Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I mean, that's a problem with Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla. There's maybe three or four hours of story spread across potentially a hundred or more hours of gameplay. By the time the brotherhood is established in Origins, at least one of the founding members was someone I don't think I'd seen for 30 hours of gameplay since I'd been just exploring and messing around before finishing up the main quest.

Similiar in Odyssey, I went something like the same without seeing Deimos after one of their early appearances, and whoever that Spartan guy is that you meet at one point and becomes friends with - by the time I next saw him, I'd forgotten who he was because it had been so long.

I think it's especially egregious in Origins because Bayek has so little impact on the story's events. Like they could literally happen without him minus killing Flavius at the end and nothing of consequence would change in the way you summarized the narrative. Everything done to move the plot along is organized by Aya and to a lesser extent Cleopatra/Caesar, you could have assassinated 1 target or 30 before she's mandated to show up, and it wouldn't make a single difference. It's just poor writing to have your protagonist be the least impactful character in the story. It's certainly an artistic choice, but I don't think it's an intentional one in this case. With Odyssey and Valhalla, there's a greater story unfolding that the main character plays directly back into, their actions help to unravel a greater mystery, and the decisions they make appreciably alter the course of events outside of one two-minute cutscene. Now I happen to think Valhalla's story is rather weak, significantly worse than Origins, but there's at least a conscious attempt to make Eivor the most interesting character in the narrative.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Knowing now about how Ubisoft was run by sexpests at the time of Origins' development, it wouldn't surprise me if the original plan for this trilogy of games was for Aya, Kassandra, and Eivor to be the standalone leads

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I would have liked a few more interludes with Aya since her missions tended to be more exciting.

I’d like to see AC games go back to not having a choice of protagonist. Simplify the writing a whole bunch.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I've only half played through Odessey and Valhalla, but yeah Dude Eivor is fine and is the most intensely nordic man on earth the same way that Ezio was the most Italian man on earth. But it is kinda an afterthought.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

KirbyKhan posted:

My face when I learn my fate

Actually... Maybe Eivor is just a good Odin... Hrmm I might have to actually come back. I left Eivor as a Thrall in America...

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Casimir Radon posted:

I would have liked a few more interludes with Aya since her missions tended to be more exciting.

I’d like to see AC games go back to not having a choice of protagonist. Simplify the writing a whole bunch.

I mean, Eivor is this, just with two voice sets.

It was always weird in Syndicate because they didn't really commit to the switching (they have exactly one mission where you switch back and forth GTAV style, its such an obvious missed opportunity) and in Odyssey because changing gender changes the ages of each sibling in a bizarre way.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Carlosologist posted:

Knowing now about how Ubisoft was run by sexpests at the time of Origins' development, it wouldn't surprise me if the original plan for this trilogy of games was for Aya, Kassandra, and Eivor to be the standalone leads

At least in the case of Aya i think it came out this was exactly right, she was originally intended to be the protag

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

I mean, Eivor is this, just with two voice sets.

It was always weird in Syndicate because they didn't really commit to the switching (they have exactly one mission where you switch back and forth GTAV style, its such an obvious missed opportunity) and in Odyssey because changing gender changes the ages of each sibling in a bizarre way.
Syndicate should have had more of those missions. Otherwise I rather liked the way switching worked. They were both fun characters with distinct personalities.

I wish a future game would find an excuse to have an Animus glitch to bring them back for a little bit.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The dual protagonists is very much a selling point for me, even if it's just as simple as find/replace pronouns. (Hell this often works for me because then the main love interest is accidentally a lady. :gaysper:) I don't care to play a dude unless they are a far better character than AssCreed protags tend to be.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I mean, it took like 1.5 decades to iterate on videogames and fiction to finally resolve gender selection fluidly and narratively: double da stream dawg

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. its very loose story. i just personally like bayek and aya. but honestly i like Valhalla's story more even if its dumb at times. eivore is fun and i like her dealing with culture clash and realizing that alot of the vikings are dumb loud assholes. odyssey is still the "worst" overall story despite loving kass and alyxios is because it suffers ending multiplication effect. origins has a bit of that too but its way less damning. origins issues is the big points of the story can be summarized in a paragraph and the pacing is all over the place.

i liked eivor but i hated sigurd and the whole story about him and imo that really dragged down the game. i liked the overall danes vs saxons side of the story* but all the crap with the norse gods and aliens and animus bullshit was tedious and awful

also i really felt like there was a lot of missed opportunity for good characters by giving eivor that small crew that is always around in the boat and on raids and missions. like in rdr2 everyone in your posse has a real personality. in valhalla you get 10 silent grunts and dag the rear end in a top hat.

