Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

yeah cars shouldn't be allowed anywhere near people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I put some red bar tape on my bike to match the frame color and it already looks like poo poo 300 miles in.

Same but white and it was like 3 miles in

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

yeah cars shouldn't be allowed anywhere near people

I never really thought deeply about this until I had children where I spend an enormous amount of thought and energy trying the keep them from being killed by cars.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Sab0921 posted:

I never really thought deeply about this until I had children where I spend an enormous amount of thought and energy trying the keep them from being killed by cars.

sure. can’t even let a small kid walk down the sidewalk because a neighbor could easily back right over them coming out the driveway

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Electric cars pretty much put an end to kids playing outside on the street all on their own :(

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

learnincurve posted:

I cannot abide the only choice being gendered colours, believe me my butch arse looks stupid on a pink bike plus I’m 41 god drat years old and I can’t drive so bikes are my only form of transport. Fun bright colours on a weekend bike sure, but I just can’t turn up for a super serious job thing and have a 5 year old in a unicorn T-Shirt point at my bike and go “look mummy that lady has the same bike as me” because that’s the exact point anyone stops taking you seriously. :(
LOL gently caress alladat. I'll ride what I want (bright orange family bike, pink sorbet MTB).

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Yehhh I live in a country that coined the phrase “she e o” and ran this advert campaign

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcjlzSod0CE

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

serious gaylord posted:

4 years ago you guys gave me the push to do something I'd always wanted to do, which was design and make my own kits. I did it on my own with far too little money behind me and just a handful of friends backing me up. I learnt some horrendously harsh lessons but at the same time I can now count a Track champion as a friend and I got my stuff on Olympic Gold medalists. Not bad for a guy who just wanted to make bonkers stuff for himself really.

Snagged one of the last Café jerseys. I've loved my kit since I got it back then, sorry for the returns hell I put you through (via Yodel :commissar:) by ordering a size too small in the bibs.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
U.K. goons: https://fawkes-cycles.co.uk/ has tyres! Also some components! At normal prices!

My kid got a bike for her birthday a month late in March and I haven’t been able to replace the 26” stock tyres with cheap gravel tyres till now.

The current tyres are so bad they are supposed to be wired but I can just rip them off the wheel with my bare hands and once again fix the drat puncture A Gain.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The ease of getting the tire off is offset by the process of slowly inflating it while frequently checking that its still centered so the loose rear end bead doesn't blow right off the rim.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Heliosicle posted:

Snagged one of the last Café jerseys. I've loved my kit since I got it back then, sorry for the returns hell I put you through (via Yodel :commissar:) by ordering a size too small in the bibs.

No worries my friend!

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Are rear CDN sprockets really that much of a liability over CDX sprockets?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
got my sunday club kit and it looks great! but i think its just a bit too small...any chance someone in the US wants a large Hex kit? i think i'll try ordering again but a size up

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Turned 32 / am 7 months sober today so took the day off work and decided to go beat my previous solo distance PR.

Today also marks my 1 year anniversary as a bike dork too. My homie forced me to leave my hyperbolic quarantine chamber to go for a ride with him instead of sitting at home alone on my birthday when like everything was closed last May and welp, here I am :dance:

The majority of this route honestly kind of sucked lmao.

The first leg heading out west was fine, if a bit dull, then you eventually turn south onto Hwy 23.

23 is a good chunk of chuggy uphill, and holy poo poo some parts are steep.

Eventually it links up with the east and west portions of Mullholland Dr, which are famously even steeper / curvier / higher altitude than 23 by a good bit, but not on the docket for today.

Looking out towards the coast from the 23 / Mullholland junction.

The drop in to the coast line is a pretty good 4 miles of bomby downhill. Hit about ~40MPH and was very focused on making sure I didn't splat while getting buffeted by gnarly coastal winds. Yeehaw.

Eventually I wound up at Point Dume. Peep the new CA 2 sticker :cool:

I'm generally not terribly bothered by cars or traffic with very little shoulder, but holy gently caress the rich douchebags in Malibu drive like absolute dipshits.

