Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Like even current EU4 running in the CK3 engine (which allows pretty extensive UI modding by the looks of it) would be rad, would love to see what the mod community could do with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is meiou the mod with the never ending "PIRATES!" pop up?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Mans posted:

is meiou the mod with the never ending "PIRATES!" pop up?

That was Magna Mundi for EU3.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Reveilled posted:

That was Magna Mundi for EU3.

The days before Ubik went utterly insane. Good times. He was still already insane

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Rynoto posted:

The days before Ubik went utterly insane. Good times. He was still already insane

I remember Ubik getting institutionalized at some point. Is it known what happened to him afterward? He was very obviously not well from the very beginning, as you said.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Gigau streams Mayo and Texas on twitch nowadays. He seems super sweet and chill.

Also the mod rules except for the UI.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

That's rad, and it's true.

Gimmick Account posted:

I remember Ubik getting institutionalized at some point. Is it known what happened to him afterward? He was very obviously not well from the very beginning, as you said.

As a guy who had had personal communication with him before Magna Mundi the Game was a thing, he did not strike me as obviously unwell. But yeah actually developing a game does not seem to have done good things for his psyche, but I don't think we have any details about him post-commitment. Hopefully he's doing ok.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Johan posted:

Leviathan was one of the worst releases we have had, and follows a long trail of low quality releases starting back with Golden Century for EU4.

As the Studio Manager and Game Director, at the end of the day, this is my responsibility, so I have to apologize for this. This is entirely my fault.

I should have delayed the start of the development of Leviathan until we had all the resources that were needed, and they had time to properly onboard on the project. We should have announced a break in the development of EU4 after the Emperor release, until we had a team ready to start designing and working early in 2021.

We are partially changing our plans for the rest of the year. We had originally planned to fix all legacy bugs before we stop developing further expansions for EU4. Now we are accelerating these plans, and also making sure that the community will be getting them frequently.

The 1.31.3 patch is planned to be out this week, and the next patch after that we aim to release either at the end of may or early june, and then we aim to release several more patches for the rest of the year.

This is of course a rough first expansion for the team and the studio, but it's far from the end. We have recruited a set of great individuals, with a huge passion for the game, to form Paradox Tinto, giving us a bright future for Europa Universalis.

I mean, I appreciate the sentiment, and that he didn't throw the Barcelona team under the bus.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I mean, I appreciate the sentiment, and that he didn't throw the Barcelona team under the bus.

If Leviathan was intended to be the final expansion and their plans were to fix bugs and wrap up...not delaying seems like an extremely odd choice. Honestly just gives me more questions.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Zeron posted:

If Leviathan was intended to be the final expansion and their plans were to fix bugs and wrap up...not delaying seems like an extremely odd choice. Honestly just gives me more questions.

It was never supposed to be the last one.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Zeron posted:

It wasn't, he's saying that Tinto is going to do more expansions but they're now going to push back them back to prioritize bugfixes first.

edit: drat, beat by the OP himself

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

pdxjohan posted:

That's great news.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

pdxjohan posted:

Ah my bad, sorry. Thanks for the statement.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

pdxjohan posted:

Wait, does that mean it's now the last one?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

Wait, does that mean it's now the last one?

...No? Not sure where you got that from.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I mean I'm 80% sure I'm reading too much into it, but just that sentence kinda sounds like it might be.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

if anything, leviathan is proof the barcelona studio absolutely needs to cut their teeth on at least another expansion before they switch to eu5.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

PittTheElder posted:

I mean I'm 80% sure I'm reading too much into it, but just that sentence kinda sounds like it might be.

I think the intended reading is "we were originally planning to do a big bugfix release as a sendoff for the game after whatever the last expansion ended up being - we've changed our plans and will instead be doing a big series of bugfix releases right now, before we get back to doing expansions".

I say "I think" because I agree that it's not totally clear, but I think the interpretation I've written above gels with Johan's clarifying statements.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gimmick Account posted:

He was never literally insane, he just dedicated way too many man-hours into the project and was spending inheritance money that the rest of the family didn't like so they had him institutionalized.

He got out a few years back, after spending a year or two pretending to take pills. He only got released after he stopped resisting the psychiatrists and started to admit he was crazy and slowly felt "improvements" over time.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

...No? Not sure where you got that from.

