Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Mikl posted:

I am wholly prepared for this to be some bullshit that will make me mad.

My guess is it's related to the King of Hearts being the only king without a moustache, but I feel there're a lot of intermediate steps we're missing here.

Are these cases adapted from books? How long were they before they were trimmed down into five daily strips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

My guess is that it's Fred. All four kings in an English Pattern Deck of playing cards have moustaches.

Edit: Of course this apparently is not universally the case, that's the kind of crap I've come to expect from Encyclopedia Brown.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Mikl posted:

I am wholly prepared for this to be some bullshit that will make me mad.

Also gently caress off Tracy. "He didn't do it!" says the suspect's wife. "He didn't do it!" says the suspect's friend. "Shut up! He clearly sabotaged the boat's GPS because reasons!" says Tracy. gently caress off.

It's behind one of the large King posters on the wall. In a traditional deck of cards, all of the kings have moustaches except for one (The "Suicide King")

maltesh posted:

My guess is that it's Fred. All four kings in an English Pattern Deck of playing cards have moustaches.

Hahaha gently caress yes.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Presto posted:

Isn't this basically the entirety of Mary Worth? Dogs, muffins, and borderline personality disorders.

The Comic Strip Megathread: Dogs, Muffins, and Borderline Personality Disorders

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I like the new stuff Allison is doing but when Bad Machinery is knocking it out of the park like with that strip there's just no comparison. :allears:

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze is a threat and a menace.

As an actual fan of Spider-Man I wanna belt out a giant gently caress you to Working Daze. JJJ is one of the most popular and high quality characters, a gold standard in supporting cast. "Ah but the joke wouldn't work if it was accurate." Luckily all jokes in WD don't work so no need to be concerned there.

A nerd strip written by nerds that doesn't have much interest in even cursory research or fandom in nerd culture? Reminds me of another train wreck strip.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Doomykins posted:

Jucika "48 - Jucika and Patient Visitors"

A practice that is very funny in hindsight, especially after the last year. It used to be a thing to visit sick people to keep them company. I could understand checking in on somebody, maybe helping them out briefly or making sure they get food and water and medicine but a sensible chuckle at a bunch of healthy people just hanging out and helping the cold/flu spread.

For the popular question of "what things that were just part of life growing up will people look back on as barbaric" I'm a bit surprised chicken pox parties never occurred to me. It should've. Vaccines can really change things.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

NRVNQSR posted:

Are these cases adapted from books? How long were they before they were trimmed down into five daily strips?

Yes, they're adapted from the EB books. As I recall, the stories weren't terribly long in print form -- five or six pages each, plus one page for the solution.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

NRVNQSR posted:

2-3 pages if I recall. Just enough framework to set the scene and hide a gotcha, then on to the next one. In my head some are just a paragraph while others clearly needed more setup, but there were others in the genre that were actually just a page each so It all blurs too much to say definitively.

Edit: okay, EB were longer, about ten pages with more worldbuilding. I got it mixed up with Two-Minute Mysteries, other books Donald J Sobol wrote in the same style with Dr Haledjian. Those cut out the worldbuilding and just had the facts on one page and answer on the next.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 12, 2021

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

Oh, come on, it's obvious. Giant Robot Kitty Cop. It's an evil twin story AND a giant robot story! It was good enough for Godzilla and it's good enough for you.

Sarah Morgan is definitely going to give this dude his idea for his next big book! You're a hero, honey! A genius!

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

I'm guessing exactly what everyone else is thinking it all has to do with playing cards, like the ones on the wall. I refuse to look at an actual deck of cards for this, but going from the art in the second panel I'll say probably the guy without the mustache is the thief and the will is maybe behind the King of Hearts painting, since he's also sans-stache

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

Also, here's an album for Nekonaughey comics from 2014 + 2015!
https://imgur.com/a/Wfjuk08

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Selachian posted:

The thing is, when Zits first started running, I remember quite a few pissy letters to the editor about what a nasty, unpleasant kid Jeremy was. When your point of comparison for comic strip teens is Archie, or Blondie and Dagwood's kids, or even, God save us, Michael Patterson, Jeremy's sighing and eye-rolling at his parents looks like a shocking act of rebellion.

Zits started when I was 16 and my mom though it was perfect.

nishi koichi posted:

but pumpkin pie doesn't have a top crust

Custard pies are a category of pie which do not have a top crust.

...now how about Gedeckter Apfelkuchen?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Language that makes sense is too lojban. Embrace irregularities.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Julet Esqu posted:

Yes, Bernice, I agree. It IS weird for a grown-rear end adult who likes another adult to pussyfoot around with indirect little schemes and middle-school hijinx instead of just asking for a date in a straightforward manner.
I don't think you understand. *Girls* don't ask *guys* for a date. It's just Not Done.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Ghostlight posted:

Also, here's an album for Nekonaughey comics from 2014 + 2015!
https://imgur.com/a/Wfjuk08

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I feel like the book might have said that the father loved playing cards or something and that was supposed to clue the reader in "It has something to do with playing cards" but none of this was mentioned in the comic strip so right before the answer is revealed they just draw the guy with giant playing card posters all over his house.

And none of this changes the fact that it isn't a job for the police and in fact nobody should solve this case so that the money can go to charity.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Dinky Dinkerton, Flyin' Jenny, and The Red Knight Nov. 12th, 1940

Axa

I mean, it's a touch hypocritical, Axa. Remember the fish-men who nearly drowned you because you couldn't stop going on about how handsome they were? Or that time you couldn't bring yourself to watch a gladiatorial match until a hot guy showed up?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Twelve by Pies posted:

And none of this changes the fact that it isn't a job for the police and in fact nobody should solve this case so that the money can go to charity.

Come to think of it, why is the thief even hanging around, if he believes the note?

If the will isn't found, he gets nothing.

If the will is found, he gets nothing.

Maybe none of the King sons actually stole anything, and George only thinks one of them did.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
You know Robot Mark is, half the time, sighing as he goes to save Axa again. And again. And again.

Damnit Axa, just find a tree and live with Mark!

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (May 20, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (July 13, 1918)

Banana Oil! (March 21, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (July 1, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (December 2, 1935)

Mopsy (January 30, 1937)

Dark Laughter (August 25, 1945)

Those Were the Days (April 23, 1953)

Hertha?

Wee Pals (August 20, 1965)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Selachian posted:

Deathless Deer 2/22-24/43

"Yeah, zct you too, buddy."

How does a bird, or anyone else, pronounce "klxn"?

So we have another twist in the Deathless Deer saga. When the strip first came out, it was picked up by 200 papers nationwide, mostly on the strength of McMein’s reputation and Patterson’s newspaper connections. And then it proved to be an almost instant flop, between the stiff art and the meandering plot.

But the strip’s publisher, Joseph Patterson of the Daily News (who was, not incidentally, Alicia Patterson’s father) had a plan to rescue it. He recruited Zack Mosley, writer-artist of the popular adventure strip Smilin’ Jack, to come aboard as a ghostwriter and punch up Alicia’s scripts.

Mosley never got a credit for his work on Deathless Deer. I was wondering if we’d be able to tell when his contribution started. From the way the dialogue has suddenly turned more slangy and there’s actually a bit of action happening, I think we’re seeing the start of the Mosley era now.

If you like playing Six Degrees of Separation, Mosley used to be roommates with Russell (Flyin’ Jenny) Keaton. Also, Joseph Patterson was the editor who initially rejected Brenda Starr because he didn’t approve of “women cartoonists." He was eventually convinced to print Brenda by his assistant, Mollie Slott — the great-great aunt of Marvel writer Dan Slott.

Retconning the bird with a gift of gab definitely feels like a somewhat dubious turning point in the saga. Also, suddenly the art looks more cartoony, instead of the "early draft magazine illustration" style from the beginning. Regardless, for the purposes of making the smash hit of 1943, it's definitely a bad sign when the story behind the scenes is more interesting than what's on the page.

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (October 7, 1933)

Peanuts (May 15, 1974)

Sucks At Crowdfundingbean

COVIDshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (December 11, 1937)

Out Our Way (August 6-8, 1936; spoilered for the usual reasons)

Toonerville Folks (August 2-4, 1917)

Dok's "Diplomatic Breakdown" Duck (August 7, 1913)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

EasyEW posted:

Sucks At Crowdfundingbean

Shocking that crowdfunding choir robes for a small town Ohio church isn't what the kids are into these days.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

There's something quietly hateful about Batiuk calling his GoFundMe equivalent "MoneyForNothing".

The Dinette Set likes to get close to the action.

Working Daze always brings me down.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix probably should have done a background check or something.

