Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
I can do you good shipping rates to there... All the green tolex models are gone since I posted this which is sick!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

darkwasthenight posted:

Scene: sometime last month.

"Darkwasthenight - need you to do us a quick video for this 4/20 amp promotion we're doing with Reverb. It's 5 Watts with a 112 cab and we need you to make it sound as huge as possible."

"...Can I buy two smoke machines on expenses?"

"Sure."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7qVhTo1kJU

C# standard with a drop B, if you were wondering. Gain from amp.

Never played a Hiwatt, but that sound rules.

Ola Englund got a prototype HM-2w, it owns:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QUU7i0ePSk

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Chalupa Joe posted:

Never played a Hiwatt, but that sound rules.

Ola Englund got a prototype HM-2w, it owns:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QUU7i0ePSk

I am 100% buying one. Hope it's not like 200 bucks

edit: Anyone post this thing yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZKHrTmFDuc

It's kinda cool but looks ridiculous.

Malaria fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 21, 2021

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Hiwatt is one of my favourite manufacturers ever. I've yet to be disappointed in any of their models, even the "not real Hiwatt" ones.

A Custom is on my bucket list. Some days I'm tempted to sell a bunch of other amps for one, but I don't think I can do it.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Malaria posted:

edit: Anyone post this thing yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZKHrTmFDuc

It's kinda cool but looks ridiculous.

Is that friend of the thread Joh...

"Hi, I'm FREDDY DeMarco!" :confused:

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

darkwasthenight posted:

Scene: sometime last month.

"Darkwasthenight - need you to do us a quick video for this 4/20 amp promotion we're doing with Reverb. It's 5 Watts with a 112 cab and we need you to make it sound as huge as possible."

"...Can I buy two smoke machines on expenses?"

"Sure."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7qVhTo1kJU

C# standard with a drop B, if you were wondering. Gain from amp.

That new guitar is looking and sounding :discourse:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

jim steinman died

there aren't many songwriters where I could just sit there and say "i hate basically everything you ever did"

but here we are

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

what in the world is Andrew Huang even doing

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Last time I checked he was landing on another planet, why?

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

His videos doesn't really need that framing-device though so why? Is it some kind of oblique pitch-deck for something else?

But if he's having a good time then nevermind.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I'd wager he makes a shittonne more as a youtuber than he does from spotify or whatever so he's leaning into it.

Checking out his music the listener count is way lower than I expected, the production and sound design on his electronic tracks is spectacular though.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

massive spider posted:

I'd wager he makes a shittonne more as a youtuber than he does from spotify or whatever so he's leaning into it.

Totally fine with that but to be honest I don't find the space stuff anywhere near as engaging as his normal content, so if it's not going anywhere amazing I'd rather he just skip it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Pondex posted:

His videos doesn't really need that framing-device though so why? Is it some kind of oblique pitch-deck for something else?

But if he's having a good time then nevermind.

Yeah, it's just a weird pivot. He made a video about having a baby soon, then immediately went to space.

What's extra strange is his videos have always been pretty high-production (compared to say, a SeamlessR or Mr. Bill where it's a static shot of dude in his cave/studio) and now his Ableton Live tutorials look like mid-high budget sci-fi TV. The latest one has dialogue and a cliffhanger.

It's just ... kind of rad. No one is putting nearly as much effort and money into their videos. Did he get a grant from a Canadian film board or something? A grant would explain why he's suddenly got a narrative.

For clarity: I think the guy rocks, he's obviously a brilliant musician and creative. I just want to know more.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Trig Discipline posted:

Totally fine with that but to be honest I don't find the space stuff anywhere near as engaging as his normal content, so if it's not going anywhere amazing I'd rather he just skip it.

I have this great business venture - it's "content vacation package" for online creators. For one low fee they:

- Work out a channel-appropriate narrative
- Fly you out to a disused escape room/film set
- Shoot X days worth of your content (Instagram, YouTube) using the sets and costumes provided in about 24 hours and let you go home
- Give you said X days worth of content to post up while you take a break at home for X days
- Sign a mutual NDA about the whole process so content creators can take a couple weeks off

If this isn't a package like that, I'm sure someone could get a venture like this started.

massive spider posted:

Checking out his music the listener count is way lower than I expected, the production and sound design on his electronic tracks is spectacular though.
I mean, he's a YouTuber - his primary job isn't to sell music, it's to sell ads and gear. That's not a knock on him, that's just the reality of his job. That being said, releasing music definitely adds heft to the YouTube part.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Still the dumbest guitar I own, but I had to get the red pickup rings and switch tip because the black ones just didn't look right.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
that'd look really cool all scorched up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKFQ8B4cx64

great results but 13k gbp???? does the turntable hardware he used cost that much????

