Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Comedy answer:

Shortsighted infrastructure informed by a lowest-bidder buying process that unintentionally-but-kind-of-intentionally “others” the students and staff that often end up populating them.

Real answer:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Portables, though for some reason 'temporaries' also sounds right.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I've heard trailers more recently but yeah growing up they were always portables. It always seemed to be the English/literature classes that got put in them.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I have no idea what you people are talking about. Never seen any portable school buildings

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gaius Marius posted:

I have no idea what you people are talking about. Never seen any portable school buildings

These bitches.

We had them at my elementary school because the population was growing too fast, but it was considered cool to have class in one of them because we were dumb little kids. Many a yugioh duel was had on the ramp thing in front of the door.

e: also having an elementary school flashback just now, another thing that happened commonly on the ramp was swapping bionicle masks, and we'd all carry them around in the little cloth bags that the Harry Potter-brand jelly beans came in. I know Bioncle and Potter were both smash hits but I've gotta wonder if that was a common thing or it was just us.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 09:16 on May 12, 2021

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
At my school they were known as either the art sheds or the sixth form sheds

They didn’t really stand out to us much, not when we had a building literally shaped like a triangle

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Why don't they just build more schools?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Watching sports on tv is dull as hell and the Olympics loving suck.

All hot drinks seem like a lot more effort than they need to be.

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 12:15 on May 12, 2021

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

This.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
They were called demountables here.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

Now that's just crazy talk. Next you'd recommend funding mental healthcare and restricting access to firearms.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
The extra classrooms were literally called the slums down here. They only held resource and detention classes in them and you got made fun of for smelling like a trailer. It really sucked.

Being a 504 student sucked, man.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Josef bugman posted:

Watching sports on tv is dull as hell and the Olympics loving suck.

All hot drinks seem like a lot more effort than they need to be.

Hmm, watching sports live is way worse than watching on tv but at the end of the day you are still watching sports and that just doesn't interest some people.

The Olympics is cool and ill tune in to watch some of the more unusual sports but its mostly for the novelty. gently caress watching the 2000 metres or some poo poo.

I think i agree with the hot drinks point. Its why its customary to offer someone a tea if you are making it yourself. I've been getting really into iced coffee recently.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Gaius Marius posted:

They do. But a new permanent school takes longer to put up than a portable building. Then ours got turned in to the art classrooms and music rooms because nobody loves them.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Hmm, watching sports live is way worse than watching on tv but at the end of the day you are still watching sports and that just doesn't interest some people.

The Olympics is cool and ill tune in to watch some of the more unusual sports but its mostly for the novelty. gently caress watching the 2000 metres or some poo poo.

I think i agree with the hot drinks point. Its why its customary to offer someone a tea if you are making it yourself. I've been getting really into iced coffee recently.

I think being together with a large number of people and having a big old shout is often good fun and I don't want to take that away from people. But I don't understand how watching a sporting event on TV is fun when you are on your own.

The Olympics is now pretty much run as a vast and complex money laundering scam and I don't think I could support it. The various different sports are fun but it's just such a lovely lovely organisation in charge of it. It's like FIFA.

I can't drink coffee but it just always seems like it takes a very long time for something that's not as nice as water.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

I think being together with a large number of people and having a big old shout is often good fun and I don't want to take that away from people. But I don't understand how watching a sporting event on TV is fun when you are on your own.

Because you really like the sport?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

Because you really like the sport?

But your not being with other people enjoying something. It's just the level of remove from the players and emotions of the game that I don't really "get". That and, to put it bluntly, sports seem more fun to play and to do than to observe.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Josef bugman posted:

But I don't understand how watching a sporting event on TV is fun when you are on your own.

Depends i suppose, might be a team someone actively supports, might just be enjoying the display of athleticism and skill.

What i was really meaning was things like not getting instant replays, not having as clear a view as a camera, not being charged a fiver for a pie and bovril.

What i do admire are the people who know all the stats and history for baseball or formula 1 etc. I can understand someone having a deep knowledge of sports more than most thing

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Depends i suppose, might be a team someone actively supports, might just be enjoying the display of athleticism and skill.

What i was really meaning was things like not getting instant replays, not having as clear a view as a camera, not being charged a fiver for a pie and bovril.

What i do admire are the people who know all the stats and history for baseball or formula 1 etc. I can understand someone having a deep knowledge of sports more than most thing

On your own though? Like, again, I understand it's a community bonding thing but I struggle to understand or appreciate "athleticism for it's own sake" in the same way that "art without purpose" doesn't exist. Everything is either to grow something inside of you or to impress other people.

Knowledge on it's own is no virtue. It has to have an end to it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

*puffs bubble pipe*

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

hawowanlawow posted:

*puffs bubble pipe*

I mean, sure?

Going to a sporting match in person or watching it with friends seems fine, I just can't understand doing it on your own.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
How do you feel about going to restaurants on your own?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Or listening to music on your own? Or watching a movie or tv?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Eating or listening to music isn't the same as watching sport, but I'm fine with it? The way I see sports talked about though it never seems a "relaxing" experience, whereas going to a restaurant can be.

Also music is, I would argue, far more personal because there is a degree of personal meaning attached to songs. Whereas it's always obvious that you are not on your own when watching sports. Sports are inherently communal, whereas with music there is a level of abstraction from the people who created it and the meaning they give it and your own.

You cannot have a singular experience with sport unless you are actually doing it, I would argue.

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 17:59 on May 12, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
To be honest I don't think this difference is something that exists beyond your own subjective experience. While it may certainly be valid for you I don't think holds universally.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

christmas boots posted:

To be honest I don't think this difference is something that exists beyond your own subjective experience. While it may certainly be valid for you I don't think holds universally.

That's fair enough. But at the same time that gets us dangerously close to philosophy. That or sophistry.

Secondary unpopular opinion: It's sad that we can't see how other people think and reason and work out how to make ourselves think things differently to now.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Hard top jeeps can gently caress off.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Josef bugman posted:

Eating or listening to music isn't the same as watching sport, but I'm fine with it? The way I see sports talked about though it never seems a "relaxing" experience, whereas going to a restaurant can be.

Also music is, I would argue, far more personal because there is a degree of personal meaning attached to songs. Whereas it's always obvious that you are not on your own when watching sports. Sports are inherently communal, whereas with music there is a level of abstraction from the people who created it and the meaning they give it and your own.

You cannot have a singular experience with sport unless you are actually doing it, I would argue.

I love baseball and the high numbers of games means that I'm watching it alone a lot. I love watching pitchers pitch and games that end 1-0 with a pitchers duel are completely my poo poo and have zero problem watching them alone. I also fully understand that this would be mind-numbingly boring for other people but I love it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Josef bugman posted:

Eating or listening to music isn't the same as watching sport,

Why not?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Joey Freshwater posted:

I love baseball and the high numbers of games means that I'm watching it alone a lot. I love watching pitchers pitch and games that end 1-0 with a pitchers duel are completely my poo poo and have zero problem watching them alone. I also fully understand that this would be mind-numbingly boring for other people but I love it.

I love watching the Chicago Cubs and I barely understand the rules of baseball. Also I've been to Illinois twice in my life

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I love watching the Chicago Cubs and I barely understand the rules of baseball. Also I've been to Illinois twice in my life

poo poo oops

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Joey Freshwater posted:

I mean fair, but do you also play it or watch it IRL? Which would you say is more fun? To me they are all not particularly fun, but I can fully understand playing/watching with folks in a way I have difficulty with when someone is on their own. But thank you, and I am glad you enjoy it!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

See, to me this sounds like something only marginally less tortuous than watching a comedian die on stage. Can I ask why you enjoy it?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

See, to me this sounds like something only marginally less tortuous than watching a comedian die on stage. Can I ask why you enjoy it?

I feel exactly the way you do, but it's the same way some people find [your hobby that you enjoy] stupid and boring and you don't understand how they don't like it.

To me, watching sports is about the most boring thing in the world (including e-sports and streaming). I don't want to watch someone else play a game, I want to play the game myself whether it's baseball or Starcraft. But some people like watching people that are good at a thing do that thing I guess.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Captain Monkey posted:

I feel exactly the way you do, but it's the same way some people find [your hobby that you enjoy] stupid and boring and you don't understand how they don't like it.

To me, watching sports is about the most boring thing in the world (including e-sports and streaming). I don't want to watch someone else play a game, I want to play the game myself whether it's baseball or Starcraft. But some people like watching people that are good at a thing do that thing I guess.

I mean, when people don't like a thing you like you attempt to explain why you do and, if it's not that important to you/ isn't hurting anyone you go "okay" and move on. But with watching sports and not even knowing the rules? To me that seems so outside of the realm of how I'd think about things that I want to find out more.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Captain Monkey posted:

I love watching people do things which its possible to be good at because I'm not good at any of them and never will be

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Josef bugman posted:

I mean fair, but do you also play it or watch it IRL? Which would you say is more fun? To me they are all not particularly fun, but I can fully understand playing/watching with folks in a way I have difficulty with when someone is on their own. But thank you, and I am glad you enjoy it!

I played up through college, which does contribute a fair bit, but I don't currently play, no. I'll go to live games of course but it's a completely different experience, and I rarely go alone. Going to a game live is definitely a social event, me sitting at home alone watching it something for just me. They're both fun for different reasons.

A live game is a whole experience, the ballpark, the sounds of the game, drinking some beers/getting food, chatting with friends. Honestly watching a game live I miss a huge part of the game and I would even go so far as to say that going to the game I definitely have the expectation that I'm going to miss a lot of it due to wandering around the stadium, talking to whoever I went with and that kind of stuff. Sitting at home watching I can focus completely on the game and not miss anything.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Joey Freshwater posted:

Sitting at home watching I can focus completely on the game and not miss anything.

Can I ask what you take away from watching it? Is there a narrative, to it or is it just random matches to look at technique. It's just... I don't get what people get from it. Most other sorts of media I can understand watching. Because they tell a stroy or evoke an emotional response. But I know people who just watch the sport because "well I want to watch it" and thats incredible to me.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

Can I ask what you take away from watching it? Is there a narrative, to it or is it just random matches to look at technique. It's just... I don't get what people get from it. Most other sorts of media I can understand watching. Because they tell a stroy or evoke an emotional response. But I know people who just watch the sport because "well I want to watch it" and thats incredible to me.

I can’t speak for his baseball viewing but narrative is a huge part of following and caring about sports. Sports leagues are engineered to produce drama. A team’s journey from scrappy underdog to dynastic title winner is a common example. And watching a lot of games means you get to know the players, their style, their personality, etc. to varying degrees depending on the sport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I loving can't.

I haven't been out to eat since like 2018. Maybe a sushi bar because those are set up to be for dining alone.