Props in particular to the guy that honked and screamed at me for daring to occupy a precious car space (with literally zero inconvenience to him) for about 3 seconds total because I unfortunately lack the ability to phase directly through vehicles parked in the bike lane. People are wild.

PCH do be pretty tho.

so
smoothly d o th

he cr est . a wi nd
go d !

Objurium fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 13, 2021

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Great ride and a huge congratulations on getting sober!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I know a few guys with chips well in the double digits and they all say that like a lot of things sobriety gets even better the further you go. Keep going and also keep riding!

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
Hey bike thread. Only part of this is a bike question, but since this is really the only SA thread I interact with, I'll ask this question here.

Is there an expat thread anywhere on the forums? The wife and I have been planning a move to NZ for a few years, and somehow she actually got a job offer. The pay is poo poo, but I would be able to work remote at my US based job. I am just looking for reasonable advice and Goons tend to be pretty good about this.

If it does happen, I am looking forward to riding there again. Last time we were there I got in a lot of riding in the Wellington and Nelson areas. This move would take us to Auckland, so any riding suggestions in that area would be appreciated. Although I thought Kiwi drivers were pretty intense, there were a lot of wide open unused back roads down south, but the Auckland area looks a little more built up. I am not looking forward to packing up all of the bikes and bike crap. I

Thanks all.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Apropos of the safety chat above: the design manual for streets in the US is getting an update for the first time in more than 10 years, and the public comment period ends tomorrow. If (lol) you've felt unsafe as a road user, whether that's as a pedestrian, cyclist, skater, scooter user, or even as a driver, this is a chance to let people know what's bad and what would be better. There's a pretty useful comment submission tool at https://t4america.org/2021/03/23/month-of-action-week-4-a-manual-for-safer-streets/
It's got a model comment that you can edit as appropriate, and you can check the comments at the bottom of the page to get a feel for what others have said.
You can find some more info on drawbacks to the current and proposed manual at https://nacto.org/program/modernizing-federal-standards/

Albinator fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 13, 2021

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I'm looking at a much longer recovery than first thought and I'm probably going to miss most of June at least and its bumming me out.

In conclusion, don't hit trees.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

I'm looking at a much longer recovery than first thought and I'm probably going to miss most of June at least and its bumming me out.

In conclusion, don't hit trees.

Ahhh mate this is nightmare stuff. I hope you recover well.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
The Allcity zigzag looks extremely neat. Is there anything similar for a grand cheaper?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Giant's website for Neostracker uploading works again so I was able to look up my rides from last year, this was my big one

(it only works in metric now lol)

Hope to get back to that point again by July.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Head Bee Guy posted:

The Allcity zigzag looks extremely neat. Is there anything similar for a grand cheaper?

A steel frame bike with 105 groupset for $1500 or less? I went through the bike buying process late last year and I'm not sure that's really feasible unless you find something used that works for you.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Hi thread, I have questions about bike racks.

I've always been a little leery of using them and preferred to awkwardly cram my bike in my car, because a rack exposes my bike to the elements and stuff like rocks being kicked up by other cars. But I regularly see people with bikes that cost five times as much as mine strapped to their hitch racks or even those strappy trunk racks. Are these things really that safe/reliable? Do these bikes never get dropped, damaged, or dinged?

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 14, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If you get the right brand and locks they are reliable, it’s all about the insurance though. Some car insurance policies are invalidated by installing a bike rack and your bike insurance may not cover it either.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I found this abomination: https://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Pizza-Frame-Bag/dp/B07JP55SXL/

It looks cheap and it will probably break in a month.... and yet i still want to get it...

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

ElMaligno posted:

I found this abomination: https://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Pizza-Frame-Bag/dp/B07JP55SXL/

It looks cheap and it will probably break in a month.... and yet i still want to get it...

