Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Epic High Five posted:

Gun violence is a public health issue, and the public health response is clear - an absolute and total abolition of handguns without a single exception for anybody or any reason. Arguing anything else is just unserious unless it's about enforcement after the fact

I think that is a good start tbh. Can you tell me why any individual citizen needs an Assault rifle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TulliusCicero posted:

I think that is a good start tbh. Can you tell me why any individual citizen needs an Assault rifle?

Can you read?

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Huego posted:

"I'd personally be willing to support the thing that benefits you, but only after the thing that benefits me. I've never been in any mortal danger and cops call me 'sir' when they pull me over for having too many amiibos hanging from my rear view mirror."

Yeah you're right, nonwhites are notoriously well-treated by the US health system, good point

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Yeah you're right, nonwhites are notoriously well-treated by the US health system, good point

Also notoriously well-treated by white men telling them to wait their turn.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Huego posted:

Can you read?

I agree with the idea of banning hand guns? I think that's what they are saying?

Is that what they are saying? I don't even know anymore. :shrug:

I also think guns pretty much besides like hunting rifles should be banned tbh.

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TulliusCicero posted:

I agree with the idea of banning hand guns? I think that's what they are saying?

Is that what they are saying?

I also think guns pretty much besides like hunting rifles should be banned tbh.

Then what was with the pissy little gotcha question about assault weapons?]

Lol let's make sure white men's favorite guns aren't banned, nothing must ever endanger White Hobbies. Bow hunting doesn't make your dick bigger.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Huego posted:

Lol let's make sure white men's favorite guns aren't banned, nothing must ever endanger White Hobbies. Bow hunting doesn't make your dick bigger.

I have never even hunted, nor do I own a gun. I'm just going by like the laws in Australia and like Canada, which seems like a compromise that's at least somewhat possible if highly unlikely.

I'm not sure why you are going after me so hard? I would ban all guns if I thought it was possible.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Huego posted:

i think the point of the question about assault rifles was that nobody needs an assault rifle

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

James Garfield posted:

i think the point of the question about assault rifles was that nobody needs an assault rifle

:ocelot:

^This one gets it:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

TulliusCicero posted:

Statistically, they're irrelevant. Under 500 people a year are murdered with rifles compared to over 7,000 with handguns. Barely more than shotguns whose primary function as you said you'd support is hunting and recreation. Additionally, the most high profile stuff attributed to rifles is done by people like affluent boomer militia types and Paddocks who would not be stopped by any additional cost and likely any actual law with even a single loophole.

If you're worried about gun violence there really is a big single thing everybody should be focusing on. A rifle ban would be less of a net good for public health than a swimming pool ban. We need to move away from legislating from opinion and reaction

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Epic High Five posted:

Statistically, they're irrelevant. Under 500 people a year are murdered with rifles compared to over 7,000 with handguns. Barely more than shotguns whose primary function as you said you'd support is hunting and recreation. Additionally, the most high profile stuff attributed to rifles is done by people like affluent boomer militia types and Paddocks who would not be stopped by any additional cost and likely any actual law with even a single loophole.

If you're worried about gun violence there really is a big single thing everybody should be focusing on. A rifle ban would be less of a net good for public health than a swimming pool ban. We need to move away from legislating from opinion and reaction

That's still 500 people who aren't gun murdered a year, though?

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TulliusCicero posted:

I have never even hunted, nor do I own a gun. I'm just going by like the laws in Australia and like Canada, which seems like a compromise that's at least somewhat possible if highly unlikely.

I'm not sure why you are going after me so hard? I would ban all guns if I thought it was possible.

I had a cop's gun in my face today so I'm cranky. Yes. Ban all guns and anyone who doesn't like it can eat one.

The thing about "possible" is we don't have to pick and choose between gun control and other dramatic quality of life improvements like UHC. A country with the political will to do one can do the other. "Choose" and "wait your turn" and "one thing at a time" are all stalling tactics by people who don't ever want better things to become possible.

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Epic High Five posted:

Statistically you're irrelevant, does that make it ok to shoot you?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Herstory Begins Now posted:

That's still 500 people who aren't gun murdered a year, though?

Yep, but as I brought up, even hunting intended firearms are responsible for almost as much but people seem to be happy to exempt them, so it's not the net loss of human life that they are being discussed alongside the elephant in the room

Huego posted:

Statistically you're irrelevant, does that make it ok to shoot you?

Opinion and reaction, a lot of people are really quick to acknowledge that it is a public health concern while rejecting public health analysis and solutions. If you want to make it a moral thing that is also inconsistent, just say so. That's been the status quo so far and it's what has gotten us to this point.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Epic High Five posted:

Yep, but as I brought up, even hunting intended firearms are responsible for almost as much but people seem to be happy to exempt them, so it's not the net loss of human life that they are being discussed alongside the elephant in the room

I only saw a single person make a comment about exempting hunting rifles

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Epic High Five posted:

Opinion and reaction, a lot of people are really quick to acknowledge that it is a public health concern while rejecting public health analysis and solutions. If you want to make it a moral thing that is also inconsistent, just say so. That's been the status quo so far and it's what has gotten us to this point.

