Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

neonchameleon posted:

The ME3 ending works as is ... mapping to the right hand half of the dialogue wheel. It's a perfectly consistent ending for a Shep that ended up with Wrex dead and genocide on the Quarians or the Geth (I don't care which).

What it entirely lacks is an upper left blue or a lower left red option. I know what lower left red should have been; Shephard signalling "Now, Joker!" and Joker shooting the Conduit. Cue Mass Effect Relay explosion that takes out Shep, the Allied fleet, the Reaper fleet, Citadel, and Earth - but everything else survives (including the Normandy, jumping to Hyperspace). The Renegade making the hard choice. I just don't know what a satisfying and non-cloying upper left blue could have been.

Paragon Shepard ending is just Shepard using empirical evidence from the games to prove that the Star Child doesn't actually exist causing the Catalyst to just pop out of existence, and then Shepard traps the Reapers in a logical paradox that destroys their little AI brains. Then all the Reapers are still around and just dead, setting up the stage for the next Mass Effect where a bunch of species get indoctrinated by the dead Reapers.

Alternatively I like the Refuse ending except I pretend the devs didn't kill it by claiming the next cycle used the Catalyst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

bobjr posted:

Shepard becomes a reaper who kills all the other reapers honestly isn't the worst idea on paper

Could have made a whole "God Emperor of Dune" vibe that can really work as the capstone of the series.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Bongo Bill posted:

Any official change to the ending would be reopening old wounds, and fanfic about alternatives is best shared among your closer friends. Just let it go.

Everyone in this thread is a close friend. Wtf

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
The ME3 ending is good and people need to stop crying about it. It was a decade ago.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

axeil posted:

The ME3 ending is good and people need to stop crying about it. It was a decade ago.

but what if saving the rachni was worth it?

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Earth just needed to be much more reactive to your choices through the Trilogy, something modders were hard at work on.

Also axeil your avatar is... just horrifying.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
To paraphrase Winston Churchill: the ending to ME3 may be poo poo, but the graphics and gameplay of ME1 are rear end. And next week, the graphics and gameplay of ME1 will not be rear end, but the ending to ME3 will still be poo poo.

The whole appeal of a remake of a game is to improve the graphics and gameplay, because that's where the substantive experience is. If they redid the ending then people could just read a summary or watch a video of it and go "ah, yes, that's much better". But redoing the gameplay requires people to actually buy and replay the games and give EA more money.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Changing the ending of ME3 would be a terrible idea for them because all it would do is reignite the flame wars that almost killed the franchise back when ME3 first came out. Leaving it alone only pisses off the people who already weren't getting the game.

The time to change the ending, or define a canon ending, is when ME4 is closer to release. When it will be more palatable due to the whole "Well we had to pick *one* of them to keep the game going okay?"

The alternative is pulling a deus ex with "All of them are true but it doesn't actually matter."

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

if me3 has what counts as a good ending... what does a bad ending look like :ohdear:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I keep saying it. The real ending of me3 is the multi.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I keep saying it. The real ending of me3 is the multi.

I miss the mp to 3. Was the multiplayer in Andromeda as fun as 3?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It wasn't as good, but it was far and away the best part of Andromeda. I doubt you'd find any games now but on launch it was certainly worth playing. Except for the balance being so screwed that the first patch doubled the damage of almost all weapons.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Spacebump posted:

I miss the mp to 3. Was the multiplayer in Andromeda as fun as 3?

It was released in a very poorly balanced state, was greatly improved in a major rebalance patch, but support of the game ending early meant it ended up with a lot less content than ME3MP and it never got to the place where it could start introducing more unique classes/powers (the last unique to MP power added was Warp)

The character/item pool also ended up pretty bloated compared to ME3 so it had a much more unfriendly grind.

