Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

Oh no, Coleman Francis is in this movie.

He actually isn't terrible. Although he looks exactly like Ted Cruz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Light Gun Man posted:

what movie did they direct?

I hope it was someone associated with Space Travellers.

It won an Oscar!

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Trace telling a story about how someone sent in a threatening letter to the MST3K PO Box that they turned over to the cops.

I accuse Roger Corman or Joe Don Baker

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Joe Don Baker would just show up, drunk, waving around that machine gun he had in The Living Daylights, going "pow pow pow."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In case anyone thought he looked familiar the gang leader in this movie played Robert Denby in Riding with Death.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

In case anyone thought he looked familiar the gang leader in this movie played Robert Denby in Riding with Death.
I thought I recognized him but from where eluded me.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Bootleg Trunks posted:

I accuse Roger Corman or Joe Don Baker

“You think you can accuse me? You go ahead on. “

Personally I accuse my parents.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Oh no, Coleman Francis is in this movie.

It was worse: Coleman Francis was the best actor in the movie.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Nessus posted:

"Now keep in mind she can't control when the movies begin or end" with Emily on the screen oughta do it.

I think the query was more about the start of the song:"There was a gal named Em-ly, just a regular girl in a grey jumpsuit"

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I think this link bypasses it http://web.archive.org/web/20210126160733/https://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/10/magazine/10funny-humor-t.html

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You know, for a movie called "The T-Bird Gang" the titular T-Bird sure didn't feature much in it.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

You know, for a movie called "The T-Bird Gang" the titular T-Bird sure didn't feature much in it.

Trucks were featured more than the T-Bird in this movie.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

"Future War: there's no future and there's no war"

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Dawgstar posted:

Neurological actually. Mike has had a migraine since his 20s of varying intensity and at this point it seems like the only test left would be like exploratory surgery as his neurologist has put him through everything else.

I've got this. I've been through so many tests, scans and medications over many many years.

They have absolutely no idea why it's happening. They suspect that the veins leading into my head might be too thin but cannot be certain.

It sucks.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Gaz-L posted:

I think the query was more about the start of the song:"There was a gal named Em-ly, just a regular girl in a grey jumpsuit"

"A gal called Em-i-ly, is trapped in an evil scheme"?

I've been trying to work it out for days, it's odd what our brains get obsessed with.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Are we deliberately forgetting "they hired a temp by the name of Mike"? They can rewrite the lyrics however they want :psyduck:

Cercueil
Sep 21, 2006

BooDooBoo posted:

"A gal called Em-i-ly, is trapped in an evil scheme"?

I've been trying to work it out for days, it's odd what our brains get obsessed with.

Just repeat to yourself "It's just a song"...

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

Cercueil posted:

Just repeat to yourself "It's just a song"...

I know, and yet my brain does not!

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Are we deliberately forgetting "they hired a temp by the name of Mike"? They can rewrite the lyrics however they want :psyduck:

It's not so much that, it's that "Emily" is 3 syllables, but "Joel", "Mike", and "Jonah" aren't, so the regular structure of the song can't fit her in.
They'll have to rewrite of course, but HOW!?
"...and her name was Emily" would fit the rhyming scheme though.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Mike and Joel are one syllable, and they had no problem with Jonah being two syllables. They'll be fine.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Johnny Walker posted:

I thought I recognized him but from where eluded me.

You leave Robert Denby alone!

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

Data Graham posted:

Similarly, "Mike Nelson and his robot pals" becomes "Emily and her robot pals" perfectly.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

nishi koichi posted:

i would absolutely go in on an mst3k song cover collab with a bunch of goons

It really would depend on whether or not BIM is on the way.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

BooDooBoo posted:

It's not so much that, it's that "Emily" is 3 syllables, but "Joel", "Mike", and "Jonah" aren't, so the regular structure of the song can't fit her in.
They'll have to rewrite of course, but HOW!?
"...and her name was Emily" would fit the rhyming scheme though.

There is no "regular structure of the song"

Every name is handled differently

The only place it's historically been at all consistent would be "Now keep in mind EMILY can't control where the movies begin or end", but they can just do "she" if they can't spit it out that fast

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Data Graham posted:

There is no "regular structure of the song"

Every name is handled differently

The only place it's historically been at all consistent would be "Now keep in mind EMILY can't control where the movies begin or end", but they can just do "she" if they can't spit it out that fast

And even then, they fit in “now keep in mind that Jonah can’t control” into the new one. There’s a precedent for three syllables.

(...it’s just a show, etc.)

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I hope they let the hosts sing the theme again this season

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I hope they let the hosts sing the theme again this season

This is the most important bit and what they should absolutely do now that they don’t have Netflix money on top of Kickstarter money.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

There are a few things I do get grognardy about in the Netflix opening and hope they manage to be a little less cargo-cult about this time around:

- The pause in the song when Jonah decides to go help, no sir, I don't like it

- "I'll send him cheesy movies" — the camera is pulled so far back you can't even see that it's Kinga saying the line. Make it a close-up, preferably with gross old film reels or projectors or VHS tapes or figure out some way to do a "digital streaming" visual joke, don't make it an establishing shot, drat. That's like legit bad directing

- The "la la las" as trumpets as I mentioned before, and the mad drumming during robot roll call, like just calm down ffs; I guess I just don't know about the whole "house band" concept (though "Skeleton Crew" is a good gag), it feels rather tonally inconsistent in a way I can't really articulate

I don't know, "overproduced" is a word that gets bandied about but in the case of this kind of lo-fi thing it's really easy to ruin it by putting one more dollar into it than you should have

e: the band holding saxophones up to their closed helmets and pretending to play them as they sway around, I guess that might be intended to be "ironically stupid", but it just looks stupid

And also like I mentioned the retro instrumental versions of songs like "Creepy Girl" felt really fun when the whole idea was nostalgic wallowing like "hey we brought it back against all odds", but after a while it just started to grate, like they were milking it for every commercial break

e: and another thing, how does he eat and breathe

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 12, 2021

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
How can they ask us to relax while they're literally screaming the theme :ohdear:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The wording of theme song has always been super-flexible. The first part has, at least; the back half has been a lot more stable. But compare the Joel theme to one of the themes from the SciFi Channel seasons. In between "not-too-distant future" and "send him cheesy movies", there's not a single word in common.

And this is a great excuse to post my favorite flowchart.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I don't know how you can hear that song and think "wow, every syllable of this is placed very precisely by a meticulous composer" - especially since there have been like 6 different sets of lyrics

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
I don’t care about any of this- I just want them to bring back the la la la’s.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

:eyepop:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Hooray! Coleman Francis is in this movie!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'd forgotten about Mike's migraine thing, that must be so fuckin' unbearable. Never mind not getting involved in the revival, I don't think anyone could fault him for taking long breaks from everything to lie down in a dark room.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

I'd forgotten about Mike's migraine thing, that must be so fuckin' unbearable. Never mind not getting involved in the revival, I don't think anyone could fault him for taking long breaks from everything to lie down in a dark room.

Or watch a nice soothing film about setting up a classroom

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
I wonder if migraines could be the result of poor posture? Has he made the knee test?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I wonder if migraines could be the result of poor posture? Has he made the knee test?

i will not make the knee test! :colbert:

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Don't do this during the speech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

Pointless, deleted.

BooDooBoo fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 12, 2021