Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
someone can tell me where to be of getting computer part.

many thanks

e: amd is fine... :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Smythe posted:

many thanks

Online options include amd website, best buy, b&h, Zotac, and newegg shuffle. Micro center also has GPUs but many are reserved for full builds. If you get a card get 2 and send me one!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Anti Plum posted:

I signed my 3060ti up for a step-up to a 3070 FTW3 ULTRA and just got the email saying they're going to review the invoice.

Is it worth it to upgrade from 3060 ti ftw to the 3070? I'm not really sure. I'm tempted to just try and get another retail 3000 series and flip the 3060ti maybe.

When did you sign up for the Step Up? Just curious.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Anti Plum posted:

I signed my 3060ti up for a step-up to a 3070 FTW3 ULTRA and just got the email saying they're going to review the invoice.

Is it worth it to upgrade from 3060 ti ftw to the 3070? I'm not really sure. I'm tempted to just try and get another retail 3000 series and flip the 3060ti maybe.

Worth is relative my dude

That 3060ti could you get you two 3070 and some change some places

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Smythe posted:

many thanks

I’ll show you

Bring your two rocking chairs lmao

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Hello fellow Bay Area goon! Which of the five stores did you get those photos?

Did you buy it? It’s gone now including the 1650s I didn’t post about lol

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Smythe posted:

many thanks

You need to specify a little of what your needs are, because "I want to play games from the past seven years" and "I just want to get a desktop picture because this CPU has no onboard video" are two very different price tiers. If it's the latter, RX550s from China are still sold at a price that can't be called a good value but also won't get a spouse yelling at you about how your kid will never go to a good college because you had to have a desktop PC.

If you want to enjoy recentish games you should probably find a newer run of Xbox or something.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Alucard posted:

Online options include amd website, best buy, b&h, Zotac, and newegg shuffle. Micro center also has GPUs but many are reserved for full builds. If you get a card get 2 and send me one!

ok done. but what is the secret website where i can buy it right now for msrp. thanks in advance

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

You need to specify a little of what your needs are, because "I want to play games from the past seven years" and "I just want to get a desktop picture because this CPU has no onboard video" are two very different price tiers. If it's the latter, RX550s from China are still sold at a price that can't be called a good value but also won't get a spouse yelling at you about how your kid will never go to a good college because you had to have a desktop PC.

If you want to enjoy recentish games you should probably find a newer run of Xbox or something.

i woudl nebver buy a console... what do u think i am?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Newegg shuffle has been a loving joke lately though.

Unless you are in the market for an insanely overpriced motherboard with your GPU.

Anti Plum
Sep 15, 2007

mutata posted:

When did you sign up for the Step Up? Just curious.

I signed up Feb 5 2021.

Alan Smithee posted:

Worth is relative my dude

That 3060ti could you get you two 3070 and some change some places

Yeah I should have stepped up to a 3080 to make it worthwhile maybe.

Doomtrain
Sep 12, 2006
A mood train?

Smythe posted:

many thanks

First you must post one hundred times on the EVGA forums. Then you must snatch the pebble from my hand. Only then can you purchase computer part.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Alan Smithee posted:

Did you buy it? It’s gone now including the 1650s I didn’t post about lol

Oh, no, haha—I was just curious in case anybody I know locally was interested in giving it a shot. I got my EVGA 3080 through step up a couple of months ago and have graciously retired from the race.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
https://www.zotacstore.com/us/graphics-cards/geforce-rtx-30-series?limit=36

Apparently zotac is doing a queue?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Smythe posted:

ok done. but what is the secret website where i can buy it right now for msrp. thanks in advance

Alan Smithee Pee see dot com bitch

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

Alan Smithee Pee see dot com bitch

this mf scalpin' :argh:

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

lol

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Smythe posted:

2girls1cpu.com

Yup they just started it yesterday, definitely not going to lead to more abuse by bots... It's even got a picture captcha that is clearly impossible to get around!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Smythe posted:

you gotta buy it from Fauxtool in SA-Mart. for 150 over MSRP but that's a fraction of what the scalpers on ebay etc want and you're supporting a goon. literally the best deal on the planet if you want a card somewhat reliably within the next month or so lol

i got my 3070 from him today and it's maaaaaaaagnificent. so many frames. my virtual airplanes are so shiny and smooooooth

