Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, which is why that (referring to colonialist ethnic cleansing being a monstrous notion) is what you should say, instead of arguing that modern Jews have no link to the historical Levant. The former is a perfectly reasonable statement, while the latter is at best a meaningless distraction that can very easily slide into anti-Semitic conspiracy.

E: Snipe, edited for clarity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

This whole thing is very stupid and I'm very tired.

Literally no one stands to benefit from any of this, not even the people in charge; obligatory posturing to the detriment of all.

Bibi does very much stand to if he get's to play fuhrer instead of going to jail.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Nonsense posted:

https://twitter.com/scottwongDC/status/1392303462319366144?s=20

Israel is going to have carte blanche just like always.

Just a loving evil old lich.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

It's honestly mind blowing how the narrative for all of Israeli social media is "the Palestinians shot rockets and we're just responding"

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
The back and forth here, with people talking past each other and putting words in the other person’s mouth really reminds me of conversations with my parents.
When people say this:

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yeah, which is why that (referring to colonialist ethnic cleansing being a monstrous notion) is what you should say, instead of arguing that modern Jews have no link to the historical Levant. The former is a perfectly reasonable statement, while the latter is at best a meaningless distraction that can very easily slide into anti-Semitic conspiracy.

E: Snipe, edited for clarity.

They do not mean to say “therefore Jews and only Jews have a right to exist in the Levant.”
When we say that Jews have a right to exist in the Levant, we do not mean that we have a right to form an ethnostate and cleanse the land of our enemies. I don’t care if the British started it, it’s up to the people of today to stop it.
It’s not that hard, people.

... except it is that hard for the voting population of Israel, I guess. :(

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

I don't think African Americans would argue they have a right to land and a polity of their own within Africa (obviously Liberia exists but that was very much a white mans project in hopes of ridding themselves of the African Americans, so in a way quite a lot like Israel :v:), but instead they have a cultural link to there. Which is something any Americanized Jewish person would probably also say. It's a very different thing than loving zionism.
Liberia actually seems like a decent parallel to Israel.

A colony founded via an alliance between some members of an oppressed minority and the racist majority that wanted a faraway place to ship them to. Destination chosen based on vague historical/cultural/religions affinity woowoo nonsense regardless of the fact that other people already lived there. Same woowoo nonsense used to justify stealing the land, oppressing and genociding the native people, and acting as bad or worse than their former oppresors, with the military backing of the sponsoring state(s).

Except in Liberia the colonizers eventually lost so nobody's driven by weirdo culture war bullshit to be all "actually the Americo-Liberians were promised that land by god and who are these so-called natives anyway they must be invaders don't ask too many questions just look at how savage they are I mean we're doing them a favor really" etc etc

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Miftan posted:

It's honestly mind blowing how the narrative for all of Israeli social media is "the Palestinians shot rockets and we're just responding"
Because that’s the convenient narrative

We can’t talk about how it got to the point where they started firing rockets.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Miftan posted:

It's not that mind blowing. How many times have you heard something along the lines of "The protestor threw a rock at the police so they had to respond"?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's not that mind blowing. How many times have you heard something along the lines of "The protestor threw a rock at the police so they had to respond"?

Yeah but this isn't "decades of racism and apartheid coming to a boil", Israel definitely shot first in a very clear incident that was covered on Israeli news and everyone had memory holed within a day.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Miftan posted:

Yeah but this isn't "decades of racism and apartheid coming to a boil", Israel definitely shot first in a very clear incident that was covered on Israeli news and everyone had memory holed within a day.

Miftan, I ask with a certain amount of knowledge of your history and experience with Israel and the IDF, does any of this actually surprise you, rather than just being shocking? I find it hard to even calibrate whether this is a genuine escalation, and if it's more like the First or Second Intifada

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Miftan, I ask with a certain amount of knowledge of your history and experience with Israel and the IDF, does any of this actually surprise you, rather than just being shocking? I find it hard to even calibrate whether this is a genuine escalation, and if it's more like the First or Second Intifada

Mostly shocking, but I think, on reflection, that it's more that every time this happens I am surprised to discover via social media the amount of people I know personally and thought were good people (even on I/P!) are just bloodthirsty monsters. Actual "I don't understand why we don't just kill everyone in Gaza or enough people that they never even think about messing with us again!!" rants.

It's always surreal coming across this stuff from people who I thought were better than that.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

The back and forth here, with people talking past each other and putting words in the other person’s mouth really reminds me of conversations with my parents.
When people say this:

They do not mean to say “therefore Jews and only Jews have a right to exist in the Levant.”
When we say that Jews have a right to exist in the Levant, we do not mean that we have a right to form an ethnostate and cleanse the land of our enemies. I don’t care if the British started it, it’s up to the people of today to stop it.
It’s not that hard, people.

... except it is that hard for the voting population of Israel, I guess. :(

I mean anyone should have the right to exist anywhere.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Just when you thought Israel couldn’t get any more blatantly fascist against a dirt poor population:

https://twitter.com/MariamBarghouti/status/1392472066021076995

quote:

In addition to those killed, hundreds have been injured by live and rubber bullets, tear gas and beatings, but also by a weapon that is lesser known to the global media covering the protests. Many have erroneously referred to it as a water cannon or a sewage truck.

In Arabic, we call it the “kharara”- literally “the shitter” – for its putrid smell. In English, it is called skunk water, after the notoriously awful smell released by skunks. Skunk water was developed as a “crowd control weapon” by an Israeli company called Odortec.

Skunk water is a liquid compound with an overpowering odour that has been described by those who have experienced it as the smell of sewage mixed with rotting corpses. In reality, it is a concoction of chemicals that causes intense nausea, obstructing normal breathing, causing violent gagging and vomiting. The company’s safety sheet also indicates that it can cause skin irritation, eye and abdominal pain. Palestinians have also reported that it causes hair loss.

Security forces that use skunk water claim that it is non-lethal and non-toxic. Yet high doses can have a lethal effect, and when it is fired from a water cannon, it is sprayed at extremely high pressure, which can cause serious injury.

Even a small spray of the skunk water leaves a stench on the skin for days. On clothes and in buildings the stench can last even longer.

Of course, the Israeli forces do not use it to suppress protests; they also deploy it for collective punishment. Skunk trucks pass through Palestinian neighbourhoods spraying buildings in retaliation for local residents protesting Israeli occupation and apartheid.

As a result, businesses have to close for days and families have to leave their homes for long periods of time until the stench is gone. This is what makes it a brutal collective punishment tool.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

DarkCrawler posted:

I mean anyone should have the right to exist anywhere.

Yup. If you support the returning of "bloodland" to a historic nationality (as if such a thing existed) you support ethnic cleansing. Can't have nationality tied to citizenship and also do that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Another apartment block is down:

https://twitter.com/IntelCrab/status/1392511570522030081?s=20

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/byyourlogic/status/1392510402177687556?s=21

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Well that is sure to de-escalate the situation, I feel so safe thanks to the valiant efforts of the IDF.

gently caress everyone who supports this poo poo.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Is UNRWA still a good place to donate for support right now, or is the UN going hands off at the moment?

Money isn't going to help this but there is gently caress all else I can do.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

From my American perspective, it doesn't matter whether people have been in a place for 50 years or 150 years or 1,050 years, once they've been there long enough, it's not like they have any place to be sent back to. The most you can hope for is for the government of the area to be dedicated to treating people equally and respect their rights.

Only the government of Israel has no interest in treating people equally, they've been very clear about only wanting to give rights to a narrowly defined ethnic group and unpersoning or killing people outside that group.

It's bad.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Madkal posted:

Same in the 90's but then someone decided to become an assassin instead of a politician. Still would have been interesting to see where the world would have gone if Rabin wasn't killed.

Even Rabin supported the settlements for "security" purposes. The left wing in Israel supports the ethnic cleansing, just on a slower timeline.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
They seem to have arrested/evicted the guy who gave the interview for CNN yesterday

https://twitter.com/JalalAK_jojo/status/1392534796191031301

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

mila kunis posted:

They seem to have arrested/evicted the guy who gave the interview for CNN yesterday

https://twitter.com/JalalAK_jojo/status/1392534796191031301

Oh come on — what the gently caress. DTI.

MLSM fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 12, 2021

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Don’t think the American playbook of bombing media buildings is gonna work in an age where everyone can livestream.

https://twitter.com/ramabdu/status/1392506487583485952?s=21

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell
I've had a general awareness of these issues since like 2008 or so but I don't have any idea of how any progress could ever be made for the people of Palestine. Are there any reasonable proposals from international groups that have even a ghost of a chance?

It's been almost 2 decades of the same volatile status quo where Israeli actions provoke violent response from Hamas and then Israel brings in the military to kill 50 or 100 times as many people, with half or more being civilians. And then in a few years, the orphans of the last conflict hit the age to be recruited into the rocket crews and the cycle begins again. There doesn't seem to be any appetite among the Israeli public to vote for politicians that support Palestinian rights, and no Arab party has even been part of a coalition in Israeli history, so internal resolution seems completely impossible.

Meanwhile, external interventions seem equally toothless, with Israel's status as a nuclear state and built up military making any direct conflict impossible and the US's veto power on every international body making political or economic consequences a non-starter. If the bombing of UN shelters, hospitals, and schools wasn't enough to dislodge the US's "close ally" status, is there anything that can really be done?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Given how hard pro-Israeli groups try to discredit it, I suspect BDS is the best vehicle for change.

US support probably is key, but domestic political concerns are vastly more important to American politicians than the idea of Israel is (with the possible exception of the Evangelicals, they might be beyond hope, but there isn't enough of them)

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 12, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

BougieBitch posted:

Are there any reasonable proposals from international groups that have even a ghost of a chance?
No, and now a two-state solution is out the window because of the last two decades of Israeli settlements being built on Palestinian land

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

Given how hard pro-Israeli groups try to discredit it, I suspect BDS is the best vehicle for change.

US support probably is key, but domestic political concerns are vastly more important to American politicians than the idea of Israel is (with the possible exception of the Evangelicals, they might be beyond hope, but there isn't enough of them)

The US government doesn't give a single solitary poo poo about the existence of Israel as a home for Jewish people, but they do care about having a sea-backed military ally in that area. The issue that compounds things is that the US has strong ties with Israel, but so does China to a lesser extent. If the US pulls support Israel would be happy to switch sides and that is something that is a total showstopper.

BDS helps with financial pressure but if we are just talking about supplying arms then the supply will not stop.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

BougieBitch posted:

I've had a general awareness of these issues since like 2008 or so but I don't have any idea of how any progress could ever be made for the people of Palestine. Are there any reasonable proposals from international groups that have even a ghost of a chance?

It's been almost 2 decades of the same volatile status quo where Israeli actions provoke violent response from Hamas and then Israel brings in the military to kill 50 or 100 times as many people, with half or more being civilians. And then in a few years, the orphans of the last conflict hit the age to be recruited into the rocket crews and the cycle begins again. There doesn't seem to be any appetite among the Israeli public to vote for politicians that support Palestinian rights, and no Arab party has even been part of a coalition in Israeli history, so internal resolution seems completely impossible.

Meanwhile, external interventions seem equally toothless, with Israel's status as a nuclear state and built up military making any direct conflict impossible and the US's veto power on every international body making political or economic consequences a non-starter. If the bombing of UN shelters, hospitals, and schools wasn't enough to dislodge the US's "close ally" status, is there anything that can really be done?

Most of what needs to happen is international. I mean obviously ultimately what needs to happen is on Israel, but I think it's safe to assume there is zero chance that, like apartheid south africa, Israel will ever voluntarily give up the status quo. As such, there needs to be substantial international pressure against Israel for their blatant, unambiguous violation of international law. Long-term occupation is fundamentally prohibited under every international law regime out there, and has been largely for two centuries. Even in a hypothetically legal occupation, the occupying state is legally required to provide for everything the occupied poeple need, which no one in their right mind is going to think Israel does or has any intention of doing.

basically international law needs to be applied and above all the US needs to stop giving international cover to Israel. The conventional and military support also needs to stop. BDS needs to continue and expand. Politicians feet need to be held to the fire over their support for Israel.

At this point there's no way for even a pause of settlements to change the course: Israel has been using their settlements as a way to carve out arable land and to steal the limited sources of irrigation water. Simply pausing settlements is nearly as bad as continuing them given how much of the productive land has already been stolen.

and as cuddle cryptid points out, you run into the issue that another security council power would almost invariably step in to provide international cover

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
I mean, is it an unreasonable position to take that given the way that Palestine was organized demographically pre-WW2, that there was never a way to carve two states out of that where one couldn't de facto economically/militarily dominate or puppet the other?

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

BougieBitch posted:

What about the current ethnic conflict nearby in ethiopia? The one with videos of soldiers summarily executing POWs with a bullet to the back of the head. And civilians taking refuge in churches being massacred.

That's a rhetorical question, but I want you to think about why the IP conflict feels so much more personal to you than the Ethiopian one. It could help you understand something about your own human nature.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

human garbage bag posted:

What about the current ethnic conflict nearby in ethiopia? The one with videos of soldiers summarily executing POWs with a bullet to the back of the head. And civilians taking refuge in churches being massacred.

That's a rhetorical question, but I want you to think about why the IP conflict feels so much more personal to you than the Ethiopian one. It could help you understand something about your own human nature.

I'm sure you are trying to point out that awareness is tied into what media chooses to cover and our personal feelings of attachment to the victimized people, but I don't like that conflict, or the one in Myanmar/Burma, or the one between Azerbaijan and Armenia, or any other one. However, in this case one side is a nuclear power with air, land, and water superiority and the other side is an open-air refugee camp. Also, this is the I/P thread, so I'm obviously not going to try to bait people into talking about other atrocities just because it is convenient rhetorically to play the "what about" game

If you were going to make a comparison, it would have at least been more pertinent to bring up SA/Yemen

BougieBitch fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 12, 2021

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It feels more personal because the arms used to kill those Palestinians are bought, paid for, and delivered by my own tax dollars. The issue with the Gaza Strip isn't that it is unique, it's that the entire reason it exists is because international superpowers pump up the arms trade on one side of the conflict beyond all reason.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
:nsfw:

https://cdn.fro.wtf/reddit/publicfreakout/nawom4.mp4

pogrom of Arabs on live israeli TV, no idea if he survived, is showing symptoms of tbi in responses

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
edit: beaten

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

BougieBitch posted:

I'm sure you are trying to point out that awareness is tied into what media chooses to cover and our personal feelings of attachment to the victimized people, but I don't like that conflict, or the one in Myanmar/Burma, or the one between Azerbaijan and Armenia, or any other one. However, in this case one side is a nuclear power with air, land, and water superiority and the other side is an open-air refugee camp. Also, this is the I/P thread, so I'm obviously not going to try to bait people into talking about other atrocities just because it is convenient rhetorically to play the "what about" game

If you were going to make a comparison, it would have at least been more pertinent to bring up SA/Yemen

You're getting there. It's the apparent power disparity.

You see an elephant fighting a honey badger. Your instincts tell you the elephant should be able to kill the honey badger easily. But it doesn't for some reason, it just kind of pushes the badger around and maybe picks it up with its trunk and throws it lightly. And the badger keeps trying to attack the elephant. Certainly the elephant would eventually get pissed off and just kill the badger, right? But you've been observing them fight for weeks, and the elephant still hasn't killed the badger.

Then your prey instinct kicks in. Maybe the elephant isn't as strong as it looks? Maybe it's injured, and can't actually kill the badger. Maybe you can fight and kill the elephant for food.

That's what I think is happening to Israel. By not using its full power against Gaza, it appears weak to outsiders and triggers their prey instinct, which is why you see so much more vitriole against Israel as opposed to Assad or SA. It is like a group of tribal hunters egging each other on to attack the apparently weak elephant.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gently caress off, freak

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I do not wish to be rude but that does not seem an appropriate metaphor in any way.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

You're getting there. It's the apparent power disparity.

You see an elephant fighting a honey badger. Your instincts tell you the elephant should be able to kill the honey badger easily. But it doesn't for some reason, it just kind of pushes the badger around and maybe picks it up with its trunk and throws it lightly. And the badger keeps trying to attack the elephant. Certainly the elephant would eventually get pissed off and just kill the badger, right? But you've been observing them fight for weeks, and the elephant still hasn't killed the badger.

Then your prey instinct kicks in. Maybe the elephant isn't as strong as it looks? Maybe it's injured, and can't actually kill the badger. Maybe you can fight and kill the elephant for food.

That's what I think is happening to Israel. By not using its full power against Gaza, it appears weak to outsiders and triggers their prey instinct, which is why you see so much more vitriole against Israel as opposed to Assad or SA. It is like a group of tribal hunters egging each other on to attack the apparently weak elephant.
Lol what the gently caress is this, this analysis makes no sense. The reason people are discussing this is because it is current, well-documented, and ongoing for over 50 years. Assad wishes he had that kind of staying power.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Israel is really restraining themselves by only destroying several blocks at a time in Gaza. If they wanted to they could probably kill every single Palestinian in a matter of weeks. It's because of this restraint that people hate Israel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Human garbage has been trolling the CSPAM I/P thread too, just ignore them