Friend are you calm-hitlering me about gun murder.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Huego posted:

I had a cop's gun in my face today so I'm cranky. Yes. Ban all guns and anyone who doesn't like it can eat one.

The thing about "possible" is we don't have to pick and choose between gun control and other dramatic quality of life improvements like UHC. A country with the political will to do one can do the other. "Choose" and "wait your turn" and "one thing at a time" are all stalling tactics by people who don't ever want better things to become possible.

Hey that is horrible and sucks that happened to you :(: genuinely hope you are safe and with people you trust

Epic High Five posted:

People's lives aren't irrelevant, no matter how "low the number"

If you can prevent deaths you can prevent deaths. Also you still haven't answered the question: why should I, a common citizen own an assault rifle? What greater good does it serve to me or society that I would have one?

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Love too narrowly escape becoming a hashtag only to log onto the world wide web and have a white man tell me I'm too emotional about wanting to end gun violence.

TulliusCicero posted:

Hey that is horrible and sucks that happened to you :(: genuinely hope you are safe and with people you trust
Thank you <3

TulliusCicero posted:

People's lives aren't irrelevant, no matter how "low the number"

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I think some of you need to take a minute to cool off and step back from the edge before this conversation heats up enough that buttons are forced to be deployed.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I think a state where most guns are banned but people can have (regulated) guns for hunting and range shooting makes a lot more sense than a state where most guns are banned but you can have an AR for some reason.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

James Garfield posted:

I think a state where most guns are banned but people can have (regulated) guns for hunting and range shooting makes a lot more sense than a state where most guns are banned but you can have an AR for some reason.

right, we can pretty much borrow the same licensing and taxation scheme we use for vehicles, except better than that, because that system is also pretty bad in america compared to other, saner places

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

James Garfield posted:

Why is that the conversation though. Why is it so necessary that we do an incomplete job of this obviously good thing with zero drawbacks besides "the worst people in our society won't like it."

Do we debate UHC by first agreeing that obviously anything that happens to the left side of your body won't be covered.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I only saw a single person make a comment about exempting hunting rifles

And they're free to respond, but allowing for birding shotguns and bolt actions is the #1 go to for the gun control crowd to make it seem like they're being reasonable while calling for abolition of guns that kill just as many. It's not at all uncommon to run into, and this particular strategy was also present in leftist platforms like Bernie's where it was no more correct

American gun culture is super hosed up to the point that it's in the minds of everybody here. Banning handguns without exception and addressing poverty through whatever means available is the best route to maximizing the number of lives saved every year

TulliusCicero posted:

If you can prevent deaths you can prevent deaths. Also you still haven't answered the question: why should I, a common citizen own an assault rifle? What greater good does it serve to me or society that I would have one?

I don't see why what individuals want or feel they deserve should come into it at all, on either side. Hence my preface of insisting on public health solutions, aka treating it as a public health issue, aka epidemiology and identifying the clusters of causation and crushing them. Once ARs kill as many people a year as handguns it'd be obvious they should be snatched and banned first instead

I'll stop now though because the warning has been issued and I'm the minority opinion here and I'd rather be able to post in the morning

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Epic High Five posted:

And they're free to respond, but allowing for birding shotguns and bolt actions is the #1 go to for the gun control crowd to make it seem like they're being reasonable while calling for abolition of guns that kill just as many. It's not at all uncommon to run into, and this particular strategy was also present in leftist platforms like Bernie's where it was no more correct

American gun culture is super hosed up to the point that it's in the minds of everybody here. Banning handguns without exception and addressing poverty through whatever means available is the best route to maximizing the number of lives saved every year

I don't see why what individuals want or feel they deserve should come into it at all, on either side. Hence my preface of insisting on public health solutions, aka treating it as a public health issue, aka epidemiology and identifying the clusters of causation and crushing them. Once ARs kill as many people a year as handguns it'd be obvious they should be snatched and banned first instead

I'll stop now though because the warning has been issued and I'm the minority opinion here and I'd rather be able to post in the morning

I can see, in all sincerity, how intoxicating it must be to imagine yourself the arbiter of justice, deciding whose life is worth saving and whose life isn't. But that's not actually your job, and you don't seem to be particularly qualified for it. Someone murdered with a rifle is just as dead as someone murdered with a handgun. You have a lot to say about "logic" but there's nothing logically inconsistent in "I think all instances of the bad thing should be prevented."

When legislators set down laws about choking hazards for kids they didn't carve out an exception for choking hazards that happen in the woods. It's not "all infant pajamas have to be non-flammable except for the ones with camo print on them."

Do the whole job. Stop me if you've heard this one, but all lives actually do matter.

Huego fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 12, 2021

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
Sorry to derail a bit here, but given the USA's utterly insane (imo) gun culture, why the hell are we not performing better in the Olympics? The last time we won the most medals/golds in shooting was 1984.