*clicks buy it now*

Apr 7, 2003

Holding out for a bag shaped like an empanada, to carry empanadas in.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

learnincurve posted:

If you get the right brand and locks they are reliable, it’s all about the insurance though. Some car insurance policies are invalidated by installing a bike rack and your bike insurance may not cover it either.

Thanks, this is great to know and I never would have thought to check it. Also... bike... insurance? Is that for wrecks, or is chip damage real?

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 14, 2021

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Got my Sunday Club kit in. Think that puts me at 4 full kits. Love u baby.

Please help I have so many bike clothes.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Unsinkabear posted:

Thanks, this is great to know and I never would have thought to check it. Also... bike... insurance? Is that for works, or is chip damage real?

He's referring to your auto policy.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Got my Sunday Club kits too. Haven't had a chance to try them on yet but they look awesome. Get em while you still can folks!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
In the U.K. you can get insurance for your bike as well - I got the cheap no frills for theft and damage, both while locked up and on the road but bike racks aren’t covered iirc there was an option to add that on.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Yeah, there appears to be separate bicycle insurance here too, and my auto provider actually offers it. I'll see if it's worth it to add for my current bike that would be impossible to claim under my auto or renter deductibles.

learnincurve posted:

If you get the right brand and locks they are reliable

Which brands and locks are the right ones?

Also, is there any vehicular scenario where I could lay two bikes inside, or is that asking for trouble? I've stacked two sturdy hybrids on top of each other in the back of a Forester before, but it still made me uncomfortable. Seemed like it would be too easy for components to get tangled up on each other and bent going in and out.

I'm about to hunt for a "new" used car and I'm trying to figure out what the best way to occasionally move two bikes around is. Big CUV? Small hatchback with a trunk rack? Say gently caress it and just slap a hitch + hitch rack on my current accord coupe? Idk.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 14, 2021

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Please help I have so many bike clothes.
I'm 90% sure I've spent more on my bike wardrobe than the rest of my wardrobe.

Apr 7, 2003

Unsinkabear posted:

Yeah, there appears to be separate bicycle insurance here too, and my auto provider actually offers it. I'll see if it's worth it to add for my current bike that would be impossible to claim under my auto or renter deductibles.

Which brands and locks are the right ones?

Also, is there any vehicle or scenario where I could lay two bikes inside, or is that asking for trouble? I've stacked two sturdy hybrids on top of each other in the back of a Forester before, but it still made me uncomfortable. Seemed like it would be too easy for components to get tangled up on each other and bent going in and out.

I'm about to hunt for a "new" used car and I'm trying to figure out what the best way to occasionally move two bikes around is. Big CUV? Small hatchback with a trunk rack? Say gently caress it and just slap a hitch + hitch rack on my current accord coupe? Idk.

I have an Outback and I just put a hitch on it. Using an old-rear end Thule THU990XT Doubletrack that locks and works fine.

Any rear end crash bad enough to trash the bike rack would have trashed the bikes in the storage area anyway.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Unsinkabear posted:

Get a minivan - you can fold down the third row and fit two bicycles back there standing up (depending on the size of a bike itself).

The rack brands people will recommend as the "best" are likely going to be Kuat and 1Up which are both hitch based racks. I have a Kuat rack which is what we use to transport our bikes around.

If you have an Accord coupe - you can get a trunk rack that will carry two bikes easily and also be easy to take on and off so you only use it when you're needing to transport bikes.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
For locks on guard are spectacular, I got a solid secure diamond rated U lock from them for £24 - Massively heavy but it’s for an ebike and it fills the insurance requirements.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

spf3million posted:

I'm 90% sure I've spent more on my bike wardrobe than the rest of my wardrobe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Thank you all for getting the kits, you're all great and considering I'm a UK company I have more customers in the states than anywhere else. Boutique foreign brand indeed.

Also re Insurance. I have my bikes covered for theft on my house insurance but I don't have anything for accident cover. Given the amount of times I've crashed I would have spent far more on the insurance premiums over the years than I would have had taken out.