edit: okay hold up yeah 10k of that is apparently the audiophile poo poo unless the 10k is separate from the 13k woodworking

muike fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 11, 2021

donut
Feb 4, 2001

muike posted:

that'd look really cool all scorched up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKFQ8B4cx64

great results but 13k gbp???? does the turntable hardware he used cost that much????

edit: okay hold up yeah 10k of that is apparently the audiophile poo poo unless the 10k is separate from the 13k woodworking

Seems like if you can find the right marks making turntable plinths is probably way more profitable than custom guitars. That's £3k for something that doesn't need anywhere near the amount of precision or hand carving that a guitar of the same price would require.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

donut posted:

Seems like if you can find the right marks making turntable plinths is probably way more profitable than custom guitars. That's £3k for something that doesn't need anywhere near the amount of precision or hand carving that a guitar of the same price would require.

Man, just wait until someone starts convincing these guys on the power of tonewood for the plinth.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

stillvisions posted:

Man, just wait until someone starts convincing these guys on the power of tonewood for the plinth.

Isn't the point of audiophilia to get the exact sound that was recorded? Wouldn't tonewood completely ruin the experience?

If course, this is not relevant for this hand carved sonically neutral king's oak plinth, which perfectly preserves the qualities of the recording.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

stillvisions posted:

The point of audiophilia is proving you have more income then someone else and pretending you are an expert on something you're not

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

If they just want mass why wouldn't he just carve one once and make a mold and pour concrete versions.
You can do all sorts of fancy finishes with it dyed, polished, embedded fiber optic lighting etc...

kare
Mar 19, 2002
Audiophiles believe in a lot of things, but acoustic treatment isn't one of them

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Thumposaurus posted:

If they just want mass why wouldn't he just carve one once and make a mold and pour concrete versions.
You can do all sorts of fancy finishes with it dyed, polished, embedded fiber optic lighting etc...

Concrete? But that’s just so... pedestrian. Anybody can get concrete because it’s plentiful and cheap, which means it probably doesn’t sound good at all.

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

Concrete impregnated with QuantumSound™ Resonating Crystals in a Triple-Helix configuation

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Acoustically tuned rebar

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

GreatGreen posted:

Concrete? But that’s just so... pedestrian. Anybody can get concrete because it’s plentiful and cheap, which means it probably doesn’t sound good at all.

OTOH I remember an audiophile-thread where someone found a jar of rocks for sale. Just regular rocks

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

quote:

Termino

Termino is plugged into any available RCA socket, both digital and analog. By covering the holes you prevent RFI/EMI from contaminating the circuit boards while cleaning the system at the same time. The Termino plug contains our best Abysscurum Crystal Formula which is a mix of quartz crystals, minerals and ore. This acts as an artificial ground that gives a more immediate performance improvement than the subpar household grounding does. The Termino is our very best grounding tweak that replaces our older Noise Terminator, Plug and all forms of Hangers we designed in the past. It's our most portable tweak that you can keep in your wallet in case of an emergency when you don't want to listen to noisy sound at your friend's place.

All electronic devices generate noise when they are turned on, this noise circulates in the audio system and affects the sound negatively. The longer the system is on, the bigger the noise becomes.

2-pack: $199 USD - Available

http://www.audiophile.rocks/termino.html

How are people getting away with not grounding their TIG welders in a bucket of these crystals? loving insane.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Man I'll sell you a bucket of mixed quartz, minerals and ore for only 50 bucks, 30 if you come with your own bucket and shovel.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

MattO posted:

Concrete impregnated with QuantumSound™ Resonating Crystals in a Triple-Helix configuation

Ah, excuse me then. That probably sounds great.

Pondex posted:

OTOH I remember an audiophile-thread where someone found a jar of rocks for sale. Just regular rocks

Wait, someone found Zycopicant Tone Rocks for sale? Do you remember the thread? Do you think they still have them?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 12, 2021

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

GreatGreen posted:

Wait, someone found Zycopicant Tone Rocks for sale? Do you remember the thread? Do you think they still have them?

Had to google that just for fun and found this:

https://www.stonetoneproducts.com/

This thread is a flat circle somehow

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

former glory posted:

http://www.audiophile.rocks/termino.html

How are people getting away with not grounding their TIG welders in a bucket of these crystals? loving insane.

I love audiophiles. What the gently caress is an artificial ground? In what universe are you modifying an amp in a house you don't live in, and how would you even hear it with the unfamiliar acoustics and talking?

But also buying higher end speakers sucks, because the seller is guaranteed to be an audiophile and be will give you well meaning advice, half of which will be good, but the other half is huffed farts. I was almost considering buying some dumb tone cables, because the things about placement and speaker size and stuff he told me made sense.

Edit: holy poo poo, that's not the full text you quoted, it gets worse. I have a hard time believing it's not a joke or a scam, it's just too over the top. But on the other hand, audiophiles.

