Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of these pink video game heroes is best
This poll is closed.
Kirby 126 71.59%
Jigglypuff 34 19.32%
Clefairy 16 9.09%
Total: 176 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

That line in the Simpsons about Cider and Apple juice is very confusing to a non-American.

Me, I love me some cider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Cider in the states is just apple juice

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i have drunk 1-2 fat tires every day for the past like three years. would recommend

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Soft cider isn't the same as just juice though I'm not 100% sure what the difference is precisely

Hard cider definitely exists but isn't super popular

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

exquisite tea posted:

Yuengling was my favorite cheap American beer but then I read somewhere the CEO was a huge Trump supporter or something so now I gotta settle for Gansett.

I have seen a security hologram of him... killing Yuenglings :smith:

I should get some beers for Tax Prep Round 2

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Soft cider isn't the same as just juice though I'm not 100% sure what the difference is precisely

yeah most people don't know the difference, but I do. if its clear and yella you've got juice there fella, if its tangy and brown you're in cider town

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have seen a security hologram of him... killing Yuenglings :smith:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lmao all this time I thought Ned was into Strongbow.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
i've been seeing more and more craft ciders over the past year or two so it's definitely something that seems to be on the upswing

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

haveblue posted:

it is actually a british thing, hard cider is way less popular in the states, although they keep trying to make it happen

Cider used to be extremely popular in the US, but Prohibition killed it off for a good while and apple producers switched over to making eating apples (and non-alcoholic cider).

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

i've been seeing more and more craft ciders over the past year or two so it's definitely something that seems to be on the upswing

Yeah, it definitely is making a comeback. There are cideries around Madison that are pretty good, for example.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Top 5 lagers:

Asahi Super Dry
Camden Hells
Beerlao
Bucanero Max
Staropramen

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Khanstant posted:

how do u guys drink a beer without getting gnarly beer shits the day after

Just eat right before and after drinking

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Drink water too

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I like some hard ciders but they vary wildly. Some taste great and some taste like poo poo. And I don't drink enough to remember which ones I hate.

cheetah7071 posted:

Cider is good warm.

Nobody wants warm apple juice.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I had a Romanian Diff Eq professor in college that swore by vinegar before drinking. His big advice was "You can eat steak and one glass of vodka, or pickle and TEN glass of vodka".

I paid good loving money to get that advice, so it must be true.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Zaphod42 posted:

Cider is good warm.

zaphod no please

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The way Prohibition changed apple production in the US is pretty interesting, I think. Pre-Prohibition, most apples were grown for hard cider or for apple-based liquors like applejack. Prohibition forced apple growers to switch over to growing apples meant for eating instead of fermenting. That snowballed when beer, wine, and other liquors became more popular during and after Prohibition, and it's only fairly recently that hard ciders have started to make a real comeback in the US. Also what we call "applejack" now is pretty different from what it used to be, largely due to it no longer being freeze-distilled (probably a good thing, because freeze distillation can go very wrong very quickly).

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

zaphod no please

I'm sorry but he's right, warm apple cider (the non-alcoholic kind) is pretty good

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Saint Freak posted:

I had a Romanian Diff Eq professor in college that swore by vinegar before drinking. His big advice was "You can eat steak and one glass of vodka, or pickle and TEN glass of vodka".

i will eat pickle and no glass of vodka

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

My current favorite thing to drink, on the rare occasions that I have one is a boilermaker made with Boddingtons pub ale and Toki whiskey. Which turned out to be quite tasty

Back when I was young, broke, and substantially more punk our cheap beer of choice was Schmidt which had very exciting pictures of wildlife on the box

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Harrow posted:

I'm sorry but he's right, warm apple cider (the non-alcoholic kind) is pretty good

Oh, yeah totally it is (love a good apple cider donut and hot apple cider at the orchard in the fall) but warm hard cider sounds wretched.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Saint Freak posted:

Google suggests ths is not true and that you were scammed.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Harrow posted:

The way Prohibition changed apple production in the US is pretty interesting, I think. Pre-Prohibition, most apples were grown for hard cider or for apple-based liquors like applejack. Prohibition forced apple growers to switch over to growing apples meant for eating instead of fermenting. That snowballed when beer, wine, and other liquors became more popular during and after Prohibition, and it's only fairly recently that hard ciders have started to make a real comeback in the US. Also what we call "applejack" now is pretty different from what it used to be, largely due to it no longer being freeze-distilled (probably a good thing, because freeze distillation can go very wrong very quickly).

This is super interesting too

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

I said come in! posted:

Google suggests ths is not true and that you were scammed.

gently caress. That was the one part of college I was thinking wasn't a scam!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Hmm I haven't tried "hard ciders" much, maybe that's the thing for today

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Oh, yeah totally it is (love a good apple cider donut and hot apple cider at the orchard in the fall) but warm hard cider sounds wretched.

This is just like mulled wine or a hot toddy right? Probably good imo

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Stores will even sell pre-spiced soft cider in the winter, which is extremely bad cold but delightful heated up

I should look into spicing my own cider this winter, I bet I could do better than store bought

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

the best spring summer beer is the humble saison

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There's a hard cider by Wyder's that's aged in tequila barrels that my girlfriend absolutely loves, but I don't think it's available like anywhere in Massachusetts so that's another thing we'll miss once we move. Her mom loves it too and we tried to find some anywhere near Boston at all and nope, nowhere.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

i cant believe i just got tooled by a childrens game

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Harrow posted:

There's a hard cider by Wyder's that's aged in tequila barrels that my girlfriend absolutely loves, but I don't think it's available like anywhere in Massachusetts so that's another thing we'll miss once we move. Her mom loves it too and we tried to find some anywhere near Boston at all and nope, nowhere.

Time to learn to love the New England IPA because that's what everyone is making!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Time to learn to love the New England IPA because that's what everyone is making!

Fine by me, but my girlfriend isn't much of a beer drinker and is way into cider.

Got any favorite New England beers? I'm officially moving at the end of August and I want to know what I have to look forward to.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Sometimes in the fall i'll make a big batch of apfelwein, it's like a super super dry and strong german cider. It's also the easiest fermentation recipe I know and is nearly impossible to gently caress up.

The recipe is: 5 gallons fresh apple cider, 2lb dextrose, 1 packet wine yeast (pref. montrachet, though i've used ale yeast like nottingham before with no problems). Dump all of the above in a sanitized and sealed container with an airlock, wait at least 3 months (but it's really best at 6-8), enjoy.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Violen posted:

i cant believe i just got tooled by a childrens game

lol owned

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I should learn a sangria recipe

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

the best spring summer beer is the humble saison

The regal saison.

NEIPA is pretty cool, and there are actually products that don't taste like like potpourri swill. I like the Cat's Meow by Exhibit A, it is advertised as 'Catnip for Humans'. It has been my favorite alcoholic beverage for a the last year+

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Warm apple cider is deeply wrong

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I like a good saison but some of the craftier ones get extremely funky with it

like, spontaneous fermentation is awesome but maybe a commercial product should not taste entirely like a damp barn

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Harrow posted:

Fine by me, but my girlfriend isn't much of a beer drinker and is way into cider.

Got any favorite New England beers? I'm officially moving at the end of August and I want to know what I have to look forward to.

Tree House is ~1 hour outside of Boston and is real nice and they have a gorgeous location. If you want to take a nice weekend trip I'd say to go up to Alchemist Beer and Hill's Farmstead waaaaaayyyy up in Vermont. Trillium in Boston proper and is really good. Honestly you can probably throw a rock and find a good brewery nowadays but those four are some of the tip-top brewers in the region.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Cisco Brewery is a great summer day trip from boston. Just avoid the rest of nantucket it's a horrible place full of assholes.