Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
I've been working for a company for years, and they've grown considerably during that time. As I'm no longer investing new equity, I'd like to "adjust" my salary to be closer to the market rate, which would mean a pretty significant raise.

Has anyone ever seen this sort of situation play out well? Does everyone have any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

just signed an offer, I’ve been doing okay for myself but finally obtained SV tier figgies and get to stay in flyover land

I’d like to thank the academy

jesus WEP posted:

is this how interviews go when you know someone

yeah pretty much

one time I reached out to an old boss, we had lunch, I had a formal offer in my inbox before I got home

interviewed at another place where half the team knew me from tech community and I had also just given a conference talk in that city. I had the usual panels but one guy literally said “I normally have this dumb whiteboard problem I gotta give but I saw your conference talk last week so I’m gonna skip that and let’s just casually talk shop for an hour”

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Cheekio posted:

I've been working for a company for years, and they've grown considerably during that time. As I'm no longer investing new equity, I'd like to "adjust" my salary to be closer to the market rate, which would mean a pretty significant raise.

Has anyone ever seen this sort of situation play out well? Does everyone have any recommendations?

It’s possible, but usually much easier to just get a new job. Does upper management love you?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

i think my recruiter is trying to schedule my offer call but instead of the time i told them i was available they have scheduled 2 different times that are not the time i said i was available!

what a power move

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Acer Pilot posted:

i think my recruiter is trying to schedule my offer call but instead of the time i told them i was available they have scheduled 2 different times that are not the time i said i was available!

what a power move

I love that, "please call before 10am or after 2pm, I am in meetings for the rest of the day" "how about 10:30, noon or 1pm?"

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

3rd party recruiters are without exception

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

drat this thread has been popping off lately

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Cheekio posted:

do you mean you're no longer vesting?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

when you fully vest companies typically give you more options on a new vesting schedule to keep you around, if yours isn't that's unusual but not unheard of

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

holy gently caress this apple sourcing recruiter has loving destroyed my inbox. they put that i was willing to relocate when i explicitly said i'm not. now i have recruiters for every team looking for ios engineers emailing me. also this feels like a bad system but i guess it's also beneficial in that a single interview doesn't close you off from the company for a year.

i really don't want to talk to all these recruiters, though. it's loving overwhelming.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

They sort of promoted me to mid/upper management so yeah, they must like me some. That also works against me in terms of how much money the market says I should get, as I became an old timer with an impressive title that may not directly translate to the same title at another shop.

Also you're right, I'm no longer vesting equity. Golden handcuffs are off, baby!

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I don't think I'm interested in working for Facebook, but they keep hounding me to interview there and it seems like it would be good practice if not a good alternative to the current job

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

had another initial interview this afternoon, 2/2 on getting them to say a number first :hellyeah:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

amazing what you can achieve when you can say you’re talking to multiple companies and getting a feel for the market

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

jesus WEP posted:

it was a very weird interview, like it was only 45 minutes long and we sped through how i like to design software, how i organise teams of devs, what the company expects to do over the next years, what salary expectations would be, and a bunch of questions i had about the role. i have no idea where it goes from here.

i came highly recommended from their newly-hired director, but that can’t be the whole process before i get an offer right :psyduck: or is this how interviews go when you know someone

when i got hired by someone i knew i did the normal process but every conversation was pro forma, basically this:

kitten smoothie posted:

I had the usual panels but one guy literally said “I normally have this dumb whiteboard problem I gotta give but I saw your conference talk last week so I’m gonna skip that and let’s just casually talk shop for an hour”

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Cheekio posted:

I don't think I'm interested in working for Facebook, but they keep hounding me to interview there and it seems like it would be good practice if not a good alternative to the current job

interview p hard, if you get offer from fb get another offer for a non genocide place, use the fb offer to squeeze more money from a place that doesnt help buddhist death squads do the death squad thing

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

when a Facebook recruiter reached out to me I told them to gently caress off then posted the screen cap for internet points

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Someone ITT told me to tell that that I can't work for them because of my morals and they have sent me 0 emails since. I used to get like weekly ones otherwise.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

just had an internal recruiter tell me there was a take home I have to finish by Thursday, and they would send it to me Wednesday at 5pm

lmao they are on my poo poo list now

so I pressed them to ask their dev team how long it typically takes a sr dev to finish because if it's more than two hours I will not be able to do it before the interview

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

*Finished by the start of my interview Thursday... Which is at 130pm so not even 24 hours hahahahah

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Someone ITT told me to tell that that I can't work for them because of my morals and they have sent me 0 emails since. I used to get like weekly ones otherwise.

goddamn it i did that one too and it didnt work

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Cheekio posted:

either your company is really badly run and you should leave or your company is really well run and you should leave (because they want you to). if you have no additional options/rsu grants and your salary wasn't already adjusted you need to bring that up immediately if you have any desire to stay where you are

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

KoRMaK posted:

just had an internal recruiter tell me there was a take home I have to finish by Thursday, and they would send it to me Wednesday at 5pm

so I pressed them to ask their dev team how long it typically takes a sr dev to finish because if it's more than two hours I will not be able to do it before the interview

Lmao are you just trying to move to another department?

I think I may have posted about it itt but when I was looking to transfer departments I went to what was described to me a friendly chat the next day but ended up being a full on google style coding interview.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

bob dobbs is dead posted:

goddamn it i did that one too and it didnt work

i just replied to each email with a link to the latest terrible facebook news and eventually stopped getting them

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

KoRMaK posted:

lmao this is such trash

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit
started my job with the fedgov yesterday. so far so good
edit: canadian

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Lmao are you just trying to move to another department?
Nah, new company to me, I just meant the recruiter was like an HR person inside their company rather than a 3rd party

so I sussed out what the deal is and it turns out the recruiter loving butchered the message and what I actually need to have is a repo they sent me setup in my env so we can play in it during the interview which is a lot less work and honestly probably going to take only a half hour or something

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Resume chat from a couple pages back has me worried about the quality of my resume. I moved from the DC area to the Seattle area, and the types of jobs in both areas are significantly different. I don't want to post my resume as it's very easy to identify me from it but are there are some good examples of what my resume should have?

there's a resume thread in bfc that's got some good advice for resumes in the op. the two basic key points that have worked for me are basically

1. have a blurb (like 3 sentences ish) at the top that matches some of the key points the ad says they're looking for, as closely as possible without outright lying. if the ad says "5 years experience with java" as its first requirement then your blurb should at the very least have something specifically about your java experience. this is to get past the first screening; most resumes are shitcanned by the time the reader gets to the end of this blurb, and it's common that the first screener isn't technical.

2. pick cool things you did that you can be specific about, and try to describe the value. don't write that you worked on optimizations, write that you root-caused and resolved performance issues, speeding up some critical part of the application by a gazillion percent and saving the company hundreds of thousands of dollars in hosting costs, or whatever. never lie, but don't undersell your individual effort by so much as a penny either. you never "help" or "contribute" to doing something, you either lead a project or you take ownership of a key part of it or whatever.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

recruiter called and it was an exercise in neither of us saying a number lol

still no offer but he's checking with the HM "to see about levels and if they're going to offer"

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I've literally heard someone in hr veto a candidate because the candidate didn't share what they were currently making.

The good news is that hr was restructured top to bottom since then, but yeah it's not unheard of that some companies would rather spite their face than keep their nose.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I'll say the obvious thing: the vetoed candidate dodged a bullet

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
Just had my three year review as a junior dev. I used to do split time 50/50 web dev and internal application development. Since pandemic I've shifted 10/90 towards internal app development out of business necessity. Was not promoted to mid level at review but likely will be promoted within a year to mid. Company currently evaluated at 200mil/year and projected to be over 400mil/year by 2025. Department has gone from 8 people when I started to almost 40 as of last week.

Currently I develop/maintain/support several VBA applications along with related BE SQL processes. My team of 4 people is now down to just me due to people getting fired, quitting, or leaving the engineering department. I have yet to negotiate my raise after the review.

A new developer with several years' experience as a C# dev but no active VBA experience is joining the team within two weeks and I know he was asking 90k salary. He will be assigned to work VBA User Stories and I will be training him/getting him up to speed. I make significantly less than that. Is asking for a 35% raise due to working in a legacy platform and doing it solo an unreasonable ask? The 35% raise would still put me lower than 90k.

tbh I have half a mind to just run through a bunch of web dev interview questions for my tech stack and find a better higher paying job and tell them gently caress off, but if I can bide my time to do that with a raise in place that would be beneficial for the next job.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
get another job and ask for 130k

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
you can negotiate but if you’re hardline about it then you’ll need to be ready for the axe to fall down on you (unless you’re reallly confident in your un-expendability). definitely look for another job no matter what you decide.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

if you're handling tasks on your own you're not a junior anymore

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

that poo poo makes me so mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
130k total, including stock, is a lowball in figgieland prime, the sfba, to be clear. im assuming youre in some secondary figgieland, ny or austin or some poo poo. if youre not in a figgieland at all then move to one first. if you move to figgielands prime or secondus (seattle) then ask for 130k cash comp and a significant stock comp

or the best option, shut the gently caress up and then ask for 150k if they offer you like 120k and ask for 220k if they offer you 180k. 100k is a good floor to go nelson ha-ha at and walk away at

i got paid, annualized, 80k for my internship in figgieland prime back in undergrad

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 06:21 on May 12, 2021