Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Oh woops, I forgot he shot in the air like an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Apparently Boogie's getting arrested, over that time where he pointed the gun at the crazy rear end stalker that showed up to his house. gently caress Boogie but honestly at the same time it kind of sucks, because the dude that just showed up on his doorstep had done poo poo like sending him pictures of him pointing a gun at pictures of him and similar freaky poo poo. He should've just stayed inside and called the cops, but like when someone like that shows up at your door, I dunno man, it wouldn't be too far out to think that this creep had showed up finally intending to hurt you or your family.

What the actual hell. Isn't pointing guns at people who step half a foot into your property the holiest social rule of the US?

It's like the culture now punishes those who do NOT shoot. Then again, Boogie is not a cop and I'm betting the stalker was white.

I feel ashamed for even the mild amusement I got over groups hounding 'lolcows' like Boogie or DSP. It was the training ground of monsters, like Keemstar and Metokur.

Is Metokur even still around? I'm afraid to check. He might be as big a figure as Jeffree Star and I don't know it yet, and in that case I'd rather retain my ignorance.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Boogie probably won't go to jail or prison for any notable length of time, given the circumstances.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I saw a Sargon fan on twitter ridicule people who pointed out Doogie Howser shows up in a Hugo Boss uniform just in case you didn't get it yet. He was acting like they were reading too much into it lol

I mean the movie is pretty explicit about how horrible humanity is and how the Terran federation are just dead eyed Nazis and the movie ends with all the humanity stripped from the main characters and they are basically dead eyed nazi troopers.

Piell posted:

Boogie fired a shot randomly into the air in a populated neighborhood.

(a) A person commits aggravated assault if, under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life, he or she purposely:
(2) Displays a firearm in such a manner that creates a substantial danger of death or serious physical injury to another person; or

That will gently caress you. People die all the time from idiots firing guns in the air or around.

Sephyr posted:

What the actual hell. Isn't pointing guns at people who step half a foot into your property the holiest social rule of the US?

It's like the culture now punishes those who do NOT shoot. Then again, Boogie is not a cop and I'm betting the stalker was white.

I feel ashamed for even the mild amusement I got over groups hounding 'lolcows' like Boogie or DSP. It was the training ground of monsters, like Keemstar and Metokur.

Is Metokur even still around? I'm afraid to check. He might be as big a figure as Jeffree Star and I don't know it yet, and in that case I'd rather retain my ignorance.

I believe he got banned from YouTube and moved to darker parts of the net. Also metokur has been around way longer then that, dude made a video of spax13 or something when I was in high school.

Archer666 posted:

I see you haven't subjected yourself to Sargon of Akkad's braincell killing video on the book, wherein he lays out the thesis that people think Starship Troopers the novel is fascist because Heinlein is very fanatical about what he's writing about and people somehow... think that makes it fascist....?

Yeah, the book is absolutely facist leaning because the Cold War broke heinleins brain super loving hard.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 11, 2021

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Sephyr posted:

Metokur's got cancer and is undergoing chemo therapy was the last I heard about him, about a year or so ago. Doubt he's doing much of anything on the internet, if he's smart. I can't think of worst ways to spend my life in those circumstances.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Sephyr posted:

The main issue was that he shot in the air like a dummy, if he'd just pointed a gun at a whacko stalker, he'd probably be a-okay on the grounds of a nutty, easy to believe possibly-violent harasser showing up out of the blue.

And yeah, he's probably gonna be okay ultimately due to the circumstances even still.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I first came across Metokur with his Spoony video and thought it was a normal internet drama channel then I started watching his Linkara ep and he got way too hung up on trans women and I thought oh he's one of those assholes.

Can't say I felt too bad when I found out he had cancer.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Metokur I only know about due to the DownTheRabbitHole video on WingsofRedemption. He seemed like a proper terrible person.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah, the book is absolutely facist leaning because the Cold War broke heinleins brain super loving hard.

One youtube comment pointed out that the Nazi uniform was not even a movie-only thing.
I haven't seen many Starship Troopers reviews, but Kyle's at least isn't just LOOK AT THE SATIRE AND FASCISM .
Granted its not hard to be better than Doug's video on it.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
So wait what's wrong about a vtuber playing electro swing. Is it like evil music or is it a performantive disgust thing like with ska

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Isn't this Chip and Dale Rescue Ranger?