BonHair fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 12, 2021

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Fifteen or so years ago, I did design and web work for a guy whose business was selling audio cables where the copper cable was "oxygen free" and there was a vacuum barrier between the cable and the rest of it. He paid a mint for the rights to it and it's weird to try to read about it because wikipedia says it's about the content of the copper but his whole thing was "it's like listening to your audio in space".

"The high-end speaker wire industry markets oxygen-free copper as having enhanced conductivity or other electrical properties that are supposedly advantageous to audio signal transmission. In fact, conductivity specifications for common C11000 (ETP) and higher-cost C10200 oxygen-free (OF) coppers are identical;[12] and even the much more expensive C10100 has only a one-percent higher conductivity—insignificant in audio applications.[12]

OFC is nevertheless sold for both audio and video signals in audio playback systems and home cinema.[12] "

It was hilarious at the time how what he was charging for his special audio wires was in director proportion to how much he wanted to argue down his price.

NC Wyeth Death Cult fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 12, 2021

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

BonHair posted:

I love audiophiles. What the gently caress is an artificial ground? In what universe are you modifying an amp in a house you don't live in, and how would you even hear it with the unfamiliar acoustics and talking?

But also buying higher end speakers sucks, because the seller is guaranteed to be an audiophile and be will give you well meaning advice, half of which will be good, but the other half is huffed farts. I was almost considering buying some dumb tone cables, because the things about placement and speaker size and stuff he told me made sense.

Edit: holy poo poo, that's not the full text you quoted, it gets worse. I have a hard time believing it's not a joke or a scam, it's just too over the top. But on the other hand, audiophiles.

I believe that one started out as a joke but clueless audiophiles believed in it so they pivoted to selling them for reals

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Abysscurum sounds like the currency from some lovely RPG Maker game.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

"I hooked the cord up to my MBL dac and was stunned motionless.

I became paralyzed, sort of a dream paralysis perhaps, unable to move even after the CD ended. The sound was so expansive, there were no walls, every instrument and voice could be clearly followed while at the same time the entire blend of sound was unified into a single flow of music. Even at 90db + volume with a rock beat, the music was so relaxing that I was immediately placed into a trance, unaware of my body or the room around me, just pulled along by the music."

This is for a powercable :laugh:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Pondex posted:

I became paralyzed, sort of a dream paralysis perhaps, unable to move even after the CD ended. The sound was so expansive, there were no walls, every instrument and voice could be clearly followed while at the same time the entire blend of sound was unified into a single flow of music. Even at 90db + volume with a rock beat, the music was so relaxing that I was immediately placed into a trance, unaware of my body or the room around me, just pulled along by the music."

Even ignoring how dumb that is, what do they think the input power quality is? It's the last loving part of a chain of cheap parts all the way into the power plant. How does it "clean up" anything, let alone deal with the fluctuations caused by other people charging their phones and washing clothes?

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

BonHair posted:

Even ignoring how dumb that is, what do they think the input power quality is? It's the last loving part of a chain of cheap parts all the way into the power plant. How does it "clean up" anything, let alone deal with the fluctuations caused by other people charging their phones and washing clothes?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-gift-for-music-lovers-who-have-it-all-a-personal-utility-pole-1471189463

quote:

TOKYO—Takeo Morita wanted absolutely the best fidelity possible from his audio system, so he bought a utility pole.

The 82-year-old lawyer already had a $60,000 American-made amplifier, 1960s German loudspeakers that once belonged to a theater, Japanese audio cables threaded with gold and silver, and other pricey equipment.

Normal electricity just wouldn’t do anymore. To tap into what Mr. Morita calls “pure” power, he paid $10,000 to plant a 40-foot-tall concrete pole in his front yard. On it perches his own personal transformer—that thing shaped like a cylindrical metal garbage can—which feeds power more directly from the grid.

“Electricity is like blood. If it is tainted, the whole body will get sick,” says Mr. Morita. “No matter how expensive the audio equipment is, it will be no good if the blood is bad.”

Demonstrating his power’s purity, he mounts a turntable with a vinyl record of Queen’s “I’m in Love With My Car,” settles into his sofa and beams. Pre-pole, he says, the vocals didn’t sound as lively as this.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

replacing my blood with a silicon analog to increase the mussics resonance in my body

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Pondex posted:

BonHair posted:

Bingo, BonHair. That gajillion-dollar 4 foot power cable represents what... 1-2% of the cable between the closest power line and transformer, and the stereo system.

Also yeah it's a goddamn power cable. Clarity in the "trainsients" in good stereo systems happen because of adequate wattage and good capacitors that can store lots of power for quick release for those transients that happen with loud bass drum hits or whatever. "Lower noise floor" from power sources happens when you add in independent high quality isolation transformers, which are parts that exist outside power cables.

It is complete horse poo poo.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

His record player's needle is a sliver of Freddy Mercury's skull.