If it had gotten ME3's level of support, I honestly think it could have been just as good if not better because I definitely enjoyed playing it while it was active but the games reception plus lack of updates to keep it fresh meant it just died out and didn't have ME3's longevity. I've tried going back to it occasionally and there's no active player base.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Everyone in this thread is a close friend. Wtf

Oh, very well. Here's how I'd do it, then:

The Reapers don't have a twist. Their reproductive cycle involves assimilating scientifically advanced cultures and they prefer to do it before they can materially fight back. The Crucible takes control of the entire mass relay network, the most powerful and consequential of all the Reapers' creations. By weaponizing them, you can use them as giant gently caress-off space guns and destroy all the Reapers. With a low war strength number, this makes them run out of juice and they all break down and the galaxy settles in to a dark age of isolation. However, with a high number, you can instead face an ethical quandary with far-reaching consequences: you can either leave the relay network intact as it is, so that the Reapers' designs for the structure of galactic society remains intact, only without the threat of eventually being Reaped; or you can convert them into a new kind of FTL travel system that's not as fast or efficient but still lets people travel around the galaxy freely, without being tied to the layout of the network.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm 100 percent okay with the ending remaining unchanged in this because I had no expectations anything like that would be substantively altered in a remaster and neither should any of you. But ME4 is definitely retconning Shep's death one way or another and I'm not gonna be mad about it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't think they could do anything further to fix ME3's ending that wouldn't involve rewriting the whole game, but I do kind of wish we could at least see what it was going to be with the whole "dark energy" plotline that was set up in 2 and was supposed to be the original ending.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I don't think they could do anything further to fix ME3's ending that wouldn't involve rewriting the whole game, but I do kind of wish we could at least see what it was going to be with the whole "dark energy" plotline that was set up in 2 and was supposed to be the original ending.

Well, wonder no more I guess: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-19-ex-bioware-writer-discusses-dropped-ideas-for-mass-effect-trilogy-ending

quote:

Despite describing the plot thread as "something that wasn't super fleshed out", Karpyshyn was still able to give gaming radio show VGS a detailed summary of how the storyline might have developed.

"Dark Energy was something that only organics could access because of various techno-science magic reasons we hadn't decided on yet. Maybe using this Dark Energy was having a ripple effect on the space-time continuum.

"Maybe the Reapers kept wiping out organic life because organics keep evolving to the state where they would use biotics and dark energy and that caused an entropic effect that would hasten the end of the universe. Being immortal beings, that's something they wouldn't want to see.

"Then we thought, let's take it to the next level. Maybe the Reapers are looking at a way to stop this. Maybe there's an inevitable descent into the opposite of the Big Bang (the Big Crunch) and the Reapers realise that the only way they can stop it is by using biotics, but since they can't use biotics they have to keep rebuilding society - as they try and find the perfect group to use biotics for this purpose. The asari were close but they weren't quite right, the Protheans were close as well.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Dark energy plot sounds even dumber than robot war and was even less foreshadowed.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I just want a Refusal Ending that isn't "You lose". Mass Effect 1 & 2 were building them up as a big bad force that we can never take on conventionally, but then throughout three they start to give us hope that maybe it *IS* possible if you can assemble a large enough galactic alliance except whoops, nope, gotta use the Macguffin with three Pyrhhic-at-best, Potentially-Morally-Horrifying outcomes.

Give us a scenario where, if we have enough EMS (make it a super high threshold or something, I dunno), where Shepard listens to the three solutions, argues a bit then goes "Holy poo poo, you're scared, aren't you? That's why you're trying to force me into one of YOUR three options." Cut to a brief shot of the tide of battle slowly turning in your favor. Starkid flatly denies, Shepard continues "You should have crushed us by now. You haven't." etc. Saw a fanfic-alt-ending of this scenario once, loved it. No rewriting of existing endings needed. Just add one more that goes "gently caress you, no, I win." that people who skip a bunch of poo poo or make costly-to-EMS mistakes will find actually hard to unlock.

I know this'll never happen, I'm just throwing out what I would want since people are doing it anyway. I was okay with the post-director's-cut endings, I just wish the Refusal Option wasn't a guaranteed loss.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Doctor Nutt posted:

I'm 100 percent okay with the ending remaining unchanged in this because I had no expectations anything like that would be substantively altered in a remaster and neither should any of you. But ME4 is definitely retconning Shep's death one way or another and I'm not gonna be mad about it.

Liara brings Shepard back from death again Cerberus style, defends her decision saying it can’t be worse since it already happened once.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I would have liked and ending where Shepard and the Star Child fight and it looks like the Star Child is going to win but then do you remember how Shepard has like red eyes after Cerberus made him into a robot? Well turns out they gave him eye beams and he uses those to blast the Star Child who falls off the citadel and dies (or does he?) Then Shepard would say something like "I guess we couldn't see eye to eye after all." Anyways that's what I would have done.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

bobjr posted:

Liara brings Shepard back from death again Cerberus style, defends her decision saying it can’t be worse since it already happened once.

