Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Who Dat posted:

Maybe I'm stupid and am missing something really obvious, but is there a Goon guild on xbox? The Discord seems very quiet.

There is no goon guild on Xbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I got a healer to level 50 just now. This is my preferred role in ESO. So if there is need for a healer on North American PC for trials, let me know. :toot:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

IMO the whole point of an MMO is to interact with other players as much as possible. To make friends and enemies and have emergent experienced based on those interactions. From what I can tell that is just not available anymore. Best case scenario you're grinding alone while chatting on discord and occasionally you might do a dungeon or with some anonymous people you got partied with through a group finder and you'll likely never speak to any of them again.

It's pretty much what you make it however the days of Everquest and original WoW are long gone, my friend. I think because the player base for MMOs is so big and fractured, there's just too many people to really keep running into the same ones. But if you make an effort to interact, a lot of people will reciprocate. On PS4 it will be mostly emotes unless you have a BT keyboard because typing with a controller suuuuuuuucks but I often have a lot of fun with randos just by using a lot of emotes and momentos.

Having an active guild helps a lot. I like one of the guilds I am in - they type a lot (I do have a BT keyboard) and do dungeons and stuff, but they don't get all pissy if you can't or don't want to do something RIGHT NOW, or don't join discord. There is in-game voice support, but it's as bad as it ever has been so I shut it off.

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
Just recently got this on OSX. Any tips on what to do that's most fun and a good introduction to the game? Slowly started the main quest. I made a nord warden that looks pretty cool since I have a cat and my mount is a bear.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I don’t understand how people use discord for chat while playing an mmo. I’m old and out of touch admittedly, but I can’t see wanting to switch into a different application whenever I want to type something into chat, it seems like a huge pain in the rear end. Is there something I’m missing there and it’s actually good?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Snowy posted:

I don’t understand how people use discord for chat while playing an mmo. I’m old and out of touch admittedly, but I can’t see wanting to switch into a different application whenever I want to type something into chat, it seems like a huge pain in the rear end. Is there something I’m missing there and it’s actually good?
People use discord for voice chat, not typing, during games.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

People use discord for voice chat, not typing, during games.

Oh durr ok.

I don’t actually want to hear anybody’s voice :v:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Snowy posted:

Oh durr ok.

I don’t actually want to hear anybody’s voice :v:

I really wish modern games had the text to voice like UT24K did. That was hilarious.

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

abske_fides posted:

Just recently got this on OSX. Any tips on what to do that's most fun and a good introduction to the game? Slowly started the main quest. I made a nord warden that looks pretty cool since I have a cat and my mount is a bear.

Pretty much just pick a zone questline and go, because you'll get XP, items, and skill points from levels, skyshards, and the occasional quest reward, so you'll be pretty regularly given new toys. General consensus is quest writing gets better from the Orsinium DLC on, so if you want go to Wrothgar or Vvardenfell (or later expansion zones if you have access). I haven't done all the main game quests, but since One Tamriel and the zone/character scaling it can be easy to do quests out of order from the original game which might be a bit confusing if you're a story purist.

For leveling go all in on Stamina or Magicka for the easiest time killing stuff while you get a feel for the game, and whichever you use be sure to mix in some self-healing or damage shield abilities alongside your attack skills.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

abske_fides posted:

I think every story is pretty solid so I tend to go with the flow. I was hanging out in generic fantasy forest starting zone when a half demon(?) lady did the story equivalent of grabbing me by the collar and tossing me on a cart to go kill a war god for her

Is there a decent way of making money that doesn't involve paying taxes to some loser and just hoping someone goes to the one specific spot my stuff is at and finding my stuff amongst the 500 other peoples stuff

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 09:30 on May 12, 2021

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

Robo Reagan posted:

Is there a decent way of making money that doesn't involve paying taxes to some loser and just hoping someone goes to the one specific spot my stuff is at and finding my stuff amongst the 500 other peoples stuff

Not really. The easiest way to make money is to have access to a guid merchant. Otherwise you could sit in one of the major cities and try and hawk your wares in local but that's time consuming.