Cul De Sac makes its own fun.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Boy. Axa sure gives a poo poo about these ants, huh?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Hel posted:

It's really nice to read Blueberry after only hearing references to it. It's actually pretty good, though I suspect it will soon fall into the same spot as Corto, where is stop reading it in the thread because I want to buy them for myself.

Mikl posted:

Blueberry is really good.

Aww, bless. You'll make me all blushy-blushy. And remember, if you do buy these comics (which unfortunately do have the stereotypical 'Native-American-people-talk-like-cavemen trope), you do get to enjoy all these pages in colour! And I encourage you to do buy these comics, since it makes me feel so much less worse about posting them up here.

Re. Dark Laughter - were to Zoot Suit 'riots' before, during or after WW2? And did they take place in New York? I think they occurred in San Francisco...

Also:

EasyEW posted:

Toonerville Folks (August 2-4, 1917)

Katrinka awakens something terrible in the local dog-catcher.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 13, 2021

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Evil Mastermind posted:

There's something quietly hateful about Batiuk calling his GoFundMe equivalent "MoneyForNothing".

I'm guessing the next strip will be "well, lousy modern gizmo doesn't work, we'll have to things the old fashioned way *cue bake sale*"

But yeah, there's open loathing there for the idea of peer-to-peer charity.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

What a pointless waste of mulch

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Ok so I haven’t read the day’s posts since I put up Zits today but I have AMAZING news: I went to a (fully vaccinated) housewarming party tonight, and unbeknownst to me, the host is the great grand daughter of a former Chicago Tribune writer. Long story short, I got all of the (mediocre) shots of the comics page of the Chicago Tribune 8/2/69, the day they published the Apollo photos. I didn’t dare take more than the most rudimentary shots, because the paper would’ve fallen apart in my hands, and the light was bad, but I’m gonna spend some time optimizing these to the best of my ability for the thread. I may have wasted a night that could’ve been a party, but goddammit I got some history!

Can’t see it from my establishing shot, but a Jets victory was above the fold.

I’m gonna figure out how to edit these properly and (my mouth to G-D’s ears, get as far into this archival source as I can. Holy poo poo am I excited) and start posting what I have

If you ever want to make sure you’ll be left alone at a party, just read my posts for tips, everybody thighs I was super cool.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

lmao

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pondus

The Good Innvandrer

Intet Nytt Fra Hjemmefronten

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: webcomics, am I right? (April 16-22, 2001)

This of course was more than ten years before Patreon. I honestly don't know if "webcomic author" was a viable profession back in the early 'aughts; even now, unless you're super big, making a webcomic usually isn't enough to make a living off of.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (September 1, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (September 1, 1999)

Garfield Classic (September 1, 1989)

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

davidspackage posted:

I'm guessing the next strip will be "well, lousy modern gizmo doesn't work, we'll have to things the old fashioned way *cue bake sale*"

Followed by a week of Young People coming up to the bake sale table completely gobsmacked at this totally new concept ("...and in return, we get... cookies?!") while Dinkle and gang look smugly on

I think I said it before, but Batiuk can go get hosed for that contemptible "moneyfornothing" bullshit. (Did the heavenly host descend upon Saint Lisa bearing funding for her chemo treatments, or did Les hold a bake sale? Or did that just not matter?)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Samovar posted:

Re. Dark Laughter - were to Zoot Suit 'riots' before, during or after WW2? And did they take place in New York? I think they occurred in San Francisco...

During. The Zoot Suit Riots happened in Los Angeles in 1943, mostly involving white military and cops attacking Mexican-Americans in the Chavez Ravine neighborhood (where Dodger Stadium was later built, but that's another can of worms entirely). In fact, when Harrington drew that particular Dark Laughter, zoot suits had been banned for the rest of the war because they allegedly wasted cloth, and were falling out of style anyway.

Busi

Mimes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 5/12/01

ACID Starr 6/17-19/46

\

Smokey Stover 2/2/41

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFVeJ4wHWdQ

Richard's Poor Almanac

Selachian fucked around with this message at 12:40 on May 13, 2021

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "49 - Jucika and the Lack Of Water"

"Jucika and the Urgent Work"

"Büfé = Buffet"

No! Don't put Jucika into the wage cage! :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Doomykins posted:

Jucika "49 - Jucika and the Lack Of Water"

"Jucika and the Urgent Work"

"Büfé = Buffet"

No! Don't put Jucika into the wage cage! :ohdear:

how many years apart are these? the art style seems to have evolved. Also she'd make a great pinup girl tattoo... hrm...