Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
What was the early 360 game with like, 970 points that made people angry because their gamerscore would be permanently uneven?

BisterdDave posted:

I really enjoy getting achievements, but could not give a single poo poo about what value my gamerscore is.

Same, I think mine ends in a 2 thanks to Marathon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

welcome posted:

What was the early 360 game with like, 970 points that made people angry because their gamerscore would be permanently uneven?

Condemned. I think generally people get weird about point totals that don't end in 0 or 5. True Achievements has a filter for finding irregular gamerscore achievements for those people.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The Simpsons Game had one just for pressing start, which angered some folks that rented or borrowed it.

Double Dragon Neon on XBLA gave you an achievement called Skullmageddon's Curse as soon as you purchased the game, for 1 gamerscore.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Found out my irregularity comes from the XBLA version of 1942, which I wouldn't mind playing and completing, but it's not on back compat. :(

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
started playing Destroy All Humans! (2020 remake) last night and it's a pretty good Game Pass game. Dumb and shallow action game that I wouldn't recommend at full price, but it's pretty fun, has reasonably nice visuals, and is apparently pretty short if HLTB is accurate, so it hopefully won't overstay its welcome.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
gamerscore chat a good opportunity to post this classic

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just checked and my gamer score ends in 0 yet I have 231 points from Overcooked, and everything else ends in a 0 or 5. What the hell. I want an odd gamer score.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
My GamerScore is: 47,521

lol

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Soul Glo posted:

So I sent it in for repair on Monday and just got shipping notice that it's coming back, be here Tuesday (but probably able to get it from the shipper on Monday).

Serial number on the order form looks the same, and I don't see anything regarding what they did to repair. On the Device page on my Microsoft account it says "No Issues Found" under the console's status, the same as it states under both my Xbox One's.

I was hoping they would replace a power supply or just snap send me a new one, but I bet they opened it up, saw nothing obviously wrong and are just shipping it back. Be cool if there was some sort of notice as to what they did/attempted rather than this automated crap :sigh:

At the very least I'm hooking it up with my Xbox One X's power and hdmi cables when it gets back, maybe one of those was weird and tripping something in the motherboard or psu. :shrug:

My warranty runs until next March. I guess if the problem presents again I'll call and get a real person on the line and make a stink or something.

Got my repair console back and the return sheet says they checked basically everything they could that did not actually involve opening the console: HDMI port, SSD, fan, Ethernet port, disc drive, eject button, power button, on board speaker, mechanical noise, controller pairing, wifi and USB port.

Extremely bummed that they did not bother checking the PSU when I sent it in citing a power problem. As far as I can tell there is no way to actually speak to a human being through Xbox support, at least through the website or email. I guess I could hunt a 800 number down but I suspect they've automated everything post-COVID, so kind of at a loss as to what you're supposed to do beyond trying to find a new unit in a store and returning your existing defective console in that box, hoping they don't actually check serial numbers.

Good luck finding one to do that trickery with though. :sigh:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

barnold posted:

gamerscore chat a good opportunity to post this classic

Show them online like it's 2009 baby

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am always going to wish trophies and achievements didn't exist in video games. They add zero value.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I am always going to wish trophies and achievements didn't exist in video games. They add zero value.

I think they're fun and the feature adds a lot of value and enjoyment for me.

I understand not liking achievements but you can turn the notifications off and you'll rarely if ever have to interact with them.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Here's my gamercard.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Achievements can be great if they encourage you to replay a game in different ways or point toward things in the game you probably wouldn't find otherwise.

Some of my favorites are The One Free Bullet in Half-Life: 2 Episode 1 (only use one bullet during the entirety of the game) and I Have Minions For That in Titan Quest: Anniversary Edition (finish a playthrough with less than 100 kills, so go for a character build that's all about minions). Most games don't do extended challenges and just go for "collect every X" or "do this certain thing Y times" and so most achievements are not that great.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
For a little while it seemed like achievements had an actual use as a way to earn stuff like icons, avatar items, etc. I seem to remember unlocking a Red Dead Redemption shirt, Fable pirate pants, and an Iron Brigade mech toy for my Xbox 360 avatar.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just checked my score and it ends in 7 so somewhere I got a 2 or a 7 pointer. Now I have to avoid 3 point achievements

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

For a little while it seemed like achievements had an actual use as a way to earn stuff like icons, avatar items, etc. I seem to remember unlocking a Red Dead Redemption shirt, Fable pirate pants, and an Iron Brigade mech toy for my Xbox 360 avatar.

Yeah for a while there they had achievements that unlocked avatar items. Back when Xbox Avatars were the new hotness.

