Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Oracle posted:

WHO CLOSED THE DOORS BEHIND HIM

There's like a giant squid thing in the lake in front of the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

There's like a giant squid thing in the lake in front of the door.

It's not so good at closing the doors though. In fact it's so clumsy that it destroys the doors trying to politely close them behind the Fellowship.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Ginette Reno posted:

It's not so good at closing the doors though. In fact it's so clumsy that it destroys the doors trying to politely close them behind the Fellowship.

He’s just mad because they left his doors open

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
that password is really lovely infosec, good job elves as usual

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Leave it to JRRT to make that whole plot point hinge on a piece of grammar/translation trivia

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ginette Reno posted:

The doors are pretty loving closed now though.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
The balrog blamed the fellowship for wrecking his back door, it was self defense

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the cavern doctrine

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Alhazred posted:

The doors are pretty loving closed now though.

only for as long as it takes to move the rubble, at least they are easy to find now

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

Data Graham posted:

Leave it to JRRT to make that whole plot point hinge on a piece of grammar/translation trivia

Yeah this gets misunderstood a lot (not helped by the movie which changed it or at least made it unclear): it isn't a secret password at all, Gandalf just made a translation error. "Mellon" isn't the key, it's the doorknob.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

eonwe posted:

that password is really lovely infosec, good job elves as usual

Hey it kept the most powerful wizard and emissary of the gods currently walking Middle-Earth out for HOURS. (of course that's because he was too drat paranoid for his own good and the doors were more to keep out wildlife than enemies. 'It was a simpler time' and all).

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Oracle posted:

WHO CLOSED THE DOORS BEHIND HIM

A wizard did it

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

eonwe posted:

the real question is would it have flown back to it's dungeon or walked

what if, just a crazy thought, but bear with me, what if Frodo flew to Mt Doom on the Balrog's back?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Yeah this gets misunderstood a lot (not helped by the movie which changed it or at least made it unclear): it isn't a secret password at all, Gandalf just made a translation error. "Mellon" isn't the key, it's the doorknob.

It's not even necessarily an error, if he had just read the inscription out loud the doors would have opened. But he had to show off his mad Elvish skillz...

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Zopotantor posted:

It's not even necessarily an error, if he had just read the inscription out loud the doors would have opened. But he had to show off his mad Elvish skillz...

Maybe Celebrimbor was contemptuous of the Dwarves writing the password on the door, and that's why he wrote Moria ("Black/Evil Pit") on the doors before the Balrog showed up.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I like the moment when Gimli and Legolas realize that a dwarf and an elf built the door together. Then they start arguing about who's fault it is that they stopped being allies.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Zopotantor posted:

what if, just a crazy thought, but bear with me, what if Frodo flew to Mt Doom on the Balrog's back?

why not on gandalf's back

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zopotantor posted:

Can't fly if you don't have wings.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Oh what shall we do with the funny little things?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bongo Bill posted:

In my imagination, the two blue wizards were exactly the Blues Brothers.

Reaching back over twenty pages and three months to applaud this

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Would the goblins and the Balrog had found the Fellowship if Pippin hadn't dropped the stone down the well?

You can chalk this up to the way the movies portrayed it, but I just re-read A Journey in the Dark and the sequence of events still works. I always interpreted it that if the Fellowship had stayed quiet they would have made it through Moria without incident.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

FBS posted:

Would the goblins and the Balrog had found the Fellowship if Pippin hadn't dropped the stone down the well?

You can chalk this up to the way the movies portrayed it, but I just re-read A Journey in the Dark and the sequence of events still works. I always interpreted it that if the Fellowship had stayed quiet they would have made it through Moria without incident.

If the orcs hadn’t attacked them in the chamber of Mazarbul then they would have taken the main path down from the upper levels and gotten blocked off from the exit by the giant burning fissure right before the bridge and would have had to turn around and find some other way.

Also Gollum might have ratted them out to the orcs anyway. We know he was following them before any Tookish foolery took place

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

skasion posted:

If the orcs hadn’t attacked them in the chamber of Mazarbul then they would have taken the main path down from the upper levels and gotten blocked off from the exit by the giant burning fissure right before the bridge and would have had to turn around and find some other way.

I always assumed the burning fissure was set up as part of the attack at Mazarbul, but the Fellowship just found another way out. Never considered the fissure being a preexisting trap they set up years ago.

quote:

Also Gollum might have ratted them out to the orcs anyway. We know he was following them before any Tookish foolery took place

That's definitely something he would do. Had Gollum been through Moria before?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

I dunno about that. At least not intentionally. He didn't want anyone but himself to get the ring.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

FBS posted:

I always assumed the burning fissure was set up as part of the attack at Mazarbul, but the Fellowship just found another way out. Never considered the fissure being a preexisting trap they set up years ago.

That's definitely something he would do. Had Gollum been through Moria before?

Gollum was trying to find his way out of Moria when he stumbled across the fellowship, I believe. Tolkien talks about it in Unfinished Tales.

quote:

He hid himself in Moria. What happened then to Gollum cannot of course be known for certain. No doubt he had intended to use Moria simply as a secret passage westward, his purpose being to find 'Shire' himself as quickly as he could; but he became lost, and it was a very long time before he found his way about. He knew nothing about the action of the doors. It was thus a piece of singular good fortune for Gollum that the Nine Walkers arrived when they did.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

FBS posted:

That's definitely something he would do.

No, I agree with Ginette Reno he 100% wouldn't. Orcses would take the Precious.

If he could figure out a way to lure Frodo away and then get the rest of the Fellowship murked he would, but. well, good luck with that, and he's already had unpleasant enough encounters with Aragorn and Gandalf that he'd be very cautious about tangling with them.

FBS posted:

I thought the Book of Mazarbul mentioned it, but I went back to check and there's nothing:

quote:

We cannot get out. They have taken the Bridge and second hall. Frár and Lóni and Náli fell there.

The symbolism of trapped by fire at one end of Moria and water at the other is nice though.

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 10:33 on May 13, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The orcs would kill the others, Frodo would escape and then Gollum could track him one on one

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

MadDogMike posted:

Maybe Celebrimbor was contemptuous of the Dwarves writing the password on the door, and that's why he wrote Moria ("Black/Evil Pit") on the doors before the Balrog showed up.

You absolute fucker why did you point this out lmao. I'll never enjoy Tolkien again now.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

SeductiveReasoning posted:

You absolute fucker why did you point this out lmao. I'll never enjoy Tolkien again now.

Maybe Gandalf was just translating on the fly and knew noone would know what he was talking about if he called it like, Hadhodrond.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Oracle posted:

Maybe Gandalf was just translating on the fly and knew noone would know what he was talking about if he called it like, Hadhodrond.

No such luck, the inscription as Tolkien wrote it on his drawing definitely says “Moria”. Elves may have originally intended the name as a bit of a burn, but the dwarves constantly use the name in the text without any obvious derogatory intent.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

The door was made so it would be easier to trade with the elves west of the mountains so maybe they just used the name elves were more familiar with or Celebrimbor just used the name he had always used :shrug:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I had also forgotten how incredibly thirsty Gimli is after Galadriel. In the movies there's one scene where he asks for some straws of her hair. But in the books he's constantly going on about how fair she is and even threatens to kill Eomer when he doesn't immediately agrees that she's the prettiest being in the whole of Middle- Earth.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Alhazred posted:

I had also forgotten how incredibly thirsty Gimli is after Galadriel. In the movies there's one scene where he asks for some straws of her hair. But in the books he's constantly going on about how fair she is and even threatens to kill Eomer when he doesn't immediately agrees that she's the prettiest being in the whole of Middle- Earth.

She gave him hospitality and a very significant gift when basically everyone else in town including her own retainers was loving him over, and then some guy comes along calling her a sorcerer. He’d be kind of a heel if he didn’t defend her reputation after that.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I'm not a good enough fan to remember the specifics (or google them) but wasn't there specifically a parallel between someone else ages back who asked her for her hair and she turned him down and it was a Big Deal, and so it was an even bigger deal that she said yes to the same request from a dwarf?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dark cave doesn’t sound necessarily derogatory

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Feanor asked her for a hair three times and she turned him down.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Imagined posted:

I'm not a good enough fan to remember the specifics (or google them) but wasn't there specifically a parallel between someone else ages back who asked her for her hair and she turned him down and it was a Big Deal, and so it was an even bigger deal that she said yes to the same request from a dwarf?

Yea, it was Feanor

euphronius posted:

Dark cave doesn’t sound necessarily derogatory

Elves don’t like dark and black things — remember, “dark elf” was an insult among the Noldor. There also seems to be a bit of a cultural complex about living in caves there — Thingol and the king of Mirkwood live in caves, but the exiles don’t, except Felagund who was the chillest of the Noldor.

Also, when dwarves lived there it wasn’t even dark, according to Gimli.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Perhaps the name came from an early period of exploration and just stuck like “America”

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The real answer is that elves are assholes. The real answer is always that elves are assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

sweet geek swag posted:

The real answer is that elves are assholes. The real answer is always that elves are assholes.

^^^ this ^^^