Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-NxqWmWhIk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I think like all my gear has a built in speaker lol. Except the keystep.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

everything should come with speakers and run on batteries imo

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

everything that's reasonably small enough to put in a backpack, at least. Even if I don't plan to use it on the go very often, it'd be nice to have the option.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

MockingQuantum posted:

I guess I'm a criminal, since I'm guilty of owning an OP-1 and having formerly owned some Volcas. Definitely don't have saudi prince money though, I'd own a lot more synths if I did.

I mean good money for good synths is worth it. But good money for bad synths must just affirm that money doesn't buy taste.

(Not crapping an middle east music mind you...just overpriced ersatz and overpriced versions of it)

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
My younger brother (mostly guitarist, my musical scatterbrain seems to have not affected him) has been looking for a drum machine for ages but isn't mega sure what he wants, and despite years of me going 'get a DAW', just in general, not just for drums, he still has pretty limited practical experience with these things.

Earlier I suggested he look at the Drumbrute Impact because he has some interest in analogue sounds and I think he'd enjoy the tweakability of it as he likes building pedals.
15 minutes after suggesting that and watching some of the loopop and sonicLAB videos my inevitable next message to him was "...I'll let you know how it is" :smith::buddy:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

NonzeroCircle posted:

My younger brother (mostly guitarist, my musical scatterbrain seems to have not affected him) has been looking for a drum machine for ages but isn't mega sure what he wants, and despite years of me going 'get a DAW', just in general, not just for drums, he still has pretty limited practical experience with these things.

Earlier I suggested he look at the Drumbrute Impact because he has some interest in analogue sounds and I think he'd enjoy the tweakability of it as he likes building pedals.
15 minutes after suggesting that and watching some of the loopop and sonicLAB videos my inevitable next message to him was "...I'll let you know how it is" :smith:

I love mine to death, you’re going to have loads of fun with it. It feels so live and playable just like a “real” instrument.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I remember your quest for a drum machine you clicked (hurrrrrrr) with being a pretty long journey KMD, and you were coming at it from a really similar angle to my brother so I find that heartening to hear.

I ordered it because I've had a tough week so retail therapy, and also wanted something to complement my microfreak-I got a pissy little £18 Behringer line mixer too just so I can have more things hooked up to my interface at once, will mean I can have pretty much everything (microfreak, drumbrute impact, SR16) hooked up for jamz at once, and still have a port on the interface free for guitar :D

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

MockingQuantum posted:

I guess I'm a criminal, since I'm guilty of owning an OP-1 and having formerly owned some Volcas. Definitely don't have saudi prince money though, I'd own a lot more synths if I did.

shhhh... don't tell op about the edp wasp

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Anyone played with the mutable instruments blades now that it's been out for a bit? Definitely looking to add some more filters to my eurorack and it seems like a great combo of features, price and availability.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

A MIRACLE posted:

I kinda miss my Yamaha PSR-12. :smith:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

It’s ok I miss my mt 40 a lot. But it went to a good home. I also sold my reface cs. So I need a new mini keyboard

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Roland boutiques are also way better synths than their onboard speakers (or tiny buttons) would suggest, while we're on this subject.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

The only good thing about volca speakers is that they are not visible, just useless poo poo.
No batteries on anything ever, nope.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

W424 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjOyl6zS-eU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

W424 posted:

The only good thing about volca speakers is that they are not visible, just useless poo poo.

The good thing about volca's batteries is that they make them completely noise-free.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFQ_UhHv4hM&t=224s

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Batteries are cool & good, just not an excuse not to include a charger in the package anyway (looking at you, Volcas).

Volca onboard speakers are so hilariously bad it's astounding. Like they literally cannot handle a kick drum, it's past its range. On the other hand, I'm really happy with the built-in speakers on my Reface DX - sure, they're not something you'd want to play a gig with, but they're perfectly usable for doodling or knob-twiddling.

It's nice to be able to gently caress around with a synth in a park.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Deluge has speaker and battery.

It's great to be able to play around on it while on the patio.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
The only reason I want an MPC is so I can annoy my family with the Live 2’s speaker.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

Shart Carbuncle posted:

The only reason I want an MPC is so I can annoy my family with the Live 2’s speaker.

Warning: loud.

https://youtu.be/lmEhCDRvQKA

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I’m going to the beach for a week and want to bring something grooveboxy but I’m not sure what yet

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

field balm posted:

Anyone played with the mutable instruments blades now that it's been out for a bit? Definitely looking to add some more filters to my eurorack and it seems like a great combo of features, price and availability.

I already have a Bionic Lester mk3 which does the seamless transition between filter types (plus comb filter mode which jfc owns) so I went with the stereo dipole instead. I also looked into the Qpad but this video sold me on the dipole.

https://youtu.be/KKNM1LJibFs

I use a Hertz Donut mk3 and use slow operator modulation instead of the chainsaw but that into with dipole with a quad quantizer slowly morphing the resonant peaks of the dipole between chord presets into a reverb is utterly amazing for drones

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A MIRACLE posted:

I’m going to the beach for a week and want to bring something grooveboxy but I’m not sure what yet

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

which is everyone's favorite? i like the coyote. the cow is a close second though, she looks so pleased with herself

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

which is everyone's favorite? i like the coyote. the cow is a close second though, she looks so pleased with herself

The coyote has potential but the cow was on a track with Shabba Ranks

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

:birddrugs:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Big fan of the turkey but tied with cow for first

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
Cat, frog, and duck EZ

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Bishop, do the thing with the knife!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DibYSBpg1wk

Quick n dirty phone video of jamming out Come To Daddy on my Microfreak and new Drumbrute Impact

I'm digging this drum machine a lot

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 15, 2021

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
i saw araabmuzik at the treasure island music festival in oakland, and he did his mpc thing to mala/DMZ's - Eyez and it blew my mind (at the timestamp here, if it's not working tho it's at 5:51 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T20fgOaySQ0&t=351s

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Pretty bonkers that these are basically kid-friendly record players.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

So Math posted:

Pretty bonkers that these are basically kid-friendly record players.

i very distinctly remember having an older one as a very young kid and grabbing the center bit to distort and reverse the sound coming out it it

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I had a yak bak I think that was my first sampler

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

my first op-1

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

inferis posted:

my first op-1

I still have mine

it doesn’t work :(

but I haven’t taken it apart to try to fix it yet so—

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
my first synth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCRmhxoJIQA

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
This song sampled a bunch of Talkboy tapes that they found at Goodwills/thrift stores and they had all these conversations between a brother and sister trying to one up each other by threatening to kill each other in more comically over the top ways https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TqlVCKfX3hk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

A MIRACLE posted:

I had a yak bak I think that was my first sampler

:same: