Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Luckily the style did help me understand some stands I didn't really get when I read it. Hopefully it'll also make the piss dragon make sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

I might get heat for this but Jojo's part 4 and 5 really suffered heavily from this. They were still decent enough because the source material was good, but they could have been excellent if they weren't such direct adaptations.

I don't disagree with you, there's certainly stuff that between a manga, anime and live action by the time I get to the third one it's like, I wish they'd not make everything such a same straight adaptation. On the other hand if things stray too far, then people might feel like they'd rather something more straightforward.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Yeah, it's an unenviable position. I may have an idea of what changes would have benefited the series, but making those changes would invite a whole discussion that the studio would probably rather not have.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

I might get heat for this but Jojo's part 4 and 5 really suffered heavily from this. They were still decent enough because the source material was good, but they could have been excellent if they weren't such direct adaptations.

I agree with you here. I think 5 was better than 4 for making certain parts pop but 4 was kind of a lifeless drag to me.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I cannot see an adaptation of Alternative going well, even if they start it out with four episodes of Extra/Unlimited. There's just no way I can figure out how they can do it well.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Fivemarks posted:

I cannot see an adaptation of Alternative going well, even if they start it out with four episodes of Extra/Unlimited. There's just no way I can figure out how they can do it well.

Chewie shows up.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The projects cursed af and I hope the recast doesn't mean the original vas are just out of the franchise now

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I have only the barest knowledge of Muv-Luv, and nothing I've learned has ever made me want to know more.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

They were already moving towards softening the Muv-Luv designs previously, at least to the point of using them for some relatively minor side material.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Muv Luv Is Good.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Too much of the Muv in the world today, not enough of the Luv IMHO.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
The problem with MuvLuv is that all the side materials jumped headfirst into just out and out fascism.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

That's just a problem with military fiction in general

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Especially military fiction where the enemy faction is a big spooky monolithic alien/monster invasion, since "we all have to unite under our powerful government and military in order to have the strength to resist the other attempting to destroy us" is basically the meat and potatoes of fascist mythology.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I've been looking for a picture that I think is Patlabor official art. It's the AV-98 Ingram standing next to its weapons arsenal laid on the ground in front of the mech. Does anyone have that or at least remember seeing it so I know i'm not insane?

e: Something like this but as an illustration I think.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

GimmickMan posted:

I've been looking for a picture that I think is Patlabor official art. It's the AV-98 Ingram standing next to its weapons arsenal laid on the ground in front of the mech. Does anyone have that or at least remember seeing it so I know i'm not insane?

I know that's a style of robot drawing I've seen multiple examples of before, although this is the only one I can find right now

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Right? It feels like there's a lot of it but I could only think of that one example yet was incapable of even finding that one picture.

Thanks for this one btw, it's reference material so any source is fine!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Found another

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

Especially military fiction where the enemy faction is a big spooky monolithic alien/monster invasion, since "we all have to unite under our powerful government and military in order to have the strength to resist the other attempting to destroy us" is basically the meat and potatoes of fascist mythology.

Which is why it's so fun that 86 went hardcore antifascist with the premise.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

First time I ever saw an image like that it was showing the load out of one of the mechs from gasaraki.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 12, 2021

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
how would that work for patlabor, though? there would be a revolver, a shotgun and the ammo. patlabors are never more heavily armed than that and even the shotgun is used sparingly.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe one of the Nato combat labors from the start of the second movie.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
They also have the shock batons, and I think riot shields?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
https://twitter.com/REJ_Productions/status/1392251676648742913

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

how would that work for patlabor, though? there would be a revolver, a shotgun and the ammo. patlabors are never more heavily armed than that and even the shotgun is used sparingly.

This is a good question to which I can only answer "I probably misremembered that Evangelion pic for a Patlabor pic, somehow". Truly a reprehensible crime against mechadom, I might as well have called the Gundam a Transformer.

But hey, I needed a reference and I got 3 of them! Thanks, Mecha thread!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Ah, here's another one then:

Those are armor expansion sets that go on the mech in the center.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is that the Core Gundam? I can't quite make it out on my phone.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is that the Core Gundam? I can't quite make it out on my phone.

Yeah, Core Gundam II.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm really glad we didn't get goofy facial expression giant

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

GimmickMan posted:

This is a pretty common publicity photo for military aircraft and armored fighting vehicles in real life so you may also be conflating half-remembered images of Apaches and T-72s with mecha.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Here's Yukine Chris from Symphogear. Not quite mecha but mecha adjacent.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

And that's not even her entire arsenal there. It also VASTLY underestimates how many missiles she usually fires when she busts them out, Chris has a loadout that would make a Valkyrie jealous.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

those are bigger than her head

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Siegkrow posted:

Yeah it owns

KoB
May 1, 2009

Siegkrow posted:

hell ya chris owns

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Of course a cruise missile and giant sword are bigger than her head???

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Omnicrom posted:

And that's not even her entire arsenal there. It also VASTLY underestimates how many missiles she usually fires when she busts them out, Chris has a loadout that would make a Valkyrie jealous.

Yeah I don't think she ever fires off just one missile. She had Megadeth Party and Megadeth Infinity but I don't remember a regular one shot Megadeth

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
If she ever just fires one missile it's because it's mega gently caress off huge. Basically she's the best.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Logicblade posted:

If she ever just fires one missile it's because it's mega gently caress off huge. Basically she's the best.

Alternately she needs to get somewhere fast and what better way to do that than to ride an ICBM? Of course in cases like that she usually also fires off a couple of giant missiles because when she needs to get somewhere fast it's usually because there's someone there that she wants to shoot very badly.

Shout outs also to her sniper rifle which she takes four seasons to actually fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Anybody check out the new Ai upscaled Encode of Big O by EG? Looked really odd to me, some parts were lookin' much sharper, but the added noise looked very dissimilar to real film noise, very distracting.

Really though I think we need a kickstarter to buy the masters and rescan them instead of using robot