Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I would still never use a DST in null. Some Sabre could just follow you and bubble you again if he really wanted since you generally take eons to align.

BRs are better now for sure but you do lose a spot for a nano in the low so it's not all gravy.

(Probably unpopular opinion): Next change we need to see is a weapons timer for interdictors after they drop a bubble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Mederlock posted:

(Probably unpopular opinion): Next change we need to see is a weapons timer for interdictors after they drop a bubble.

They did this once for awhile and it was Very Bad

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Rust Martialis posted:

I've eaten hàkarl, it's for sale at the airport. Just chew with your mouth shut. Apart from a mild tang, it's pretty inoffensive. If you breathe through your mouth, though, hobo pee smell.

I too smell hobo pee smell and decide that whatever is emanating said smell should be eaten by me.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Dik Hz posted:

I won't claim CCP is good at their jobs or anything. But this feels like a halfway step towards something else.

Sweet summer child. They don't even know what the next step is after the announce a change.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Agrikk posted:

I too smell hobo pee smell and decide that whatever is emanating said smell should be eaten by me.

Eh, hakarl is a food of necessity. It's a way to make a normally ammonia-ridden poison nuisance meat into something that can keep you alive through winter. Foods of necessity have a way of becoming intertwined with the culture that birthed them and surviving past their original utility. Lutefisk is the same way.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

CainFortea posted:

Sweet summer child. They don't even know what the next step is after the announce a change.
What's this "sweet summer child" poo poo? I specifically qualified that statement with cynicism.

Bless your heart.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

:ullerrm: time.

WCS changes: Meh. Only bots and cowards use stabs anyways. (And RonUSMC, but I'm repeating myself.) It might make hunting FRAT Ishtars a bit easier. The ability to only fit one kinda sucks for people who used to run gatecamps in highsec/lowsec using heavily stabbed DSTs; they'll need to switch to blockade runners now.

Nullification changes: Nice for data/relic site runners and nullsec haulers. Bubble-immune stealth bombers are going to be absurdly powerful, both for bombing run setups and for doing initial tackle/cyno for blops. Actually buffs T3s. Fucks interceptors hard.

Specific thoughts on inties:

Travelceptors aren't dead yet, but they're nerfed pretty hard. With the role bonus, they can only push the Immunity button once every 95secs (20sec cycle time + 75sec reactivation delay); if two gates in a row are bubbled and they're close together, your immunity might not actually be up again by the time your gate cloak expires.

Immunity is going to be really unattractive for fleet interceptors:

* Even with a 50% role bonus, it's still going to be a 25% penalty to lock range. That cuts a Stiletto's lock range to 27km; fitting signal amps or ionic rigs is going to be mandatory.

* The 50% lock speed penalty is even rougher on fleet ceptors; that's the same as if you fitted a WCS today. Stiletto drops to 606mm base -- that's 4 seconds to lock non-MWDing frigs, 3 seconds for cruisers.

* Activating the module needs ~60% of a Stiletto's capacitor with an MWD fitted, or ~45% of an Ares with MWD.

* The module needs a lot of CPU; some Crow and Ares fits may no longer be viable, even if all of the above was fixed.

So, while it may still be an option, it's going to be a big-brains module now, not just "everyone undock Dramafleets." I suspect most inty fits will be non-nullified now.

Other ships: T3 warp-in boosters get a minor buff out of this, I think. You're no longer required to fit the nullification subsystem -- now, it just gives bonuses to the nullification mod. So, they can probably take Chassis Optimization instead for the faster align time and an extra mid for tank.

Frankly, I'm okay with this. Nullification was always a terrible idea for anything other than purely noncombat ships.

e: CCP just updated their post to say that Nullification mods will now fit on all T1 and Faction frigates as well. Kinda a "meh" there in that none of them play a concrete role that is made more amazing by unbonused nullification. At most, it might make the Dramiel and Garmur competitive with fleet inties for tackle.

e2: Yall, make sure to bubblewrap every drat gate on patch day, because it's gonna be a while before the nullification mods get built in quantity.

e3: NVM the FW comment, I'm way out of date there as it turns out

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 13, 2021

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
I am slightly disappointed that how nullification works is changing, but on the upside - I'm gonna' make so much bank off selling bubbles :getin:

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Roaming is going to suck if this goes through. More reason to bubble gates so just moving your gang around takes longer, and your scout/tackle is now gimped so less likely to catch anything anyway.

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again
The real winners of this war is FRT now having a year to blast ahead industrially of anyone currently actively engaged in the war.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Loky11 posted:

The real winners of this war is FRT now having a year to blast ahead industrially of anyone currently actively engaged in the war.

As if they've not been doing this already.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Really not liking the prospect of nullified bombers, the hulls already punch way above their cost already.

Loky11 posted:

Don't they still kowtow to panfam for some reason? Legit don't get why when panfam will stomp them for content as soon as they're bored with us.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 13, 2021

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
WCS have been useful on my Epithals for runs to the customs offices. Fit two and most solo bombers can't keep you pinned down. Cloaky dictors still get you, of course.

Being able to move through null-sec with a nullified BR might be interesting. Someone was posting earlier about making certain types of NPC missions easier this way.

Edit: And yeah: it's going to be bombers. Bombers everywhere.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Eh, it's worth pointing out that it costs a low mod slot and takes half the bomber's capacitor to fire. It'll lower the bar to entry to bombers, but doesn't necessarily make them more effective.

PAPI's bombing group is up in arms on r/eve because apparently they fit WCS to all their bombers to improve the chances of bombers warping out before they die to Muninns / fast tackle, and that's not going to be as viable anymore. I mostly find this weird, but whatever, folks do things differently, and the meta evolves.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the t1 faction frigates being able to be nullfied is pretty great. my favorite ship the astero is now essentially uncatchable

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

ullerrm posted:

in FW where plexing Tristans

Where? A plexing Tristan?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

rocketrobot posted:

Where? A plexing Tristan?

Okay, never mind that. It's been some years since I did FW, and apparently since I've been gone they changed FW plexes so that you can't enter them if your ship has WCS equipped.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

ullerrm posted:

Okay, never mind that. It's been some years since I did FW, and apparently since I've been gone they changed FW plexes so that you can't enter them if your ship has WCS equipped.

They did yeah, so the farmers would take Ventures instead. By the time both had been banned, FW was dead, and it's never really recovered.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
I guess i have a not terrible character so I applied to get back in to GF. Is there like a discord or something to register on? (he asked, spyishly)

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Well, that was weird. Some PH guy got tackled in this by Delta Sqad thrashers, and ejected from it.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

ullerrm posted:

Well, that was weird. Some PH guy got tackled in this by Delta Sqad thrashers, and ejected from it.

cant gently caress up killboard if you give away your poo poo instead

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
I don't know how much the thread has posted about this, but this does nothing to make travel interceptors catchable- it just makes it more annoying and difficult to travel in travel 'ceppies

it took me 5 minutes to understand this from skimming the patch notes, and about 3 hours trying to convince the [morons] at talking in stations that the only additional travel interceptors that are going to get caught are

1) new players
2) dumb players
3) players so exhausted with lovely boring game mechanics that they cba to pay attention to the game

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

I don't know how much the thread has posted about this, but this does nothing to make travel interceptors catchable- it just makes it more annoying and difficult to travel in travel 'ceppies

it took me 5 minutes to understand this from skimming the patch notes, and about 3 hours trying to convince the [morons] at talking in stations that the only additional travel interceptors that are going to get caught are

1) new players
2) dumb players
3) players so exhausted with lovely boring game mechanics that they cba to pay attention to the game

im 2/3 there so

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

ullerrm posted:

Gotta keep that killboard green.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

OzyMandrill posted:

As with most times when CCP changes core mechanics for no obvious reason...
Globby, what did you do this time?

this pretty much kills lowsec burst jamming as well, CCP really likes to gently caress with poo poo i do i guess

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004
real BDE when devs monitor your every move to find new ways to counter your play style

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
i think the whole point of the nullifer changes is so its easier to chase gangs into a bubble gate camp, so a nerf to t3c bank robbers which makes sense since the main reserve is going to be available 'soon'

PMB
Oct 30, 2002

Moist and Delicious

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I would still never use a DST in null. Some Sabre could just follow you and bubble you again if he really wanted since you generally take eons to align.

BRs are better now for sure but you do lose a spot for a nano in the low so it's not all gravy.

DST has a 6.5 second align with afterburner, so it's either that or a 10second align with the mwd/cloak trick

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

no one knows what CCP's intent is for any change, and they like it like this because it gives fanboys the wiggle room to argue on their behalf from a billion viewpoints.

many times people state that CCP's goal is to "add the human to the game", basically requiring human input in more activities without knowing why that could be a benefit

for example, requiring human attention for monotonous activities and making things just take longer to do for no reason other than 'adding the human element' you're just exhausting your playerbase, not every activity needs to have active brain input to do, but generally those should be more favorable.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The gently caress is this happy horse poo poo?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Yes, it's still possible to travel mostly-safely in travel interceptors after this change goes in. But in order to do so, you need to spend a minimum of 80 seconds per jump, waiting for your module to refresh each time.

That waiting time is going to counteract any advantages in warp speed that an interceptor has over a shuttle -- meaning that the only reason to use a travelceptor over a shuttle is the slim chance of surviving a pipebomb.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

ullerrm posted:

Yes, it's still possible to travel mostly-safely in travel interceptors after this change goes in. But in order to do so, you need to spend a minimum of 80 seconds per jump, waiting for your module to refresh each time.

That waiting time is going to counteract any advantages in warp speed that an interceptor has over a shuttle -- meaning that the only reason to use a travelceptor over a shuttle is the slim chance of surviving a pipebomb.

yeah it's just what was the point of this change then? people can do whatever they wanted before it just makes it more annoying for everyone involved

really weird change that no one can explain

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Scikar posted:

They did yeah, so the farmers would take Ventures instead. By the time both had been banned, FW was dead, and it's never really recovered.

In the amarr/minmil war zone our Intel suggests minmil are trained to avoid fights outside of small gang with the known fcs and there are a lot of farmers who will dplex with an insured empty Hull so even if they die they haven't lost anything

It's stupid

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Eh, hakarl is a food of necessity. It's a way to make a normally ammonia-ridden poison nuisance meat into something that can keep you alive through winter. Foods of necessity have a way of becoming intertwined with the culture that birthed them and surviving past their original utility. Lutefisk is the same way.

And haggis
And blood sausage
And holodets

But I still won’t eat that starvation culture-food. Nuh-uh. No way,

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Agrikk posted:

holodets

:barf:

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

If both sides of a gate are camped wouldn't that 100% catch a intercepter? Turn the module on to get through the first bubble and the gate turns it off. You then have an 80 second timer on the other sider of the gate stuck in a bubble right? Or am I missing sonething?

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
thats pretty much the idea but that requires both sides of the gate camped to be a problem. otherwise, you just make sure the module is off cooldown before jumping

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

for example, requiring human attention for monotonous activities and making things just take longer to do for no reason other than 'adding the human element' you're just exhausting your playerbase, not every activity needs to have active brain input to do, but generally those should be more favorable.

It is all they can do when it comes to designing gameplay for PVE. Repetitive mind numbing activities that involve waiting for half the time (waiting for your mining barge to be full, waiting for your ship to kill the next rat). And you need to repeat that again and again and again to get any decent income.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csWA5JBJ9jQ

Just watch this, and you'll get the CCP vibes immediately- Art team nails it, yet the gameplay devs can't create an interesting PVE experience that isn't just "shoot idiot NPC's over and over". High risk, or high input activities should with a high reward should be brought in to move people away from AFK (and bot friendly) gameplay. At least they're getting somewhere with abyssal PVE.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

angry armadillo posted:

In the amarr/minmil war zone our Intel suggests minmil are trained to avoid fights outside of small gang with the known fcs and there are a lot of farmers who will dplex with an insured empty Hull so even if they die they haven't lost anything

It's stupid

To be fair, the experience of most newbros going into novice plexes is "die horribly over and over to vets with blingy pods in pirate/faction frigs" - the smarter ones will learn how to dscan and what they can/can't fight, but a whole chunk are going to burn out long before they figure out what even is a Daredevil anyway? If I had to give advice to those folks in one sentence it would probably be "don't, unless you a) know your engagement profile properly, or b) are happy to get farmed a bunch". It's the same sorry story as everywhere else though, the area is supposed to encourage a particular activity (fighting for the plexes and being rewarded for winning), but the mechanics don't work out that way, so you make more money by working around them and you're left starving if you just want a reasonably fair fight.

OMFG FURRY posted:

i think the whole point of the nullifer changes is so its easier to chase gangs into a bubble gate camp, so a nerf to t3c bank robbers which makes sense since the main reserve is going to be available 'soon'

What do you expect to change here? If I were in a cloaky nullified 100MN T3C, purely to raid ESS and run away, I'd do it with Pochven filaments in my back pocket and I'd just leave if I saw a bubble or a dictor on a gate. If I were looking for a fight then I'd use faction/pirate cruisers and BCs which aren't nullified anyway. I don't think you're likely to catch any more T3Cs after this change than you already did before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Scikar posted:

you're left starving if you just want a reasonably fair fight.
Can we stop with this nonsense? Literally nobody in EvE wants fair fights. They want to win.