Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Beefstew posted:

Ok, gently caress it, I got the achievement for upgrading weapons (because you just need 33 of them, and I was able to use the YoRHa ones), even though the ones requiring subdued necklaces remain un-upgraded. That counts right? That counts toward platinum completion? As much as >50% but <100% of the words does, anyway.

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Question: am I doing something wrong with fishing? I actually managed to catch a few shaman fish, but I accepted a quest where an old guy wants sardines and the instant I tilt the stick whatever fish is handing out by the old timer breaks off instantly. Do the baits just make it so you can hook stuff that’s too strong, cause I thought they were just for finding different kinds in one area.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Last Celebration posted:

Question: am I doing something wrong with fishing? I actually managed to catch a few shaman fish, but I accepted a quest where an old guy wants sardines and the instant I tilt the stick whatever fish is handing out by the old timer breaks off instantly. Do the baits just make it so you can hook stuff that’s too strong, cause I thought they were just for finding different kinds in one area.

Use lugworms as bait and go to the beach where you caught the shaman fish instead.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
That worked great, thanks! Now they’re asking me for blowfish though, and I’m guessing I need to use sardines for that. That I guess I lost even though the old man shouldn’t, you know, need to take. Ugh

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Last Celebration posted:

That worked great, thanks! Now they’re asking me for blowfish though, and I’m guessing I need to use sardines for that. That I guess I lost even though the old man shouldn’t, you know, need to take. Ugh

You can buy sardines at the tackle shop, but the correct bait is still lugworms.

Honestly I’d just look up a guide because fishing is incredibly unfair and stingy with the advice on where and what to use.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah as far as I know it's rare for the game to actually tell you what you need to do to catch specific fish, I second the recommendation to save yourself some trouble and just use a guide, you'll drive yourself crazy trying to figure it out on your own. Even when you know where to go, you still have to actually catch the fish, so it's not cheating too much imo

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

One of the fish you need to catch requires pulling the bobble out of the water on a short-bounce, which is never explained and is never for anything else prior. Use a guide please :)

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Today I was wondering how much of the final boss is you actually winning and defeating the Shadowlord vs once gestalt Yohah dies him just giving up since he has no more reason to live :smith: His whole last phase is him just wailing in anguish as the music loses more and more instruments every time you hit him

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

He has 100% just given up once his Yonah wakes up and realizes how tremendously hosed the whole scenario has become. I always read the back half of the fight with him as him just attempting suicide by replicant.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Just to confirm, can I finish the second half quests after (end game spoiler) The ending E stuff happens and it lets me get my save file back?

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

boz posted:

Just to confirm, can I finish the second half quests after (end game spoiler) The ending E stuff happens and it lets me get my save file back?

Final ending spoilers Yes you get your ending D save file back

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Edmund Lava posted:

Final ending spoilers Yes you get your ending D save file back

Thanks, spent a lot of time so far on this file and didn't want to do anything stupid.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Somebody make a version of that meme with the frog and the scorpion, but it's Nier and the Shadowlord.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Quick question for both Automata and Replicant: what the poo poo is with those translucent black bars on the top and bottom of the screen? They show up during every cutscene whether subtitles are on or not and it's always super distracting to me.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

those are called letterboxing and Nier has them semi transparent just as an artistic choice

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Doctor Nutt posted:

Quick question for both Automata and Replicant: what the poo poo is with those translucent black bars on the top and bottom of the screen? They show up during every cutscene whether subtitles are on or not and it's always super distracting to me.

It’s called stylistic choices

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Well it sucks and I hate it, love the "style" of just obscuring 1/3 of the screen in a completely unnecessary fashion. Oh well it's a small price to pay for these wonderful games.

Also I just realized that a bunch of the player corpses that are right next to save terminals are people intentionally dying there in an effort to get the corpse reclamation cheevo, it finally clicked after the 3rd or 4th time I had to activate a corpse before saving lol

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it's always interesting to get a look into someone else's thinking. "what are these black boxes that keep popping up... what could these be for"

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I think it's rude the sheep mini game in part 2 doesn't count for the sheep achievement

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I got the sheep achievement naturally just because I chose to slaughter sheep anytime I went in the northern plains lol

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Where do you access the sheep minigame?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

grieving for Gandalf posted:

it's always interesting to get a look into someone else's thinking. "what are these black boxes that keep popping up... what could these be for"

Would you like to share what they're for or just imply that I'm an idiot or whatever? There's a reason I came to the thread to mention them!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Finished first Replicant ending. Worst part was when Fyra was killed. That part actually made me go "gently caress you game."

Out of curiosity, what were peoples' thoughts/predictions on the plot who went into the game unspoiled? I'm playing it already knowing the major setting plot twists (though not the details of what happens in the endings or with each character), so I never didn't know what the shades were, etc.

edit: I'm assuming this Kaine route will explain exactly what happened in Aerie? It's obvious that gestalts were rejoining with their replicants there, but I'm not sure why it was occurring there specifically. Also, what was up with the letter? Was that just an attempt by the Shadowlord to get Nier to go get the final piece?

One minor thing that confuses me a bit is Shadowlord's actions. He takes replicant-Yonah to obviously give to "his Yonah," but Popola mentions wanting to wait another generation (presumably before joining all the remaining shades to their replicants). If this is the case, why would Shadowlord-Nier take this Yonah (since there have presumably been countless other replicant-Yonahs)? Won't his Yonah just naturally die before the rest of the "rejoining" occurs?

