Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Quake was foundational to the esports and speed running communities. Yeah, the first is multiplayer, and it's pretty easy to argue that the StarCraft leagues were the greatest influence on esports presentation, but QDQ and Speed Demos Archive are basically the blueprints for all of modern speedrunning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I wish Quake would get modern ports like Doom does. I want Quake on Switch.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The entire 90's multiplayer FPS style, where most of the game is memorizing a route around the map to pick up the good items, is a thing that I'm glad is mostly dead.
arena FPS is cool as hell actually

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i like arena fps more than the current dynamic because arena shooters were about direct combat with other players. modern stuff like battle royales or cod have more of an emphasis on avoiding direct confrontation, and killing people from a long distance without reprisal. it's made gamers increasingly cowardly in games, which makes them less fun to play.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Tim Thomas posted:

ROTT was the first multiplayer I ever played and it was loving hilariously fun

I preferred it to doom at the time since the homing action of the missiles meant that playing against my friends who weren't as good as me was a good time versus doom where the kill counts would be so lopsided as to be fun for nobody
Yeah I get the feeling that all of the people talking about how a more grounded and less wacky ROTT would be a good thing never played it in a LAN or at least over a null modem cable, where the sheer insanity and traps and verticality were nothing but a bonus.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The entire 90's multiplayer FPS style, where most of the game is memorizing a route around the map to pick up the good items, is a thing that I'm glad is mostly dead.
I think this is a perfect example of something where a gameplay style that is perfectly suited for a small group of people who know each other playing together and enjoying the pseudo randomness and chaos breaks down at super high level play where it becomes about hup hup hupping at 500 mph and memorizing the respawn times for all the weapons.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
What was that single player focused Quake launcher and downloader that occasionally gets posted in this thread, can't remember what it's called

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

drrockso20 posted:

What was that single player focused Quake launcher and downloader that occasionally gets posted in this thread, can't remember what it's called

SQLauncher, I think?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

That's one of them, though Quake Injector seems to be the one I was primarily thinking of

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

quake is all right but that grenade bouncing noise is just top tier

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

I wish Quake would get modern ports like Doom does. I want Quake on Switch.
Gotta wait for the Year of Quake.

Also I'd love to see the Quake software renderer implemented in Unity.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Gotta wait for the Year of Quake.

Also I'd love to see the Quake software renderer implemented in Unity.

Quake does turn 25 this year so it would be cool to see something announced for QuakeCon.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Enemy Territory 2 has been overdue for an inexcusable amount of time.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Enemy Territory 2 has been overdue for an inexcusable amount of time.

it was called quake wars: enemy territory and it got 0 publisher support and died immediately, which is a shame because i liked it a lot

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
speaking of quake, i blasted through it a few months ago with the ultimate quake patch which made it feel shockingly modern and fun to play. is there a patch for quake 2 that does the same job?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Foul Fowl posted:

speaking of quake, i blasted through it a few months ago with the ultimate quake patch which made it feel shockingly modern and fun to play. is there a patch for quake 2 that does the same job?
Googling tells me that there's an Ultimate Quake 2 Patch, but if you're expecting the same level of graphical effects to be thrown on top you're gonna be disappointed - the comparison video I found mostly just showed a ton of bloom being thrown on top.

Personally, I'd recommend downloading the music and Yamagi Quake 2 for a good high-quality vanilla experience. Alternatively, if you wanna go to-hell-with-it and bust your GPU's metaphorical balls, Quake 2 RTX will do so with relish and also heels.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

The Kins posted:

Googling tells me that there's an Ultimate Quake 2 Patch, but if you're expecting the same level of graphical effects to be thrown on top you're gonna be disappointed - the comparison video I found mostly just showed a ton of bloom being thrown on top.

Personally, I'd recommend downloading the music and Yamagi Quake 2 for a good high-quality vanilla experience. Alternatively, if you wanna go to-hell-with-it and bust your GPU's metaphorical balls, Quake 2 RTX will do so with relish and also heels.

sweet, thank you. my computer is a piece of poo poo that can barely run amid evil so i'm gonna go with the first option. i'm sure it won't be as good as 1 but i actually have vague memories of playing 2 so that will probably be a good time.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/DUSKdev/status/1392469393758695426?s=20
https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1391586794223804416?s=20

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

1. What the gently caress is New Blood, is it a rereleased + remaster of Blood, huh?
2. Why would being a dungeon master change your life, and what is doing it 'cold'?