Plot twist, she has to use Cerberus' data from ME2 so Shepard has no memory of the events following ME1.

Mass Effect 4: The Hangover

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
So basically what people want from ME3 remaster is a different game entirely that doesn't suck, has a better narrative, has a better ending. We know none of that is happening.

Maybe the real solution is just to replay 1 + 2 again if so inclined and skip over 3 entirely since they chopped out the multiplayer part? And you can do that right now using the original releases for pennies on the dollar.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mass Effect 3 is good.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

Mass Effect 3 is good.

:emptyquote:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Mass Effect 3 is good.

It's excellent. It really is.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Someone on these forums yelled at me once when I said the battle for Palaven was amazing and one of the most epic moments I've ever had in a video game. :(

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 09:05 on May 12, 2021

Dec 30, 2008
As many problems as I have with the writing in ME3, I don't think it's reasonable to expect them to go back and change any of it. I do wish they would have used this opportunity to flesh the entire game out a bit more, not just the ending. I remember ME3 just feeling really rushed, full of those Dragon Age 2 style fetch quests, and there were major story events that only really seemed to make sense if you made specific choices in the previous games. Initially when the remaster was announced I was excited to go back and play the trilogy again, but having since played the Nier remake I'm left imagining what could have been if this ME remaster had been a labour of love instead of the cash grab it appears to be. I'm still excited to go back and play an updated ME1, but I don't know if I really want to put myself through ME3 again.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

gently caress the plot. Its just window dressing for some insanely sick combat. It flows so loving well it isn't even funny.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

BlazetheInferno posted:

I just want a Refusal Ending that isn't "You lose". Mass Effect 1 & 2 were building them up as a big bad force that we can never take on conventionally, but then throughout three they start to give us hope that maybe it *IS* possible if you can assemble a large enough galactic alliance except whoops, nope, gotta use the Macguffin with three Pyrhhic-at-best, Potentially-Morally-Horrifying outcomes.

Give us a scenario where, if we have enough EMS (make it a super high threshold or something, I dunno), where Shepard listens to the three solutions, argues a bit then goes "Holy poo poo, you're scared, aren't you? That's why you're trying to force me into one of YOUR three options." Cut to a brief shot of the tide of battle slowly turning in your favor. Starkid flatly denies, Shepard continues "You should have crushed us by now. You haven't." etc. Saw a fanfic-alt-ending of this scenario once, loved it. No rewriting of existing endings needed. Just add one more that goes "gently caress you, no, I win." that people who skip a bunch of poo poo or make costly-to-EMS mistakes will find actually hard to unlock.

I know this'll never happen, I'm just throwing out what I would want since people are doing it anyway. I was okay with the post-director's-cut endings, I just wish the Refusal Option wasn't a guaranteed loss.

I feel like this idea is really bad because instead of taking issue with like, the suddenness with which the "AI conflict" idea is introduced or the janky way the ending choices are expressed, it's just "I didn't like that there was a decision to make that didn't involve Shepard winning easily, in a way that makes no sense given the introduced stakes of the story".

I think it's unambiguously a good thing that the game ends with a decision point instead of a straightforward military victory. It would be one thing if the Reapers were a conventional enemy, but it's hammered home again and again throughout the trilogy that they're almost impossible to defeat, especially in ME3 itself.

I think the problem with ME3's ending is just that its premise is very suddenly introduced and the Synthesis choice is shallow and confusing despite being the obvious attempt at implementing a "best" ending. The little cinematic of the relays blasting blue/red/green lasers also completely sucks and read to most people as "space travel is over", despite that not being the intent. The core idea of having to make some sort of sacrifice or compromise to defeat the Reapers isn't a bad one, I think.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
Yeah an appropriate solution to the Synthesis issue would be a lesser variant of it being both what the Quarians and Geth achieve to resolve their conflict, rather than just a ceasefire after being yelled at for their golden ending and a vague expression of the idea from Legion's character resolution.

If you have two races narratively defined by opposing one another, the solution being a discovery of how to materially and spiritually transcend that dynamic fits much more than just a tentative peace being achieved, and foreshadows Synthesis as the optimal ending better.