Also (broad spoiler-heavy question) - there's a Yoko Taro comment that the way childbirth is dealt with is that Replicants will go to the Popola/Devola of their respective villages who will put them to sleep and then basically generate the "child" replicant with a "test tube" (whatever process is used to create replicants), basically keeping the nature of replicants hidden. But there are cities that don't seem to have their own Popola/Devola. Are people from Facade and Seafront somehow meeting with Nier's village's Popola/Devola when they "have children"?

grieving for Gandalf posted:

This post confuses me because that's pretty obviously an actual graphical glitch. I don't recall any "screen goes glitchy when moving the camera" part of the first play-through in the City Ruins.

Maybe you didn't notice he posted a video instead of an image? At first glance (before noticing it was a video) I thought it was was maybe some sort of joke about having the drone be Weiss or something.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 11, 2021

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Beefstew posted:

I posted it about it last page- Don't get your hopes up tho it's nothing with any bells and whistles attached to it at all except music, basically

beep by grandpa posted:

There's a new quest I just found randomly even loooong after doing 100% of sidequests. Not sure if it's new to 1.22 or not but in Part 2 there's a guy on the east side of the northern plains who gives you a quest to run down sheep like a psychopath from a boar and it's repeatable indefinitely for money. Sheep don't actually respawn ever again in part 2 so if this is new it could be to remedy the kill 100 sheep achievement, maybe

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Beefstew posted:

Leave the village by the north exit and hug the wall on your right, you’ll run into the guard.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ytlaya posted:

This post confuses me because that's pretty obviously an actual graphical glitch. I don't recall any "screen goes glitchy when moving the camera" part of the first play-through in the City Ruins.

Maybe you didn't notice he posted a video instead of an image? At first glance (before noticing it was a video) I thought it was was maybe some sort of joke about having the drone be Weiss or something.

they are not talking about the video that you are talking about, they are talking about the letterboxing during cutscenes that frames them in a cinematic 2.35 aspect ratio

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 11, 2021

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Ytlaya posted:

That was a different guy. Doctor Nutt is the guy that is legitimately bamboozled by letterboxing in cutscenes lol

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

goblin week posted:

That was a different guy. Doctor Nutt is the guy that is legitimately bamboozled by letterboxing in cutscenes lol

Letterboxing typically cuts of the bottom and top of the screen to present a more cinematic image, the translucent nature of these letterboxes both belies that and is just plain ugly.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Really he should have just used pan and scan

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

CharlestheHammer posted:

Really he should have just used pan and scan

I mean there's no aspect ratio to be preserved here, he's literally just obscuring a third of the image but leaving it translucent. That's not letterboxing lol

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Doctor Nutt posted:

I mean there's no aspect ratio to be preserved here, he's literally just obscuring a third of the image but leaving it translucent. That's not letterboxing lol

lol

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ok thanks for your input, this really helped me understand why Yoko Taro wanted his game to look like dogshit during cutscenes, very artistic

e: lol I guess I'm the only person who finds it weird and dumb looking so... Guess I'm wrong

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 11, 2021

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

no that's still letterboxing it's just a kind of "soft" letterboxing. it's leaving the complete image in the game but directing your eyes towards the important space.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Augus posted:

no that's still letterboxing it's just a kind of "soft" letterboxing. it's leaving the complete image in the game but directing your eyes towards the important space.

I mean that does make a little more sense but I don't really think it accomplishes that in a way that was ever super notable or anything. Cutting to regular letterboxes during certain cutscenes would look a lot better imo.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Drakengard 3 used regular solid black letterboxing so it's definitely a stylistic choice for Nier in particular.
I like the effect. It's hard to describe but it kinda adds to the melancholy, dreamlike atmosphere that Nier has in a way

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Augus posted:

Drakengard 3 used regular solid black letterboxing so it's definitely a stylistic choice for Nier in particular.
I like the effect. It's hard to describe but it kinda adds to the melancholy, dreamlike atmosphere that Nier has in a way

Personally find the way the game shifts the color palette around a lot more effective at that. Glad it works for you though, I just don't like it.

On another note I rushed through route b of automata the first time I played and never really got a handle on the combat in that run, but this playthrough I'm taking it pretty slow and doing as many sidequests as possible and it's been pretty fun and rewarding. Pretty much the opposite of my experience with most side quests in Replicant.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 11, 2021

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Man this remaster/remake is so good. I looked up a video of the original and my god I cannot believe we played that back in 2010

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I am surprised at how much I ended up liking Replicant

I'm going for the plat and I never do that for videogames unless they're very special

I'm even considering playing Drakengard?

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Doctor Nutt posted:

Personally find the way the game shifts the color palette around a lot more effective at that. Glad it works for you though, I just don't like it.

On another note I rushed through route b of automata the first time I played and never really got a handle on the combat in that run, but this playthrough I'm taking it pretty slow and doing as many sidequests as possible and it's been pretty fun and rewarding. Pretty much the opposite of my experience with most side quests in Replicant.

I've watched a lot of people's playthroughs who never did it but you should use a Spear in Automata B because you can hold light attack and throw the spear so hard it goes for miles. Best weapon type for that character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sharkitten posted:

I am surprised at how much I ended up liking Replicant

I'm going for the plat and I never do that for videogames unless they're very special

I'm even considering playing Drakengard?

I started watching a let's play of drakengard to refamiliarize myself with the yoko taroverse and it is much clunkier and unpleasant than I remember it being when I played it as a kid...and yet, part of me kind of wants to dust off the ps2 and play it again anyway. It's kind of incredible how they took the slam dunk premise of "what if dynasty warriors, but you also have a dragon" and fumbled it so hard in terms of gameplay but it makes up for it in sheer weirdness of the plot, we are so blessed that sqenix was too lazy to stop him from making that game

I've never played Drakengard 3 at all, so I'm looking forward to watching that one next.