Yes!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Archer666 posted:

Metokur's got cancer and is undergoing chemo therapy was the last I heard about him, about a year or so ago. Doubt he's doing much of anything on the internet, if he's smart. I can't think of worst ways to spend my life in those circumstances.

jesus. i mean gently caress him but cancer loving blows. i only knew that he left youtube

Groovelord Neato posted:

I first came across Metokur with his Spoony video and thought it was a normal internet drama channel then I started watching his Linkara ep and he got way too hung up on trans women and I thought oh he's one of those assholes.

i came across him in highschool under a different name. he made some ok videos like once or twice, like one about some dentist in florida who was a sadist and basicaly did extreme procedures and weird fillings on little kids with out pain meds and he was the only doctor who took chipp or whatever too. that was the only good video he made.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I think he was originally the "Internet Aristocrat" and I dunno how you get off making fun of anyone else after something that embarrassing.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Farg posted:

So wait what's wrong about a vtuber playing electro swing. Is it like evil music or is it a performantive disgust thing like with ska

it’s just music i don’t personally think is good

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Farg posted:

i played all the electroswing songs in synth riders and they were mostly cool. a good vr workout imo

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Archer666 posted:

Didn't even before that his fans turned on him because there's nothing that type loves better than to eat itself?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Sephyr posted:

Warning shots are dumb and dangerous. If you aim and shoot at a person breaking into your house, you're likely to hit the target or at least not shoot a random bystander. When you shoot a bullet in the air, you have no idea where its going to end up. Its basically the same as putting on a blindfold and shooting in a random direction. Also, a warning shot is just as likely to escalate the situation then to defuse it.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 11, 2021

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I thought Boogie shot into the ground? Although that's also really freaking dangerous too because bullets ricochet.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

Apparently Boogie's getting arrested, over that time where he pointed the gun at the crazy rear end stalker that showed up to his house. gently caress Boogie but honestly at the same time it kind of sucks, because the dude that just showed up on his doorstep had done poo poo like sending him pictures of him pointing a gun at pictures of him and similar freaky poo poo. He should've just stayed inside and called the cops, but like when someone like that shows up at your door, I dunno man, it wouldn't be too far out to think that this creep had showed up finally intending to hurt you or your family.

Boogie... Boogie!!

Groovelord Neato posted:

are you saying the internet aristocrat is a piece of poo poo???

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

RLM doesn't get posted here much but I wanted to post this video where Mike and Rich team up to humiliate Jay in how much of not a nerd he is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko0fKuy8z2U

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's great how their joke game show looks way better than how Doug Walker's looked.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Speaking of RLM stuff that didn't get posted, I saw this the other day and I gotta say, I do hope we get more of this sort of thing in the future because it's pretty cool to see the background goings on. Also the struggling with scanning movies into the database.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=folpZj0ORf0

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Speaking of RLM stuff that didn't get posted, I saw this the other day and I gotta say, I do hope we get more of this sort of thing in the future because it's pretty cool to see the background goings on. Also the struggling with scanning movies into the database.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=folpZj0ORf0

The shelf-stuff fascinates me because I would just have assumed they're cheap stuff from IKEA. But of course, if you have the tools and time it makes more sense to just make your own that fit your specific specification. So much work going on behind the scenes, even in the parts that aren't as obvious.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

The shelf-stuff fascinates me because I would just have assumed they're cheap stuff from IKEA. But of course, if you have the tools and time it makes more sense to just make your own that fit your specific specification. So much work going on behind the scenes, even in the parts that aren't as obvious.

Maybe it's just because I watch too many of their videos, but I would love to hear more about their process. The fact that they have actual stage sets for their goofy reviews is so cool to me.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Famethrowa posted:

Maybe it's just because I watch too many of their videos, but I would love to hear more about their process. The fact that they have actual stage sets for their goofy reviews is so cool to me.

Another place where they excel Doug and his clownshoes giant unusuable studio that he bought with patreon money.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Juniper Actias. An American vtuber who uses an anthromorphicized luna moth for her avatar.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Famethrowa posted:

The production process and equipment behind youtube videos fascinates me more than it has any right too. I want to see LED-lights, lamps, microphones, scripts, set-design, editing, all of it :unsmigghh:

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

MiddleOne posted:

The production process and equipment behind youtube videos fascinates me more than it has any right too. I want to see LED-lights, lamps, microphones, scripts, set-design, editing, all of it :unsmigghh:

RLM did a cool time-lapse of moving the Plinkett house set when they moved to their current studio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYLPWNEyxCY

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i find a lot of meta youtube stuff incredibly boring. if i hear another person go on about the algorithm i’m gonna lose it. but i do find a lot of the RLM behind the scenes stuff very interesting because they do genuine production design and handiwork and poo poo.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Every time they rebuild... THE WHEEL OF THE WORST.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Kim Justice posted:

I thought Boogie shot into the ground? Although that's also really freaking dangerous too because bullets ricochet.
"warning shots" specifically are frequently illegal(though depends on your state).
Any time you fire your firearm the bullet has to land somewhere, either in someone or something. It's justified in the context of self defense, but if you have the time and safety to fire a shot that isn't actually aimed at the person threatening you, you're still doing something dangerous except you're not actually acting to directly physically stop the person who is a threat to you.

it's similar to how people can get in trouble for "negligent discharge", aka stuff like shooting upwards into the air in celebration of something.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

watho posted:

i find a lot of meta youtube stuff incredibly boring. if i hear another person go on about the algorithm i’m gonna lose it. but i do find a lot of the RLM behind the scenes stuff very interesting because they do genuine production design and handiwork and poo poo.

I agree. It's also refreshing how they specifically don't talk about Optimizing The Algorithm. I think I even remember one of them jokingly saying to rate the video 5 stars, and that hasn't been a system on Youtube for like a decade.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

IronicDongz posted:

"warning shots" specifically are frequently illegal(though depends on your state).
Any time you fire your firearm the bullet has to land somewhere, either in someone or something. It's justified in the context of self defense, but if you have the time and safety to fire a shot that isn't actually aimed at the person threatening you, you're still doing something dangerous except you're not actually acting to directly physically stop the person who is a threat to you.

it's similar to how people can get in trouble for "negligent discharge", aka stuff like shooting upwards into the air in celebration of something.

yea I'm pretty sure even here in texas you're at least open to civil issues if you start popping 'warning shots' unless you're genuinely and actively trying to stop someone from doing life threatening harm to you. There's different levels depending on what he did exactly, with yea shooting into the air being the worst because boy that's how you wind up accidentally killing some rando half a block away, but even shooting into the ground or at something non-organic nearby falls under the 'hey don't loving play around with guns, moron' sphere.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
He wouldn't be in zero trouble, but ironically Boogie would be in a lot less trouble for just blasting the guy and claiming he feared for his life because the guy was a known stalker who'd threatened him in the past. Particularly since it happened at his residence so there was no duty to retreat.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sydin posted:

He wouldn't be in zero trouble, but ironically Boogie would be in a lot less trouble for just blasting the guy and claiming he feared for his life because the guy was a known stalker who'd threatened him in the past. Particularly since it happened at his residence so there was no duty to retreat.

yea like this 100% isn't some internet tough guy 'you gotta put the wild dogs down' bullshit (I literally don't even have any guns or anything like them) but if you are in a situation where you genuinely are firing a gun to protect yourself that bullet needs to go in the person threatening you and nowhere else. You can at least present a case for defense if you do that but 'so you were scared for your life but had enough time and clarity to actively decide to 'warn' them instead?' is a really simple question that even pretty conservative juries or judges respond to.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

RLM got me into Star Trek.
I promise I will finish updating the OP but I am struggling with things.

Internet drama just keeps getting worse and I am 0% sorry for missing the last 2000 posts.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Hey, there was a lot of good vtuber links in there.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Zedd's not dead.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Garrand posted:

RLM doesn't get posted here much but I wanted to post this video where Mike and Rich team up to humiliate Jay in how much of not a nerd he is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko0fKuy8z2U

whats sad is a knew a maybe like 10 or so of those questions.

Sydin posted:

this. i am not a big "STAND YOUR GROUND" type person, but the warning shot hosed him because it "proves" he didnt fear his life and was reckless. he would be "better" off if he had shot him because said dude was a threat to him, epically if said rear end in a top hat posted a bunch about it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah for what it's worth I am also not a gun owner and not particularly keen on the idea of Boogie shooting a guy. Gun laws are weird though and generally speaking it's only legally acceptable to fire them for a handful of activities: legal hunting, recreationally at a range or approved area, or in explicit self-defense/defense of one's family/dwelling. Ethically speaking I think a warning shot is better than just blowing somebody away in the vast majority of cases, but legally a warning shot means you didn't feel you were in immediate danger because if you were you would have shot the person instead of the ground/air - and so you should not have been firing the gun at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Zedd posted:

RLM got me into Star Trek.
I promise I will finish updating the OP but I am struggling with things.

Internet drama just keeps getting worse and I am 0% sorry for missing the last 2000 posts.
You do your best and that's enough.