Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I just build bases where the metals are lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The one thing to say about the Longship is that it's fast though. At rowing speed it's about the same as a Karve (which is bs, in multi rowing should go way faster with more people), but at windage it's like 50% faster.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

I just build bases where the metals are lol

Yeah but if I want a bunch of sconces or ironwork or something near another area that doesn't have it I need to haul that in. For general practicality you don't need much but I've been trying to make places look nice or fun and that takes a bit more work.

Or forge upgrades near areas that don't have bronze/iron.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

I never use longships anyway, the deeper draft makes them way harder to actually get around in, and in solo the extra seats are unnecessary.

But then, I sail as little as possible, I really don't find it that engaging as a single player experience.

Longship is significantly faster and has much more stowage for metals and whatnot.

A slightly deeper draft isn't that much of a problem if you just pilot it like it has a slightly deeper draft.

And sticking to a Karve for rivers makes sense and it's probably intended by the developers. Historically karves we're actually used for going up rivers.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I'm glad that they allow fairly high upwind pointing for the karve and longboat, but at the same time every time I'm beating upwind I cry a little bit inside about being able to point so high with a single square rig sail.

I know it's not "Viking" but since half this game is fantasy anyway, let me build a small sloop rig!

I built a longboat to haul iron back to my base from swamps, and promptly died in the swamp before putting down a portal. Oops. Luckily I have a portal on that island at least, it's just not particularly close. Next time I log in I get to do my corpse run.

My deaths are almost always due to poor stamina management when fighting multiple enemies, but short of stamina potions, not sure how to deal with that better.

I do wish there was a way to mod in more inventory slots for stuff like potions and food.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 11, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah, especially since weight limit is a thing anyway, having more slots just prevents tedium. Give me dedicated slots for things like food, weapons, tools, and armor that you carry 100% of the time anyway.

Fishy Flip
Jan 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I was sailing home, returning from an expedition, when I noticed a troll off in the distance marooned on a small island.

I sailed closer to investigate.

All of a sudden, out of nowhere, it started to rain.

OH poo poo!!!

OH NO!!!

Though the storm's huge waves threatened to wash me ashore, and the troll hurled boulders at me, somehow, I managed to escape.

I guess this wasn't an ordinary troll, but some kind of MAGIC STORM WIZARD TROLL. Beware of him.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The game should let me enslave my friends into rowing my longboat so I can go fast into the wind.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Kibayasu posted:

The game should let me enslave my friends into rowing my longboat so I can go fast into the wind.

this would be dope

Zyme
Aug 15, 2000

Phigs posted:

Moder lands to fight on the ground periodically so you could beat him that way.

Interestingly, I found this the easiest way to take out Moder. Just wait for her to land and then go in and melee. When I was trying to shoot her in the air I would tend to get greedy and get hit by one of the ice blasts, which was difficult to recover from. Once I gave up on doing damage during the air phase and just focusing on avoiding damage and getting full stamina again I found the fight to be much easier.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Do storms affect ships? Early on I had a raft that disappeared sheet a storm and I just assumed that's what happened to it. drat Vikings need to invent the anchor

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Glass of Milk posted:

Do storms affect ships? Early on I had a raft that disappeared sheet a storm and I just assumed that's what happened to it. drat Vikings need to invent the anchor

Yes. Ships take damage from some waves and can capsize as well.

Raging Mule
Jan 17, 2007
Special attack formation

Raging Mule fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 12, 2021

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

The Locator posted:

I do wish there was a way to mod in more inventory slots for stuff like potions and food.

There is

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Well drat.. thanks! I searched for "Inventory" and this didn't come up, just a bunch of different inventory management mods, or movable inventory frames and stuff. Never thought of searching for 'slots'. :v:

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Are some spawn spots “hot” and spawn more stuff, frequently? I’m talking generic biome, not special spawning structures.

I explored the outside of an island and found a nice spot of meadow in an otherwise swamp, plain, and tiny amount of dark wood biome. The meadow piece had swamp on one side and dark wood on the other.

Mobs were spawning constantly.

To the point that there would be no. wars between swamp and dark wood mobs.

This stayed strong for two days and then tapered off a bit for the next two days but has stayed constant since.

Is this site just cursed or what?

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
My plains base is bordering the forest and there's a war raging 24/7 between greydwarves and the plains inhabitans. Not sure if "war" is the right word, but I did find a mosquito stinger once.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Are some spawn spots “hot” and spawn more stuff, frequently? I’m talking generic biome, not special spawning structures.

I explored the outside of an island and found a nice spot of meadow in an otherwise swamp, plain, and tiny amount of dark wood biome. The meadow piece had swamp on one side and dark wood on the other.

Mobs were spawning constantly.

To the point that there would be no. wars between swamp and dark wood mobs.

This stayed strong for two days and then tapered off a bit for the next two days but has stayed constant since.

Is this site just cursed or what?

I'm pretty sure this is the case. I think it depends on the terrain and the local mobs a lot, and precise proximity to where the player(s) are. There's definitely a place near my main base where leeches are usually involved in murdering gredwarves at night.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

valuum posted:

My plains base is bordering the forest and there's a war raging 24/7 between greydwarves and the plains inhabitans. Not sure if "war" is the right word, but I did find a mosquito stinger once.

I love how as you progress through the game greydwarves steadily turn into everyone's chew toys. They get their asses handed to them nonstop trying to hang out around your base.

It would be cool if in a Valheim 2 they'd eventually try to make peace with you and they'd do chores for you around the castle in exchange for defending them.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

This guy looked at the code and made a table of everything that prevents enemy spawns in a 20m radius and gives the heat, fire, and crafting radii where applicable: https://www.reddit.com/r/valheim/comments/nak3x3/table_of_area_effects_created_by_structures/

Time to get rid of all my random, ugly workbenches in favor of much less visible unlit torches that hopefully aren't a light source like unlit campfires.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Small Valheim update hit - update your servers!

quote:

* Fixed smelter issue when a very long time has passed since visiting (10000 days)
* 30s Pre world save warning added
* Stone stair physics fix
* Inventory screen gamepad focus fix
* Large-creature visual overhaul (troll, boss-2 & boss-3)
* Troll ragdoll material fix
* Harpoon mechanics overhauled
* Engine updated (some stability improvements)
* Draugr archer visual fixes (1 & 2 star draugrs sometimes got the wrong material)
* Fixed issues when crafting station is destroyed while in use
* Creature group spawning adjusted to avoid spawning over total limit (in some cases)
* Credits updated
* Localization updates

There are some comments that this update broke some mods, so update Bepinex too.

Otacon fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 12, 2021

Uldor
Feb 23, 2009

Gear... Fourth!
I think I might need to put this down until the next major update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjlznB0Y6z8

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Otacon posted:

Small Valheim update hit - update your servers!

There are some comments that this update broke some mods, so update Bepinex too.

Updated to BepInEx 5.4.10.0 and game crashes with mods for me.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Ah yes, one of the charms of a game still in active development is regularly having to wait a couple days after each update to play again if you use mods.

Especially since it seems like these devs tolerate modding but don't really like it.

drewhead posted:

Probably because individual mods also have to be updated, yeah?

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 14:24 on May 12, 2021

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

Ah yes, one of the charms of a game still in active development is regularly having to wait a couple days after each update to play again if you use mods.

Especially since it seems like these devs tolerate modding but don't really like it.

Probably because individual mods also have to be updated, yeah?

Maybe, 5.4.10.0 is a week old. Seems more likely BepInEx needs an update to me, but I'm not crawling through code to figure it out.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

drewhead posted:

Maybe, 5.4.10.0 is a week old. Seems more likely BepInEx needs an update to me, but I'm not crawling through code to figure it out.

It seems like their Github isn't updated, but there's definitely an update from today here:
https://valheim.thunderstore.io/package/denikson/BepInExPack_Valheim/

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Otacon posted:

It seems like their Github isn't updated, but there's definitely an update from today here:
https://valheim.thunderstore.io/package/denikson/BepInExPack_Valheim/

Worked for me. Thanks fort the tip!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Uldor posted:

Thinking about gathering all the resources to build that gave me carpal tunnel.

Amazing stuff, and looks great!

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

I've decided my viking made a mistake and went to South America instead of North America and that's probably how he died. But he loved the ball game they played down there especially since the losers get murdered. So now I'm building a mesoamerican ballgame court. (Actually I had a long, thin strip of land that needed buildings to hide stuff that prevents mob spawns and more random housing wasn't going to work and this is what I felt like building). Before I show anything off, can anyone think of any way to make a vertical circle without mods? An unlinked portal is too big. It's a shame sharpening stones can't be mounted. I might rig up a way to drop one so it's standing and sparkling if I can't build anything.

Uldor posted:

Holy crap, I love everything in this video. Outstanding base!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
For those who think "more players should let me row faster, especially for the longship", there's definitely several mods that enable that exact behaviour.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Welcome to Valheim, Viking uh... farming simulator?

Honesty wish there was a way to make the good foods without doing this, it's tedious and I am guessing that this is what will be the burn-out trigger for me in this game.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

drewhead posted:

I had a whale of a time updating the client and Linux server with bepinex and valheim+ today, but it is doable. I recommend letting thunderbolt handle the client

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

The Locator posted:

Honesty wish there was a way to make the good foods without doing this, it's tedious and I am guessing that this is what will be the burn-out trigger for me in this game.

Man what killed me the most was going through the effort to keep a full stock of max tier foods, telling my friends to help themselves, and then either:
- someone dies, ask what they had running for food and find out they were still eating honey and berries
- someone dies, check their inventory, 2 stacks of lox pie and 2 stacks of turnip stew

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

drewhead posted:

Worked for me. Thanks fort the tip!

Worked for me as well. Much appreciated

The Locator posted:

There's a mod for that. There's also a mod to just give a simple visual reference that shows where to plant, eliminating the need to build a fence or w/e to plant next to. I use both, because reasons.

Some mods change such simple things, it feels like they should've been included in the base game already. I don't know how much of that is developer preference or what, but man. The first time you plant 25 barley/turnips/carrots with one mouse click, it really makes you wonder.

causticBeet posted:

Man what killed me the most was going through the effort to keep a full stock of max tier foods, telling my friends to help themselves, and then either:
- someone dies, ask what they had running for food and find out they were still eating honey and berries
- someone dies, check their inventory, 2 stacks of lox pie and 2 stacks of turnip stew

That last one makes no sense. I don't understand why someone would waste precious inventory slots on redundant food types. I've never been away from a portal for that long. The first one I can at least conceptualize, having used Honey + Cooked Meat + Grilled Neck Tail basically the entire game until I set up reliable ways to get to the really good stuff.

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 13, 2021

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The devs have made an amazing game. They also believe that allowing the player in a single player world to pause the game without logging out would violate their ~vision~. Concern about the game's future is not unwarranted.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Eric the Mauve posted:

The devs have made an amazing game. They also believe that allowing the player in a single player world to pause the game without logging out would violate their ~vision~. Concern about the game's future is not unwarranted.

I’m the project manager dragging the “players can abuse fire to kill mobs” issue up above “final boss drops placeholder item” on kanban, and then laying down to take a nap on my gigantic pile of money.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

causticBeet posted:

I’m the project manager dragging the “players can abuse fire to kill mobs” issue up above “final boss drops placeholder item” on kanban, and then laying down to take a nap on my gigantic pile of money.

it's like they're focusing on fixing exploits and bugs before new content or something

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Mooktastical posted:

There's a mod for that. There's also a mod to just give a simple visual reference that shows where to plant, eliminating the need to build a fence or w/e to plant next to. I use both, because reasons.

Some mods change such simple things, it feels like they should've been included in the base game already. I don't know how much of that is developer preference or what, but man. The first time you plant 25 barley/turnips/carrots with one mouse click, it really makes you wonder.

Thanks for this, I am absolutely going to use the mass farming mod. Your second link is bad, need to delete the "url" after 449 before the close. I took a look but I'm just going to go straight to the mass farming one!

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

I never noticed that, drat. I guess the 4x8 inventory should've been a bigger flag than it was. Welp

The Locator posted:

Thanks for this, I am absolutely going to use the mass farming mod. Your second link is bad, need to delete the "url" after 449 before the close. I took a look but I'm just going to go straight to the mass farming one!

Glad to be of assistance, and fixed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Mooktastical posted:

Glad to be of assistance, and fixed

It's beautiful... I planted something like 500 veggies in just a few minutes, interrupted by needing to repair my max quality cultivator.

There is a time mod that allows you to pause the game, just fyi. I use it only to pause and haven't played with any of the other settings. I play games solo because I have to leave the computer fairly often at short notice so not having a pause in this game is just stupid to me, so that was the first mod I added.

https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/68

Edit: Added link to time mod. Pauses with 'pause' key or when menu opened.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 13, 2021