*mostly. the king rhodri plotline was awful

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 9, 2021

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
They're never gonna drop the Isu stuff, folks. No matter how much like Doomguy you act about it.

Embrace the stupidity.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

They're never gonna drop the Isu stuff, folks. No matter how much like Doomguy you act about it.

Embrace the stupidity.

Correct. It seemed like they might in the Unity/Syndicate period but it came right back stronger than ever in Origins.

Anyway people really weren’t exaggerating when they said that the final territory arc ends very abruptly. Holy poo poo was that weird.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Mind spoiling. I'm aware of the broad strokes of Sigurd, the isu, and the modern day timeline.

But all these endings miss the part that I'm interested in. What happened to Eivor yeah? What's a good plot breakdown on it cuz lol if I reinstall this decade.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

KirbyKhan posted:

But all these endings miss the part that I'm interested in. What happened to Eivor yeah? What's a good plot breakdown on it cuz lol if I reinstall this decade.
Part of me thinks that they'll wrap that up in the DLC. I mean his body is found in Vinland and the map is already there.

On the other hand this is Ubisoft. So another part of me thinks they'll wrap it up in a tie-in comic, novel or mobile game that barely anyone will engage with.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

It’s safe to say there will be three large Valhalla DLCs. The original plan was 2 but Covid has disrupted their original plans to do some smaller title in the fall so they’re doing another Valhalla DLC instead. Hopefully the next mainline title is ready in Fall 2022

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It’s safe to say there will be three large Valhalla DLCs.

what is your source on that? they've repeatedly and specifically described two of them (though havent shared any screenshots or much detail) and i cant find anything about a third?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Earwicker posted:

what is your source on that? they've repeatedly and specifically described two of them (though havent shared any screenshots or much detail) and i cant find anything about a third?

It's all internet "leaks" and speculation at this point, but the rumor is that Ubisoft Sophia (Rogue developers) were originally working on a small scale AC game to fill the gap between Valhalla and the next big release. That has apparently been scrapped in favor of either a third Valhalla DLC or a standalone followup starring Eivor. There has also been some data mining which uncovered some code referencing an expansion 3 named "meteor".

Here's a video covering the rumors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qsuMKuDEq0

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Also male Evior was just recording new stuff. I believe that the voice work for the first two DLCs would have been done long ago.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If they’re going to make a third DLC to fill the gaps they should set it in the Baltic or even Central Asia somewhere Vikings went but doesn’t get nearly as much attention.

I think The Hidden Ones DLC for Origins was a bit of a wet fart. Little to no actual history involved, and the story was dumb. Sending Bayek or Aya to Nubia would have been much more interesting.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Casimir Radon posted:

If they’re going to make a third DLC to fill the gaps they should set it in the Baltic or even Central Asia somewhere Vikings went but doesn’t get nearly as much attention.

the baltic could be cool but central asia i would much rather see as the basis a full new AC game rather than crammed into a dlc

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Oh if they are bringing back dude Eivor VO then this is gonna be an Odin adventure. Which is cool, the fantastical areas lend themselves better to smaller contained zones. And my expectations for a post-corporate collapse dlc is about that low. Yeah, gimmie another Asgard.

I AM THE HIGH ONE, THE LORD OF ECSTACY

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The question of where they can set another DLC is heavily dependent on which setting allows them to reuse the most assets. I’m half expecting the Ireland map to have Roman ruins.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It will, if you google "roman hibernia" enough theories and coins pop up to justify a nice big Roman fortress to make Ireland gameplay-ey enough

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Druids, Paris, and no.3 presumably answers why Eivor is where he dies.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mameluke posted:

It will, if you google "roman hibernia" enough theories and coins pop up to justify a nice big Roman fortress to make Ireland gameplay-ey enough

while you're at it google "hy-brasil" and learn about the "irish atlantis" a mythical sunken island off the coast of ireland that could easily make for a third dlc full of fantasy garbage and reused assets from odyssey

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Wrath of the Druids trailer is out: https://t.co/CTXrKlUvS6?amp=1

Some streamers also have access if you want to check out gameplay. JorRaptor's the only one I bother to follow so here's his link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be4Kgs-u17Y

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 11, 2021

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Just tell me if there are bugs that immediately break everything.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Earwicker posted:

the baltic could be cool but central asia i would much rather see as the basis a full new AC game rather than crammed into a dlc

Persia/Iraq/Khiva during the mongol invasion AC let's fuckin go!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I am still hyperfixated on the question of whether this will be the update that adds 1-handed swords and i can't quite tell from the videos or googling. It looks like there's some kind of sickle weapon that might be a sword? or it could be an axe i guess

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

It looks like there's some kind of sickle weapon that might be a sword? or it could be an axe i guess

i watched a bit of that stream and i gather that those sickle weapons are actually part of some kind of origins themed kit

also its ireland so i'm hoping for a cool shillelagh moveset myself

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Earwicker posted:

i liked eivor but i hated sigurd and the whole story about him and imo that really dragged down the game. i liked the overall danes vs saxons side of the story* but all the crap with the norse gods and aliens and animus bullshit was tedious and awful

also i really felt like there was a lot of missed opportunity for good characters by giving eivor that small crew that is always around in the boat and on raids and missions. like in rdr2 everyone in your posse has a real personality. in valhalla you get 10 silent grunts and dag the rear end in a top hat.

*mostly. the king rhodri plotline was awful

i think my issue with sigurd is him and wolf man arnt in the story enough him basicaly going "i am GOD" is just badly paced. like the conflict between them feels forced because sigurd is kinda a loser. he fucks off with his friend while you do his job with rear end in a top hat second and command and his ignored wife hits on you because their marriage is a sham and dead.

J-Spot posted:

It's all internet "leaks" and speculation at this point, but the rumor is that Ubisoft Sophia (Rogue developers) were originally working on a small scale AC game to fill the gap between Valhalla and the next big release. That has apparently been scrapped in favor of either a third Valhalla DLC or a standalone followup starring Eivor. There has also been some data mining which uncovered some code referencing an expansion 3 named "meteor".

Here's a video covering the rumors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qsuMKuDEq0

it might not be "scrapped" as a full game. rogue was hinted at in the same way in codes i believe.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
So what, are we getting small-scale Basim game for pastgen?

Him talking about actually interesting places while you travel through the English country mud seemed like a DLC or sequel hook.

Some soulless corporate jokes for you:
https://twitter.com/witchergame/status/1391827694950694913?s=19

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 12, 2021

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
Review of the expansion from an Irish person makes it sound pretty good: https://www.thegamer.com/assassins-creed-valhalla-wrath-of-the-druids-review/

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

gently caress me, that's out tomorrow, huh? I'm probably going to play the mass effect remaster instead, but that'll just give ubi time to iron out the exciting new bugs i assume they'll create (although this plan foolishly assumes that bioware won't do that too)

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Hey guys I have a great idea for a new AC game let me know what you think!

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Is it a good idea to finish the main game before starting this new DLC or can I just go ahead and do it? I’m towards the end I think when you return to your homeland, but I never wrapped it up.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
The reviews I read said it actually makes less sense that way and is better done early on in the story or else Eivor's characterization takes a jump backwards to match the first act.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

“Nothing is true, everything is permitted, especially slavery.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Hey guys I have a great idea for a new AC game let me know what you think!

Lincoln could easily be a Templar without the Assassins being Confederates.

Lincoln's main objective was not freeing the slaves. It wasn't letting the slave states continue to allow chattel slavery*, either. His goal was preventing the entire South from seceding. A very Templar thing to do, retaining control.

Having the Templars work together with the Assassins to retain control of the U.S. while the Assassins pursued abolishing slavery, now? That would be interesting. Boothe could break whatever deal they had afterwards.

*it's still extremely legal in the U.S. to use prisoners as forced labor, by the way. Weird how it's disproportionately black folks in U.S. prisons, huh?