Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's whether you have Prime or not. If you have Prime, you get 5% (and sometimes more on various promos) which makes it a no-brainer. If you don't it's 1% and you can do way better.

They're right, though. There are two variants, one from Chase another from Synchrony.

Chase being a Visa usable anywhere, Synchrony being an Amazon only store card.

Synchrony gives you 3% without Prime 5% with.

I'll likely be canceling Prime this year since I rarely order anything less than $25.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Unsinkabear posted:

You could take advantage of that, wring out every possible dollar from its many bonuses/perks in the first year, and then product convert it down to a Blue Cash Preferred/Everyday in year 2 to dodge the second annual fee and end up with a long-term grocery card. I bring this up because you asked about caveats/warnings and I have seen it mentioned in a couple places that you should do the Platinum first if you plan to ever get it from them, although I'm honestly not clear on why... most lenders prefer that you already have a relationship with them before they hand out the big cards.

Can you even product change a MR card to a non-MR card? Even if you can, you would have to redeem all your MR points before you do this, since the BCP/BCE are not MR cards.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

saintonan posted:

Can you even product change a MR card to a non-MR card? Even if you can, you would have to redeem all your MR points before you do this, since the BCP/BCE are not MR cards.

Good point about BCP/BCE not being in the right family to retain points, thanks for catching that. I'm not sure if you can do that product change either, honestly. My quick pre-coffee Google found a write-up about the card that implied you can, but it was a quick and dirty blurb on some third rate site and I have to admit it does seem too good to be true.

Does anyone know for sure what you can convert a Plat to? Because depending on the answer, I may actually be applying for mine today.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 6, 2021

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Unsinkabear posted:

Does anyone know for sure what you can convert a Plat to? Because depending on the answer, I may actually be applying for mine today.

I think any MR card is good, so Gold/Green/Everyday. Unlikely that you could PC to any business card.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

saintonan posted:

I think any MR card is good, so Gold/Green/Everyday. Unlikely that you could PC to any business card.

Everyday it is. Can you stack the Schwab and regular Platinums? Would be nice to pick up both of those followed by as many of the smaller signup bonuses as possible for a dragon's hoard of MRs, then cash out everything at 1.25 cents per point.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 6, 2021

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Unsinkabear posted:

Everyday it is. Can you stack the Schwab and regular Platinums? Would be nice to pick up both, then gather as many of the smaller MR bonuses as possible and cash out at 1.25 cents per point.

I’ve genuinely seen people with five platinums. Guy was military so it made sense for him. He had two vanilla platinums because one was a cobranded plat that got discontinued.

The folks on /r/Amex can help with making the most of point redemptions and what cards to get in what order, since they share so many data points with each other.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Wild. I don't have time to effort-post there atm, but I don't any Amex cards yet and according to a couple posts there that makes me the person who the 125k personal plat is generally targeted to. I guess I'll bide my time and keep checking pre-approvals for a while longer to see if I get it.

I have two 5/24 slots remaining and a few months more than I thought before I can re-do my Sapphire bonus, so I'd like to pick up another heavy lifter in the meantime if I can. Right now it looks like the Plat is the only other cash-value option on the menu that isn't somewhere inquiry-sensitive. :argh:

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 6, 2021

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
The good thing about getting with Amex is that once you're with them they generally only do soft pulls for additional cards. For example, I got the BCE and then a month later the Gold with only one hard pull.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

drat Amazon effectively marketed me to apply for their card.

We get our groceries Whole Foods delivered and buy a good amount of poo poo there. They have a banner that shows your reward dollars over the last year if you have their card (mine was $750 :chanpop:).

Was enough to get my to apply, especially cause I got the $100 gift card offer to pop as well.

captain chauncey
May 6, 2009

You eat pieces of shit for breakfast?

Unsinkabear posted:

Everyday it is. Can you stack the Schwab and regular Platinums? Would be nice to pick up both of those followed by as many of the smaller signup bonuses as possible for a dragon's hoard of MRs, then cash out everything at 1.25 cents per point.

I’ll be interested to know if the Everyday ends up working as a viable downgrade path for you. I thought you had to stay on the charge card side of the house, and even though the Everyday does MR, that would mean Green. But they are blurring the lines themselves more every day, so that would be welcome news that they have a zero annual fee downgrade path.

captain chauncey fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 7, 2021

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

I think the alternate strategy could be opening an Everyday and closing the plat. MR is all kept in the same pool so you won’t lose it.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Thanks for all the information on the various options, that's super helpful. Going to spend some time this weekend crunching the numbers on our monthly spending to see how it shakes out over a year but my gut says that a 2%+ on everything card is probably more in line with what we need.

Unsinkabear posted:

There are a lot of places like Fidelity and Alliant that are offering alternative 2% cards that are just fine if you already work with them, but this one from SDFCU is my favorite right now. No foreign transaction fees, no annual fees, actual cash back and not points that can be devalued or made difficult to redeem, and no bullshit about how/when you can get it (Alliant has a $50 redemption minimum, Fidelity will only let you put the cash back into a money market account with them, Paypal requires the same but Paypal so it's worse, etc). You can even choose whether you want chip-and-pin or chip-and-signature for card security, which most people don't travel enough to care about but I still think is neat.

Or, if you don't need that and don't mind a slower approval process where you'll have to jump through some weird hoops like joining an affiliate group to qualify for membership (there's a bike club you can pay $5 for one month of membership with, just to have a document that says you're a member during signup) and sending them a selfie along with your documents, you can get a buck wild, unlimited, 3% cash back on all spending from AOD FCU. I think that's the best single-card solution that exists.

We're not in a rush in any way, this is more about convenience in coordinating all our various joint bill pays and monthly spending than any dire need while also maximizing whatever rewards we can get. Definitely going to look into the SDFCU card and maybe see about the AOD thing. You have a link to this mythical bike club? A little hoop jumping isn't that big of a deal if it means we can get the correct tool for the job right out of the gate and avoid having to go through a similar process again for at least a few years.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Mat Cauthon posted:

Thanks for all the information on the various options, that's super helpful. Going to spend some time this weekend crunching the numbers on our monthly spending to see how it shakes out over a year but my gut says that a 2%+ on everything card is probably more in line with what we need.

We're not in a rush in any way, this is more about convenience in coordinating all our various joint bill pays and monthly spending than any dire need while also maximizing whatever rewards we can get. Definitely going to look into the SDFCU card and maybe see about the AOD thing. You have a link to this mythical bike club? A little hoop jumping isn't that big of a deal if it means we can get the correct tool for the job right out of the gate and avoid having to go through a similar process again for at least a few years.

If you search AODFCU's list of "select employer groups" who can join despite not being in their area, you'll see a Northeast Alabama Bicycle Association. Go to their website, click the button to join them, and it will send you to a third website where you can join the International Mountain Biking Association as a member of the Northeast Alabama Bicycle Association chapter (if you click through from their website that I linked above it will prefill this part for you). If you switch it to a monthly membership, the lowest rate you can join at is $5. Get that proof of membership and maintain it at least through the application process, and then whether you continue it from there is up to you.

No, I don't know how people ferreted that out from among the actual hundreds of affiliate groups listed with AODFCU. I haven't applied yet because my 2% card from PenFed is almost as good and I can't rationalize the 5/24 slot, so I'm eager to hear how it goes for you! I imagine that being ta'veren will make the approval process pretty straightforward.

captain chauncey posted:

I’ll be interested to know if the Everyday ends up working as a viable downgrade path for you. I thought you had to stay on the charge card side of the house, and even though the Everyday does MR, that would mean Green. But they are blurring the lines themselves more every day, so that would be welcome news that they have a zero annual fee downgrade path.

Nope, this is still the wall I ran into when I was googling it this afternoon. According to everything I found, plat holders are still stuck in the charge card family, and I'm not about that long-term-AF life. I may just continue not loving with AMEX, unfortunately. I don't do manufactured spending and the amount of spend you need to put on those to make it organically worth it is too drat high (for me).

im on the net me boys posted:

I think the alternate strategy could be opening an Everyday and closing the plat. MR is all kept in the same pool so you won’t lose it.

This might work, I guess?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Chase bonus churning question: as I've mentioned I’m waiting to churn the Sapphire Preferred bonus, and my 48 months since the last time I got it won’t be up until July. Unfortunately, Chase just announced that the current offer will end in late May. :ohdear:

Does anyone know if I can apply for the card now and just wait to trigger the signup bonus until after the window has passed, or do I need to already be outside 48 months at the time of application in order to qualify for the SUB/card?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Unsinkabear posted:

or do I need to already be outside 48 months at the time of application in order to qualify for the SUB/card?

It's this one.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

With Chase CC points, why do the "pay yourself back" points show as much more valuable than the number of points?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The Slack Lagoon posted:

With Chase CC points, why do the "pay yourself back" points show as much more valuable than the number of points?

They're worth more than a cent per point on certain categories if you have a CSP (1.25 cents) or CSR (1.5 cents). If you're not transferring them to a travel partner for more than that, it's not a bad redemption option at all.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

astral posted:

It's this one.

Well that sure fucks up my plan for the year. Thanks.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Unsinkabear posted:

Chase bonus churning question: as I've mentioned I’m waiting to churn the Sapphire Preferred bonus, and my 48 months since the last time I got it won’t be up until July. Unfortunately, Chase just announced that the current offer will end in late May. :ohdear:

Does anyone know if I can apply for the card now and just wait to trigger the signup bonus until after the window has passed, or do I need to already be outside 48 months at the time of application in order to qualify for the SUB/card?

Oh, I need to get on this before it's gone. I passed my 48 months last year but was lazy since I'd have to close out/product change my Reserve, get a Preferred and then product change that back to a Reserve eventually if I want to still have a Reserve but get the SOB, right?

Resonance22
Dec 17, 2006

Chaotic Flame posted:

Oh, I need to get on this before it's gone. I passed my 48 months last year but was lazy since I'd have to close out/product change my Reserve, get a Preferred and then product change that back to a Reserve eventually if I want to still have a Reserve but get the SOB, right?

You could reapply for the CSR and get that sign up bonus, but I believe the CSP has a higher sign up bonus right now.

Do note that if you cancel the card, you have to wait 30 days before you can open a new Sapphire.

On the other hand, if you simply product change, then apparently it's a one week wait with the caveat that you apply for the CSP online. I tried applying in-branch for the waived annual fee, but it won't work, and I'll have to wait 30 days.

Edit: Do we know when exactly the CSP offer is over? I was planning on applying for the CSP in branch on May 24th, but if the offer will be gone by then, I'd rather have the 30k extra points than the waived $95 fee.

Resonance22 fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 11, 2021

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

We do not. It looks like it may have been Chase marketing trickery and we'll have more time after all. No defined date, so hurry up and wait. :argh:

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I didn’t see a thread for anything relating to a stolen credit card, but if there is could someone like me to it?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

What's there to link to? If your card has been stolen, call the credit card company.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is it normal for AMEX to charge its membership in the first month of opening the card?

Gotta admit I was expecting it by EOY but I have no specific reason for that.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Yeah, perfectly normal.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Amex tells you that they charge after the first billing cycle for the annual fee

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

It'd make sense to be first billed for it at the end of the first year if they were waiving the first year's fee.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Shear Modulus posted:

It'd make sense to be first billed for it at the end of the first year if they were waiving the first year's fee.

Yeah I guess I'm just used to no-AF on the first year cards. Thanks everyone!

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character
I just finished jumping through all the hoops and got approved for the AODFCU 3% card. With my luck, they'll announce that they're turning it into a 1% in the next six months.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Yeah I guess I'm just used to no-AF on the first year cards. Thanks everyone!

No AF for the first year on the charge cards would be so cool

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

Ancillary Character posted:

I just finished jumping through all the hoops and got approved for the AODFCU 3% card. With my luck, they'll announce that they're turning it into a 1% in the next six months.

https://pcmcu.org/loans/credit-card/

There was a post about how to join the CU but I'm having trouble finding it now.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Girbot posted:

https://pcmcu.org/loans/credit-card/

There was a post about how to join the CU but I'm having trouble finding it now.

If you do find it, please share, because that's one that I haven't been able to figure out. It would be a good fit for my partner but the restrictions on membership with them are so much tighter. :ohdear:

That said though, if you naturally would spend more than $1,666 a month on your flat rate card, the 3% one comes out ahead because it is unlimited while the rewards for PCM cap at $50/month. AODFCU is also a visa so you'll be able to use it at places like Costco that have restrictions, while PCM is a mastercard. $1000/mo to hit the PCM cap is easier to do with organic out of pocket stuff, though, and you can supplement with other 5% category cards on relevant bills. They're both phenomenal, just something to keep in mind when picking (assuming PCM is actually even possible).

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Man, despite not having applied for credit cards for at least the last four years because I've been out of the US (coming back now), I'm being denied left and right. Applied to thirteen cards, looks like only three approvals. And my credit score still looks good, so I'm not sure what the issue is. Even right off the bat, Chase was denying me.

The only ones that went through were two Bank of America cards and an Amex (Delta Gold). Others either got denied or said they'd have to follow up (which I'm guessing is soft deny): Various Barclays, World of Hyatt, CSR, SW RR Plus, CapOne Venture, Citi Premier.

If anyone has any other suggestions for cards with good travel sign-up rewards, I'm all ears. I've been mostly following the flowchart from r/churning, but the fact that Chase denied me despite being under 5/24 (at least at the start anyway) has thrown me off.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 14, 2021

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Cicero posted:

Man, despite not having applied for credit cards for at least the last four years because I've been out of the US (coming back now), I'm being denied left and right. Applied to thirteen cards, looks like only three approvals. And my credit score still looks good, so I'm not sure what the issue is. Even right off the bat, Chase was denying me.

The only ones that went through were two Bank of America cards and an Amex (Delta Gold). Others either got denied or said they'd have to follow up (which I'm guessing is soft deny): Various Barclays, World of Hyatt, CSR, SW RR Plus, CapOne Venture, Citi Premier.

If anyone has any other suggestions for cards with good travel sign-up rewards, I'm all ears. I've been mostly following the flowchart from r/churning, but the fact that Chase denied me despite being under 5/24 (at least at the start anyway) has thrown me off.

When you call for recon, what did the person on the phone say you were denied for? What about the denial letters? What's your actual score? What order did you apply in?

For one, I think Barclays is somewhat inquiry-sensitive. Doesn't look like you've hit up Discover yet. Also checking pre-qual sites beforehand can (potentially) save pulls.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

I’m not sure why you’re having such a hard time. I’ve gotten five cards since November, but I could just be lucky.

As far as a travel card goes, might I recommend the Amex Gold? You already have the delta so you have an existing relationship with them. Hit the application while logged in and it’ll tell you if you’re preapproved or not, which is usually spot on. Then use a referral code in a private window to get a bonus 75k points instead of 60k. Either amount is enough to redeem for a round trip flight to Japan if you transfer to Virgin, and MR can be transferred to Delta too I think. You also get other goodies like a $200 home furnishing credit so the annual fee is very worth it.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I got another Amex approved tonight, the Hilton one.

CubicalSucrose posted:

When you call for recon, what did the person on the phone say you were denied for? What about the denial letters? What's your actual score? What order did you apply in?
I haven't actually thought to call or check for what the denials said. I guess I assumed there wouldn't be useful information there, but that's a good idea.

My CreditWise score is showing as 798. I know it's not the exact same as the official credit scores, but it shouldn't be too far off, right?

Order was (two batches, the second I just did)

quote:

Barclays AA Biz
World of Hyatt
Chase Sapphire Reserve

Barclays AA Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard
Barclays JetBlue Plus Card
BoA Premium Rewards
BoA Alaska Airlines Biz
BoA Alaska Airlines Personal
Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus
Citi AA Platinum Select
American Express Delta Gold
Capital One Venture
Citi Premier
Chase Sapphire Preferred
Hilton Honors Amex Surpass

quote:

For one, I think Barclays is somewhat inquiry-sensitive. Doesn't look like you've hit up Discover yet. Also checking pre-qual sites beforehand can (potentially) save pulls.
Gotcha, thanks!

im on the net me boys posted:

I’m not sure why you’re having such a hard time. I’ve gotten five cards since November, but I could just be lucky.

As far as a travel card goes, might I recommend the Amex Gold? You already have the delta so you have an existing relationship with them. Hit the application while logged in and it’ll tell you if you’re preapproved or not, which is usually spot on. Then use a referral code in a private window to get a bonus 75k points instead of 60k. Either amount is enough to redeem for a round trip flight to Japan if you transfer to Virgin, and MR can be transferred to Delta too I think. You also get other goodies like a $200 home furnishing credit so the annual fee is very worth it.
Hmm, now that I just got two Amexes, isn't that some kind of limit for them? I feel like I read that somewhere.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Cicero posted:

Considering it sounds like you went from no credit activity to a flurry, it's going to trip some fraud sensors. They might just want to verify it's really you applying for the cards.

Suddenly having 13 inquiries will trip some more sensors. Good luck with your phone calls.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah that's fair I guess. I'll wait a bit then before any more.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
That AODFCU 3% card seems like the best around at the moment. I'd like a new flat-rate card for general use, currently I have only a 1.5% Chase Freedom unlimited. Are there any other flat 3% options to consider?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Cicero posted:

Hmm, now that I just got two Amexes, isn't that some kind of limit for them? I feel like I read that somewhere.

Generally you can get approved for a charge card and credit card at the same time with Amex. Just check for prequalification.