It should. Game doesn't need more DLC, it's bloated enough as it is. Bug fix all the wonky stuff and prepare for a new release imo.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/while-1-31-3-is-in-final-testing-here-is-patchnotes-to-read.1473617/

Patchnotes!

Mans posted:

He was never literally insane, he just dedicated way too many man-hours into the project and was spending inheritance money that the rest of the family didn't like so they had him institutionalized.

So in Portugal, you can be sane and spend few years in a psycho ward because your family says you're crazy? Hmm.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

you don't have to be crazy to be institutionalized here.... but it helps !! 🤪

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ilitarist posted:

So in Portugal, you can be sane and spend few years in a psycho ward because your family says you're crazy? Hmm.

there are many countries in the world where you can be involuntarily institutionalized, yes. in fact it's often disturbingly easy for your parents to get it done even if you are a grown-rear end person in your 40s like ubik was

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Wasn't there a mental hospital in the US that you could pay to admit your relatives?

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Mans posted:

He got out a few years back, after spending a year or two pretending to take pills. He only got released after he stopped resisting the psychiatrists and started to admit he was crazy and slowly felt "improvements" over time.

It should. Game doesn't need more DLC, it's bloated enough as it is. Bug fix all the wonky stuff and prepare for a new release imo.

What were these improvments??? tell us, let us know

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Ash Crimson posted:

What were these improvments??? tell us, let us know

When he stopped working on total conversion mods for EU, they figured they'd cured the worst of it :v:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

This patch is pretty decent, by the way. Still some bugs and oversights (the "can always vassalize your war target in a subjugation war regardless of warscore cost" change applies to every single country in the war lol), but I think if it shipped like this, there wouldn't have been a large backlash or anything. The monuments are reasonably balanced, most of the unfinished-feeling rough edges have been touched up, and it's just much less buggy in general. They still haven't balanced the concentrate development feature, though. I assume that's coming next.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 14, 2021

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

That was a super nicely done apology, and with PDX being listed I can appreciate how difficult it probably was to get everyone aligned on releasing it.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Mans posted:

He only got released after he stopped resisting the psychiatrists and started to admit he was crazy and slowly felt "improvements" over time.

Uh, as somebody who was in such institution, I really hate that. If you say to the psychiatrist that you feel terrible, you might get extra drugs and certainly get marked as "uncooperative" - meaning zero privileges for you. Punishments will continue until morale improves.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Some AI weirdness left though. Am up to the early 1500s in a Mongolia game and the Ottos have done Jack poo poo except for annexing Crimea. I mean, they haven't even tried attacking Byzantium, who survives as an OPM in Constantinople. (Naples took Morea).

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

might be the new calcs for governing capacity and whatnot

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah the current AIs will release vassals when over governing capacity, then annex them as soon as possible after a decade, only to immediately re-release. It's most noticeable with Ming.

The true main faction of Leviathan is the eternal Xi.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 14, 2021

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I dunno, "follows a long trail of low quality releases starting back with Golden Century for EU4" reads as "hey, I inherited this mess." True to an extent, but is Golden Century and Emperor really a "long trail" especially when Golden Century is a fan base whipping boy more for failing to meet expectations than being buggy or broken? I'm not sure what he could be referring to outside of EUIV content, but CK3 was certainly not low quality by any means.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Francis posted:

I dunno, "follows a long trail of low quality releases starting back with Golden Century for EU4" reads as "hey, I inherited this mess." True to an extent, but is Golden Century and Emperor really a "long trail" especially when Golden Century is a fan base whipping boy more for failing to meet expectations than being buggy or broken? I'm not sure what he could be referring to outside of EUIV content, but CK3 was certainly not low quality by any means.

Paradox should probably just announce eu5 already, their policy of announcing rubbish dlc is predatory and wrong

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Francis posted:

Yeah, I thought the only reason people complained about Golden Century was because it didn't rework the entirety of South America, and it got some provinces in Portugal in the wrong places? There are so many nationalists in the Paradox fanbase that it's hard to parse legit complaints from people whining about their home country not getting a 20% discipline tradition or whatever.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Red Bones posted:

Yeah, I thought the only reason people complained about Golden Century was because it didn't rework the entirety of South America, and it got some provinces in Portugal in the wrong places? There are so many nationalists in the Paradox fanbase that it's hard to parse legit complaints from people whining about their home country not getting a 20% discipline tradition or whatever.

