Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

goatface posted:

I don't know if she is that advanced.

Gross dudes she's only 16.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Crab Dad posted:

Gross dudes she's only 16.

The Bloop posted:

surely you mean headologist

goatface posted:

I don't know if she is that advanced.

It's a Discworld reference

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

:911:

Popular Comics

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I've only just realised it could be anything else.

I was merely suggesting that we haven't seen her make physics look the other way by glaring at it.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

goatface posted:

I've only just realised it could be anything else.

I was merely suggesting that we haven't seen her make physics look the other way by glaring at it.

I definely meant in the granny weatherwax direction not nanny ogg style double entendre

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Slammy posted:

Dark Laughter (August 18, 1945)

Bootsie - the Captain America we should have had.

In today's long-delayed, but extended Blueberry: All we have to do is rely on Graig. Oh God, we're doomed, or Blueberry wins a bet, or Wasn't he supposed to save his strength for a court-martial?

And another piece of Gir's proper art-work, which is frankly astounding

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Doomykins posted:

"Jucika and the Train"

In case someone wants a Jucika avatar.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Samovar posted:

Bootsie - the Captain America we should have had.

In today's long-delayed, but extended Blueberry: All we have to do is rely on Graig. Oh God, we're doomed, or Blueberry wins a bet, or Wasn't he supposed to save his strength for a court-martial?

And another piece of Gir's proper art-work, which is frankly astounding

It's really nice to read Blueberry after only hearing references to it. It's actually pretty good, though I suspect it will soon fall into the same spot as Corto, where is stop reading it in the thread because I want to buy them for myself.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (September 19, 1992)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Blueberry is really good.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Dustin's employers take over a month to get around to paying him for his labor, but sure, Dustin's the rear end in a top hat for not being super enthused about working for them.

Yes, Bernice, I agree. It IS weird for a grown-rear end adult who likes another adult to pussyfoot around with indirect little schemes and middle-school hijinx instead of just asking for a date in a straightforward manner.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the Golden Tail

Snufkin has the right idea Moomin, he loves you for who you are, so relax and spend some time with him instead.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

I am afraid I need this explained to me.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Johnny Aztec posted:

I am afraid I need this explained to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cakewalk_(carnival_game)
Robbie hosed up by making a pie when he should have made a cake. When he makes the correct item - a red velvet cake - Bobby hates it.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Why do the people in the Banana Oil strip shout "Banana Oil!"? Is it a common phrase from the publication time, or is it just something like a personalized comic strip rimshot?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

maltesh posted:

Why do the people in the Banana Oil strip shout "Banana Oil!"? Is it a common phrase from the publication time, or is it just something like a personalized comic strip rimshot?
I think it was a euphemism for "Bullshit"
ed:
AMERICAN, INFORMAL. If you call what someone says banana oil, you mean that it is only said to gain an advantage and is not sincere. "All the things he said about her qualities of leadership were just banana oil". Complete English Grammar Rules.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Julet Esqu posted:

Dustin's employers take over a month to get around to paying him for his labor, but sure, Dustin's the rear end in a top hat for not being super enthused about working for them.

it's not his employers's fault it's the fault of the USPS (a government agency and therefore ineffecient)

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I think it was a euphemism for "Bullshit"
ed:
AMERICAN, INFORMAL. If you call what someone says banana oil, you mean that it is only said to gain an advantage and is not sincere. "All the things he said about her qualities of leadership were just banana oil". Complete English Grammar Rules.

But it's tricky with those old comics. Sometimes they're just using slang that was common at the time and sometimes they invent a word that becomes slang due to being popular in the comic.

Worry Wort is a good example of the latter. I think goon is as well.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cakewalk_(carnival_game)
Robbie hosed up by making a pie when he should have made a cake. When he makes the correct item - a red velvet cake - Bobby hates it.

Oh, I was over thinking it. Was just simple "Pie is not cake"

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Weembles posted:

But it's tricky with those old comics. Sometimes they're just using slang that was common at the time and sometimes they invent a word that becomes slang due to being popular in the comic.

Worry Wort is a good example of the latter. I think goon is as well.
Don't forget Milquetoast!

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Johnny Aztec posted:

"Pie is not cake"

Boston Cream Pie is cake

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

The Bloop posted:

Boston Cream Pie is cake

It has a crust and is therefore a pie.

Just like cheesecake - which is a pie.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Jeremy is SUCH a good boy

Classic Zits

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Julet Esqu posted:

Yes, Bernice, I agree. It IS weird for a grown-rear end adult who likes another adult to pussyfoot around with indirect little schemes and middle-school hijinx instead of just asking for a date in a straightforward manner.

@#$% DREW COREY

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

You know, if the Evans were capable of writing an actual character like they were human beings, Luann could point out how Bernice was doing the same thing she's complaining about and maybe offer some friendly advice. Then maybe Bernice could grow as a person. But again, that'd require understanding how humans communicate.

The Dinette Set is unsanitary.

Working Daze is a threat and a menace.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix does what it loves, and never works a day in its life.

Cul De Sac gets things moving.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I wonder if it'll turn out that she's mailing this to a fake honeypot address, which her dad left in the book to see if he could trust her...

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Oh, come on, it's obvious. Giant Robot Kitty Cop. It's an evil twin story AND a giant robot story! It was good enough for Godzilla and it's good enough for you.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Jeremy is SUCH a good boy

The thing is, when Zits first started running, I remember quite a few pissy letters to the editor about what a nasty, unpleasant kid Jeremy was. When your point of comparison for comic strip teens is Archie, or Blondie and Dagwood's kids, or even, God save us, Michael Patterson, Jeremy's sighing and eye-rolling at his parents looks like a shocking act of rebellion.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

The Lockhorns

Footrot Flats

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Selachian posted:

The thing is, when Zits first started running, I remember quite a few pissy letters to the editor about what a nasty, unpleasant kid Jeremy was. When your point of comparison for comic strip teens is Archie, or Blondie and Dagwood's kids, or even, God save us, Michael Patterson, Jeremy's sighing and eye-rolling at his parents looks like a shocking act of rebellion.

Jeremy’s favorite band is Gingivitis and his father is an orthodontist, how can that be construed as anything less than a direct attack on his parents that is totally equivalent to tossing a toddler out in the snow??!!???

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Weembles posted:

It has a crust and is therefore a pie.

Just like cheesecake - which is a pie.

1. Boston Creme Pie does not have a crust

2. Cheesecake is a tart because it doesn't have a top crust (which would make it a pie)

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

The Bloop posted:

1. Boston Creme Pie does not have a crust

2. Cheesecake is a tart because it doesn't have a top crust (which would make it a pie)

but pumpkin pie doesn't have a top crust

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

nishi koichi posted:

Neither does regular pizza, but that doesn’t stop New Jersey.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nishi koichi posted:

And it is a misnamed tart just like cheesecake and key lime pie

I mean obviously it doesn't actually matter

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Not sure if this is racist, I think it's "here we see the strange custom of made-up country" more than anything. Spoiling it anyway.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

I am wholly prepared for this to be some bullshit that will make me mad.

Also gently caress off Tracy. "He didn't do it!" says the suspect's wife. "He didn't do it!" says the suspect's friend. "Shut up! He clearly sabotaged the boat's GPS because reasons!" says Tracy. gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Selachian posted:

Richard's Poor Almanac

The business with ice cubes eventually ended up in Cul de Sac.

That is, in fact, a pre-Alician Alice.