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Is that a line to register yourself in the buying line?!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

you gotta buy it from Fauxtool in SA-Mart. for 150 over MSRP but that's a fraction of what the scalpers on ebay etc want and you're supporting a goon. literally the best deal on the planet if you want a card somewhat reliably within the next month or so lol

i got my 3070 from him today and it's maaaaaaaagnificent. so many frames. my virtual airplanes are so shiny and smooooooth

ok this is my poo poo. thank you based sagebrush.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

bus hustler posted:

What resolution etc you're already at now matters. To give you an example though the 1080ti (top of the stack) is still viable, and the 2080ti is basically a 3070 for most intents and purposes so yeah usually buying at the high end doesn't exactly get you "future proofing," but it gets you a much more graceful decline phase.

At low-er than 4k resolutions though the 3090 is really wasted so it does get into "predict the future" areas. Maybe something will come along and utilize that extra VRAM and whatever other benefits the 3090 gets you, but it's also totally possible both get obsoleted for DLSS4.20 long before that anyway.

This is why I can't decide between just jumping on the 3090 or just trying to jump right away on the 3080 Ti, since I play at 3440x1440p at 100 Hz, but the monitor does have G-Sync. Part of me thinks the 3080 Ti will hit the nice balance of some longevity vs performance, but a part of me likes the idea of the 3090. Ideally I'd like to hold on to the card for 4-5 years...

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
would it be stupid to put in for a RX 6700 XT? a do a little video editing but mostly want a pc to game on. also do some obs streams (for work, sorry creeps)

i also push udp streams around a lot but i think thats mostly CPU? =O

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
If you want to hold onto the card for five years definitely go with the 90 and the extra buffer.

There's going to be a major rush on the 80Ti because everyone seems to think/hope there'll be enough supply and/or they'll get lucky. There's an easy path to get a 90 *right now* through Step Up and clearly not many people are taking advantage of it.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 12, 2021

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Smythe posted:

would it be stupid to put in for a RX 6700 XT? a do a little video editing but mostly want a pc to game on. also do some obs streams (for work, sorry creeps)

i also push udp streams around a lot but i think thats mostly CPU? =O

Nvidia has the far better gpu encoder.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Kibner posted:

Copy that. Cheers.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Kibner posted:

I have a vega56 and it cuts my encode down by a factor of 5, and videos turn out the same quality, now during STREAMING the nvidia codec/encoder is better.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

mutata posted:

Signed up for EVGA Step Up for the EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING ( https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=24G-P5-3987-KR ) on the 4th of May and I got the email today that I'm done with the queue and they're reviewing my invoice.

Got the Step 3 email tonight and I can submit payment now.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If you want to hold onto the card for five years definitely go with the 90 and the extra buffer.

There's going to be a major rush on the 80Ti because everyone seems to think/hope there'll be enough supply and/or they'll get lucky. There's an easy path to get a 90 *right now* through Step Up and clearly not many people are taking advantage of it.

I've typically been averaging 3ish years per card, but with a 4 month old and 4 year old, I feel like whatever the final system configuration I have now I'm probably going to have to get some good life out of... but I also hate the idea of thinking I can get "future proofing".

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

SourKraut posted:

This is why I can't decide between just jumping on the 3090 or just trying to jump right away on the 3080 Ti, since I play at 3440x1440p at 100 Hz, but the monitor does have G-Sync. Part of me thinks the 3080 Ti will hit the nice balance of some longevity vs performance, but a part of me likes the idea of the 3090. Ideally I'd like to hold on to the card for 4-5 years...

Let me save you some time; you and 98% of us won't be able to get a 3080ti at MSRP. It looks like the 3090 step up on EVGA is the only place to get a high level 30 series card without having to pay the 3x resale price or waiting till late 2022 for stock to normalize.

mA fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 12, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

SourKraut posted:

I've typically been averaging 3ish years per card, but with a 4 month old and 4 year old, I feel like whatever the final system configuration I have now I'm probably going to have to get some good life out of... but I also hate the idea of thinking I can get "future proofing".

Yeah, it's not futureproofing, it's a long-term bet that the extra buffer will be worthwhile over time. I'm sure the botters are already tuning up for launch day on Best Buy's website so they can snag the majority of the FEs, and it's no real coincidence or surprise that none of the AIBs have leaked any pricing info yet. They have no reason *not* to tack on an extra $2-400 onto the FE's pricing with their initial release because they know they'll get it.

I eventually want to get a 1600, 1800, or 5K2K Ultrawide to replace my 1440p UW so going with the 3090 was a no brainer for me.

mA posted:

Let me save you some time; you and 98% of us won't be able to get a 3080ti at MSRP. It looks like the 3090 step up on EVGA is the only place to get a high level 30 series card without having to pay the 3x resale price or waiting till late 2022 for stock to normalize.

This. Eventually someone's going to leak EVGA's short 3090 Step Up queue to too many people and the window of opportunity will close.

It honestly comes down to whether you want to roll the dice on an almost infinitesimally small chance of scoring an 80Ti FE, or whether you can afford the (likely) $300-500 difference there'll likely be between the AIB 80Tis and the FTW3 Ultra 90. Also, just riffing here, but EVGA hasn't changed their prices in a very long time and they're honestly due to. It would not surprise me in the slightest if they don't raise them to coincide with the 80Ti launch to take extra profit. They're still a company, first and foremost.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:32 on May 12, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Smythe posted:

many thanks

I’m getting mine by buying a Dell prebuilt

prices may be higher now than they were 2 weeks ago

Edit: just saw your post about wanting a pc to game/work/stream on. That was my plan too, ~$2k for a new i7, 32gb, and 3060ti seems like a good deal. Last I checked there were several less expensive AMD options too.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 12, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Also, for those who ARE taking advantage of the 3090 Step Up, if you bought the $20 10y extended warranty for your GT-series card, once you're through the process, please confirm once and for all that you did/didn't have to pay the $40 difference between the lowest purchase and highest purchase tier? Thanks in advance.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:11 on May 12, 2021

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

since 3080 ti isnt out yet could one theoretically get in on the step up queue for it early enough even though it's gonna get pwned so that you're in line for like an "early" fall release

i ask this even though I saw how the kingpin drop went

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m getting mine by buying a Dell prebuilt

prices may be higher now than they were 2 weeks ago

Edit: just saw your post about wanting a pc to game/work/stream on. That was my plan too, ~$2k for a new i7, 32gb, and 3060ti seems like a good deal. Last I checked there were several less expensive AMD options too.

i'd buy a prebuilt but it seems so gross to me. cant do it lol. lets see if this revulsion endures my aging rig rendering video over the next week or so.

ive literally never bought a prebuilt, even as a lad me ol paps would take me to pc club to buy parts :911:

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Smythe posted:

i'd buy a prebuilt but it seems so gross to me. cant do it lol. lets see if this revulsion endures my aging rig rendering video over the next week or so.

ive literally never bought a prebuilt, even as a lad me ol paps would take me to pc club to buy parts :911:

At least buy from a company that uses off-the-shelf parts so you can at least pretend you built it yourself, instead of seeing one from Dell where they stamp their logo over everything and use the bottom shelf version of every component

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Anti Plum posted:

I signed up Feb 5 2021.

Yeah I should have stepped up to a 3080 to make it worthwhile maybe.

If you can get a 3080 FE at retail price (still possible in some places) then you can flip the 3060Ti and cover the cost of 3080 and still have some change left over.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I wish I wasn’t afraid of getting screwed on eBay, because I have a barely-used EVGA 3060 Ti in its box that I could sell for a pretty good amount it seems…

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

SourKraut posted:

I wish I wasn’t afraid of getting screwed on eBay, because I have a barely-used EVGA 3060 Ti in its box that I could sell for a pretty good amount it seems…

gently caress ebay. Don't pay their fees or risk the buyer ripping you off. Use FB marketplace or your equivalent of craigslist. If you're concerned about inviting someone to your home (reasonable given the value) meet the buyer somewhere like a bank or police station (some of them have trading points for this purpose).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

it dont matter posted:

gently caress ebay. Don't pay their fees or risk the buyer ripping you off. Use FB marketplace or your equivalent of craigslist. If you're concerned about inviting someone to your home (reasonable given the value) meet the buyer somewhere like a bank or police station (some of them have trading points for this purpose).

How do you go about verifying if the card actually works? It's not like you can just light it up right there and then, unless you're carrying a barebones ITX system or something