Destroy and Control are obviously foreshadowed through Anderson's and Illusive Man's motives and through how you choose to address the genophage, but Synthesis has no equivalent.

CPFortest fucked around with this message at 10:14 on May 12, 2021

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I watched that speedrun some folks mentioned last night and what in the actual gently caress at that Ilos singularity box walking poo poo. It was pretty funny how eye-opening it was for the devs too, sounds like they had no idea about most of it so chances are it may still 'work' in the remaster. It was also sweet how they started pouring one out for Wrex on Virmire before remembering the speedrunner never actually recruited him in the first place so he's still chilling in C-Sec.

I still don't 'get' the whole 'crouch against a wall-reload-you are now floating in the air' thing. How do they even discover this poo poo? There was a good 45 seconds where the guy is just walking through an empty void with nothing to indicate a correct direction to head in before suddenly finding themselves above the Hot Labs or the Normandy. Reminded me of a Metroid Prime run that was similarly ridiculous.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sentinel Red posted:

I watched that speedrun some folks mentioned last night and what in the actual gently caress at that Ilos singularity box walking poo poo. It was pretty funny how eye-opening it was for the devs too, sounds like they had no idea about most of it so chances are it may still 'work' in the remaster. It was also sweet how they started pouring one out for Wrex on Virmire before remembering the speedrunner never actually recruited him in the first place so he's still chilling in C-Sec.

I still don't 'get' the whole 'crouch against a wall-reload-you are now floating in the air' thing. How do they even discover this poo poo? There was a good 45 seconds where the guy is just walking through an empty void with nothing to indicate a correct direction to head in before suddenly finding themselves above the Hot Labs or the Normandy. Reminded me of a Metroid Prime run that was similarly ridiculous.

I loved their on-the-spot fanfic about what happens if you don’t recruit Garrus and how just stays at C-SEC and is broken by his miserable dead-end job and winds up a pudgy middle aged dude with a wife and kids and a mortgage he’s struggling to pay off.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

gently caress the plot. Its just window dressing for some insanely sick combat. It flows so loving well it isn't even funny.

If I was judging the ME series on single player combat alone then Andromeda would be the best entry in the series.

Yeah.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

here's how it should have ended: Shepard, Anderson and all the crew and their allies gather around the war table in London. Shepard says "Is this the end of our adventure? Nothing has an end. We came in search of a way to defeat the Reapers, to kill gods. And here we are, mortals. More human than ever. If we have not obtained galactic peace, at least we have obtained reality. We began in a fairytale and we came to life! But is this life reality? No. It is a game. Zoom back camera!" and then the camera zooms back and you can see all the level geometry and Wrex starts clipping through the floor. then the game crashes to desktop

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lt. Danger posted:

here's how it should have ended: Shepard, Anderson and all the crew and their allies gather around the war table in London. Shepard says "Is this the end of our adventure? Nothing has an end. We came in search of a way to defeat the Reapers, to kill gods. And here we are, mortals. More human than ever. If we have not obtained galactic peace, at least we have obtained reality. We began in a fairytale and we came to life! But is this life reality? No. It is a game. Zoom back camera!" and then the camera zooms back and you can see all the level geometry and Wrex starts clipping through the floor. then the game crashes to desktop

This but toss in a hall of mirrors effect from an unfinished Doom 1 level back in 1993.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Any idea when the Steam preload is going live?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

On Origin it says 4PM BST

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

nine-gear crow posted:

I loved their on-the-spot fanfic about what happens if you don’t recruit Garrus and how just stays at C-SEC and is broken by his miserable dead-end job and winds up a pudgy middle aged dude with a wife and kids and a mortgage he’s struggling to pay off.

Exactly! Make that game tomorrow and it’ll sell. Hard boiled, middle aged spread birdman ‘tec working the wards, Garrus Murtagh is too old for your poo poo. Pair him up with a young Alliance hotshot and off they go busting a big red sand smuggling ring on Zakera. Throw in Udina trying to pull a diplomatic immunity and we’re golden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

thrilla in vanilla posted:

It’s almost as good as the “giant Shepard robit should vanguard charge harbinger” “idea” post.

Mass effect was a mistake. I’m sorry everyone

pls do not compare my good and thematically consistent poetic ending with the one from guy who doesn't understand anything about game dev or good writing