Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Surprise. I suspect he’ll never appear in Who again. My boyfriend pointed out that RTD has been conspicuously quiet during all this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

Surprise. I suspect he’ll never appear in Who again. My boyfriend pointed out that RTD has been conspicuously quiet during all this.

Well he might have fostered a workplace that enabled this poo poo. If I were him I'd hide for a while.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

From The Guardian's Noel Clarke article

quote:

Russell T Davies also he never saw Barrowman expose himself, and was unaware of any complaints about Clarke’s behaviour towards female coworkers on set and never heard of or witnessed inappropriate behaviour by the actor. Had he received a complaint, Davies said he would have acted immediately.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I do truly hope that Barrowman legitimately has taken reaction to heart and is actually actively behaving better and that this isn't just a "sorry I got caught" situation.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Yeeeeeeeeah I'm not buying that RTD didn't at least know about Barrowman's proclivity for yanking his todger out without warning.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

The_Doctor posted:

When the Beeb did a Doctor Who night in 1999 (where those Pitch of Fear, Web of Caves, etc sketches come from), they rounded out the night by showing the TV Movie. However, they didn’t announce in any way that it was going to be the uncut version, so that turned out to be a pleasant surprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMI8SxMv2y8

That's annoying, I remember specifically not watching specifically because I had the tape and seen it so many times already.

Once again, the BBC messes with the Doctor Who fan!

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Yeeeeeeeeah I'm not buying that RTD didn't at least know about Barrowman's proclivity for yanking his todger out without warning.

RTD 100% knew what Barrowman was doing

Out of curiosity, i had a look through the writers tale to see if there was anything and there a a few implied references

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Sydney Bottocks posted:

He was very careful not to say that. He doesn't say he didn't hear about it, he says he never saw it happen himself. It's unclear what role he had in Barrowman's eventual reprimand, but we do know that Gardiner is the one who actually reprimanded him. Presumably she and Davies had at least one conversation about Barrowman before that reprimand happened.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
After many, many years,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvAenK95PfQ&t=156s

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a new Lives of Captain Jack from Big Finish either. I suspect Torchwood may continue with the other cast and if it doesn't sell it will be quietly sunsetted like they seem to be doing with franchises where all/most of the principle actors are dead, like Blake's 7 and Dark Shadows.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

The_Doctor posted:

When the Beeb did a Doctor Who night in 1999 (where those Pitch of Fear, Web of Caves, etc sketches come from), they rounded out the night by showing the TV Movie. However, they didn’t announce in any way that it was going to be the uncut version, so that turned out to be a pleasant surprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMI8SxMv2y8

They didn’t announce it, but I know it was said somewhere that it was uncut - probably the Restoration Team forum?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm surprised how expensive some Big Finish stuff is. Just was looking for a jumping off point, looked at tenth doctor stuff and its 20-30 bucks each. Is there like a radio station or something that just plays random ones? maybe a streaming deal?

edit: Listened to this not realizing at first it was a fan thing, their fake 9th was really good!

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 07:31 on May 13, 2021

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
We know for a fact that Barrowman's gross antics were common knowledge because there's a joke about it in The Ballad of Rusty and Julie. On the DVDs.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

We know for a fact that Barrowman's gross antics were common knowledge because there's a joke about it in The Ballad of Rusty and Julie. On the DVDs.

It's ambiguously phrased enough ("visions of Jonny B getting his cock out" IIRC, could be wrong) that it'd be very easy to misinterpret.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

DoctorWhat posted:

Also, the "BARROWMAN! :argh:" gag from the Buzzcocks special.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Khanstant posted:

I'm surprised how expensive some Big Finish stuff is. Just was looking for a jumping off point, looked at tenth doctor stuff and its 20-30 bucks each. Is there like a radio station or something that just plays random ones? maybe a streaming deal?

edit: Listened to this not realizing at first it was a fan thing, their fake 9th was really good!

:confused: :confused: :confused:

It's a fan thing with the real cast. There's also a load on spotify.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
9th doctors first boxset is now available!! Feel way too excited about this. :neckbeard:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lord knows when I'll get a chance to listen to it, but you can be drat sure I bought it as soon as it was available. After all, I haven't listened to Big Finish for awhile, but it looks like that's about to....

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Important to note that the revival series are also fan things with the real cast

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Still can't believe Patrick Troughton showed up cosplaying as the Doctor in Power of the Daleks and they put it on the air. This show is doomed!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Doctor Who was doomed the moment it stopped being a gritty modern drama about teachers trying to solve the riddle of their student Susan.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That policeman walked out of the frame and I threw the TV through the living room window and decried the death of all television :argh:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1392751469216944134

I really, really wish they could use the Murray Gold music. And they missed the chance for ‘...the trip of a lifetime!’ tag at the end.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
LOL. Nick Briggs is still settling scores over a certain fan argument i see.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Jerusalem posted:

Still can't believe Patrick Troughton showed up cosplaying as the Doctor in Power of the Daleks and they put it on the air. This show is doomed!

Alan Moore parachute account found!

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Khanstant posted:

I believe some of their earlier Doctor Who stories have been uploaded onto Spotify - it’s either the first 50 or the first 100 stories.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
First impressions! Very fun and Christopher Eccleston still got it. The only thing I'm really missing so far is Murray's score.

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 13, 2021

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

I mean, it was obvious just from watching interviews with him on Graham Norton or whatever. The whole "if he's gay then he's obviously going to try and have sex with me! Backs to the wall, lads!" thing is a deeply homophobic trope but frankly seemed appropriate in Barrowman's singular case.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/trevorbaxendale/status/1392845545845231616?s=20

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I got nostalgic and went looking, and luckily the BBC themselves provide!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYIu7Qlqh4M

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1392751469216944134

I really, really wish they could use the Murray Gold music. And they missed the chance for ‘...the trip of a lifetime!’ tag at the end.

What I love most about this trailer is the little play on the first ep, "Rose", with the camera panning over the world, but instead of zooming in, it zooms into space!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

:confused: :confused: :confused:

It's a fan thing with the real cast. There's also a load on spotify.

My mistake, I meant to paste a youtube link but I guess I failed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wHMFRAZT6k

I was referring to this fan production, not Big Finish in general oops

p.s. Just finished Echoes of Extinction -- it was really good. I think I like this format a great deal, I'm horrible at looking at shows while watching them anyway. I've just got myself loads of new who.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Khanstant posted:

I think Spotify has some of the older stuff, and sometimes BF will drop stuff for free/a single/a fiver.

Generally, the older stuff is 2.99 (American) or so for a download. Luckily you have us to tell which stories are great and which ones to avoid. I mean, you can get The Chimes of Midnight for 2.99!

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Khanstant posted:

If you shop smart, you can get stuff cheaper - the first 50 of the main range are on Spotify, as well as a selection of stuff from the spin-off ranges. If you buy stuff in the "bundles" option on the shop page, you can get a few together for a discounted price. In addition, they hold regular sales.

If you go to the "Big Finish Book Club" page on the website, every month they offer something at seemingly complete random for a low price. I managed to get And You Will Obey Me, The Mind Vampire and The Two Masters for a tenner a few months ago, for example.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Thank y'all, got me some options now.

I've just started an audio book The Stone Rose read by Tennent and it's hilarious when he does the voices for other characters, especially Jackie.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/KrynoidRoots/status/1392877836055236609

:allears:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1393191748994732034?s=20

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Ninth Doctor set was good. Won't set your world on fire, but the resolution was surprisingly strong.

Khanstant posted:

Just finished Echoes of Extinction -- it was really good. I think I like this format a great deal, I'm horrible at looking at shows while watching them anyway. I've just got myself loads of new who.

Yeah, it's pretty good. The first half, in particular, is a well paced little character drama, that plays out like a horror version of Rapunzel.

Burn Gorman is unrecognisable, and genuinely very scary in a role that could easily have become ridiculous.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Torchwood: Absent Friends was just cancelled by Big Finish. Completely understandable why...but man...having the Doctor pop up in a Torchwood story was something I was looking forward to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Man, no wonder Eccleston didn't do Big Finish stories set during series one. Most of his companions were creeps.