The first I got by the end of the video but it's still a weird term, the second took me a minute or three to get of clicking back and forth. It's basically a prime example of why twitter links are worthless (not an attack on you, just in general) as twitter is this hugely incestuous microcosm where everything is unintelligible when taken outside of its narrow context.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

New to the thread huh

New Blood is a publisher - they put out DUSK and Amid Evil (currently at work on Gloomwood). Dave Oshry is the head and the first guy is the developer of DUSK saying sending a private message out of the blue to Oshry with a DUSK build changed his life. They both been posted a bunch in the thread.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 12, 2021

Weedle
May 31, 2006

if you're a social media user and you don't know what it means to "dm [someone]" you're in a pretty small minority. new blood is also pretty well known (and a common turn of phrase), and a quick google search or profile click would clear it up if you hadn't heard of them before. the context really isn't that narrow given that we're in the early fps thread. it kind of just sounds like you're just mad that you didn't immediately understand the meaning of something

e: also the blood remaster is called "fresh supply" and it owns

Weedle fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 12, 2021

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
If you called New Blood a boomer shooter revival house I don't think they'd disagree.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
DM = DeathMatch

always has

always will

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I mean yea I got the meanings eventually before I made the post, and sure I'm a little mad that my old man brain had to do some work to understand what was being said, but the internet is like a series of stormy teacups and when one of them leaks you get funny situations as everyone tries to parse the new content.

Weedle posted:

if you're a social media user
I'm the most terminally online person I know IRL (and get ribbed endlessly for it), and not even I have a twitter account. ...What's the term for normalizing your life experiences, and assuming everyone must be like you? Basically that, but with the friction it entails.

I'm just here for Aeon of Wrath updates and other Quake engine goodness, don't mind me. In short,

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Serephina posted:

1. What the gently caress is New Blood, is it a rereleased + remaster of Blood, huh?
2. Why would being a dungeon master change your life, and what is doing it 'cold'?

The first I got by the end of the video but it's still a weird term, the second took me a minute or three to get of clicking back and forth. It's basically a prime example of why twitter links are worthless (not an attack on you, just in general) as twitter is this hugely incestuous microcosm where everything is unintelligible when taken outside of its narrow context.

I'm just keeping this post for posterity because i can't believe it's real

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
working late and this popped up on Spotify

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tFXGpJHoaE

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

site posted:

I'm just keeping this post for posterity because i can't believe it's real

your daily reminder that sa is now the old and out of touch internet site it made fun of years ago

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
oh be nice, SA was old and out of touch years ago.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
Is there a legal and safe way to get Aliens vs Predator 2?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Castor Poe posted:

Is there a legal and safe way to get Aliens vs Predator 2?

ebay a cd-rom. if you need it digitally you'll have to pirate it. this release has a five-year, twenty-page forum thread and nobody has said "hey there's a fuckin virus in here" so i'm guessing it's good. a couple of people reported false positives from the cracked exe but that's pretty normal. anyway this is what i would use

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=53960.0

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

A.o.D. posted:

If you called New Blood a boomer shooter revival house I don't think they'd disagree.
they're more of a novelty domain name speculator

edit: cruelty squad is the most innovative shooter i've played in years

i just got the grappling intestine and it owns so much

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 12, 2021

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Bio thruster is gross and amazing for doing a level in like a minute once you know your route.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Serephina posted:

goddam, lol

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

victrix posted:

your daily reminder that sa is now the old and out of touch internet site it made fun of years ago

Goons have been co-opting already tedious & played out twitter slang and catchphrases for as long as twitter has been around regardless of whether it makes sense, is used correctly, makes them sound idiotic, or adds pointless extra steps to expressing some sentiment we already had a word for.

Just like your parents, OP

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The not knowing who New Blood in was the funnier part than the twitter stuff imo

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Weedle posted:

ebay a cd-rom. if you need it digitally you'll have to pirate it. this release has a five-year, twenty-page forum thread and nobody has said "hey there's a fuckin virus in here" so i'm guessing it's good. a couple of people reported false positives from the cracked exe but that's pretty normal. anyway this is what i would use
IIRC Monolith's own social media stuff linked to this a couple of years ago when organizing a community multiplayer night, so it's probably the best option until the NOLF-esque legal hell the game's rights sit in gets resolved.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Weedle posted:

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=53960.0

Thank you kindly!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I was about to say something but then I realized Super HOT was almost 5 years ago.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Apparently the registered (mail order) version of DOOM 1.9 on CD is very rare, as it was obsolesced by the retail release of Ultimate DOOM in mid 1995.

Thing is, I have this CD and now I'm curious what it sells for, but I can't figure it out. I ordered it in early 1995 after getting a PC-capable-of-playing-DOOM for Christmas '94. I recall it took weeks to come in the mail, and when it did I was miffed as I saw the Ultimate DOOM at an Egghead Software like a month later. Although I was on the Internet by this time and id kindly made a patch available in the idgames repo. I've always kept this CD in a jewel case along with the sleeve. I think I still have the mail-order box although it may be carefully disassembled as I did with all my other PC big boxes when moving.

Anyways, I'm not particularly interested in selling anything, I just figured it might be the most valuable gaming-related thing I own unless somehow the registered Heretic (pre-Deathkings of the Dark Citadel) is somehow more.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I had the mail-order registered version of Doom 1.2 on 5.25" floppies because they were out of 3.5" disks at the time. Unfortunately I threw it out at some point, not knowing they'd be as rare as hen's teeth now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
Superhot was really fun but I don't know if I would list it among the 'most innovative.' It's cool that they turned the game jam aesthetic into a story/scenario. The core is still a small handful of generic, real weapons and one enemy though. Even the gimmick is just F.E.A.R. with a different trigger method.