I think the iberians have legit complaints. Half of "their" dlc was pirates and poo poo. Expel minorities was ludicrous and the opposite of what Spain actually did. So basically the only thing they got was extremely powerful mission trees for Castile and Aragon.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

The changes in the last couple of patches to the Maori iwi (tribes) in New Zealand and the South Island redraw were good. They came in response to a couple of Maori dudes posting on the forums saying "hey the way we're represented is pretty messed up, these tags are mythological, here's some actual history" and the dev who did NZ had some good discussion with them and implemented most or all of what they were asking for. Also the South Island provinces actually make sense now and reflect the landscape a lot better instead of being completely arbitrary squiggles drawn by some EU3 dev.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 16, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Wafflecopper posted:

The changes in the last couple of patches to the Maori iwi (tribes) in New Zealand and the South Island redraw were good. They came in response to a couple of Maori dudes posting on the forums saying "hey the way we're represented is pretty messed up, these tags are mythological, here's some actual history" and the dev who did NZ had some good discussion with them and implemented most or all of what they were asking for. Also the South Island provinces actually make sense now and reflect the landscape a lot better instead of being completely arbitrary squiggles drawn by some EU3 dev.

Bugs aside messing around in that area is really fun. I know the representation of the Pacific tags as organized states is iffy but it's clearly a passion project and a nice change from fighting over Europe and the med for the fifteen thousandth go around.

The new canoe sprites not having people in them is disconcerting though.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I have been trying out Leviathan now that the last of the bugs have been cleared up and Majapahit is crazy strong once you navigate the initial unrest period (which is not very hard, especially on the current patch because the collapse disaster doesn't fire at game start, it only triggers when you reload a save for the first time). Mostly because now that the region is a lot more fractured than it was in 1.30, the 'major' Indonesian powers have a hard time getting started - you can box Brunei in by allying the Hindu states on its southern and northern borders and Malacca isn't strong enough to overcome the alliance networks around it immediately.

Once you clear the disaster and turn the four starting tributaries into vassals you're one of the strongest in the region, and then you can pick up the Campaigns CB and at that point you can declare war on anyone in Indonesia without needing to border them - and there's enough tiny states in the region that it's pretty easy to take advantage of that to pick up little countries when they're weak, to get footholds in the different archipelagos. The straits have also been changed - there's now a strait between the island arc to the east of Java, and there's no strait between Java and Sumatra anymore, so with a solid Navy you're in a much better position to protect yourself from invasions from mainland Asia.

Also if you conquer ternate and tidore, vassalise one of them because once there's only one of the pair remaining on the map, it gets an event that gives it a colonist, so you can leave it to colonise for you.

I tried out the Maori states too, but forming Aotearoa didn't seem to give me any new ideas (I'm not sure if this is a bug?) and the mission tree is kind of skewed. There's a bunch of missions relating to conquering the other tribes, but the AI doesn't build to force limit because it is so short on money, so it's trivial to conquer all the surrounding Maori tribes in the first decade of the game, way before you need to use any of the missions that are meant to sort of lead you down that route.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009

Red Bones posted:

I have been trying out Leviathan now that the last of the bugs have been cleared up and Majapahit is crazy strong once you navigate the initial unrest period (which is not very hard, especially on the current patch because the collapse disaster doesn't fire at game start, it only triggers when you reload a save for the first time).

Well clearly not all bugs have been fixed then.

*Just found that sentence a bit funny. I know you meant the major bugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Hryme posted:

Well clearly not all bugs have been fixed then.

*Just found that sentence a bit funny. I know you meant the major bugs.

Yeah I should have said, the last of the bugs that make the game so broken it's unplayable. Now there's just regular bugs left.

Some of the remaining balance decisions are baffling, though. Mount Fuji is a monument with a dev cost and tax revenue modifier for that singular province if you upgrade it to the highest level. It's just a mountain province producing cows. It's not even in a chokepoint where you would want to put a fort in it and dev it up. It should give an extra missionary or something, it's a Shinto holy site.