If you want to earn income and not use a auction house guild you could level up 18 characters and just do daily writs. With the right passives you'll make 5.1k per character bringing in almost 92k just in rewards alone a day. That's a lot of effort thought.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
The trading is the worst in any game I've ever played. However, if you use this: https://tamrieltradecentre.com/, and price yourself accordingly, my experience is that you will sell the items no matter where the trader is.

It's so, so bad though, jesus.

The housing guild I'm in apparantly dont have a trader anymore, so now I'm just hoarding stuff in a pile of misery, as I dont want to pay X or sell minimum X per week to not get booted.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oof, guess I'll try to find a decent trading guilds with no reqs. I'm still a dumb baby in this game and I'm just trying to crack 10k, meanwhile these guilds want like 500k weekly in sells

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

It's mostly because the guilds have to auction ownership of the traders, with the most popular spots being the most expensive.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Private Speech posted:

It's mostly because the guilds have to auction ownership of the traders, with the most popular spots being the most expensive.

And what is "popular" is crazy it seems. I think Vivec City is one of the worst laid out towns but when my trading guild gets our trader there I seem to sell more stuff and more expensive stuff than when we are in one of the bigger cities.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Trastion posted:

And what is "popular" is crazy it seems. I think Vivec City is one of the worst laid out towns but when my trading guild gets our trader there I seem to sell more stuff and more expensive stuff than when we are in one of the bigger cities.

Vivek city itself is ... not obvious but the fast travel shrine, merchants, crafting stations, and provisioners are super accessible to each other, making it a huge traffic area.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Doctor Zero posted:

Vivek city itself is ... not obvious but the fast travel shrine, merchants, crafting stations, and provisioners are super accessible to each other, making it a huge traffic area.

I like Riften for this myself except for the location of the Stable. Everything else is close to each other that I use it for crafting on multiple characters.

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

Doctor Zero posted:

Yeah, Vivec City and Alinor are the best cities to do crafting dailies so they can be very high traffic.
Vivec City's Vivec City-ness only matters when you're doing Vvardenfell quests.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I kept getting turned around in those big buildings in Vivek city

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Snowy posted:

I kept getting turned around in those big buildings in Vivek city
Yeah, the Cantons suck but like Cuddly says, they're not relevant for crafting/banking/buying. The crafting area is the best in the game for people who do daily writs. Some other areas come close, but none has the full package like Vivec does.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I like Rawl’kha for writs, it might not be the absolute fastest but it’s simple and the people are nice.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Any chance someone can make me a magika training set so I can research it? Tracking down all the pieces are annoying

and tbh I can't afford a full set :v:

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 11:18 on May 13, 2021

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

Robo Reagan posted:

Any chance someone can make me a magika training set so I can research it? Tracking down all the pieces are annoying

and tbh I can't afford a full set :v:

Do you need a set to level in or just a lvl 1 white quality set to research? Which armor weight?
Can hook you up after work either way, evening EST hours.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cuddly Tumblemumps posted:

Do you need a set to level in or just a lvl 1 white quality set to research? Which armor weight?

White quality light is fine. My handle is @Kiyroh. I mostly play SEA time so if there's a way to mail the stuff that'd probably be easier for us

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Yeah, the Cantons suck but like Cuddly says, they're not relevant for crafting/banking/buying. The crafting area is the best in the game for people who do daily writs. Some other areas come close, but none has the full package like Vivec does.

I got used to them playing Morrowind, but even still it took me a while to remember how they worked again.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks a bunch. It's probably my imagination but leveling feels a lot slower than the last time I played.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Robo Reagan posted:

Thanks a bunch. It's probably my imagination but leveling feels a lot slower than the last time I played.
There's a double XP thing on right now, so it shouldn't.

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Robo Reagan posted:

Friend me. If our hours overlap at times, I can queue with you for dungeons and grind down some of the exp :)

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Friend me. If our hours overlap at times, I can queue with you for dungeons and grind down some of the exp :)

Thanks but between the bonus, the training, and saving my crown xp upgrade stuff I'm at 45 so a few more dungeons and I'll be 50. Plus I deleted the mails so I don't have your @

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Robo Reagan posted:

Thanks but between the bonus, the training, and saving my crown xp upgrade stuff I'm at 45 so a few more dungeons and I'll be 50. Plus I deleted the mails so I don't have your @

It does feel pretty slow between 45 and 50, but I don't think they slowed it down. On the happy side, they made gaining champion levels go a lot faster, especially at the beginning.

count_von_count
Nov 6, 2012

valuum posted:

The trading is the worst in any game I've ever played. However, if you use this: https://tamrieltradecentre.com/, and price yourself accordingly, my experience is that you will sell the items no matter where the trader is.

It's so, so bad though, jesus.

The housing guild I'm in apparantly dont have a trader anymore, so now I'm just hoarding stuff in a pile of misery, as I dont want to pay X or sell minimum X per week to not get booted.

Seconding the TTC recommendation, it'll give you a general idea of what an item is being listed (but not necessarily sold!) at.

If anyone wants in a guild with a trader but no mandated weekly fees, DM me (same @ as SA) and I'll toss you an invite.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

count_von_count posted:

If anyone wants in a guild with a trader but no mandated weekly fees, DM me (same @ as SA) and I'll toss you an invite.

Cheers, that'd be great! Just back after a break so I'll be playing actively for a few months at least. So many patterns and stuff from playing through the reach with nowhere to sell it.

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.
Is casual pvp a thing? I don't really want to give a gently caress about optimizing builds.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I just started playing last week and finished full clearing my first Zone (Stonefall) is there a decent guide of which zones to do in which order? There is so much content and i'm not quite sure where to go from here (I'm at level 28, Sorcerer.) I did follow a build guide so i don't think I hosed up anything that can't be fixed.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Photex posted:

I just started playing last week and finished full clearing my first Zone (Stonefall) is there a decent guide of which zones to do in which order? There is so much content and i'm not quite sure where to go from here (I'm at level 28, Sorcerer.) I did follow a build guide so i don't think I hosed up anything that can't be fixed.
The main quest should guide you but:

Ebonhart Pact
Bleakrock Isle/Bal Foyen
Stonefalls
Deshaan
Shadowfen
Eastmarch
The Rift

The Daggerfall Covenant
Stros M'Kai/Betnikh
Glenumbra
Stormhaven
Rivenspire
Alik'r Desert
Bangkorai

The Aldmeri Dominion

Khenarthi's Roost
Auridon
Grahtwood
Greenshade
Malabal Tor
Reaper's March

Each set of the above would be concurrent with the main story which gives you markers. If you haven't started that go to the mysterious person who knocks you out and imprisons you in coldharbour.

After that it's:
Craglorn
Imperial City
Orsinium
Thieves Guild
Dark Brotherhood
Murkmire

Then
Morrowind
Clockwork City
Summerset

Northern Elsweyr
Southern Elsweyr

Western Skyrim
The Reach

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Story_Quests

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/525351/a-clear-step-by-step-guide-to-playing-eso-in-chronological-order

Here's a good guide

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Yeah by and large if you want to ensure Best Story Flow you want to do it in release order. It's been one of my annoyances that the game, for example, steered you into Elsweyr right away with new toons, despite the fact that breaks the original Main Quest because Abnur will recognize you in Elsweyr if you did the Main Quest first, but not in the Main Quest if you do Elsweyr first.

They're adding a "choose your starting story" for Blackwood so that'll be handy for toons where you just want to play the story in order.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Does anyone here play from Australia? Is it even playable? I'm in Sydney and when I ping the server I am getting constant 300 plus which is bad even for a MMO.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Raged posted:

Does anyone here play from Australia? Is it even playable? I'm in Sydney and when I ping the server I am getting constant 300 plus which is bad even for a MMO.

I'm in western Sydney and I use a VPN to get my ping down to like, 180? I can work with that but I don't do any hard poo poo or PVP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

The add-on PerfectWeave can really, really help with ping issues. It is super lightweight, like 2 lines of code, and has different settings if you want it to help with weaving or just compensate for shite ping.