I don't care about my gamerscore but I do enjoy a good funny achievement title. "Not Lycan It" from RE8 and "gently caress You Missle!" from Just Cause 3 both got a chuckle out of me.

I also like getting achievements for weird poo poo I do in a game that I hadn't planned, like I got the 2 headshots with one sniper rifle shot in Cyberpunk recently and had no idea that was an achievement or that I'd actually done that until it popped up.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
So I’m looking to get into this Steep game, but everything I’ve read says the FPS boost only applies to the SERIES S. Not X. That can’t possibly be true can it?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fly Ricky posted:

So I’m looking to get into this Steep game, but everything I’ve read says the FPS boost only applies to the SERIES S. Not X. That can’t possibly be true can it?

The Series X already has the targeted frame rate by default is what I believe that means.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

My favourite achievement is Halo MCC's 'play 500 multiplayer games'. It really brings out the creativity in me.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Nowadays achievements earn you money.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

E: I can't read

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

I said come in! posted:

The Series X already has the targeted frame rate by default is what I believe that means.

Gotcha. Thanks!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fly Ricky posted:

Gotcha. Thanks!

Anything with One X enhancement already has that improvement on Series X too. Series S can't do that by default, even for OG/360 titles. They have to be improved by the devs or Microsoft with an update.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
https://twitter.com/trueachievement/status/1392144723352162305?s=21

10,000 Microsoft Rewards points is roughly $10 in Microsoft Store credit.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

10,000 points in a single month?

My current account had an xbox 360 for about 4 years and a series X since November and I have about 15,000 total.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

John F Bennett posted:

10,000 points in a single month?

My current account had an xbox 360 for about 4 years and a series X since November and I have about 15,000 total.

Yeah I'll hit the checkbox on these and be happy if I get a 1000 points or whatever out of it, I'm not going to turn it into a job to get 10,000.

Like I'll see people strategizing 'well I played Full Throttle last time, what are some other easy games to get points'. I've already seen someone listing off some 'easy to get points games' that total up spending $15 to get $10 worth of credit back.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
when i got my series s i got super into gamerscore and Microsoft rewards for a few days until i realized I'd be happier in the long run just spending money on games instead of time on money for games

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The new(?) store update is slick as hell. You can sort games by deals and view trailers without ever even clicking on them. Makes browsing a breeze.

Picked up Stuntman: Ignition for $3.50

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
For folks who are looking for Series consoles:

https://twitter.com/xboxinsider/status/1392168474961747973?s=21

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m still dumbfounded that they aren’t doing what Apple does and just letting people order the loving things and giving them an estimated date when it will ship.

People will absolutely sit on a list if they know they would get one eventually.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

American McGay posted:

The new(?) store update is slick as hell. You can sort games by deals and view trailers without ever even clicking on them. Makes browsing a breeze.

Picked up Stuntman: Ignition for $3.50

I've got Stuntman: Ignition on my psprices alerts and you just told me about the deal before they did.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Zerot posted:

I don't see it yet.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

MarcusSA posted:

I’m still dumbfounded that they aren’t doing what Apple does and just letting people order the loving things and giving them an estimated date when it will ship.

People will absolutely sit on a list if they know they would get one eventually.

Sony doesn't do it either so this makes me think that there is some weird service agreement in place with 3rd party retailers that prevents them from doing this? I dunno.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Sony doesn't do it either so this makes me think that there is some weird service agreement in place with 3rd party retailers that prevents them from doing this? I dunno.

Must be because apple sells through 3rd parties as well.

Like it’s 2021 you should be able to order something and it should ship whenever.

They know they are getting more :shrug:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Getting mad about gamerscore totals is real loving dumb, but I was under the impression that games had to have a certain amount as one of the, like, Xbox certification requirements or something. Has every game been granting 1000 total points just because that's what everyone else does?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Zerot posted:

So full complete 10 games or more likely half-rear end 20 within 20 days?

Sounds pretty poop-socky activity.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

adhuin posted:

So full complete 10 games or more likely half-rear end 20 within 20 days?

Sounds pretty poop-socky activity.

Yeah but on the flip side $10!!!

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Shame that fractured mind is not on game pass still. That was 1000 score in literally 20 minutes.

The way I see it, it's another month of Jane pass for me.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
There’s a developer that has been directly targeting the achievements crowd by putting out a bunch of super easy games and then adding even easier achievements in title updates so you can get 3000 gamerscore in an hour for 5 bucks now:

https://www.trueachievements.com/game/Bullet-Beat/achievements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
There’s a mod for Surviving Mars, which is on Gamepass, that’ll automatically give you all the achievements, minus the DLC ones. I did it last time they had this challenge