It's not even just China that is beating us. We're actively in competition with Italy, Germany, and Russia. Anyone follow the sport more and have a good idea why this stuff isn't translating well into performance in the Olympics?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gentleman Baller posted:

Sorry to derail a bit here, but given the USA's utterly insane (imo) gun culture, why the hell are we not performing better in the Olympics? The last time we won the most medals/golds in shooting was 1984.

It's not even just China that is beating us. We're actively in competition with Italy, Germany, and Russia. Anyone follow the sport more and have a good idea why this stuff isn't translating well into performance in the Olympics?

The best US shooters are dead or in prison

But seriously its just there isn't a culture of gun mastery in the US, just ownership

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Gentleman Baller posted:

Shooting in the Olympics uses baby calibers and 99% of super huge gun people/hoarders don't actually maintain or learn to shoot the ones they do own, none of which are in 22lr. Also Oly shooting typically comes after a whole boatload of cardio which, lmao. Anyway pretty much every oly sport is actually gatekept by wealth more than anything else at this point and domestic pro sports aren't far behind

edit - oh and the olympic rifles used for shooting aren't actually that fun to shoot and cost as much as 10 decent ARs

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Gentleman Baller posted:

To toss a guess out I'd say the people that really want to compete in shooting in the USA might be scaring off the people who actually have a talent for sharpshooting? Pistol shooting competitions are pretty chuddy, if I'm remembering right.

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Epic High Five posted:

Shooting in the Olympics uses baby calibers and 99% of super huge gun people/hoarders don't actually maintain or learn to shoot the ones they do own, none of which are in 22lr. Also Oly shooting typically comes after a whole boatload of cardio which, lmao. Anyway pretty much every oly sport is actually gatekept by wealth more than anything else at this point and domestic pro sports aren't far behind

edit - oh and the olympic rifles used for shooting aren't actually that fun to shoot and cost as much as 10 decent ARs

I literally know nothing about this sport - what kind of cardio? Do you carry your gun while you do it?

Has anybody ever been murdered with one of those guns outside of like a British TV show where everyone wears damp sweaters?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Gentleman Baller posted:

Americans love guns because they grant anyone the power to murder large numbers of people without needing skill or any serious investment of time or effort. Doing something with guns that’s hard or that you have to get good at defeats the entire purpose.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Gentleman Baller posted:

Olympic shooting is like dressage- there are a bunch more horses in the US too, but in both cases the culture isn't self-selected to only appeal to useless monied idiots who can practice 40 hours a week.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Huego posted:

You're completely right, we don't have to pick and choose. I just think it's loving weird and telling when you see some posters suddenly adopt a strident abolitionist tone on guns and guns only, despite eschewing this kind of thinking in basically every other area in favor of vague lullabies about the progressive direction of society or whatever the gently caress eventually taking care of problems on its own. That doesn't seem to describe you so all I can really say is the original bit wasn't directed at you :shrug:

I'm sorry a cop did that to you and I'm glad you're okay. poo poo is terrifying

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Bishyaler posted:

Wishing that the US was Australia in culture, gun or otherwise does not make it so.

i agree, the united states has never shown the popular support for socialist policies on levels approaching the rest of the globe. things like medicare for all will never be a fit for american culture and it's pointless to point to other developed countries as an example

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Huego posted:

I literally know nothing about this sport - what kind of cardio? Do you carry your gun while you do it?

Has anybody ever been murdered with one of those guns outside of like a British TV show where everyone wears damp sweaters?

My knowledge is not exact but its either the bi or triathalon that has you do it after one or both of a brutal swim and a brutal bike ride. The goal is to truly test your skill by making you exhausted beforehand. The guns themselves are built for the athlete in question, use a special grade of 22lr, and the penalties for missing are brutal. Basically zero intersection with US gun culture unless you're training as a sniper

If there is traditional shooting sports they are probably similar but minus the cardio element. I'll admit that I find archery to be the more interesting shooting sport

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Think you might be conflating the triathlon, which is swimming, biking and running in succession (but no shooting at all), and the biathlon, which is skiing broken up by a series of shooting ranges.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

ninjahedgehog posted:

Think you might be conflating the triathlon, which is swimming, biking and running in succession (but no shooting at all), and the biathlon, which is skiing broken up by a series of shooting ranges.

Yeah sorry, I'm looking into it more now for exact details, was posting on my phone as my dog has decided (incorrectly) that midnight is also a time we go out every day. I know the details of the shooting but not really the events because I've never watched them

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Huego posted:

Biathalon is a cross country ski race where you carry a rifle, then periodically have to stop and shoot some targets with extra penalty distance added for each one you miss.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Foxfire_ posted:

Biathalon is a cross country ski race where you carry a rifle, then periodically have to stop and shoot some targets with extra penalty distance added for each one you miss.

I thought it was speed dating ladies and dudes but I guess that's just me.

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ninjahedgehog posted:

what

Foxfire_ posted:

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
Thanks for the responses, man that's loving dour though. :sigh: