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Kazinsal posted:

I bought a Harley Benton progressive series LP clone from Thomann and it's a really nice set-neck with gold hardware and some crunchy hot active pickups in it. It's metal as all hell. UPS dropped it on its way across the pond and cracked the corner of the headstock a bit though so I gotta get some wood glue and some clamps and stitch 'er back together.

Those do look pretty tempting, though I'm hesitant to buy one sight unseen, especially with transatlantic shipping.

JagerNinja posted:

Yo, that Epi 1960 LP Tribute Plus is nuts. Push/pull pots, USA pickups, locking tuners, included hardshell case, not bad in that price range. Plastic nut, though, which is kind of disappointing since they apparently went balls out everywhere else. It's not in the same price range as LP or even an EC-256, but if I was in the market, I'd be tempted.

That's a little bit outside the budget I set for myself, though the case kinda changes the math on it. Either way, I'm sufficiently boring to not really dig the finish.

Ok Comboomer posted:

lmao pls don’t get a LP in like cherry or tobacco burst

You wouldn't believe what a basic bitch I am. I'm studying to be a lawyer and I'm really leaning into that whole vibe.

Edit: I'll compromise and go with a silver burst.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Those do look pretty tempting, though I'm hesitant to buy one sight unseen, especially with transatlantic shipping.

That's a little bit outside the budget I set for myself, though the case kinda changes the math on it. Either way, I'm sufficiently boring to not really dig the finish.

lmao pls don’t get a LP in like cherry or tobacco burst