Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Still a ways to go but I'm stoked on how this Freeguild Griffon (soon to have General too) is turning out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

drat, Deathclaw got a demotion to obscurity ;_;

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

SiKboy posted:

One day I'm going to buy a penny the size of a dinner plate and include it in all my photos for scale so I look like a painting god.

Make that day today, friend.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

InternetJunky posted:

If you don't use cat whiskers you're doing it wrong. (seriously, they are the best)
tried this; found they were more useful for adding scars than anything else

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
you're supposed to leave them on the cat

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

dishwasherlove posted:

drat, Deathclaw got a demotion to obscurity ;_;

Its pretty funny that the empire no longer exists but the Griffon armor still says "Karl Franz" on it

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Painted some cyberpunk cops! Looking forward to the release of the board games minis. They just added a camera guy y'know. I bought a jar of asphalt and applied to the base, then added some road marker stuff and it made the figures look way way better. Might go back through and clean up the edges a bit with black. I was also considering dry brushing the gritty asphalt with a dark grey to make the texture of the asphalt pop more. Not sure if that would work.

Also painted the first of my Cats and Catacombs.

Still working on how to take the pictures good but improving!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Calling Deathclaw done, now to just paint Karl Franz who is in surprising boring armor.

Edit-- just realized I got excited and didn't wait for the basing glue to dry. Ignore that.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

After some minor delays this month, I've finally completed my five-man squad of Deathwatch Outriders.

Squad Leader Mordecai Medeon of the Dark Angels Raven Wing

Elesandro Arteros of the Lamenters

Semsochi Yesuberei of the White Scars

Atredian of the Black Dragons

Vovuka of the Carcharodons Astra

-Combat Squad Medeon-

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I painted some Necrons. It's my first time so be gentle :) But C&C appreciated nonetheless.

They glow in the dark, which is pretty cool to be honest.

Now my son can proceed and destroy all of them over the week-end.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

that’s some drat fine osl in my opinion, how does it come across in the dark?

saber45
Nov 10, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

After some minor delays this month, I've finally completed my five-man squad of Deathwatch Outriders.

-Combat Squad Medeon-

These are insanely good and I love them.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

So has anyone had any experience with using AK Interactive paints?

Because I have this Valkyrie that I want to paint as a UH-60 but it turns out the only corresponding colour (US Army Helo Drab) is available through either AK interactive or Modelmaster (which might even be discontinued from what I can tell). And the description for those mention they're acrylic lacquers that requires a proper thinner to work well.

Although the more I look into things the more likely is that I'll just grab a vallejo rattle can of OD and corresponding bottle paint because using the AK one comes off a hassle, and I don't have an airbrush either way.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Furism posted:

I painted some Necrons. It's my first time so be gentle :) But C&C appreciated nonetheless.

They glow in the dark, which is pretty cool to be honest.

Now my son can proceed and destroy all of them over the week-end.

how did you do the base?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

jesus WEP posted:

that’s some drat fine osl in my opinion, how does it come across in the dark?

Thanks!

OSL could be better honestly, I struggled a bit too much with the green ink I used on top of the white ink. I couldn't get the consistency right. That'll reach me to use anything else but Liquitex!

It's a bit too muted in the dark, I should have spent more time applying more layers, but I couldn't be bothered (this is for my 6 years old and I'm a bad dad).

GreenBuckanneer posted:

how did you do the base?

I used Vallejo earth texture, and dropped some GSW crackling earth on top of that (I learned that trick from watching Vince's Youtube channel!), and sprinkled a bit of tiny rocks I bought at the dollar store here and there. Then based with Vallejo's Burnt Brown and some GW's colors (Doombull Brown and Squid Orange I think) !

I was going for Mars-looking bases but I think they're not orange enough for that :/

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

saber45 posted:

These are insanely good and I love them.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
I got Marvel United so I'm working on knocking out the minis. Despite being chibi style these are some really nice board game minis. Crisp details a lot of dynamic poses and pretty detailed bases. Only done with Red Skull so far but they're pretty fun to work on.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

The cell shaded style colouring on the jacket is perfect

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Furism posted:

I was going for Mars-looking bases but I think they're not orange enough for that :/

I think you nailed it actually, I could tell instantly. In reality it's far less red than people think (see photo below). Yours is more red than that but that's fine because people's image of Mars is more red than reality.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Furism posted:

I used Vallejo earth texture, and dropped some GSW crackling earth on top of that (I learned that trick from watching Vince's Youtube channel!), and sprinkled a bit of tiny rocks I bought at the dollar store here and there. Then based with Vallejo's Burnt Brown and some GW's colors (Doombull Brown and Squid Orange I think) !

Is sometimes hard to tell from photos, but are the base rims black? They look dark grey to me. Painting them black will help the earth stand out I think.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

a7m2 posted:

I think you nailed it actually, I could tell instantly. In reality it's far less red than people think (see photo below). Yours is more red than that but that's fine because people's image of Mars is more red than reality.

Very good point, I thought about this actually. I looked at reference photos and Mars doesn't look at all like I thought. That's why I tried to push the orange more, even though it's not actually realistic. I blame Total Recall. But I'm glad the effect seemed to have worked on you!

Eediot Jedi posted:

Is sometimes hard to tell from photos, but are the base rims black? They look dark grey to me. Painting them black will help the earth stand out I think.

They are German Grey (Corvus Black equivalent), so very dark grey indeed. I think you might be right and I'll give actual black a shot.

Thanks!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i think your rims are a fine colour but i prefer black-grey to black anyway. i think going all the way to black on your rims can wash out the shadows of the model

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

jesus WEP posted:

i think your rims are a fine colour but i prefer black-grey to black anyway. i think going all the way to black on your rims can wash out the shadows of the model

I heard somewhere that it's better to have the darkest point of the mini be actually on the mini, not the base, so I also use very dark greys (VMC Black Grey) on my rims.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I like the rim to be ignorable, so I make mine matte black.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
I picked up another death guard guy because at 10bucks the Space Marine Heroes are cheaper unique sculpts compared to anything else GW sells. The second guys is a darker green then the first because I underestimated the amount of yellow I had mixed in originally. I really like the face even though the photo over emphasizes the poor transition compared to in hand.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I painted a new version of the first mini I ever painted.

Here's the original:

And the one I just finished:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
another frostgrave soldier

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

That shield is really impressive.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Here's the original:

And the one I just finished:

I like that, nice touch with the spots. That reminds me I should sell my legion stuff, its collecting dust.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Fingat posted:

I like that, nice touch with the spots. That reminds me I should sell my legion stuff, its collecting dust.

Thank you!

Quick question while I'm here -- if I apply varnish with a brush, do I need to segregate that brush like you would with e.g. metallic paints, or do anything else special like not dipping other brushes in the same water? Or is it just like any other acrylic paint, except clear?

(Specifically Vallejo's acrylic resin matt varnish, if that makes a difference.)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Thank you!

Quick question while I'm here -- if I apply varnish with a brush, do I need to segregate that brush like you would with e.g. metallic paints, or do anything else special like not dipping other brushes in the same water? Or is it just like any other acrylic paint, except clear?

(Specifically Vallejo's acrylic resin matt varnish, if that makes a difference.)

Use a rough brush. Change your water.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Use the cheapest brush you can find and a fresh thing of water. Also thoroughly rinse out your water when done. Sometimes even if you clean the poo poo out of your brush you'll still gently caress it up. So don't use a good brush. Also don't let the varnish go on thick, use as thin layers as you can.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I love seeing stuff like this, I need to paint a new Eldar guardian so I can have something similar. Beyond the massive improvement in skill between your two models the biggest thing that stands out to me is just how much better models look when they are not all glossy.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
If you ever seriously gently caress up and let paint or stain dry in the ferrule of a brush Master's Brush cleaner is awesome. You can also repointing bristles by getting a clean lather and wrapping the tip in saran wrap overnight. The cleaner isn't that expensive (less than 10$ for a pot that will last you years) and trying to clean a brush is worth it if you were planning on demoting it to a dry brush anyways.

The Easy Rider
Sep 21, 2006

Corn Dogs- Deep Fried Proof Of A Loving God

AndyElusive posted:

-Combat Squad Medeon-

Excellent work! Would you mind sharing what colors you used for the bolters?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Thanks guys. :tipshat:

And yeah sure re: bolters it's a simple base of Khorne Red with a wash of Carroburg Crimson and highlights of Wazdakka Red and then Wild Rider Red.

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
Was taking some pics of the BFG stuff I have recently been painting, took some photos of other models I never really took proper ones of.

Did you know Asurmen turned 27 in April? Also the Eldar Corsair ships are technically pretty new (for Eldar).

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
What's this thread's opinion on Contrast paints? I tried out a few colors on my Dreeper's Creepers warband and they turned out pretty good.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

That they're pretty good but not the end all thing that GW advertised them as and just another tool in your painting arsenal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

What's this thread's opinion on Contrast paints? I tried out a few colors on my Dreeper's Creepers warband and they turned out pretty good.

They’re especially good for painting bone, skin, flesh, leather, fur and hair, but not great for bigger flat surfaces, such as space marine armor, where they can turn out kinda blotchy. There are ways to avoid the blotchiness but it’s a little more involved.

People have different favorites, but for me; skeleton horde, snakebite leather, dark angels red, talassar blue, black templar and basilicanum grey are amazing (roughly in order of amazingness) and I’d recommend anyone to get them. People also recommend apothecary white but it doesn’t work for me, no matter how much I shake it. It just turns the model a dull grey.